The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #901
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I finished all the books, and am re-reading A Game of Thrones right now. I've discovered something in the text that leads me to question whether Jon Snow is actually Ned's son.

Speculative SPOILER: ( In the book, Ned and Robert are talking about Tywinn Lannister's treachery in taking the Red Castle, and as an off comment, it mentions that Ned had been living a lie the last 14 years -
"Treachery is a coin that the Tragaryen's knew well," Robert said. The anger was building in him again. "Lannister payed them back in kind. It was no less than they deserved. I shall not trouble my sleep over it!"

"You were not there," Ned said, bitterness in his voice. Troubled sleep was no stranger to him. He had lived his lies for fourteen years yet they still haunted him at night. "There was no honor in that conquest."
Whatever lie Eddard has been living for fourteen years, it has to do with a certain 14 year old boy (Jon Snow). What else happened 14 years ago? The death of Lyanna. I suspect that Lyanna is the true mother of Jon Snow, making him a bastard of Raegar Tygaryen, not Eddard.
)

I'm almost done with GOT for the second time too, and I noticed this...

SPOILER: ( Jon sticks his arms in the burning curtains to kill the white walker in Lord Mormonts bed chamber, and gets pleasure from the flames )

Nm, I should have read further. I forgot how bad his burns are.

Last edited by DivineLegion; 06-09-2012 at 02:28 PM..
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #902
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Good. Do it right.
Ugh, please. Splitting one of the books into two seasons will not make it better, it will just add more bloat. And David Benioff and D.B. Wiess would not use the extra episodes to include more of the secondary characters and plot line from the books, but to introduce more of their own creations. Ironically, I think forcing them to keep the narrative tighter would also force them to stay closer to the source material.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #903
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Ugh, please. Splitting one of the books into two seasons will not make it better, it will just add more bloat. And David Benioff and D.B. Wiess would not use the extra episodes to include more of the secondary characters and plot line from the books, but to introduce more of their own creations. Ironically, I think forcing them to keep the narrative tighter would also force them to stay closer to the source material.
I think their job is to make a good series. You just cannot "copy" a book that has things like a character's inner monologue as he experiences emotions and sees and experiences things that trigger memories, etc. This is why I never fault writers for endeavoring to make something a good Movie/show/whatever first and then trying hard to be as close to the source material as possible. Tyrion's inner insecurity adds a whole level to his character that makes him even more likable and that is harder to reveal in the series. It's still good, though.

I mean you want to complain Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings, that's fine. I don't expect my book-based media to be as good or even like books. That's why I read them.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #904
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Nm, I should have read further. I forgot how bad his burns are.
SPOILER: ( his burns are irrelevant and have nothing to do with his lineage. Martin has even said Dany's fire trick was a one time and she herself is far from immune to fire/heat (yes, I know, the Pentos bath scene too) )
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #905
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think their job is to make a good series. You just cannot "copy" a book that has things like a character's inner monologue as he experiences emotions and sees and experiences things that trigger memories, etc. This is why I never fault writers for endeavoring to make something a good Movie/show/whatever first and then trying hard to be as close to the source material as possible. Tyrion's inner insecurity adds a whole level to his character that makes him even more likable and that is harder to reveal in the series. It's still good, though.

I mean you want to complain Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings, that's fine. I don't expect my book-based media to be as good or even like books. That's why I read them.

Hey, I have no problem with scenes and characters being left or tweaked from the book in the translation to the Film. Like you said, some scenes just don't translate well to film or would kill the pacing of the film. I get that. I do have a problem with creating new material and inserting it into the story. Like I said, would rather see the Show Runners work with ten episodes and be forced to streamline more of the book and stay truer to the series, than add another 10 episodes were they decide to toss in more random dragon kidnapping or Varys teams with Ros to take the iron throne plot threads.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #906
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Holy bawls.

SPOILER: ( **** YOU FREYS AND WALDERS!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuun yoooooooooou aaaaallllllll!!!!! Ishould've known that was too easy. poor stark family. I will say this..catelyn deserved to die imo. She was the cause of the majority of problems.
One quick question...can someone explain to me who John Snow 's mother wyllas is? Starfell? I'm not sure if I missed it, but what's the significance there?
)
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #907
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Holy bawls.

SPOILER: ( **** YOU FREYS AND WALDERS!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuun yoooooooooou aaaaallllllll!!!!! Ishould've known that was too easy. poor stark family. I will say this..catelyn deserved to die imo. She was the cause of the majority of problems.
One quick question...can someone explain to me who John Snow 's mother wyllas is? Starfell? I'm not sure if I missed it, but what's the significance there?
)
lol

SPOILER: ( His mother is most likely Lyanna Stark and his father Rhaegar )
Old 06-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #908
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
lol

SPOILER: ( His mother is most likely Lyanna Stark and his father Rhaegar )
Ooooooooooh SHIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!

SPOILER: (
Im literally at the part where the hound and arya are outside the portcullis of the twins. Will the Raegar revelation bear itself later in this book? Also, does that mean that Dany and he are cousins!?!
)
Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #909
underrated29
Ahoy

You lika da sexy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Boobs- We dont know yet
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #910
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Ooooooooooh SHIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!

SPOILER: (
Im literally at the part where the hound and arya are outside the portcullis of the twins. Will the Raegar revelation bear itself later in this book? Also, does that mean that Dany and he are cousins!?!
)

SPOILER: ( It hasn't come out in any of the books yet, but its heavily alluded to. )
Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #911
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Holy bawls.

)
SPOILER: ( There are several conflicting stories about who Jon's mother is. The true story died with Ned, however there is one man who is presumed to have the full truth still alive: Howland Reed - Jojen and Meera's Reed's father. They may know the truth as well. )
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #912
JLesSPE
Pro Bowler

haha, I love the reaction
JLesSPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #913
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
SPOILER: ( There are several conflicting stories about who Jon's mother is. The true story died with Ned, however there is one man who is presumed to have the full truth still alive: Howland Reed - Jojen and Meera's Reed's father. They may know the truth as well. )
SPOILER: ( too bad they're nowhere to be found on the tv series. )
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #914
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

WOW mind = blown. Thanks for the responses everyone. This has been the most fruitful three days of 101+ degree fevers and jury duty ever! I should be done with book 3 by tomorrow!
Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #915
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
This.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #916
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
They will be in next season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/ga...season-3-cast/

I can forgive the changes here, it would suck (for both actors and the production) to bring in important character actors for a couple minutes of screen time in one season and then not see them again until the next season.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 06-12-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Fedaykin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #917
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anyone else similarly impressed/amused by GRRM's character names?

I figure anyone that can pull off naming a semi-important character Whoresbane is badass =)
Fedaykin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #918
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
They are scheduled to enter the story in season 3.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #919
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

It has been so long since I actually read the freaking books that I am missing out on all the secondary characters and plot lines. It been about 15 years since I started reading this series.
elsid13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #920
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I really wish people would quit whining this isn't exactly like the books. It's primary goal is to be a good TV series. They are going to shuffle things around to save set money and make the script work for the small screen. That means you won't see 10000 Dothraki every episode, and they won't show the hot springs pumping through the walls of Winterfell castle. Just enjoy the series and be patient.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #921
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
It has been so long since I actually read the freaking books that I am missing out on all the secondary characters and plot lines. It been about 15 years since I started reading this series.
I'm in my second read through the entire series (in a row). I'm loving the little details that I'm picking up the second time around. I'm just about finished with book 1 and am so impressed with how everything connects to something else. And how the inner monologues tell you more about the characters than you are able to pick up on the first read.

SPOILER: ( I never realized just how much guilt Eddard Stark walks around with until the second read-through. The nuance of this character is awesome. He's hiding a secret from his wife and his best friend (who also happens to be the king), and the weight of that secret causes him a lot of inner turmoil. Whenever he is in personal moments with either Catelyn or Robert, his mysterious promise to Lyanna is not far from his thoughts.

Can you imagine hiding from your best friend that your sister, who is his lifelong love interest, gave birth to a son of the prince he had slain, and you are now fostering as your own son? And you have to lie to your wife by telling her he's yours? (presuming that Jon is Lyanna and Rheagar's son, which I am a 100% subscriber to).

)
Old 06-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #922
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Spoiler: (– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

) Can somebody give me some 411 on these guys. Thanks!
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #923
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Can somebody give me some 411 on these guys. Thanks!
Not sure what you're asking for...?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #924
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

or

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/...f_Thrones_Wiki
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #925
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Never, ever, ever go to these sites unless you want to rob all the mystery out of the story. There are important events that happen all the way to the last chapters of the book, and visiting these sites is a sure way to have these events spoiled.

I learned the hard way with SPOILER: ( the murder of Jon Snow ) .