The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM   #76
Simply Red
NATURAL SELECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Welcome aboard, Dictionary.
Methlabulous
Simply Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #77
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
I love how the information is relegated onto the national media. Poe will be playing in the sub package, which Romeo ran about 60% of the time last year and will run more this year, since we obviously didn't against Tebow last year (heavy running team), but will this year in the two games against Manning (heavy throwing team).

He's playing passing downs because he has a lot of work to do against the run.
What exactly is Dontari Poe going to do against the pass?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #78
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What exactly is Dontari Poe going to do against the pass?
His best asset right now is his pass rush. He was a pretty good pass rusher at Memphis and has a lot of quickness. Dude also ran a 4.98, which is ridiculous for a 350 pound man.

He's not ready to 2 gap.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:33 AM   #79
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Anyone who is surprised by this clearly hasn't been paying attention. Everyone knew Poe was a project, and we won't really know whether he'll pan out for at least a couple seasons.
I remember our project player in George Foster. Waste of a high draft pick. You better hope it isn't that bad and yours is at #11.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #80
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
His best asset right now is his pass rush. He was a pretty good pass rusher at Memphis and has a lot of quickness. Dude also ran a 4.98, which is ridiculous for a 350 pound man.

He's not ready to 2 gap.
The guy had five sacks in three years at the college level. Actually at Conference USA level to be precise.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 08-15-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #81
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
The guy had five sacks in three years at the college level. Actually at Conference USA level to be precise.

Doesn't mean he wasn't a good pass rusher. We're talking about a DT, not a DE or OLB.

A lot of scouting reports on the guy talked about his pass rush ability.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1717351

Quote:
Pass rush: Flashes exciting burst off the snap to penetrate. Can slip through gaps with his get-off and is an intimidating force for quarterbacks to avoid. Shows some natural balance and lateral agility to break down and chase the quarterback but has only phone booth quickness overall and is quickly left behind by mobile/alert passers
http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings...#ixzz23bJFnZ7V

Quote:
Surprising athleticism, impressive first step, consistent get-off, good initial quickness, can beat linemen with his get-off and one move
http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...ontari-Poe.php

Quote:
Extraordinary physical specimen with truly rare blend of size / strength / athleticism.

NFL Player Comparison: B.J. Raji
Raji is another guy who goes about 340 and is a very good pass rusher.

We drafted Poe in part to play in our nickel package because A) he could rush the passer and B) he's also big enough to hold up against the run in that package. Last year we had issues getting run on in our nickel.

I don't even like the pick, because he was drafted way too high, but the guy has talent as a pass rusher.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #82
Bacchus

Quote:
Doesn't mean he wasn't a good pass rusher. We're talking about a DT, not a DE or OLB.

A lot of scouting reports on the guy talked about his pass rush ability.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1717351

http://sidelinescouting.com/rankings...#ixzz23bJFnZ7V

http://www.draftcountdown.com/Scouti...ontari-Poe.php

Raji is another guy who goes about 340 and is a very good pass rusher.

We drafted Poe in part to play in our nickel package because A) he could rush the passer and B) he's also big enough to hold up against the run in that package. Last year we had issues getting run on in our nickel.

I don't even like the pick, because he was drafted way too high, but the guy has talent as a pass rusher.
Boob, he sucks you should save yourself embarrassment right now. He wishes he could be as good as Dorsey.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #83
dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Red View Post
Methlabulous
I have lobbied for "Methlabulous" and "MethWolfe" as coup de grace words in Scrabble as well as Words with Friends.

/success!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #84
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Boob, he sucks you should save yourself embarrassment right now. He wishes he could be as good as Dorsey.
^ This.

There were LSU games where Dorsey looked like the most dominant D-lineman in the country. Poe, meh. Couldn't even dominate in C-USA.

BJ Raji? Raji was a real standout at BC. He made plays and looked dominant quite often. The only real question was if that was a product of being next to another "dominant" lineman (Ron Brace). Don't even try to compare Poe to Raji, their play and production are so tremendously different.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #85
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

Here's the most obvious difference between Raji and Poe to me. Everyone noticed BJ Raji while he was playing. Everyone noticed Poe after he worked out at the combine. All I need to know.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #86
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:

He's not ready to 2 gap.
"I can say, and I am responsible for what I am saying, that they have started to commit suicide under the walls of Baghdad. We will encourage them to commit more suicides quickly."
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #87
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think Haloti Ngata is the proper comparison for what Poe should be like as a player. Brian Billick did a great job explaining it (I'll have to find the video).

Even Ngata needed to be developed. Ngata didn't become a dominating DL until his 4th season, and he is playing on the freaking Ravens defense.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #88
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I think Haloti Ngata is the proper comparison for what Poe should be like as a player. Brian Billick did a great job explaining it (I'll have to find the video).

Even Ngata needed to be developed. Ngata didn't become a dominating DL until his 4th season, and he is playing on the freaking Ravens defense.
You are clearly on meth if you think Ngata wasn't dominant until 2009. He was a freaking All-Pro in 2008.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #89
dictionary

Quote:

THAT is a very lofty comparison considering that Ngata actually started his rookie season. The "should" is really based on what most folks here have been pointing toward--production or the lack thereof.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #90
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

Fail. . .
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #91
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

That's what I don't get about "project players" with measurables. The guy is 350 pounds and runs a sub 5 second 40 and has overall ridiculous measurements for a guy his size, yet he was only 2nd team all conference USA. He had 5 sacks in three years while playing the likes of UTEP, Tulane, and Rice, and rushing the QB is his supposed to be his "strong suit."

If you can't get to the QB against Central Florida, how the **** are you going to get to the QB against Mike Iupati or Joe Thomas?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #92
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:

Wasn't Poe the player that looked 'impressive' at the combine, but didn't really have much of college resume so to speak. I guess the proof is in the pudding.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #93
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I wont rip on Conference USA players right now as we have Wolfe coming from the same conference. Of course our #1 draft pick (and much further back from Poe) will be in most plays. At #11, I would prefer a project guy like a QB. DT are hard to come by and I think the chiefs panicked.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #94
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I wont rip on Conference USA players right now as we have Wolfe coming from the same conference. Of course our #1 draft pick (and much further back from Poe) will be in most plays. At #11, I would prefer a project guy like a QB. DT are hard to come by and I think the chiefs panicked.
Cincinnati is a Big East school. Memphis didn't move until this year. I get that Poe needs time to develop as a 2-gap. Still though the fact that the kid couldn't produce quality numbers in C-USA with his size, strength and speed is a massive red flag. Meth Wolfe was an All-American and averaged a sack per game facing the same level of competition, despite having less raw talent.

Look like Tarzan, play like Jane players rarely pan out. Especially in the trenches.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #95
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
The problem is, we (the Chiefs) really didn't have a ton of holes aside from NT and QB. Say what you will about Cassel, but the Chiefs are a more complete team outside of him than any time in the past decade. Outside of those two positions, any pick at #11 would have had to take the place of either a solid starter or a young guy who is still developing.

By the time we got to #11, the only QB who was even CLOSE to that level of talent left was Weeden, and that would have been awful, awful value (not to mention all of the other issues with Weeden).

So basically, the Chiefs took a project guy who COULD work out to be absolutely incredible, but who they weren't really counting on to step in and be "the guy" day 1. Was it worth the #11 pick? Probably not. But aside from saying that we should have traded down (which is always much easier said than done), I'm not sure who I would have rather seen them take.
DaFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #96
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
The problem is, we (the Chiefs) really didn't have a ton of holes aside from NT and QB. Say what you will about Cassel, but the Chiefs are a more complete team outside of him than any time in the past decade. Outside of those two positions, any pick at #11 would have had to take the place of either a solid starter or a young guy who is still developing.

By the time we got to #11, the only QB who was even CLOSE to that level of talent left was Weeden, and that would have been awful, awful value (not to mention all of the other issues with Weeden).

So basically, the Chiefs took a project guy who COULD work out to be absolutely incredible, but who they weren't really counting on to step in and be "the guy" day 1. Was it worth the #11 pick? Probably not. But aside from saying that we should have traded down (which is always much easier said than done), I'm not sure who I would have rather seen them take.
This is a reasonable post. Isn't your OLine suspect or is my memory off base?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #97
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
This is a reasonable post. Isn't your OLine suspect or is my memory off base?
Suspect, yes. But much better than it has been in the past. The weak link on our OL has been RT, and we brought in Eric Winston from the Texans who has solidified that hole nicely.

The interior is the bigger concern at this point, but Jon Asamoah and Rodney Hudson are both young guys that are developing, so you can't really replace them through the draft.

Ryal Lilja is the one remaining old guy that could probably be upgraded, but we picked Jeff Allen in the 2nd round that will hopefully pan out and take his place. Regardless, I don't think anyone will argue that it's a good idea to take a guard at #11.

Last edited by DaFace; 08-15-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Old 08-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #98
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

fair enough but why not try to trade down? Even if kc took a trade that wasn't exactly great value, that is, they kinda did like the Broncos did and made a trade down that "could have been better"? At the very least you gain a few picks.

Heck, Pioli could have traded the #11 for something like a #1 in next year's draft and a #2 in this years draft, and some change.

Poe was just not worth the 11th pick IMHO. If I was Pioli I would have done everything possible to trade that pick even if it meant taking a trade that would be a little undervalued.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #99
DaFace
Resident Chiefs Lurker

Yep.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
fair enough but why not try to trade down? Even if kc took a trade that wasn't exactly great value, that is, they kinda did like the Broncos did and made a trade down that "could have been better"? At the very least you gain a few picks.

Heck, Pioli could have traded the #11 for something like a #1 in next year's draft and a #2 in this years draft, and some change.

Poe was just not worth the 11th pick IMHO. If I was Pioli I would have done everything possible to trade that pick even if it meant taking a trade that would be a little undervalued.
Yeah, I don't disagree. It would have been nice to get an extra pick or two out of it. But wouldn't you agree that trading down isn't always what you hope it will be? I know you guys got lots of extra picks this year by trading down, but doesn't a part of you wonder who you COULD have had if you'd just "reached" a bit?

I'm no Pioli apologist; his refusal to address the QB situation is nearly unforgivable at this point. But aside from that, he's quietly and slowly taken a team that was absolutely god awful a few years ago and made it respectable.

Along the way, we've reached for a number of guys (Dorsey, Jackson, and Poe are the poster children here), and they are definitely being paid way more than they are worth. But at the same time, Dorsey and Jackson have turned into very solid, if not spectacular players. If Pioli feels like he has to reach a bit to get the guys he really thinks are worth it, I can't fault him based on the recent track record.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #100
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Suspect, yes. But much better than it has been in the past. The weak link on our OL has been RT, and we brought in Eric Winston from the Texans who has solidified that hole nicely.

The interior is the bigger concern at this point, but Jon Asamoah and Rodney Hudson are both young guys that are developing, so you can't really replace them through the draft.

Ryal Lilja is the one remaining old guy that could probably be upgraded, but we picked Jeff Allen in the 2nd round that will hopefully pan out and take his place. Regardless, I don't think anyone will argue that it's a good idea to take a guard at #11.
Yeah, we're more or less in the same boat at interior as Beadles and Walton are still developing.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote