The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default OT- Oscar Pistorius is it a fair race ?

So there is no doubt Oscar Pistorius ( The Blade Runner ) is an amazing inspiration to everyone. My question is, is it a fair race ? People are saying the spring legs give him an advantage. What do you think ?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1344096780

:
Attached Images

Last edited by Quoydogs; 08-04-2012 at 09:27 AM..
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
So there is no doubt Oscar Pistorius ( The Blade Runner ) is an amazing inspiration to everyone. My question is, is it a fair race ? People are saying the spring legs give him an advantage. What do you think ?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/attachm...1&d=1344096780
Well... Isn't that what the paralympics are for?
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Well... Isn't that what the paralympics are for?
He races today in the Olympics
Old 08-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I don't think I ever really imagined a time where I thought people would be asking does a dude with no legs have an unfair advantage over people with legs.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I don't think I ever really imagined a time where I thought people would be asking does a dude with no legs have an unfair advantage over people with legs.
It's amazing what he has done. He should be an inspiration to us all. But you can see what people are talking about. I think the springs could give you a clear advantage.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
It's amazing what he has done. He should be an inspiration to us all. But you can see what people are talking about. I think the springs could give you a clear advantage.
No other amputee is close to his times with the same legs though.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

I'd say that at this point, because he's the only one, it's hard to say that there is an advantage. Seeing that there are many double amputation who run with artificial limbs, and he's the only one who has made it this far, it's hard to see this as an advantage. Now, if there are like 10 of these guys at the next Olympics, then it would seem like this is an advantage. And what happens if a runner without an amputation uses this?

So at this point we really don't know.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

I don't think there's a whole lot of spring in those things. He's not getting propelled forward at all, and he's got really excellent running form.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Just watched his run. He doesn't look like he is exerting himself as much as the others. That being said, he clearly is a world class athlete. He puts the countless hours in just like the rest of the Olympians. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it and posting similar times. IMO, he is just an inspirational athlete, hardly a cheat.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
Steve Prefontaine
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The human lower leg has a lot of "spring" by storing and releasing energy in the Achilles, plantar fascia, calf muscles, etc.

I hope his "legs" give him a comparable amount of spring.
Steve Prefontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Just watched his run. He doesn't look like he is exerting himself as much as the others. That being said, he clearly is a world class athlete. He puts the countless hours in just like the rest of the Olympians. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it and posting similar times. IMO, he is just an inspirational athlete, hardly a cheat.
I don't think anyone is calling him a cheat. More looking at it as a unfair advantage.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

Imagine if Bolt has his legs removed on purpose and runs a sub 9 second 100 meter... Until that happens, let the man run and live his life long dream without doubts or comments from the haters.

Forget steriods.... Self mutillation will be the next craze for performance enhancement.

Worst thread in a month.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Bolt doesn't look like he is trying hard when he destroys either. MJ was cool as a cucumber when he put a dagger in your back. Doing hard things and making them look easy means your are good.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Prefontaine View Post
The human lower leg has a lot of "spring" by storing and releasing energy in the Achilles, plantar fascia, calf muscles, etc.

I hope his "legs" give him a comparable amount of spring.
Exactly and I believe this is what they found when they investigated it and allowed him back in. Sorry, but if we're going to go this far, we could say the black runners have an advantage with a longer Achilles. Any fantasy belief of an advantage is knocked down by the fact they are artificial legs.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Not to mention, I assume he didn't lose his legs and suddenly got faster with those. Plus there had to be a hell of an adjustment period.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I say good for him. He's engaging in the true spirit of the Olympics: being the best you can be.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

I would argue that while there probably are some structural and weight benefits of the prosthesis, they probably don't come close to the micro-control that a foot and toes give you. And as it's been pointed out, why is he the only one to be benefiting this much from this technology? That suggests his success is rooted in his athletic exceptionalism. If someone is one of the best in the world, should they be prevented from competitions against their peers because they have artificial limbs? It doesn't seem like they should, but as we advance our technology, we may need to draw some lines...
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
That is not the point. He isn't running with his hands. He is running with special prosethics (sic?) that are very light. I am not sure why he is allowed to run but leave it to political correctness. Just wait until an amputee Afghanistan Veteran white guy that has these same "legs" competes for the 100 yard dash and wins.

That will be proof enough!

He must be fast but it will be hard to tell until a young athlete loses his legs and has to compete like this. No volunteers to do this voluntarily though.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 08-04-2012 at 04:07 PM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
That is not the point. He isn't running with his hands. He is running with special prosethics (sic?) that are very light. I am not sure why he is allowed to run but leave it to political correctness. Just wait until an amputee Afghanistan Veteran white guy that has these same "legs" competes for the 100 yard dash and wins.

That will be proof enough!

He must be fast but it will be hard to tell until a young athlete loses his legs and has to compete like this. No volunteers to do this voluntarily though.
Can you find another legless dude that runs as fast as this guy?
Old 08-04-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Worst thread in a month.
Please. Not even the worst in the last 24 hrs.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=106384

It's a legit question and is being debated everywhere right now.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #21
Pontius Pirate
Tampons are for pussies

Dude was BORN with no legs and is racing against Olympic runners WITH LEGS. Many (no one) people are asking: does the guy with no legs have an advantage? Many (no one) want to know.
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

You can see his blades build up momentum as he goes. Its a totally different thing going on then real legs. He should not be competing IMO. Its a good story but if he was fast enough to win, he would not be allowed its that simple.

How about someone born without arms using robot arms in the shooting competition. Ones that don't waver etc etc, oh and he has a bionic eye also lol. Just opens up a can of worms IMO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
Pontius Pirate
Tampons are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
You can see his blades build up momentum as he goes. Its a totally different thing going on then real legs. He should not be competing IMO. Its a good story but if he was fast enough to win, he would not be allowed its that simple.

How about someone born without arms using robot arms in the shooting competition. Ones that don't waver etc etc, oh and he has a bionic eye also lol. Just opens up a can of worms IMO.
Totally. And how about someone born without a brain competing in chess using a Terminator T2000 neuralnet processor? Or what if you were mangled in a horrible crime and were put back together as Robocop? Would it be fair for Robocop to compete in Judo? Literally, everyone (no one) is asking these hard-hitting and logical questions.
Pontius Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #24
Lycan
Omelette Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontius Pirate View Post
Totally. And how about someone born without a brain competing in chess using a Terminator T2000 neuralnet processor? Or what if you were mangled in a horrible crime and were put back together as Robocop? Would it be fair for Robocop to compete in Judo? Literally, everyone (no one) is asking these hard-hitting and logical questions.
Now I'm picturing Robocop, decked out in Judo gear, crying on the medal stand.

Maybe that will be in the reboot?
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
missingnumber7
Ring of Famer

GO Bison Kick OU

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post

Really I guess all the testing that the international T&F Community did to see if he gained an advantage was for not becuase Cutthemdown says he gained an advantage. Its a 400M race...dude still needs to have the aerobic ability to run that distance at that speed. Hats off to him and a large step for athletes with disabilities and people with disabilities in general.
missingnumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote