The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #376
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Let me get this straight.

Dorsey was hyped like Suh, yet hasn't produced anywhere close to him, and Jackson was picked #3, and then was forced to take a pay cut before his rookie contract was up?

This is your evidence that they aren't busts?
They aren't busts. They aren't world beaters either.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #377
Raider9175
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
1. at bold.

2. Is English your second language? I know 5th graders who have a firmer grasp on grammar, punctuation and sentence structure.
Wow your English grammar might be better than mine. Who cares this is a football board. Why don't you spend your time on that kind of board and leave the football talk to the fans who understand the game.

You obviously don't know football .
Raider9175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #378
Raider9175
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Thanks for taking the time to EXPOSE this..I'll guess raiderjoe and company will choose to IGGY it..
Here is the deal, no one is arguing Peyton manning career. He is a first ballot hall of famer. His accomplishment speak for themselve. Now this is a different conversation if the Broncos got him while he was in his prime(with no health issues).

Where we have a problem is to assume HE the real Peyton Manning. The man is 36 years now, had four very serious neck injuries , didn't play at all in 2011, and His weapons surrounding him aren't as good.

Who cares how he looks throwing the football in shorts, the test won't come till he takes a blindside hit. How many hits can he take before he doesn't get up) See Brett favre and Troy Aikman, in there later stages of their career both took a serious beating every time they threw the ball.
The older you get the more you body starts to feel it .(Now add the four neck surgeries and let see how many games he can play in in 2012.

Caleb Hanie taking the broncos to the promise land. Ask The Bear fans, how did that work out for them.

Last edited by Raider9175; 07-27-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #379
Raider9175
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleymassey View Post
I have to agree with this. I think Oakland made another coaching mistake. They hired a first year coordinator and while the Denver D did improve it was still bad. Denver fans know what happens with you hire a young guy with little experience and a terrible team. As for KC I think they will be very tough so they could be a little higher but Cassel is still not a good QB. As for the chargers, well they never they have gotten worse each of the last four years and I don't expect that to change anytime under Norv Turner. Hopefully Denver can reach 10 wins but we can't forget one injury and they could be a 4 or 6 win team
I'm going to say it slowly and I would advise you to read it twenty times so it sinks in.

The Fact is if not for the injuries on offense, the Raiders would have run away with the AFc West in 2011. That with a Defense that was atrocious. They couldn't stop anyone. That is a fact.

Now not only do they have a top ten offense but they upgraded that offense in several places for 2012. This offense should be top five in 2012. (with the improvements)

If the offense was good enough to win the division if they stayed healthy . What ever they get out of the defense in 2012 is gravy. (the offense will carry this team)

Raiders hired a defensive staff. Let them build the defense. They don't need this defense to be top five to win. All they need to improve this defense to average, and the Raiders are going very far in the playoffs. The raider offense going to be that good(No AFC West defense can handle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfBb...eature=related

Last edited by Raider9175; 07-27-2012 at 11:16 AM..
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #380
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
I'm going to say it slowly and I would advise you to read it twenty times so it sinks in.

The Fact is if not for the injuries on offense, the Raiders would have run away with the AFc West in 2011. That with a Defense that was atrocious. They couldn't stop anyone. That is a fact.

Now not only do they have a top ten offense but they upgraded that offense in several places for 2012. This offense should be top five in 2012. (with the improvements)

If the offense was good enough to win the division if they stayed healthy . What ever they get out of the defense in 2012 is gravy. (the offense will carry this team)

Raiders hired a defensive staff. Let them build the defense. They don't need this defense to be top five to win. All they need to improve this defense to average, and the Raiders are going very far in the playoffs. The raider offense going to be that good(No AFC West defense can handle)

I wouldn't say top 5. That's a helluva prediction. Assuming everyone stays healthy most of the time, then top 10 maybe.

And you're right, we had exceptional injuries last year to go along with the worst D in Raider history. Michael Bush was literally the only RB we could put in the backfield for the last 6 weeks of the season. Yeah, we had Rock Cartwright but he was just an older, slower version of Bush.

There was about 6-7 weeks in a row where we were down to our 5th and 6th WRs; and we had a qb who came in as cold as cold could be.

Now, if we'd kept Al Saunders as our OC, fine. Then top 10 easy. But we didn't. Instead we have Greg Knapp, a guy with a not so great track record. Ask Seahawk fans.

We have a new system, new language, and players who weren't drafted to play in such a system. I think Jacoby Ford will make the transition easily, Moore will eventually make it. But DHB? He finally came into own last season but he ain't the quickest learner in the class. Some think that his off the line speed makes him tailor made for a short and precise passing game; but sports fans love blowing sunshine up each other's asses about how great X player is going to be.

But if it does come together; If the wideouts know their assignments and can get off the ball, and can run their routes precisely, we'll be tough to stop. And IF McFadden is healthy for most games, lookout.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #381
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

I love how you speak in hypothetical "facts." Raider fans are the only ones that are consistently too stupid to understand the difference between the hypothetical and facts. Here's a quick lesson for you. Facts are indisputable events that actually took place in this plane of existence.
Here, let me try doing it Raiderfan way.
Fact: Had the Broncos never hired McDaniels as coach, never traded Jay Cutler, Ryan Clady had never gotten hurt playing basketball and they had drafted Ed Reed instead of Ashley Lelie in 2002 they would have run away with the AFC West in 2011.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #382
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Retard9175, with the time you've wasted in this thread, I could have taught you to write in a coherent manner with proper punctuation.

Do the Raiders attract idiots for fans or does the Oakland public school system suck that bad? I'm guessing it's a strong combination of both.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #383
Raider9175
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacillus Anthracis View Post
I wouldn't say top 5. That's a helluva prediction. Assuming everyone stays healthy most of the time, then top 10 maybe.

And you're right, we had exceptional injuries last year to go along with the worst D in Raider history. Michael Bush was literally the only RB we could put in the backfield for the last 6 weeks of the season. Yeah, we had Rock Cartwright but he was just an older, slower version of Bush.

There was about 6-7 weeks in a row where we were down to our 5th and 6th WRs; and we had a qb who came in as cold as cold could be.

Now, if we'd kept Al Saunders as our OC, fine. Then top 10 easy. But we didn't. Instead we have Greg Knapp, a guy with a not so great track record. Ask Seahawk fans.

We have a new system, new language, and players who weren't drafted to play in such a system. I think Jacoby Ford will make the transition easily, Moore will eventually make it. But DHB? He finally came into own last season but he ain't the quickest learner in the class. Some think that his off the line speed makes him tailor made for a short and precise passing game; but sports fans love blowing sunshine up each other's asses about how great X player is going to be.

But if it does come together; If the wideouts know their assignments and can get off the ball, and can run their routes precisely, we'll be tough to stop. And IF McFadden is healthy for most games, lookout.
Raiders offense will be top five if they stay healthy. The Raiders been a top ten offense the last two years. ( so I don't understand why your lowering the bar - just silly)

The Biggest question with the change in system was the oline.(That was the top worry when the Raiders changed coaches/philosophy)
There is no worries now as Raiders brought in guys that fit that scheme perfect. LT Veldheer and C Wisniiewski can play in any system(both are very smart and very athletic) . Mike Bresiel was the starting guard for the Texans in the new blocking scheme Raiders will be using. . Tony Bergstrom was rated the best zone blocking guard in the draft. Lucas nix was rated as the fourth best. Cooper Carlisle who was a misfit in last year blocking scheme , is a nice fit in this blocking scheme. (nice veteran depth) Alot OF people RT Kill Khalif barnes( had too many penalties) but he was a big part of an oline that only gave up 25 sacks. Joe Barksdale is pushing him for that RT job.

There is no worries what so ever at Wr, as the Raiders are still going to utilize what there wr do best. GO deep. Why would you change anything when you have blazing speed at WR and a Qb who throws a very accurate deep ball. Just the Raiders will be using their running backs and Te more in the passing game. ( more safer passes for C Palmer with just as much chance for big plays.) Carson Palmer doesn't have his best season ever as a pro, than Greg Knapp should be fired .

Now the brillance OF Reggie MCkenzie is he added WR that are suited to WCO ( Juron Criner 6'3 222, Rod Streater 6'3 200 and either Ed Mcgee 6'2 210 and Derek Carrier 6'4 238. Expect Juron Criner to replace DHB when Raiders get in the redzone. (he going to be a big addition to the offense- DHB better be on his game or the kid will get get more time at his expense..)

Everyone of the Raider running backs(DMC, T Jones and M Goodson ) are well suited to run in the new offense. (DMC big run against the Jets was a zone blocking play. All of the Raiders Rb's are capable of takiing it to the house from anywhere , whether its a run or pass. (a defense doesn't want to see any of them running in space)

Even the inexperience Te's are going to put up numbers in this TE friendly system.

Raiders offense is going to be that good in 2012. Expect it to be a top five offense.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #384
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
Raiders offense will be top five if they stay healthy. The Raiders been a top ten offense the last two years. ( so I don't understand why your lowering the bar - just silly)
What? Lowering the bar?

Here's the deal: New coaches, new system, players not drafted for the specific skillsets of the WCO and zone blocking. What about all of that inexperience don't you understand?

You seem to think that it's all gonna happen without a hitch. Here's some news; it won't. There are going to be problems and the odds are good we won't be top 5.

And Greg Knapp is our O-coordinator. He's sucked in that position with good talent to work with before. He's a good qb coach but his actual, factual record as an OC prior to now absolutely sucks. I don't hold anything against him from when Purple Drank was king; that co**sucker ruined careers in Oakland. But even outside of that Knapp's not an impressive hire. We had a good system and a good offensive coordinator in Al Saunders. Why did McKenzie not make Dennis Allen keep him? Beats the hell outta me.

Speaking of Dennis Allen, who the hell is he? Seriously. He's a first time HC and is a defensive minded person. Fine... The Donk's D sucked early on, played lights out for a stretch, but then got its ass kicked in its final four or five games. And the guy who ran that defense is going to be our head coach? But he's a disciplinarian. At least there's that. Well hell, if that's all it took then why didn't we just hire R. Lee Ermey to come in and bust balls left and right?

You are right about the 0-line though. They'll be a bright spot. And the defense will be better. That may not be saying much though because it would have been difficult for them to be any worse than were last season.

If this season fails and we don't make the playoffs, it'll be the fault of Reggie McKenzie and the coaching staff. With a half-assed defense we would have ran away with the division last year. That's the only thing that needed to be fixed. Fix the D, keep the O and special teams = playoffs.

But instead the entire team got an overhaul. That's a lot of adjusting and it doesn't point to a top 5 offense. Maybe they'll buck the odds and it will all come together. You never know. And maybe a player who sat out for a year with broken neck that took multiple surgeries to fix will immediately return to form and take an otherwise bad team to the Superbowl.

But in reality, both are bad bets.

And finally...

Quote:
Now the brillance OF Reggie MCkenzie ...
Let's just wait and see how this season goes before calling him brilliant. We haven't had the chance to see a single move that he's made happen in reality. As far as I'm concerned he's done some really stupid ****, namely not keeping Al Saunders as OC. But time will tell.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #385
Raider9175
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
What? Lowering the bar?

Here's the deal: New coaches, new system, players not drafted for the specific skillsets of the WCO and zone blocking. What about all of that inexperience don't you understand?

You seem to think that it's all gonna happen without a hitch. Here's some news; it won't. There are going to be problems and the odds are good we won't be top 5.

And Greg Knapp is our O-coordinator. He's sucked in that position with good talent to work with before. He's a good qb coach but his actual, factual record as an OC prior to now absolutely sucks. I don't hold anything against him from when Purple Drank was king; that co**sucker ruined careers in Oakland. But even outside of that Knapp's not an impressive hire. We had a good system and a good offensive coordinator in Al Saunders. Why did McKenzie not make Dennis Allen keep him? Beats the hell outta me.

Speaking of Dennis Allen, who the hell is he? Seriously. He's a first time HC and is a defensive minded person. Fine... The Donk's D sucked early on, played lights out for a stretch, but then got its ass kicked in its final four or five games. And the guy who ran that defense is going to be our head coach? But he's a disciplinarian. At least there's that. Well hell, if that's all it took then why didn't we just hire R. Lee Ermey to come in and bust balls left and right?

You are right about the 0-line though. They'll be a bright spot. And the defense will be better. That may not be saying much though because it would have been difficult for them to be any worse than were last season.

If this season fails and we don't make the playoffs, it'll be the fault of Reggie McKenzie and the coaching staff. With a half-assed defense we would have ran away with the division last year. That's the only thing that needed to be fixed. Fix the D, keep the O and special teams = playoffs.

But instead the entire team got an overhaul. That's a lot of adjusting and it doesn't point to a top 5 offense. Maybe they'll buck the odds and it will all come together. You never know. And maybe a player who sat out for a year with broken neck that took multiple surgeries to fix will immediately return to form and take an otherwise bad team to the Superbowl.

But in reality, both are bad bets.

And finally...

Let's just wait and see how this season goes before calling him brilliant. We haven't had the chance to see a single move that he's made happen in reality. As far as I'm concerned he's done some really stupid ****, namely not keeping Al Saunders as OC. But time will tell.

You do know Al saunders was OC in name only, as Hue Jackson called the plays. He will be doing the same thing for the Raiders just won't have the bogus OC title.

Okay I was ready to give you a long post where your wrong on the oline. I wrote it and saw you said you agree it will be a bright spot.

ONly thing that could have derailed the offense would be the oline. IF you think it will be good than I really don't know where your going.(every great offense starts upfront on the oline) That oline is good there is no way this offense not top five. Raiders have just too much explosive weapons on offense.

All three of the Raiders Rb's are perfect fits for this zone blocking scheme. Only thing that every stopped DMc in this scheme was turf toe. That hasn't been a problem since he wears those special shoes. Raiders are going to run the football a lot. (do you disagree there) Should be right there near the top as the top rushing team in 2012.

Can all three of the RB catch the football. Mike Goodson they say is even a Better receiver than DMC. Raiders are going to use DMC and M Goodson as WR moving one of them outside to get favorable mismatches. Do you not understand those are safe passes that have a chance to go a long way.

Now throw in Marcel Reece tell me when has Greg Knapp ever had a weapon like him at FB. (Justin Griffith - no way) He another mismatch defense have to account for.

NOw You have a very good running game+ Passes to the TE and Rbs = What does that do to the defense. They start to creep up to defend that. When that happens . That's when you will see the Raiders going deep to their Wr's .

What your having a hard time understanding is not every Wco offense is the same. You have to play to your strengths/ personnel . Yes Raiders offense will be similar to Texans but they will be doing things the Texans don't do(can't)

The other Wr Raiders/ Mckenzie brought in aren't WCO offense type of Wr's. (Juron Criner, Rod Streatew and Derek carrier) .

The Raiders are going as far as their offense takes them. They are top five offense they will be a playoff team despite what the defense does.(See Saints, Patriots and Packers)
No one expects the defense to be top ten. They don't have to. That defense just becomes average, and this team going pretty far in the playoffs.

Last edited by Raider9175; 07-27-2012 at 07:40 PM..
Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #386
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:

and if your QB doesn't throw more Int's than TD's
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #387
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #388
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Break this down, b****es.

Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #389
Stuck in Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post

Um one person trying to run, while the others stand around?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #390
Bacchus

Quote:

wow, Denver is doomed, how will they ever compete with such a team?

oh, nevermind
Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #391
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Bacillus Anthracis

wow lots of IFs for the coming year.. Just on Offense..

Wonder what the D looks like..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #392
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:
wow lots of IFs for the coming year.. Just on Offense..

Wonder what the D looks like..
Three IFs and you're out.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #393
Raider9175
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:

IF one of those tackles got one finger on Jamaal Charles you know he was going down. What a Pusski .

Last edited by Raider9175; 07-28-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #394
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Three IFs and you're out.
If a bird flew upside down it would shyt on itself
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #395
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think schedules are going to be the biggest influence in the upcoming season. Denver's first half of the season is bonkers. It looks like someone took up a challenge to devise the most difficult schedule possible and that's what they ended up with.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #396
Bacillus Anthracis

Quote:
wow lots of IFs for the coming year.. Just on Offense.
That was the point--there are a lot of ifs. Way too many to predict a top 5 offense.

Someone else mentioned TD to Interceptio ratio, which is a not very insightful point. Palmer threw 6 in his first two games after having been with the team all of 10 days. Last season, everything bad that Palmer did was to be expected and everything good was just a bonus. It was a warmup for the 2012 season. That was assuming we'd have the same system in place, but now we don't.

We have a lot of question going into the season; more than were necessary if we'd simply kept the same offensive system in place. So we'll see what happens.

But going back to "ifs", every team has them. Peyton Manning is a huge if for you guys. If he isn't back to form immediately you guys could very well start the season 0-5. And if that happens the signing will have been a huge failure and you'll be watching a lot of college football, trying to identify where you'll fall in the draft and if that will good (bad) enough to try and find your next franchise quarterback.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #397
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Injuries are always the wild card, for any time in the NFL. The really good teams still win despite injuries (Packers a few years ago when they won the SB and the Pats back in 2003, I think? they had hella injuries). However, winning when your starting QB goes down is tough.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #398
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:

um, I guess your boy still thinks he's in college? It's probably because he knows he's playing for team who's standards are less that those of the University of Texas. In fact, you might be able to make the Longhorns a pro team and demote the chefs to D1 football, or maybe DII NAIA for them to be competitive.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #399
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:

"Hai Guys, look how flexible my two knee braces are."
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #400
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Kent Babb | Crennel can win, depending on what he’s learned from losses
BY KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Kent Babb | Crennel can win, depending on what he’s learned from losses

ST. JOSEPH -- He’s backed into a corner now, behind the curtain you see on television, and the Chiefs’ coach is talking about what it’s like when the cameras are off and the charm is gone and his patience has rotted.

Romeo Crennel smiles as he says it. He smiles so often. That salt-and-pepper mustache stretches across his face, and even now, when he’s talking about getting mad and the things that get him there, and boy, you should see it when it happens. And it’s such a strange image that it’s not just Crennel who’s smiling.

“Boom,” Crennel says. “This mild-mannered guy becomes a different animal.”

This jolly, grandfatherly 65-year-old is the Chiefs’ third coach in five seasons, and if you think about it, he probably faces more pressure than either of his predecessors. For the first time in his career, and indeed a rarity in his profession, Crennel inherited not a mess but a gift from his fired predecessor. This is a talented team that doesn’t need building or, really, much maintenance. It needs a man who will let it grow naturally; who’ll just keep the car from flying off the road.

Crennel is the opposite of Todd Haley, whose unusual mood swings and erratic behavior were as much responsible for getting him fired last December as the Chiefs’ 5-8 record. He was unorthodox and creative, and those things are cool and innovative unless they fail. Haley’s way worked for a while, and then it just stopped being effective. The problem was that he was raving so often, the townspeople became numb to his cries of wolf.

Crennel doesn’t get consumed by emotion. And that’s a good thing for this year’s Chiefs. Expectations have been lifted for a team with talent at most every position. The playoffs are a realistic possibility, and a defense Crennel oversaw in two years as coordinator has a chance to emerge as one of the league’s best.

And if those things happen, we will not trace it back to anything Crennel did in training camp, the preseason or once the games begin to count. It will be what he didn’t do that we’ll remember — that this even-tempered coach did his thing and just didn’t screw it up.

This time last year, Haley began implementing an idea. It was different, and he asked his assistant coaches to bear with him. Because players had missed offseason practices amid the NFL lockout, Haley decided to go easy on them during training camp and allow them to ease into regular-season conditioning.

Players sweated and ran, but they did neither as much as they had in previous Chiefs camps. The team went forward, and if coaches and players disagreed with Haley’s idea, no one said anything. Even now, Crennel smiles when asked whether he ever considered approaching his boss and asking whether he was sure he wanted to travel the path.

“Last year is last year,” he says, and that grin makes me think that Crennel was a good soldier a year ago but that, yes, he would’ve done things differently.

Of course, we know how that movie actually ended: Three key players suffered season-ending injuries, quarterback Matt Cassel couldn’t establish rhythm, and the Chiefs just looked bad in a winless preseason and an 0-3 start to the regular season.

Football is a revisionist history kind of game. Coaches try unusual things, and if they work, those coaches are geniuses. If they don’t, the same men are stooges who are late for the unemployment line. Coloring outside the lines brings additional attention, and when it doesn’t work often enough, the football gods are unkind. Few coaches attempted more fourth-down conversions, trick plays and unusual motivational tactics than Haley in his nearly three seasons. In 2010, maybe his aggressive approach helped the Chiefs go 10-6 and win the AFC West. A year later, it was difficult to not blame the same mindset for the team’s failings.

When it came time to find Haley’s replacement, the Chiefs found a steady and experienced man with an office in the same building.

After one practice last week, it was clear that Camp Romeo won’t contain the same wild story lines as last year’s experience. Crennel is going back to what works, what’s proven, what he knows. He says he wants the team to be organized, and he wants players to develop chemistry. And he wants them to work. That’s not groundbreaking or even all that interesting. But it is proven.

His face dripping sweat, Pro Bowl linebacker Derrick Johnson says a little custom is just what these Chiefs need.

“He believes in what he believes in,” Johnson says. “He’s an old-school guy, and he’s definitely going to put the hammer down on us.”

So here’s the undeniable fact about Romeo Crennel: His first experience as an NFL head coach was his own failure. The Cleveland Browns were 24-40 in his four seasons, and maybe the reasons were beyond Crennel’s control.

The Browns’ general manager at the time, Phil Savage, drafted poorly and signed free agents that didn’t make an impact. Injuries to key players piled up at an almost laughable rate. Crennel’s teams had losing records in three of those seasons, and after a 4-12 finish, he was fired.

Still, some things were remembered fondly.

“I’ve never seen a team play harder at the end of a season that wasn’t going well,” says Chiefs backup quarterback Brady Quinn, who played for Crennel in Cleveland.

That’s nice and all, but as Haley learned last year, it doesn’t matter the reasons if the wins aren’t coming. The thing you can’t deny about Crennel is that he has the respect and admiration of his team. There’s no starting over, no getting-to-know-you period that so many other first-year coaches endure. The Chiefs know Crennel, and he knows the Chiefs, but with that comes an expectation that the team will succeed immediately. If that doesn’t happen, outsiders will begin whispering that Crennel goes too easy on his players; that he’s too much of a players’ coach and oversees a team that lacks discipline.

Other than the rare occasions he bares his teeth to players, Crennel says he’s going to try it his easygoing way.

“You have to be who you are,” he says.

Of what we know about Crennel, though, here’s what remains a mystery: how much he actually learned from his time in Cleveland. If this is truly going to work, he should now know that, sure, the GM has final say on draft picks, but the head coach has to build teams to fit his vision.

Crennel says he and Scott Pioli have a good relationship, and maybe Pioli even deferred to Crennel in the first round of this year’s draft, when the Chiefs drafted nose tackle Dontari Poe at No. 11 overall. It was a gamble, the kind Pioli doesn’t usually feel comfortable making, but Crennel is a former defensive-line coach who thinks the front seven is the nerve center of an elite team.

He also should have learned from Haley’s mistakes the last two years. In the NFL, gimmicks should be used in moderation, and really, coaches should turn to them only to shake up a team that lacks talent. The Chiefs no longer have that problem, and they no longer have a coach who’ll feel the need to leave his fingerprint on each game, just to prove that he deserves to wear the headset.

Crennel’s responsibilities in training camp and beyond are to keep things simple, to keep players together, to let them do what they do. If he has to do more than that, bad things will have happened. If he’s able to sit back, keep his voice low and maybe even smile, then we’ll know that Crennel has his job figured out — and that he understands precisely what this year’s team needs.

To reach Kent Babb, call 816-234-4386, send email to kbabb@kcstar.com or follow him at twitter.com/kentbabb. For previous columns, go to KansasCity.com.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/07/28...#storylink=cpy

Interesting when you actually take a coaches surroundings in part of his coaching situation. Romeo was dealt a very poor hand in Cleveland. The fact he had a winning season is astonishing in itself.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote