The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #401
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I don't see Delmon getting a 5/50 deal....not with his inconsistency and off field issues.

It will probably be a deal in the three year range, as nobody will want to commit to him any longer than that.

Here is what he has been paid the last 3 years:

2010 $2,600,000
2011 $5,380,000
2012 $6,750,000

Seeing that and taking into account his production (outside of 2010), I think 3 years and $27 million dollars might actually be on the high end of things.

I think if Detroit or another team offered him a 3 year deal for $21 million to $27 million dollars, he would be wise to jump all over it.
And at that price, it would be the right deal for both sides. Hitting 5th behind Cabrera and Prince, you're not going to get a whole lot better production than Young at $7-$8M a year.

Boesch is only making half a mil, and is only eligible for arbitration in 2013, so the Tigers have 2 years to take a good look at him. I don't think he'll need that, and I'd be willing to bet he'll end up a mid to high .200's guy with 25 HR or so in the next few years. He's locked up until 2016.

Neither Boesch nor Young are good enough hitters to move to full-time DH, and we're going to have a backlog at that position when Victor Martinez comes back anyway. Perhaps move Young before the deadline as a one year rental for someone, but what do you do with Jackson and Berry in the meantime?
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #402
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/80...-perjury-trial

Roger Clemens found not guilty

The jury has returned a 'not guilty' verdict on all six counts in the Roger Clemens perjury trial.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #403
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Good....now I think it's time for the government to take a step back and quit wasting money, time, and resources on this sort of ****.

I've no doubt Clemens probably took HGH....but I don't think it's the government's job to spend all that money and invest all the resources they did to try and prove it....or that he lied to them about it.

They hate it when they think someone is lying under oath....but when you read up on this and see how many people and how much time and money they put into trying to prove it, it will piss you off.

The Barry Bonds witch hunt was ridiculous as well.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #404
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I see Josh Hamilton is missing some more time with 'intestinal issues'.

It sure seems like he gets that or the flu more than the normal person.

I know he has relapsed on alcohol a few times....but this makes me wonder if the is relapsing on opiates now and then.

The biggest side effect of opiate withdrawal is intestinal issues and flu like symptoms....basically when you quit taking them it feels like you have the worst case of flu for several days.

I'm not saying he's taking heroin or popping/snorting oxys or taking percocet or vicodin....but 31 year old athletes usually don't get intestinal issues/flu as many times as he does.

I really hope that isn't the case, but he sure is showing classic signs of opiate withdrawal and he's already relapsed on alcohol a few times recently, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:19 PM   #405
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

OMAHA, Neb. -- Winning a game for the first time at the College World Series isn't supposed to easy.

Just ask Kent State.

The Golden Flashes survived shaky relief pitching to protect a one-run lead in the ninth inning and beat Florida 5-4 on Monday. The loss eliminated the top-seeded Gators, who made it to the finals a year ago.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #406
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Good night for baseball fans in NY.

Yanks win 10th straight behind Sabathia's complete game and 9th win. The Yanks are just nasty good right now.

Mets Dickey pitches complete game 1 hitter for his 11th win. Dickey, too, is nasty good right now.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #407
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

That is awesome for Kent State and The Mid-American Conference (MAC).

First MAC team to make the College World Series since Eastern Michigan in 1976.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #408
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Good night for baseball fans in NY.

Yanks win 10th straight behind Sabathia's complete game and 9th win. The Yanks are just nasty good right now.

Mets Dickey pitches complete game 1 hitter for his 11th win. Dickey, too, is nasty good right now.
Very impressive....that's two one-hitters in a row for Dickey.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 06-18-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #409
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

R.A. Dickey is knuckleballer who is having an incredible season.

Back to back one-hitters.

11-1 on the season with an ERA of 2.00.

103 Ks and only 21 walks in 99 innings pitched.

WHIP of 0.89 for the season.

Dickey is 37 years old and hasn't really stood out in his entire career.

Only 51 career wins....he deserves to start the All-Star game for the National League as of right now.

That would be a cool thing for him and most likely a one time deal.

I'm glad to see a knuckleballer still knuckling around the league with some success.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #410
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Derek Jeter is having a nice season at 37 years old....he will be 38 years old later this month.

Jeter has 3,177 career hits.

I don't think he will touch Pete Rose's record of 4,256 hits.

My guess is that Jeter will end up with between 3,700 and 3,800 hits for his career.

That would put Jeter in the top 3 or 4 all-time for hits.

4,256 is too far out of reach for Jeter....as he would have to play this year and then play another 5 years, averaging close to 200 hits a year to reach and pass Pete Rose.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #411
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

What Dickey is doing right now is incredible. I hope he keeps it up and can be an asset moving forward. Knucklers can pitch into their 40's, after all.

Dickey vs. Sabathia on Sunday Night Baseball this week.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #412
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Derek Jeter is having a nice season at 37 years old....he will be 38 years old later this month.

My guess is that Jeter will end up with between 3,700 and 3,800 hits for his career.

4,256 is too far out of reach for Jeter....as he would have to play this year and then play another 5 years, averaging close to 200 hits a year to reach and pass Pete Rose.
And to put things in perspective, the next closest behind him who has any chance would be A-Rod, and he would have to average 200 hits each year until he was 45. And he hasn't had 200+ hits since 2001. After that is Pujols who would have to average 200 hits until the year 2023.

I don't believe Rose's record will be broken in my lifetime.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #413
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:

Jeter right now is playing above himself, and about to turn 38.
Some fans think he can challenge Rose. I highly, highly doubt that.
At most, he will end up with 3,300 hits this year. He will still need 950+ hits, and he is 38 playing SS. I say he probably plays 3 more years, gets say 510 hits, and finishes up around 3,800 hits. I find it incredible that he will end up with that many hits to be honest.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #414
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I don't believe Rose's record will be broken in my lifetime.
I agree with you there.

I don't think Jeter will hang around (like Rose) just for the sake of breaking the record.

He probably wouldn't go for a less demanding position in the field either.

Ichiro would've had a good chance to catch Rose had he started his US career earlier.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #415
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
I see Josh Hamilton is missing some more time with 'intestinal issues'.

It sure seems like he gets that or the flu more than the normal person.

I know he has relapsed on alcohol a few times....but this makes me wonder if the is relapsing on opiates now and then.

The biggest side effect of opiate withdrawal is intestinal issues and flu like symptoms....basically when you quit taking them it feels like you have the worst case of flu for several days.

I'm not saying he's taking heroin or popping/snorting oxys or taking percocet or vicodin....but 31 year old athletes usually don't get intestinal issues/flu as many times as he does.

I really hope that isn't the case, but he sure is showing classic signs of opiate withdrawal and he's already relapsed on alcohol a few times recently, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.
When i was up in Surprise AZ watching the Rangers and Angles in Spring Training he was playing left field BSing with some 8-12 year old kids...just seems like a cool down to earth dude....
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #416
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
R.A. Dickey is knuckleballer who is having an incredible season.

Back to back one-hitters.

11-1 on the season with an ERA of 2.00.

103 Ks and only 21 walks in 99 innings pitched.

WHIP of 0.89 for the season.

Dickey is 37 years old and hasn't really stood out in his entire career.

Only 51 career wins....he deserves to start the All-Star game for the National League as of right now.

That would be a cool thing for him and most likely a one time deal.

I'm glad to see a knuckleballer still knuckling around the league with some success.
The most amazing thing about Dickey is the control he has over the pitch. Most knucklers walk a lot of guys, but Dickey is putting it right around the strike zone. Also, he pitched really well the last two seasons as well (2.84 ERA in 26 starts in 2010, 3.28 ERA in 32 starts last season), he just kind of flew under the radar because he wasn't getting much run support, and therefore not many wins. This season is something else, though.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #417
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
When i was up in Surprise AZ watching the Rangers and Angles in Spring Training he was playing left field BSing with some 8-12 year old kids...just seems like a cool down to earth dude....
I'm sure Josh Hamilton is a pretty cool dude.

'I hope he beats his demons and is able to stay off the opiates and isn't relapsing.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #418
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
I agree with you there.

I don't think Jeter will hang around (like Rose) just for the sake of breaking the record.

He probably wouldn't go for a less demanding position in the field either.

Ichiro would've had a good chance to catch Rose had he started his US career earlier.
Rose didnt hang around to break the record, he shattered it! He was a player/manager for September/October the last few years of his career (he was on the 40 man roster). Jeter will end up in the top 4 most likely. If you want to sniff the record, you need to be in the league at a very young age like Mike Trout. Robin Yount got in at age 17 and even though he achieved 3K hits, he didn't even get near Rose.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #419
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Rose didnt hang around to break the record, he shattered it! He was a player/manager for September/October the last few years of his career (he was on the 40 man roster). Jeter will end up in the top 4 most likely. If you want to sniff the record, you need to be in the league at a very young age like Mike Trout. Robin Yount got in at age 17 and even though he achieved 3K hits, he didn't even get near Rose.
I wouldn't say he shattered it...he broke the record at the end of his second to last season, and hit 40 points below his career average that season, and 40 points below that the next year. I think it's safe to say he would have passed the record anyhow. I think it's pretty disingenuous to say he stuck around just to break the hit record.

For another perspective on just how hard it will be to break this record...4257 is the number. That's averaging 200 hits for 21 years. There are only 15 players total who have 200+ hits in the past 5 years, with Cano, Jeter and Suzuki being the only ones to do it multiple times. To take your Mike Trout example, if he finishes at the pace he's on and gets about 175 hits this season, he'll have to continue doing that each season until 2036.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #420
houghtam
Ring of Famer

If I had to guess I'd say Cano has the most realistic chance. He's just behind where Jeter was in his career at that point. He's 29 and has just over 1300 hits. He needs about 2000 hits, and at his current pace he'll need to play until he's 40 to break Rose's record.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #421
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
It was only 65 more hits.

I didn't realize the difference was that small until I looked it up.

Plus, Cobb was a CAREER .366 hitter while Rose finished at .303, never hit higher than .348, and slugged 103 points less than Cobb.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...cobbty01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rosepe01.shtml
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #422
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Ichiro is the one player who could have done it, had he played his entire career in MLB.

Ichiro has about 2,500 hits right now and he started playing here when he was 27.

He played 9 years in the Japan, but only 7 as a full time player.

So lets say he played from the age of 21 in MLB, or 6 additional seasons and averaged 200 hits a year.

That would be another 1,200 hits, plus his 2,500....so he might be sitting at around 3,700 hits right now.

That would put him well within range of the record....even with the decline in his play the last few years.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #423
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
If I had to guess I'd say Cano has the most realistic chance. He's just behind where Jeter was in his career at that point. He's 29 and has just over 1300 hits. He needs about 2000 hits, and at his current pace he'll need to play until he's 40 to break Rose's record.
I really thought Mauer had a good shot until his body started acting up.

As a Yankees fan, I've watched a lot of Cano, and he'll be as good as his lackadaisical attitude allows him to be.

Cano could be one of the all time greats if he improved on the mental part of his game.

For the younger players, I think Bryce Harper and the aforementioned Mike Trout have good shots at the hit record too.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #424
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
It was only 65 more hits.

I didn't realize the difference was that small until I looked it up.

Plus, Cobb was a CAREER .366 hitter while Rose finished at .303, never hit higher than .348, and slugged 103 points less than Cobb.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...cobbty01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...rosepe01.shtml
I don't think you'll find a single person, including Rose, as conceited as he is, who claims Rose was a better hitter than Cobb. He just has more hits. There is pride in that.

For that matter, I don't think there will ever be another player who finishes within 30 points of Cobb in career BA. The closest active player is Pujols at .325. The most recent player to even sniff would be Tony Gwynn (think of how many times you've seen him on base), and he finished at .338.

BA just isn't as important anymore. You would think with a league twice the size it was when Cobb was playing, the elite hitters would take advantage of the awful pitchers and put up crazy numbers for average, but it hasn't happened.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #425
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Quote:
I don't think you'll find a single person, including Rose, as conceited as he is, who claims Rose was a better hitter than Cobb. He just has more hits. There is pride in that.

For that matter, I don't think there will ever be another player who finishes within 30 points of Cobb in career BA. The closest active player is Pujols at .325. The most recent player to even sniff would be Tony Gwynn (think of how many times you've seen him on base), and he finished at .338.

BA just isn't as important anymore. You would think with a league twice the size it was when Cobb was playing, the elite hitters would take advantage of the awful pitchers and put up crazy numbers for average, but it hasn't happened.
Good point.

In my opinion, the pitching talent is getting better while stigma of striking out is decreasing.

Guys are swinging from the heels no matter the situation instead of just putting the ball in play when they get two strikes on them.