The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #926
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,805

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Not sure what you're asking for...?
These characters will be showing up in season 3 of the tv series. I want to know how they relate to the characters we know now as it relates to the tv series.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #927
myMind
splinters reality until
 
myMind's Avatar
 
We Grok

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post

SPOILER: ( I never realized just how much guilt Eddard Stark walks around with until the second read-through. The nuance of this character is awesome. He's hiding a secret from his wife and his best friend (who also happens to be the king), and the weight of that secret causes him a lot of inner turmoil. Whenever he is in personal moments with either Catelyn or Robert, his mysterious promise to Lyanna is not far from his thoughts.

Can you imagine hiding from your best friend that your sister, who is his lifelong love interest, gave birth to a son of the prince he had slain, and you are now fostering as your own son? And you have to lie to your wife by telling her he's yours? (presuming that Jon is Lyanna and Rheagar's son, which I am a 100% subscriber to).

)
Abso****inglutely...GrrMs combination of logos and Pathos is phenominal.
Now get used to waiting.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #928
myMind
splinters reality until
 
myMind's Avatar
 
We Grok

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,583

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Spoiler: (– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

SPOILER: (

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

)
SPOILER: ( ) Can somebody give me some 411 on these guys. Thanks! )
SPOILER: (

The info is that they are all currently being cast for next season.
Read the books if you want to know who they are and why it matters.

Daario = Danny

Jojen = Bran

Edmure = Rob + Catlyn

Brynden (Blackfish) = Rob + Catlyn

Shireen = Stannis

Selyse = Stannis (duh)

Queen of Thorns = Kings Landing

Lightning Knight = Arya (hopefully)

Thoros = Arya (see above)

Tormund(one of my faves) = Jon Snow
)

Last edited by myMind; 06-12-2012 at 11:17 PM..
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #929
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,096

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

see the >>'s in the spoilered/quoted text below. Basic info (including spoilerish material, but fairly clean) for the ones that didn't already have enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Spoiler: (



– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

>> Leader of a mercenary army. Plays a significant part in Dany's storyline through B5.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

>> Protectors/teachers of Bran after they flee Winterfell (should have been in season 2 if they stuck 100% to the books).

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

>> Takes Sansa "under her wing" to an extent. Is my favorite non main character, particularly for her personality and actions =) You'll understand after S3.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

>> He's the leader of the group of men sent by Eddard to arrest Gregor Clegane in S1. Currently this group is an outlaw group that we see Tywin order hunted down in S2 while he's at Harrenhall. The group has a small but very significant part (which crosses paths with a couple major characters in, interesting, ways) to play in B3 and B4.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

>> Part of Beric Dondarrion's outlaws.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

>> One of Mance Raynor's "right hand men"


) Can somebody give me some 411 on these guys. Thanks!
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #930
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,805

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
see the >>'s in the spoilered/quoted text below. Basic info (including spoilerish material, but fairly clean) for the ones that didn't already have enough.
REP!!!
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #931
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I really wish people would quit whining this isn't exactly like the books. It's primary goal is to be a good TV series. They are going to shuffle things around to save set money and make the script work for the small screen. That means you won't see 10000 Dothraki every episode, and they won't show the hot springs pumping through the walls of Winterfell castle. Just enjoy the series and be patient.

Yes, the primary goal is to adapt the Novels into the Best TV series possible. And I maintain that while streamlining characters and events is entirely necessary, the large scale alterations in season 2 served to noticeably weaken the narrative and have not been in the interest of making the best TV possible.

For instance, Arya becoming Tywin's cup bearer. This change created two logical breaks that did not exist in the novels. Why did Arya not use one of her three deaths on Tywin, and why was Tywin simply sitting around at Harrenhaal while Rob was raiding his lands?

Martin's original Narrative for Arya in book two was stronger and made more sense than what Benioff and Weiss gave us in season 2. Additionally, the show's changes to the Harenhaal plot will need to be addressed again in season 3 to logistically allow for future scenes to occur.

With Martin's glacial work pace, we are probably already looking at Benioff and Weiss just writing the last couple of season on their own. Given the current quality of their work when they depart from Martin's written word, I can't say they are inspiring a lot of faith in me.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #932
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?
 
El Guapo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Never, ever, ever go to these sites unless you want to rob all the mystery out of the story. There are important events that happen all the way to the last chapters of the book, and visiting these sites is a sure way to have these events spoiled.

I learned the hard way with SPOILER: ( the murder of Jon Snow ) .
I was quoting to say that I should have included this disclaimer when I read your spoiler in the quote. Well ****. I didn't know that and that sucks. Guess I need to stay out of this thread all together.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #933
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
I was quoting to say that I should have included this disclaimer when I read your spoiler in the quote. Well ****. I didn't know that and that sucks. Guess I need to stay out of this thread all together.
This has to do with TJ's spoiler, so beware.

SPOILER: ( To be fair it's not correct to say "murder" just yet. It isn't known whether he survived or not )
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #934
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?
 
El Guapo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,044
Default

I'm not reading it, sorry.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #935
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler
 
JLesSPE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Republic, MO
Posts: 545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
I'm not reading it, sorry.
That's cool, that's why I put a disclaimer on it.
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #936
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

SPOILER: (
HELL YES!!!! **** YOU JOFFREY! LITTLE ****ING SNAKE!!!!! Ok, this is by far one of the most addictive books I've ever read. I hope they make about three seasons out of it. Chris was right...the deaths, the sweet sweet deaths! Just one crazy chapter after another.

Starting to feel sad for Sansa. Even though she seemed insolent and petty at first, you can't help but hope that SOMEONE comes to her rescue in the near future. Lysa seems like a crazy woman, and at this point I'd just hope that Highgarden somehow whisps her away in the future. Did not see Stannis coming to the aid of the Wall...CRAZY!

Taco, I'm right there with ya. Jamie Lanister is fast becoming one of my favorite characters...now that we know the truth of Aerys' treachery, Jamie is rectified (to some degree).

Poor, poor Tyrion. That little imp just can't catch a break

Can't wait to get home and finish this book!!!
)
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #937
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
SPOILER: (
HELL YES!!!! **** YOU JOFFREY! LITTLE ****ING SNAKE!!!!! Ok, this is by far one of the most addictive books I've ever read. I hope they make about three seasons out of it. Chris was right...the deaths, the sweet sweet deaths! Just one crazy chapter after another.

Starting to feel sad for Sansa. Even though she seemed insolent and petty at first, you can't help but hope that SOMEONE comes to her rescue in the near future. Lysa seems like a crazy woman, and at this point I'd just hope that Highgarden somehow whisps her away in the future. Did not see Stannis coming to the aid of the Wall...CRAZY!

Taco, I'm right there with ya. Jamie Lanister is fast becoming one of my favorite characters...now that we know the truth of Aerys' treachery, Jamie is rectified (to some degree).

Poor, poor Tyrion. That little imp just can't catch a break

Can't wait to get home and finish this book!!!
)

I was watching the first season with my sister who was incensed over Sansa's actions in the second episode. (lying about the incident with Joffrey and the Butcher's boy) I remember telling her that Sansa would pay for her sins with interest.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:13 AM   #938
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive
 
Boobs McGee's Avatar
 
till the day that I die

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Glendale
Posts: 5,004

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I was watching the first season with my sister who was incensed over Sansa's actions in the second episode. (lying about the incident with Joffrey and the Butcher's boy) I remember telling her that Sansa would pay for her sins with interest.
I thought the saaaaaame thing. Now, I can't help but think how incredibly dimwitted she was, and just excited at the prospect of being a queen....adolescence and all that jazz.

PS your avatar looks very direwolf-esque (or how I'd originally pictured them anyway haha)
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #939
Taco John
24/7 Broncos
 
Taco John's Avatar
 
All Hail King Midas

Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 50,574

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Why did Arya not use one of her three deaths on Tywin, and why was Tywin simply sitting around at Harrenhaal while Rob was raiding his lands?

For the same reason she didn't in the books. She's a young girl who is attacking people being mean to her, not being militarily strategic. It's a huge part of her character through the whole book. She does things without thinking through her actions and their consequences.

Last edited by Taco John; 06-13-2012 at 09:24 AM..
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #940
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
I thought the saaaaaame thing. Now, I can't help but think how incredibly dimwitted she was, and just excited at the prospect of being a queen....adolescence and all that jazz.

PS your avatar looks very direwolf-esque (or how I'd originally pictured them anyway haha)
Thanks. He's a bit bigger now than when I took the photo. But, he's still a goober. About the only thing that has to live in mortal fear of him is an untended package of provolone.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #941
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
For the same reason she didn't in the books. She's a young girl who is attacking people being mean to her, not being militarily strategic. It's a huge part of her character through the whole book. She does things without thinking through her actions and their consequences.
And that point is driven home much more clearly in the books than it is in the TV series. In the books we understand while it would have made far more sense for her to use one of her 'deaths' on Gregor Clegane, she instead uses it on one if his cronies who brags about his participation in the gang rape of a young bar maid. Martin is careful to only give her fleeting glimpses of Tywin and his banner men before they return to the field of battle.

The show has her constantly playing with a knife and wrestling with her own internal desire to take Tywin's life herself, haulted largely due to timing and her confidence in her ability to successfully complete the dead. So, it makes even less since that when provided the ultimate opportunity to accomplish the task, she doesn't once consider it.

Plus, Tywin's entire extended sojourn in Harenhaal doesn't entirely make sense while Rob is largely running unchecked through his own lands. In the book he immediately returns to the field of battle in Pursuit of Robb's hosts only to be turned back by Edmure Tully's forces long enough for him to hear of Stannis marshalling his own forces and attacking Kings Landing. Now, a lot of that obviously would need to be streamlined. But it would have made much more sense for Tywin to have been out and about with the writers throwing out occasional references to him hitting pockets of resistance instead of just sitting in Harenhaal exchanging witty banter with some peasant girl he randomly plucked out of a crowd of prisoners and apparently trusts to handle his food and drink. (yeah, huge logical problems with this act as well. Robert used Lancel Laninster as his Cup bearer and Tywin is willing to slum it with an unknown peasant girl?)

And why did we get this massive change? Because the show runners fell in love with the chemistry between Charles Dance and Maisie Williams. So, they let their love of a few scenes and clever dialog override story structure. That's a freshman film school mistake.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #942
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
For the same reason she didn't in the books. She's a young girl who is attacking people being mean to her, not being militarily strategic. It's a huge part of her character through the whole book. She does things without thinking through her actions and their consequences.
... she succeeded on overthrowing the most impenetrable fortress in Westeros, so I'm gonna have to disagree...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #943
v2micca
Ring of Famer
 
v2micca's Avatar
 
Richard III was a field guide.

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
... she succeeded on overthrowing the most impenetrable fortress in Westeros, so I'm gonna have to disagree...
Which technically didn't happen in the TV show. Another glaring change. I'm assuming at some point next season the writers will do some triage to address that point.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #944
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Which technically didn't happen in the TV show. Another glaring change. I'm assuming at some point next season the writers will do some triage to address that point.
He wasn't talking about the show though.

Weasel soup up in this b****.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #945
Jerry Curl
Seasoned Veteran
 
Jerry Curl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 387
Default

Arya and Tywin's scenes were awesome imo. But I still haven't read much of the books
Jerry Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #946
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,010

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

The main problem with Arya is that the actress is 3-4 years older than the character in the book (as is the case with all the Stark children). This complicates how the character interacts with others - it just wouldn't work to have Maisie Williams with a nickname of "squab", or "weasel", as in the books. She has far too much presence for that. So they had to figure out something else to do with her. And the fans of the book are not going to like "going off Cannon".

Her age and apparent clarity of thought (in the HBO series) also create logical anomalies when she "stays on script" - making illogical decisions only an 8 year old would make.

We're just going to have to learn to deal with it - as the actress isn't likely to stop growing any time soon. It's possible that character arc may differ wildly from the source material by the end of season 4. Frankly, I don't see how it could not.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #947
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
The main problem with Arya is that the actress is 3-4 years older than the character in the book (as is the case with all the Stark children). This complicates how the character interacts with others - it just wouldn't work to have Maisie Williams with a nickname of "squab", or "weasel", as in the books. She has far too much presence for that. So they had to figure out something else to do with her. And the fans of the book are not going to like "going off Cannon".

Her age and apparent clarity of thought (in the HBO series) also create logical anomalies when she "stays on script" - making illogical decisions only an 8 year old would make.

We're just going to have to learn to deal with it - as the actress isn't likely to stop growing any time soon. It's possible that character arc may differ wildly from the source material by the end of season 4. Frankly, I don't see how it could not.
Martin's said the kid's ages were a mistake because he planned on having a multi-year gap between SoS and aFfC, but in the end, he couldn't pull it off.

So according to the creator himself, the kid's ages are off in the book, and not in the tv show.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #948
BroncsRule
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,010

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Martin's said the kid's ages were a mistake because he planned on having a multi-year gap between SoS and aFfC, but in the end, he couldn't pull it off.

So according to the creator himself, the kid's ages are off in the book, and not in the tv show.
OK - that's great and all, but in the first 2 (and most of 3) books he still wrote the characters, Arya in particular, as younger.

He changed his mind later. Great. Doesn't retroactively change how he crafted them in the first place. With Rob & Jon, it actually helps - as some of the stuff they pulled off in the books is hard to belive from a couple of teenagers (from a leadership perspective).

but Arya, in the books, is a pre-pubescent girl. Maisie Williams - is not.
BroncsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #949
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,644

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncsRule View Post
OK - that's great and all, but in the first 2 (and most of 3) books he still wrote the characters, Arya in particular, as younger.

He changed his mind later. Great. Doesn't retroactively change how he crafted them in the first place. With Rob & Jon, it actually helps - as some of the stuff they pulled off in the books is hard to belive from a couple of teenagers (from a leadership perspective).

but Arya, in the books, is a pre-pubescent girl. Maisie Williams - is not.
Name one example where the actress playing her being 14 (11 when she was cast) has conflicted with the story.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #950
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
Time to believe!

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Gensis Planet
Posts: 6,805

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

I need some help here: Spoiler( In the TV series The "dog" says to Sensa basically "I'll be the only one standing between the kings swords and you." Then in the season finale then the "dog" offers to take Sensa away and she declines. Is there something in the books that talks more about this? )If there is a post earlier about this just refer me to it thanks.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 AM.


Denver Broncos