The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #76
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,816

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Pay the man! They made a large investment in PM and they better have a competent LT to protect him
They do and best of all he is playing for a contract.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #77
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer
 
21ís No Champ

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,076

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15
Default

Lock him up. It will be impossible to get a LT next year anywhere near as good as Clady.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #78
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Lock him up. It will be impossible to get a LT next year anywhere near as good as Clady.
franchise tag is your friend
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #79
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I say let him play this season out at 3.5. If he sucks, you can let him walk or offer him a reduced contract. If he plays out of this world, you can tag him or offer him a respectable contract, let him walk and take the compensatory pick.
You have Peyton Manning as your QB and you'll let Clady go for a 3rd round compensatory pick?

Clady will be a great player again. He was blocking for Tebow last year. Tebow will make any Olman look bad. If you do not sign him right now. Next year some team will make him the highest paid OLman in NFL history. Pay now or watch him leave later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #80
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you do not sign him right now. Next year some team will make him the highest paid OLman in NFL history. Pay now or watch him leave later.
For the millionth time, there is such a thing as the franchise tag. Nobody else can even talk to him.

And if some team wants to make him the highest paid OLineman in history after we're done with him, then that can only mean that this year he plays like the best OLineman in history and we reap the benefits. He certainly hasn't even been in the top 5 the last 2+ years, so he's going to have to literally be the best in the league this year to merit that kind of contract.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #81
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
For the millionth time, there is such a thing as the franchise tag. Nobody else can even talk to him.

And if some team wants to make him the highest paid OLineman in history after we're done with him, then that can only mean that this year he plays like the best OLineman in history and we reap the benefits. He certainly hasn't even been in the top 5 the last 2+ years, so he's going to have to literally be the best in the league this year to merit that kind of contract.
You do understand Clady does not have to sign the franchise tag. Do you understand that? All Clady has to do is not sign the Franchise tag and holdout. How long will the Broncos be able to go into the season with Clady not being there? Do you know who Denver's back up LT is?

Clady is too important to try to Franchise because if he refuses to sign it and holds out Denver is in no position to call his bluff.

If you hadn't noticed The Saints tried to franchise Brees. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah Brees got a $25 million a year contract that is how. If the Saints would have signed him last year to $20 million a year they would have saved a lot of money and a lot of bad PR.

Get Clady in make him the highest paid OT in the NFL and move on!!!! Because if they try to franchise him next year all he has to do is not sign the contract and then hold out and Denver will have to give him everything he wants or go into the season without him.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #82
DeusExManning
Ring of Famer
 
DeusExManning's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
You do understand Clady does not have to sign the franchise tag. Do you understand that? All Clady has to do is not sign the Franchise tag and holdout. How long will the Broncos be able to go into the season with Clady not being there? Do you know who Denver's back up LT is?

Clady is too important to try to Franchise because if he refuses to sign it and holds out Denver is in no position to call his bluff.

If you hadn't noticed The Saints tried to franchise Brees. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah Brees got a $25 million a year contract that is how. If the Saints would have signed him last year to $20 million a year they would have saved a lot of money and a lot of bad PR.

Get Clady in make him the highest paid OT in the NFL and move on!!!! Because if they try to franchise him next year all he has to do is not sign the contract and then hold out and Denver will have to give him everything he wants or go into the season without him.

You do understand that if he does not sign the tender he does not go anywhere else and he will not make anything. They all sign eventually.
DeusExManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #83
Broncoman13
Broncoholic
 
Broncoman13's Avatar
 
JT #80

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 16,840

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
You do understand Clady does not have to sign the franchise tag. Do you understand that? All Clady has to do is not sign the Franchise tag and holdout. How long will the Broncos be able to go into the season with Clady not being there? Do you know who Denver's back up LT is?

Clady is too important to try to Franchise because if he refuses to sign it and holds out Denver is in no position to call his bluff.

If you hadn't noticed The Saints tried to franchise Brees. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah Brees got a $25 million a year contract that is how. If the Saints would have signed him last year to $20 million a year they would have saved a lot of money and a lot of bad PR.

Get Clady in make him the highest paid OT in the NFL and move on!!!! Because if they try to franchise him next year all he has to do is not sign the contract and then hold out and Denver will have to give him everything he wants or go into the season without him.
Brees' contract is worth $20m per year. He signed a 5 year $100m contract. His has a bonus of $37m and $40m guaranteed this year. Due to prorating his bonus, his cap figure is relatively low this year at around $12m.

Comparing one of the top 2 or 3 players in the entire league with a player that isn't in the top 5 of his position class is stupid. A QB holds a lot more value and can call a team's bluff. A LT, that has never really had a big pay day... not so much. Franchise tags protect teams for players like Ryan Clady, not guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady.

Either way, I think if he plays well early on he'll probably get a 5 year $40m extension and be happy. He is a middle of the pack LT.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #84
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I think a deal will get done. This recent news is just stating that its a ways off before camp starts. Champs deal was held up a bit too. There's still time to negotiate and if he does play up to a high standard they are going to have to bend toward his asking price more. A negative for the broncos but if he plays great he should get paid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #85
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExManning View Post
You do understand that if he does not sign the tender he does not go anywhere else and he will not make anything. They all sign eventually.
Did you even read the my post? read it again, dummy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #86
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Brees' contract is worth $20m per year. He signed a 5 year $100m contract. His has a bonus of $37m and $40m guaranteed this year. Due to prorating his bonus, his cap figure is relatively low this year at around $12m.

Comparing one of the top 2 or 3 players in the entire league with a player that isn't in the top 5 of his position class is stupid. A QB holds a lot more value and can call a team's bluff. A LT, that has never really had a big pay day... not so much. Franchise tags protect teams for players like Ryan Clady, not guys like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Tom Brady.

Either way, I think if he plays well early on he'll probably get a 5 year $40m extension and be happy. He is a middle of the pack LT.
Yeah, that was my bad on Brees contract but the theory still holds. If the Broncos try to franchise him and he does not go into camp who will the Broncos have to play left tackle? That is the same thing Brees did. He did not sign his franchise offer and he was not going to show up unless they signed him to a multi-year contract.

The Franchise tag does not work on players that the team absolutley needs to start the season. We are talking about Peyton Manning's blind side and you want to play it cheap with Clady? That is beyond irresponsible.

You thinking Clady is middle of the pack is also a joke. He has been in the league 3 years and made two pro bowls. Obviously just about everyone else disagrees with you on that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #87
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,459

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

I'd offer him something around the range of what the 12th best LT is making. He's had too many seasons of mediocre play to justify a massive extension. One can point to Tebow for a year, but even when he was protecting a pocket passer in Orton before that his play had alot of holes. He simply hasn't been the same since the injury. If he's not interested in making slightly outside of the Top 10 LTs, then we can wait and re-assess the situation in another year to see if his game improves and go from there (revised offer or franchise tag).
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #88
Bacchus
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'd offer him something around the range of what the 12th best LT is making. He's had too many seasons of mediocre play to justify a massive extension. One can point to Tebow for a year, but even when he was protecting a pocket passer in Orton before that his play had alot of holes. He simply hasn't been the same since the injury. If he's not interested in making slightly outside of the Top 10 LTs, then we can wait and re-assess the situation in another year to see if his game improves and go from there (revised offer or franchise tag).
"He has had too many seasons of mediocre play"?? Can you define this?

He has been in the league 3 years and made 2 probowls. The only year he did not make the probowl he tore a ligament in his knee in the offseason.

Clady with Manning at QB is going to have a tremendous season and might not even give up ONE sack this year. If you wait until the offseason to try to sign him you are going to have to make him the highest paid LT in NFL history. Denver will not be able to franchise him if they do not have a LT that will be able to step in and play for him when he holds out.

Pay him now and pay him well. Lock him up for the next 6 years.

Last edited by Bacchus; 07-19-2012 at 12:02 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 AM   #89
Stuck in Cali
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Good LT's are hard to find, great ons even harder. He is in the middle, closer to the top rather than the bottom. Hope they can get this taken care of.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #90
NorCalBronco7
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Yep I've never been a huge fan of his..

came out of college that played ZBS and although he had great feet, he also had a very mobile QB to help him out..

Then he was injured and frankly I think those great feet are not so great anymore..

I also think that DE's and DC have a book on him and might not be as good as some think..

They have had a TE next to him since year one helping out.. IMO it is time to draft his replacement..

If they do sign him I hope they place some major incentives in it and have an escape clause.

I'm not convinced he will ever be the OLT that he was in his rookie year..
dude ive read tons of your post, and I can offifcially say, your a ****ing idiot.


Resign the big man, whatever it takes!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #91
NorCalBronco7
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'd offer him something around the range of what the 12th best LT is making. He's had too many seasons of mediocre play to justify a massive extension. One can point to Tebow for a year, but even when he was protecting a pocket passer in Orton before that his play had alot of holes. He simply hasn't been the same since the injury. If he's not interested in making slightly outside of the Top 10 LTs, then we can wait and re-assess the situation in another year to see if his game improves and go from there (revised offer or franchise tag).
12th best, you ****ing serious? tell me your joking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #92
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 
Zimm to HOF

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 36,495
Default

Good! He hasn't committed any crimes though? Does he fit our roster?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:58 AM   #93
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'd tread carefully on this if I were the Broncos. PFT had a post about Clady today and his decline statistically, it wasn't pretty. I think he needs to really prove himself this year before he gets seriously paid. He isn't the same and needs to get alot better.
That is an expected trend given the circumstances however.

1. This time in 2010 we weren't sure if Clady would play that year at all. He ended up playing a large portion of the season.

2. This time last year he, like every other player, could not work with the team. This was particularly negative for Clady because last off-season was when he should have been finally getting himself back to 100% after playing 2010 with zero rehab leading into that season.

3. He's changed OL coaches three times in the last three seasons.

4. He's changed QBs 3 times in the last four years.

He's got a QB change this year as well, but definitely for the better. His OL coach from last year is back however and is a damn good coach. He is now in the middle of his first real off-season of working back from his knee injury.

If Clady would sign a top 5-10 LT deal before the season starts the team should jump on it. The chances he's not a top 10 LT at the end of 2012 are pretty low. The chances we could draft or sign someone for less money who's better are even lower. The chances he would out play that deal and establish himself firmly as a top 5 LT are significantly higher than all of the risks. Therefore the payout of hitting is by far bigger than the loss on missing.

Now if Clady wants a top 5 deal TODAY then you hold off until after the season, sure, but you've got to at least try striking a middle of the road deal with him before FA comes up. Then we'd have to franchise tag him and lose a lot of leverage in what are supposed to be our "go for it" years.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #94
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,109

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

Clady's 2011 PFF ratings (out of the top 60 OTs)

50th overall,
31st in pass blocking,
57th in run blocking,
57th in penalties (this is probably the worst part of his season last year)
T-44th in QB hurries allowed (32)
T-27th in sacks allowed (6)

All this on a team that was 32nd in pass attempts.

The good news is he was really awesome in 2010, so hope for a time machine.

Have a great day, guys.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #95
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 14,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Clady's 2011 PFF ratings (out of the top 60 OTs)

50th overall,
31st in pass blocking,
57th in run blocking,
57th in penalties (this is probably the worst part of his season last year)
T-44th in QB hurries allowed (32)
T-27th in sacks allowed (6)

All this on a team that was 32nd in pass attempts.

The good news is he was really awesome in 2010, so hope for a time machine.

Have a great day, guys.
Tebow effect.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #96
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
"He has had too many seasons of mediocre play"?? Can you define this?

He has been in the league 3 years and made 2 probowls. The only year he did not make the probowl he tore a ligament in his knee in the offseason.

Clady with Manning at QB is going to have a tremendous season and might not even give up ONE sack this year. If you wait until the offseason to try to sign him you are going to have to make him the highest paid LT in NFL history. Denver will not be able to franchise him if they do not have a LT that will be able to step in and play for him when he holds out.

Pay him now and pay him well. Lock him up for the next 6 years.
Enough with the ProBowl crap. It's a popularity contest. Everyone knows that.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #97
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
You do understand Clady does not have to sign the franchise tag. Do you understand that? All Clady has to do is not sign the Franchise tag and holdout. How long will the Broncos be able to go into the season with Clady not being there? Do you know who Denver's back up LT is?
Roster turnover is huge in the NFL. We don't know who will be playing anywhere in 2013, right now. Seriously, think about it. Name even 5 guys that are starters as of today and are absolutely going to be playing for us in 2013 at their same positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Clady is too important to try to Franchise because if he refuses to sign it and holds out Denver is in no position to call his bluff.
Sure they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If you hadn't noticed The Saints tried to franchise Brees. How did that work out for them? Oh yeah Brees got a $25 million a year contract that is how. If the Saints would have signed him last year to $20 million a year they would have saved a lot of money and a lot of bad PR.
As was pointed out already, this is a horrible comparison. Arguably the best player in the entire league vs a guy who is currently not even in the top 5 at his much lower paid position (OLineman franchise tag is $9 mil - QBs is $14.5 mil).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Get Clady in make him the highest paid OT in the NFL and move on!!!!
Why would you ever make a guy the highest paid at his position, when no independent authority has him ranked in the top 5? The only time you'd even have an argument was if you had a ton of cap room and if he was the best available FA at that position that several teams had a need for and were bidding over. This would not be the case next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Because if they try to franchise him next year all he has to do is not sign the contract and then hold out and Denver will have to give him everything he wants or go into the season without him.
Show me a quote from Clady or his agent that even hints at a holdout being a possibility. Many sign the franchise tag right away and don't hold out. They may b**** about it, but they sign it and report. Holdouts are extremely rare and are usually only done by more seasoned vets who have larger bank accounts that can absorb all that time without pay. You are simply conceding a worst case scenario that is actually VERY unlikely.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #98
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

I have to bring his name up again, but when Clady had Cutler, he was top 3, at least top 5. Can anybody question that? In my estimation, Manning > Cutler with everything except arm strength, especially intelligence pre-snap and post-snap. As somebody pointed out, he messed up his knee, didn't have an offseason and has changed qb's/coaches multiple times. When he is with a top 10 qb, he will be back to his top 5 LT form. (sorry Men's Warehouse) I guarantee it!
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #99
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,054

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
I have to bring his name up again, but when Clady had Cutler, he was top 3, at least top 5. Can anybody question that? In my estimation, Manning > Cutler with everything except arm strength, especially intelligence pre-snap and post-snap. As somebody pointed out, he messed up his knee, didn't have an offseason and has changed qb's/coaches multiple times. When he is with a top 10 qb, he will be back to his top 5 LT form. (sorry Men's Warehouse) I guarantee it!
Nobody's questioning how good he was in 2008. We're questioning how mediocre at best he was in 2009, 2010 and 2012. There comes a time where you have to stop blaming all these other factors around you and acknowledge that either (1) you just had a great rookie season and never adjusted your game [see exhibit a - Eddie Royal] or (2) the off season injury he suffered after his rookie year permanently ruined him.

Sure there's a possibility his play will bounce back due to having Manning and his quick delivery back there. But there's at least an equal chance he'll never get back to that top 5 2008 form. This year will obviously be telling.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #100
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Nobody's questioning how good he was in 2008. We're questioning how mediocre at best he was in 2009, 2010 and 2012. There comes a time where you have to stop blaming all these other factors around you and acknowledge that either (1) you just had a great rookie season and never adjusted your game [see exhibit a - Eddie Royal] or (2) the off season injury he suffered after his rookie year permanently ruined him.

Sure there's a possibility his play will bounce back due to having Manning and his quick delivery back there. But there's at least an equal chance he'll never get back to that top 5 2008 form. This year will obviously be telling.
Clady was an elite LT in 2009 too, don't know where you're getting the opinion that '09 was "mediocre at best".

He hasn't been the same player since he blew his knee apart. Maybe it has permanently taken away his ability to be an elite player, or maybe he's just never been given a real chance to get back to 100% due to the timing of the injury in 2010 and the abbreviated off-season in 2011. In both years he saw his OL coach change.

Again, him returning to top 5 form is a toss up, but its far more likely than us finding a better replacement on the FA market or in the draft. If he wants top 5 money we can give him that next off-season after we tag him, no harm done. If he's willing to take next tier down, 5-10, money then that is a deal the organization should sign as he's a strong bet to be a top 5-10 LT next season with a very possible payout of him returning to top 5 form and being dominant.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 PM.


Denver Broncos