The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #551
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Prince Fielder may not win the Home Run Derby, but he's hitting some long home runs.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #552
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Prince Fielder is in the finals.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #553
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Prince Fielder versus Jose Bautista in the finals.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #554
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Prince is flat out mashing in the finals.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #555
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Prince smacks 12 home runs in the final round.

Jose Bautista up next.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #556
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza
 
Baba Booey's Avatar
 
HURRY HURRY!

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North of the Wall
Posts: 2,041

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Fielder is a beef castle.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 PM   #557
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Prince Fielder wins the 2012 Home Run Derby.

That and Justin Verlander is starting the All-Star game....good for the Detroit Tigers!
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #558
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/481284...orts-baseball/

DeMarco: Verlander a cut above the rest

Very good read about Justin Verlander and some insight into how good he's been the last few years.

In fact, the last time Verlander didn't go at least six innings was Aug. 22, 2010 — or 60 starts ago. You have to go back to Steve Carlton in 1979-82 for a longer streak (69 starts from Sept. 13, 1979 to April 13th 1982).

I love that stat....Verlander has basically gone almost 2 full years of 6+ innings every start.

I'd love to see him pass Steve Carlton on that list.

Bob Gibson holds the all-time record with 78 consecutive starts of at least 6 innings.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #559
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Ugh....Justin Verlander getting hammered in the first inning.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #560
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Ugh....Justin Verlander getting hammered in the first inning.
Honestly it doesn't surprise me. He didn't look very happy with his performance (obviously), but I could tell from the minute he walked out there he wasn't his usual self. Then seeing him miss with those 100mph fastballs made it pretty obvious. He's got much better control than that.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #561
Majik
Man7
 
Majik's Avatar
 
On Wisconsin

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Ugh....Justin Verlander getting hammered in the first inning.
Nothing wrong with the reigning NL MVP crushing you.

Majik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #562
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Giants players are showin up
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #563
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

I busted ass push mowing in the back yard so I wouldn't miss that first inning by JV?
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #564
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

I still wish R.A. Dickey was starting for the National League.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #565
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I busted ass push mowing in the back yard so I wouldn't miss that first inning by JV?
Oh well, I can just sit back and enjoy some fun baseball. It'd be nice to see Prince do well, but he's not My Tiger, so I'm not going to be glued to the television.

One thing we can all agree, regardless of what team we root for...

At least it's not the Pro Bowl.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #566
Kid A
Ring of Famer
 
Kid A's Avatar
 
I don't need love. I just need wins

Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,357

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore
Default

Wow, the AL starting pitchers are paying a little too much tribute to the hometown Royals.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #567
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
Wow, the AL starting pitchers are paying a little too much tribute to the hometown Royals.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #568
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

The dodge dart commercial was great!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #569
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 22,796

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I still wish R.A. Dickey was starting for the National League.
I wish Weaver started for the AL. I guess Angels will have no more than 3 home games for the WS. THanks a lot Justin! (in the voice of Brad from Ridgemont High).
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #570
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Chipper Jones gets a hit in his last All-Star game.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #571
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Oh well, I can just sit back and enjoy some fun baseball. It'd be nice to see Prince do well, but he's not My Tiger, so I'm not going to be glued to the television.

One thing we can all agree, regardless of what team we root for...

At least it's not the Pro Bowl.
I don't get worked up over the All-Star game....but it would have been nice to see JV toss a couple of shutout innings.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #572
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

I went to the 2005 All-Star game in Detroit and was a little disappointed.

It didn't help that it was in the high 90s and humid and I had single seats for the game and couldn't sit next to anyone I knew.

It didn't have that magical feel that I was hoping for and I wasn't really nostalgic about it.

It also seemed like the rosters were pretty weak and devoid of a lot of big name Hall of Fame players.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #573
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,425
Default

I had a much better time at the 2006 American League Division Series game against the Yankees when the Tigers beat them 8-3 to win the series and went on to play the Oakland A's.

That same season I had 2 tickets for Game 6 of the World Series against St. Louis....and they lost the series in 5 games.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 07-10-2012 at 07:33 PM..
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #574
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I went to the 2005 All-Star game in Detroit and was a little disappointed.

It didn't help that it was in the high 90s and humid and I had single seats for the game and couldn't sit next to anyone I knew.

It didn't have that magical feel that I was hoping for and I wasn't really nostalgic about it.

It also seemed like the rosters were pretty weak and devoid of a lot of big name Hall of Fame players.
I remember going to the All Star Game in 1998. It was AMAZING. Of course, further was amazing due to my dad winning the car they gave out at the end, and being on the field next to a lot of those guys, shaking Roberto Alomar's hand as he gave the keys to my dad.
A lot of HOFers in that game. Maddux, Clemens, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Gwynn, Ripken, Jeter, ARod, Pedro Martinez, on and on.

2005 had a good group:
ARod, Ortiz, Manny, Vladdy Guerrero, Tejada, Teixiera, I think what killed it was the lack of big names throughout on the pitching roster. Matt Clement, Jon Garland, Colon, kenny Rogers, baez, Bob Wickman, Duescheser, etc. Meh.
NL had some good names there, but also actually a lot of one/two year wonders. Morgan Ensberg really jumps out, as well as others. Also guys who were solid, but nothing spectacular.

I think baseball is going to start to be getting back to those spectacular rosters now. Just look at the guys at this years game, 19 or so are under 26 years old.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #575
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
I remember going to the All Star Game in 1998. It was AMAZING. Of course, further was amazing due to my dad winning the car they gave out at the end, and being on the field next to a lot of those guys, shaking Roberto Alomar's hand as he gave the keys to my dad.
A lot of HOFers in that game. Maddux, Clemens, Griffey, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Gwynn, Ripken, Jeter, ARod, Pedro Martinez, on and on.

2005 had a good group:
ARod, Ortiz, Manny, Vladdy Guerrero, Tejada, Teixiera, I think what killed it was the lack of big names throughout on the pitching roster. Matt Clement, Jon Garland, Colon, kenny Rogers, baez, Bob Wickman, Duescheser, etc. Meh.
NL had some good names there, but also actually a lot of one/two year wonders. Morgan Ensberg really jumps out, as well as others. Also guys who were solid, but nothing spectacular.

I think baseball is going to start to be getting back to those spectacular rosters now. Just look at the guys at this years game, 19 or so are under 26 years old.
I was just marveling at that stat when they posted it. Granted, of those 19 a few will likely either never see an all star game again or it may be awhile before they do. But even if HALF those guys go on to have awesome careers, we'll look back at this era in baseball very favorably!
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Denver Broncos