The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #76
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
I agree....and then some team will overpay if he makes it to free agency
He won't make it to FA next year. If they team is willing to offer 5/$50M they're definitely willing to franchise tag him at the end of the season.

5/$50M is a very fair offer. If Clady wants more make him prove it, at more than 5/$50M the downside of him never being '08/'09 Clady outweighs the savings if he returns to that form. At or below 5/$50M you can make a strong argument that you're saving money if he returns to career form.

Obviously Ryan is hoping to have his cake and eat it too, getting a deal like he's the elite LT he looked like early on without having played up to that level recently. We can give him that Joe Thomas deal just as easily next off-season if he earns it, or we can have him play another year on the bubble via the franchise tag.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #77
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
He won't make it to FA next year. If they team is willing to offer 5/$50M they're definitely willing to franchise tag him at the end of the season.

5/$50M is a very fair offer. If Clady wants more make him prove it, at more than 5/$50M the downside of him never being '08/'09 Clady outweighs the savings if he returns to that form. At or below 5/$50M you can make a strong argument that you're saving money if he returns to career form.

Obviously Ryan is hoping to have his cake and eat it too, getting a deal like he's the elite LT he looked like early on without having played up to that level recently. We can give him that Joe Thomas deal just as easily next off-season if he earns it, or we can have him play another year on the bubble via the franchise tag.
oh yeah, I agree. I just think it's foolish for Broncos fans to think Clady can't go out and find a better deal. There are just enough teams every year willing to over spend on solid young players like Clady.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #78
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Fair offer for an above average LT who is still relatively young. He's good, but nowhere close to elite/great.
Didn't he lead the league in holding calls?
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #79
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

no, to my knowledge he never called holding on anyone
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #80
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
no, to my knowledge he never called holding on anyone
I'm pretty sure he called something when Richard Seymour pulled his hair. He was mouthing something.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #81
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
did you really just quote yourself?

seriously if you are going to keep an alt account, pay attention
... I did didn't I! I do not remember why I did this but I'm sure at the time it made perfect sense.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #82
TonyR
Franchise Poster

I don't think Clady will ever be what we thought he'd become after his rookie year. But I bet after this season with PMFM behind him we'll be talking once again about what a damn fine LT he is.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #83
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't think Clady will ever be what we thought he'd become after his rookie year. But I bet after this season with PMFM behind him we'll be talking once again about what a damn fine LT he is.
I do not think anyone is saying he is not a fine OLT.. you flat do not pay a FINE OLT top money..

What most are saying is he is not elite and should not be expecting elite OLT money..

For the most part the OLT position is not as big a deal as it was 5 or so years ago..

With the move to 3-5 step drop backs the elite guys are just not all that necessary like they were..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #84
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If your willing to pay a player 10 million a year he is not easily replaceable.
that depends on the reasoning behind paying a player that. if you pay him based upon potential and he doesn't pan out then he is easy to replace.
there have been many times when a player gets paid and becomes a bad investment after the contract is signed(Tommy Kelly,Albert Haynesworth,Kevin Kolb,Donovan McNabb & etc)

if you're based upon performance and they sustain it then yes it's a good deal and they're hard to replace.

but Clady has not played up to the level of a elite LT since his rookie year.
5 years 50 mil is really good value considering his recent performance.
he may be able to get more on the open market but that doesn't mean you pay him for that.

if he balks at this offer or a more improved one then you franchise him and make him prove it two years in a row.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #85
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

I'll play devil's advocate, errr Clady's advocate:

"I'm constantly handicapped by revolving door coaching staffs and inept personnel. I'm so tired of helping this Beadles character on every single passing down, and ever since Dan Graham left, sealing the corner on running plays has been near-impossible. You say Tim Tebow was never boring, fine fine. But he was never scoring either. Plus he was left-handed ... everybody knows it's no fair to start a lefty when you have an elite LT. And don't get me started on Kno-Shon Moreno. I KNOW we SHON-unt have drafted him. Here's the deal: Just give me a reasonably stable staff, roster and system, and I'll earn Joe Thomas money. Every cent of it."
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #86
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
What most are saying is he is not elite and should not be expecting elite OLT money..
Agree, but at the same time you're somewhat forced to pay the market rate until you have a better option. You can't have a scrub protecting your $100 million QB. Clady may not be the best but he's a hell of a lot better than Tebow made him look last year.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #87
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
Agree, but at the same time you're somewhat forced to pay the market rate until you have a better option. You can't have a scrub protecting your $100 million QB. Clady may not be the best but he's a hell of a lot better than Tebow made him look last year.
Also, this year is going to be the first year he will really be recovered from his injury. We might see a whole different Clady this year.
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #88
Man-Goblin
Giving You The Business

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mister Cobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
I'll play devil's advocate, errr Clady's advocate:

"I'm constantly handicapped by revolving door coaching staffs and inept personnel. I'm so tired of helping this Beadles character on every single passing down, and ever since Dan Graham left, sealing the corner on running plays has been near-impossible. You say Tim Tebow was never boring, fine fine. But he was never scoring either. Plus he was left-handed ... everybody knows it's no fair to start a lefty when you have an elite LT. And don't get me started on Kno-Shon Moreno. I KNOW we SHON-unt have drafted him. Here's the deal: Just give me a reasonably stable staff, roster and system, and I'll earn Joe Thomas money. Every cent of it."
You shonunt have cut your hair. And you shonunt have played basketball. You'll take the measly $50 million and like it, b****.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 AM   #89
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

lolwhat
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #90
BroncoBeavis

I've been told PM is unsackable. Cut him.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #91
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:

Obviously Ryan is hoping to have his cake and eat it too, getting a deal like he's the elite LT he looked like early on without having played up to that level recently. .....
Its looking to me like Clady and his agent want that 'Highest paid LT' in the league monikar. I heard the other day on the radio that both sides agree on the 'guaranteed' money part of the deal, the hangup is the number of years.

Heck.. make it a ten year contract at $100 million.. means nothing.. what matters is the guarantee.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #92
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBen View Post
Its looking to me like Clady and his agent want that 'Highest paid LT' in the league monikar. I heard the other day on the radio that both sides agree on the 'guaranteed' money part of the deal, the hangup is the number of years.

Heck.. make it a ten year contract at $100 million.. means nothing.. what matters is the guarantee.
Contracts are always outdated as soon as Clady signs a huge contract in two years he will be underpaid due to larger contracts. If Denver could sign him to a very large contract even with a lot guaranteed they will make that money up on the back end of the deal. Clady will be very good for many years. Get it done.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #93
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
It is hard to judge this guy. Orton held the ball too long and Tebow made him an RT instead of an LT.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #94
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

Just checked the numbers, and Joe Thomas is on another level altogether. He's started every game and every Pro Bowl all five years, and made AP All-Pro in all but his rookie season.

Pro Bowls not the best way to rank guys, but Jake Long 4/4, Jason Peters 5/8, D'Brickashaw 3/6 ... seems like a different tier of player.

With just one Clady looks more like a Joe Staley.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #95
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

give him the 50 mil and then build in incentives to get it where he THINKS it should be.. if he wants to be paid like one of the big boys let him earn it every game.. pretty simple IMO..

If he declines then franchise his ass while we draft or trade for his replacement..

Everyone thinks that OLT is the premier spot.. It used to be but with teh advent of 3-5 step drops and teh ball coming out fast it is no loner the money spot it used to be..

Do not get me wrong having an above average guy there will help matters, but tha past couple of years he has not been that above average guy we thought we were getting.. Now the maroock is wanting to be paid as the top guy.. Let him earn it..
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #96
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
oh yeah, I agree. I just think it's foolish for Broncos fans to think Clady can't go out and find a better deal. There are just enough teams every year willing to over spend on solid young players like Clady.
Sure he can, no one here is saying he can't find some fool to pay his price..

But he is foolish if he thinks that Elway is going to give him the money without him earning it.. his agent whispering in his ear is forgetting to tell him he has played average ball since his knee was repaired and that next year he is THE franchise tag guy.. While we get his repalcement for less money.. If a draftee about 30% of what he is asking..
Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #97
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Sure he can, no one here is saying he can't find some fool to pay his price..

But he is foolish if he thinks that Elway is going to give him the money without him earning it.. his agent whispering in his ear is forgetting to tell him he has played average ball since his knee was repaired and that next year he is THE franchise tag guy.. While we get his repalcement for less money.. If a draftee about 30% of what he is asking..
since Shanahan drafted Clady, your opinion is moot
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #98
baja
It is what it Is.

Pay attention.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
give him the 50 mil and then build in incentives to get it where he THINKS it should be.. if he wants to be paid like one of the big boys let him earn it every game.. pretty simple IMO..

If he declines then franchise his ass while we draft or trade for his replacement..

Everyone thinks that OLT is the premier spot.. It used to be but with teh advent of 3-5 step drops and teh ball coming out fast it is no loner the money spot it used to be..

Do not get me wrong having an above average guy there will help matters, but tha past couple of years he has not been that above average guy we thought we were getting.. Now the maroock is wanting to be paid as the top guy.. Let him earn it..
So it's not a 5 tool position?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #99
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
since Shanahan drafted Clady, your opinion is moot
Along with maybe Al Wilson he was one of the DAFT choices in rounds one through 3 that were worth a crap.

But then so far only 6 of his 41 13% picks in those rounds were ever resigned by DEN before their rookie contracts expired..

Lets us all remember Tanahan used #54 to pick up a one-handed WR instead of one of the following.. talk about a monumental cluster ****

Code:
55 	Jacksonville Jaguars 	Greg Jones 	RB 	Florida State
56 	Cincinnati Bengals 	Madieu Williams 	FS 	Maryland
57 	Tennessee Titans 	Antwan Odom 	DE 	Alabama
58 	San Francisco 49ers 	Shawntae Spencer 	CB 	Pittsburgh
59 	Cleveland Browns 	Sean Jones 	SAF 	Georgia
60 	New Orleans Saints 	Courtney Watson 	MLB 	Notre Dame
61 	Kansas City Chiefs 	Kris Wilson 	TE 	Pittsburgh
62 	Carolina Panthers 	Keary Colbert 	WR 	USC
63 	New England Patriots 	Marquise Hill 	DE 	Louisiana State
2004 - Round 3
SEL # 	TEAM 	PLAYER 	POSITION 	SCHOOL
64 	Arizona Cardinals 	Darnell Dockett 	DT 	Florida State
65 	San Diego Chargers 	Nate Kaeding 	K 	Iowa
66 	San Diego Chargers 	Nick Hardwick 	C 	Purdue
67 	Oakland Raiders 	Stuart Schweigert 	SAF 	Purdue
68 	Indianapolis Colts 	Ben Hartsock 	TE 	Ohio State
69 	Indianapolis Colts 	Gilbert Gardner 	LB 	Purdue
70 	Green Bay Packers 	Joey Thomas 	CB 	Montana State
71 	Tennessee Titans 	Randy Starks 	DT 	Maryland
72 	Green Bay Packers 	Donnell Washington 	DT 	Clemson
73 	Detroit Lions 	Keith Smith 	CB 	McNeese State
74 	Buffalo Bills 	Tim Anderson 	DT 	Ohio State
75 	Pittsburgh Steelers 	Max Starks 	T 	Florida

Many of which are still playing a high rate vs Watts with 33 receptions and one TD..

Anyone stupid enough to DAFT a one-handed WR should have been taken out and shot right after the DAFT pick was announced..
Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #100
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Just checked the numbers, and Joe Thomas is on another level altogether. He's started every game and every Pro Bowl all five years, and made AP All-Pro in all but his rookie season.

Pro Bowls not the best way to rank guys, but Jake Long 4/4, Jason Peters 5/8, D'Brickashaw 3/6 ... seems like a different tier of player.

With just one Clady looks more like a Joe Staley.
Whoa there Pard you be thinkin again.. That is not allowed here on the OM.. Where the madden and FF crowd rule the roost.. Emos rule..

Many posters that have never caught a ball other than when their daddies or mommies tossed it to them.