The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1051
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Took me 4.5 days to read, like 150 pages per night. Hard to put down.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 AM   #1052
steeledude
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca View Post
recently read 'hyperion' by dan simmons and am currently finishing up 'fall of hyperion', the sequel. very thought-provoking sci-fi.
next up is 'song of susannah', book 6 of stephen king's dark tower. the last book wasn't the best, but the series is wrapping up so i gotta finish it.

no1broncofan - how do you rate larry niven's work? haven't read any of it but heard good things.
Have you read "the Terror" by Dan Simmons? It is way different from Hyperion, it is historical fiction mixed with an abominable snowman, but nonetheless, it is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's huge too. Like 800 pages. I couldn't put it down. Takes place in the arctic (back when it was still cold and frozen), and I remember feeling cold the entire time I read it. I highly recommend it.

P.S. didn't realize I was responding to you from 8 years in the past! I was wondering why you were just reading Song of Susanah! Wolves of the Calla was pretty bad, and I quit there back in 2004.

Last edited by steeledude; 06-04-2012 at 02:55 AM..
steeledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 AM   #1053
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeledude View Post
Have you read "the Terror" by Dan Simmons? It is way different from Hyperion, it is historical fiction mixed with an abominable snowman, but nonetheless, it is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's huge too. Like 800 pages. I couldn't put it down. Takes place in the arctic (back when it was still cold and frozen), and I remember feeling cold the entire time I read it. I highly recommend it.

P.S. didn't realize I was responding to you from 8 years in the past! I was wondering why you were just reading Song of Susanah! Wolves of the Calla was pretty bad, and I quit there back in 2004.
Whoa, not only another Simmons fan, but a fan of The Terror. That's one of my favorites. He's been pretty hit or miss for years, but that one was hard to put down.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #1054
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooptyHoops View Post
Out of the 13, what books(s) where your favorite?
Probably Towers of Midnight. After toughing it out through a brutal stretch of bla bla bla for several thousand pages it was nice to see the story start to wrap up. Jordan started some quality story lines that have been treading water up for several books. It's about time they get into the action.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #1055
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeledude View Post

Haha, no prob, 8 years ago is nothing when there are so many good books out. Yes, I've read 'The Terror' and it's actually the last new Simmons book I have read. Flashback is on my list to read, but alas my amount of reading has dropped lately. Anyways, 'The Terror' was awesome, I definitely felt that cold feeling you mention. Heck, that book actually put me into a somewhat grey, semi-depressed slothy state for about two weeks near the middle of the book. And I really loved the turn at the end with the Native American spiritual spin. Hope they make a movie sometime.

Speaking of Dark Tower, anyone notice that there's a new Dark Tower novel out by King? Forgot the name, but I'm tempted to read it... looks to be a flashback type story in the vein of 'Wizard and Glass' which I really loved.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #1056
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Whoa, not only another Simmons fan, but a fan of The Terror. That's one of my favorites. He's been pretty hit or miss for years, but that one was hard to put down.
I agree... I absolutely love the Hyperion Cantos, and Ilium started off great, but by the time it ended I was pretty sure I had no desire whatsoever to read Olympos. Sad thing is that I bought Olympos... heh.

I've been thinking of picking of Carrion Comfort for a while, is it worth the read? I've never really been into horror but I love sci-fi.

Speaking of sci-fi - a great Hugo award winner I read last year was Robert Charles Wilson's 'SPIN'... Awesome concept for sci-fi and it really felt like something that could actually happen. There's a couple sequels out - 'Axis' and something else, which I haven't read, but the first book was definitely worth it.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #1057
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Wow, i read the first hyperion....but it was so long ago!
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #1058
Jay3

Quote:
I've been thinking of picking of Carrion Comfort for a while, is it worth the read? I've never really been into horror but I love sci-fi.
Yes, it's one of his best books, in my "top three" for him.

However, it was probably 20+ years ago since I read it, so maybe my discriminating taste has changed. But it was extremely well done -- horror that was actually scary.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #1059
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Wow, i read the first hyperion....but it was so long ago!
I think the first book gets the most acclaim... but IMO the last two are by far the best of the Cantos. The tale of Raul Endymion and Aenea will stay with me forever...
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #1060
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I think the first book gets the most acclaim... but IMO the last two are by far the best of the Cantos. The tale of Raul Endymion and Aenea will stay with me forever...
I will have to re-read & get up to speed.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM   #1061
Jay3

Quote:
I agree... I absolutely love the Hyperion Cantos, and Ilium started off great, but by the time it ended I was pretty sure I had no desire whatsoever to read Olympos. Sad thing is that I bought Olympos... heh.
You called it right -- I loved Ilium (all of it), but the Olympos was a hot mess and kind of ruined the "series" for me. I know longer have fond memories of Ilium because of what Olympos did to it. (Still a great idea, though).

I call this "The Matrix Syndrome."
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #1062
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Yes, after reading Elantris, I jumped right into Mistborn....it was good, but Elantris was better.
Agreed.

Quote:
What would you recommend from here?
The Halfblood Chronicles by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey (fantasy).

Anything by C.J. Cherryh, but especially the "Fortress" series (fantasy), the "Faded Sun" trilogy (sci fi) and the "Foreigner" series (sci fi).

The "Idlewild" series (post-apocalyptic sci-fi) from Nick Sagan, son of eminent cosmologist and author of "Contact," Carl Sagan.

"The Hunger Games" trilogy (distopian future sci-fi) by Suzanne Collins.

"The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse" (think "Hitchikers Guide" but with fairy tale creatures ) by Robert Rankin.

The "Alcatraz" books (fantasy) by Brandon Sanderson are a lot of fun even if they are aimed at a juvenile crowd.

Also can't forget the "Artemis Fowl" books by Eoin Colfer.

Those are just some of the places you can go.

Ben
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #1063
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

I finished the "Walking Dead" compendium last week. I enjoyed it.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #1064
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Cool. I've been looking for a new sci fi book.
Just finished, not his best work. If you are going to read something by Reynolds I would recomend Chasm City

Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #1065
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
Agreed.

Anything by C.J. Cherryh, but especially the "Fortress" series (fantasy), the "Faded Sun" trilogy (sci fi) and the "Foreigner" series (sci fi).

The "Idlewild" series (post-apocalyptic sci-fi) from Nick Sagan, son of eminent cosmologist and author of "Contact," Carl Sagan.

"The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocolypse" (think "Hitchikers Guide" but with fairy tale creatures ) by Robert Rankin.

The "Alcatraz" books (fantasy) by Brandon Sanderson are a lot of fun even if they are aimed at a juvenile crowd.

Ben
Thanks for the recommends, as I had an awesome run on books(The Shack, then Elantris, then the Mistborn series), but then went to Peter Watts and the Starfish series.....yep, I stopped reading midway through the 2nd book!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 AM   #1066
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Agreed.

Ben
i liked most of those, but found The Hunger Games trilogy to be extremely overrated.

the books are put together in a way that they feel rushed, as if they were missing several chapters, especially the 2nd and 3rd books. also, Katniss is one of if not the least likeable lead characters i have ever followed in any book.

the books were decent, but on a scale of 1-10 i give the series a 5.
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #1067
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm on my second read through the Song of Ice and Fire books and am enjoying it just as much on the second read-through as I did on the first. It's amazing the little details you pick up the second time through.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #1068
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm on my second read through the Song of Ice and Fire books and am enjoying it just as much on the second read-through as I did on the first. It's amazing the little details you pick up the second time through.
5000 pages is alot to read twice.

Have you tried Martin's The Hedge Knight trilogy? Set about 80-90 years before GoT. Not as good as any of the ASOIAF books IMHO, but an interesting look at Westeros under Targaryen rule and just as violent. Combined I think it's about 400-500 pages.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #1069
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Thanks for the recommends, as I had an awesome run on books(The Shack, then Elantris, then the Mistborn series), but then went to Peter Watts and the Starfish series.....yep, I stopped reading midway through the 2nd book!
Really? I've enjoyed everything I've read from Peter Watts (including "Starfish" books). To each his own.
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM   #1070
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
Really? I've enjoyed everything I've read from Peter Watts (including "Starfish" books). To each his own.
It just didn't grab me...moved too slow....kinda like a game of baseball to me.

I agree, we all like and have different tastes, but I would much rather read something somebody really liked as a starting point.
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #1071
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I read "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemmingway the other day.

It was a book I'd been meaning to read for a while.

I enjoyed it.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #1072
Turd_Ferguson

I read the Name of the Wind, and the Wise Mans Fear.. They are the first 2 books of a trilogy and the third book hasn't released yet, I thought they were awesome.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #1073
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Has anyone read the Pendergast Series of books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child?

I think there are 11 of them out right now, with a 12th on the way.

I've enjoyed them all, for the most part.

Agent Pendergast is one cool and interesting character.

Both authors have also written some pretty good solo novels.

I really liked Douglas Preston's books 'Tyrannosaur Canyon', 'The Codex', and 'Blasphemy'.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #1074
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Talk about awesome
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #1075
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I read "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemmingway the other day.

It was a book I'd been meaning to read for a while.

I enjoyed it.
I liked that book as well.

War and Peace is a must read, so well written.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote