The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #326
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
The White Sox success confounds me right now. I honestly don't think they will really make a strong push for the playoffs, unless their pitching "stablizes" and they get consistency from throughout their lineup.
Just a glance, but there looks to be ZERO depth for the Sox, exactly one guy on the bench hitting .200 or better and ironically its right at .200.

Then again, that whole division is a big crapshoot.
Your right about their depth but with the way Konerko, AJ, Dunn, are hitting it doesn't matter yet, it is funny Kenny Williams was complaining about attendance before the latest win streak and made what I consider to be a threat about the trade deadline but if they are in the thick of it by then I bet they pick up a bat or 2 to help out.

I think their pitching is very good, again depth is an issue but Reed has been a good closer, they have a good solid 3 man deep roation, still could use a 4th and 5th guy to depend on but they are clicking right now.

It seems dumping Ozzie was a smart move, a lot of guys like Rios and Dunn who were struggling under Ozzie are having good to great years.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #327
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Justin Verlander takes the mound tonight against the Red Sox on ESPN.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM   #328
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
ESPN reports that any team would have to outbid the Rangers. Oswalt didn't have a very good year for a team stacked with great players.
I think he he still has good value at Dodgers stadium. Anything to move Harang to the pen.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #329
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I think he he still has good value at Dodgers stadium. Anything to move Harang to the pen.
ESPN is reporting that Oswalt signed with the Rangers today.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #330
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Magglio Ordonez was unable to latch on with a new team after rehabbing his second ankle surgery and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the six-time All-Star will make his retirement official Sunday at “Magglio Ordonez Day” in Detroit.

Ordonez spent his first eight seasons with the White Sox and his final seven seasons with the Tigers, hitting .309 with 294 homers, 2,156 hits, and an .871 OPS to rank among the best right-handed hitters of the past 20 years.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #331
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
ESPN is reporting that Oswalt signed with the Rangers today.
I just read that.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #332
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Justin Verlander takes the mound tonight against the Red Sox on ESPN.
Against Daniel Bard which means I doubt the Sox win this one.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #333
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Saves always gives makes me wonder why 3 runs indicated a save. A pitcher can come into a game with a 4-1 lead, give up back to back homeruns, and then three straight ground ball outs and he gets a save. A closer should be able to protect a 3 run lead in the 9th 99% of the time.
It's not just three runs that qualifies you as a save. You can also qualify by pitching a certain number of innings. I can see why you wouldnt bother mentioning that because the idea of anyoe these days qualifying for a save that way is kind of a joke. But it does make me wonder what would happen if they changed the rules on what qualifies as a save to require a pitcher to pitch more than two innings. Is it such a selling point in contract negotiations that pitchers will either push to pitch three innings at the back end of the game or simply whine because of the rule change.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #334
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

^ Nothing wrong with a save for 3 innings as it is rarely done and it is something of an accomplishment for a relief pitcher. The current rule is a joke to qualify for a save. The on deck batter, representing a tie, allows the pitcher to qualify for a save. WTF? The on deck batter isn't even in the game and so a 4 to 1 game with one on and two outs gets the pitcher a save for coming in and facing the one (possible) batter.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #335
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Magglio Ordonez was unable to latch on with a new team after rehabbing his second ankle surgery and Jason Beck of MLB.com reports that the six-time All-Star will make his retirement official Sunday at “Magglio Ordonez Day” in Detroit.

Ordonez spent his first eight seasons with the White Sox and his final seven seasons with the Tigers, hitting .309 with 294 homers, 2,156 hits, and an .871 OPS to rank among the best right-handed hitters of the past 20 years.
One of the best right handed hitters of the past 20 years? Is this a joke? Ordonez was a good player and all, but seriously?
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #336
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:

I was mad they let him walk but they won the WS without him the next year so no great loss after all. Dye turned into a much better clutch hitter for us than Magglio was.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #337
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
^ Nothing wrong with a save for 3 innings as it is rarely done and it is something of an accomplishment for a relief pitcher. The current rule is a joke to qualify for a save. The on deck batter, representing a tie, allows the pitcher to qualify for a save. WTF? The on deck batter isn't even in the game and so a 4 to 1 game with one on and two outs gets the pitcher a save for coming in and facing the one (possible) batter.
It's even easier than that. A pitcher gets credited with a save if all four of the following conditions are met:

He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
He is not the winning pitcher;
He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
He satisfies one of the following conditions:
He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
He pitches for at least three innings

The three innings thing is awesome, you're right. Everything else is subject.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #338
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
Against Daniel Bard which means I doubt the Sox win this one.

I assume you were as pleasantly surprised as I was.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #339
OrangeSe7en

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
It's even easier than that. A pitcher gets credited with a save if all four of the following conditions are met:

He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck

Thanks for posting that. It's no wonder that I didn't have it memorized. It's so stupid and convoluted.

And to think the owners once went after stolen bases by implementing defensive indifference. And whats even more lame is that they did this at a time when bullpens were becoming highly specialized and the game was moving to one of less speed.

BTW, another stupid rule is how a starting pitcher can qualify for a loss. Lets say a starter pitches 5 innings and is behind 1-0. Giving up a run in 5 innings is very respectable. But then, lets say a reliever comes in, in the 6th inning and gives up 7 runs in the 6th. This would make it 8-0 after 6. At this point, the starter is on the hook for the loss unless his team comes back and scores 8 runs instead of the the 1 that the starter gave up.

The nuance to what/who qualifies for the win loss, like with the save stat, also invites abuse. It's amazing how much more forgiving it is to relievers than starters. Lets say you have a person designated to pitch the 1st inning the way someone pitches the 8th inning. But then after that first inning, you bring in the guy who's responsible for pitching 6 plus innings. The person pitching the 6+ innings is, essentially, the starter, except by not assuming the mound at the beginning of the game, he triggers rules that are much more forgiving. For example, that scenario, that I described above where the 1st inning run gives up 1 run and is behind 1-0, the 6+ inning guy can give up a lot of runs and not be on the hook for a loss. Also, by not assuming the mound at the beginning of the game, the 6+ inning guy(at least typically the case), wouldnt have to pitch 5 innings to qualify for the win.

Last edited by OrangeSe7en; 05-30-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Old 05-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #340
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

I assume you were as pleasantly surprised as I was.
I was extremely happy. With the news the Laser Show was going to DL, I was sure it was going to be ass whipping.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #341
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Seatle has 16 runs in 3 three innings vs Texas. Good luck at that hitters park Oswalt.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 AM   #342
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Thanks for posting that. It's no wonder that I didn't have it memorized. It's so stupid and convoluted.

And to think the owners once went after stolen bases by implementing defensive indifference. And whats even more lame is that they did this at a time when bullpens were becoming highly specialized and the game was moving to one of less speed.

BTW, another stupid rule is how a starting pitcher can qualify for a loss. Lets say a starter pitches 5 innings and is behind 1-0. Giving up a run in 5 innings is very respectable. But then, lets say a reliever comes in, in the 6th inning and gives up 7 runs in the 6th. This would make it 8-0 after 6. At this point, the starter is on the hook for the loss unless his team comes back and scores 8 runs instead of the the 1 that the starter gave up.

The nuance to what/who qualifies for the win loss, like with the save stat, also invites abuse. It's amazing how much more forgiving it is to relievers than starters. Lets say you have a person designated to pitch the 1st inning the way someone pitches the 8th inning. But then after that first inning, you bring in the guy who's responsible for pitching 6 plus innings. The person pitching the 6+ innings is, essentially, the starter, except by not assuming the mound at the beginning of the game, he triggers rules that are much more forgiving. For example, that scenario, that I described above where the 1st inning run gives up 1 run and is behind 1-0, the 6+ inning guy can give up a lot of runs and not be on the hook for a loss. Also, by not assuming the mound at the beginning of the game, the 6+ inning guy(at least typically the case), wouldnt have to pitch 5 innings to qualify for the win.
This....is complete ridiculous-ness.
The pitcher giving up 1 run in 5 innings gets the loss because he was the one who was trailing when he left the game. If his team never comes back to tie it, he lost the game, no matter how good or bad he pitched. I mean, you might have a point if you say his team came back and scored 6 runs in the 8th, but still trailed 7-6, and lost 7-6.
There is nothing wrong really with the wins and losses attributed to pitchers, and frankly wins and losses is kind of a dumb stat to keep record of now.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #343
eff1ngham

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post

Speaking of the 3 inning "save," check out the box score from the Ms Rangers game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxsco...-texas-rangers

Yup, 21-8 final, Iwakuma locked that bad boy down
Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #344
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
Speaking of the 3 inning "save," check out the box score from the Ms Rangers game:

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxsco...-texas-rangers

Yup, 21-8 final, Iwakuma locked that bad boy down
Well to be fair, Iwakuma faced 15 batters, so if he'd let 13 of them score, he'd have been in line for the blown save.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #345
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Johan Santana of the Mets is 1 out from pitching the 1st no hitter in team history.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #346
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Johan Santana has pitched the 1st no hitter in the 51 year history of the New York Mets.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #347
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Adam Dunn looks to be back on track this year, proving last year was a fluke.

He'll probably bat in his usual .230 to .250 range....but his power numbers should be back up to his normal 35 to 40 HRs and 100+ RBIs after ****ting the bed in 2011.

He has already gone yard 17 times this year....in 2011 he only went yard 11 times and batted .159 in 122 games.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #348
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Sox keep their streak in tact, great 8th inning with the game tied at 4!

Wow, hope they can keep up this kind of play through the majority of the season.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #349
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Adam Dunn looks to be back on track this year, proving last year was a fluke.

He'll probably bat in his usual .230 to .250 range....but his power numbers should be back up to his normal 35 to 40 HRs and 100+ RBIs after ****ting the bed in 2011.

He has already gone yard 17 times this year....in 2011 he only went yard 11 times and batted .159 in 122 games.
...and he's a better player than his batting average indicates, even. He strikes out a lot, but he's also had over 100 walks 6 times in his career. His .878 career OPS is only 3 points behind Adrian Gonzalez. Quite impressive. I've been a fan of Dunn's since he was in Cincinnati...hate, hate, HATE that he's on the White Sox.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #350
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Go Fish!
maven is offline   Reply With Quote