The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 PM   #751
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

SPOILER: ( Tywin should have been the absolute first person she had killed. Arrgh, stupid little girl )
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #752
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

JUST downloaded the kindle versoin of the first book while I was waiting for a client's car at MINI. WOW. While I love the show, so far I'm blown away by what's been written. This is going to consume my nights for a while.

Everyone seems much younger, and Jon Snow seems like quite the badass thus far!
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #753
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
JUST downloaded the kindle versoin of the first book while I was waiting for a client's car at MINI. WOW. While I love the show, so far I'm blown away by what's been written. This is going to consume my nights for a while.

Most of the young characters got an age boost, which even Martin has said he prefers story wise.

* Robb is in his early 20s instead of 15
* Dany is in her early 20s instead of 13
* Sansa is in her late teens instead of 13

Only those characters not involved in adult oriented scenes (Arya, Rickon, Bran, the younger Baratheons, etc.) were cast close to their "book" age.

It's a good change -- it's hard to realize that Dany is only 13 in the books when she's running around leading Dothraki and later SPOILER: ( conquering city states and ruling over them )
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #754
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
SPOILER: ( Tywin should have been the absolute first person she had killed. Arrgh, stupid little girl )
Damn that seven year old for not being a master assassin/strategist.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #755
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post

Just you wait my friend. When you get to SoS grab a handle of your favorite hooch and enjoy.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #756
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Most of the young characters got an age boost, which even Martin has said he prefers story wise.

Only those characters not involved in adult oriented scenes (Arya, Rickon, Bran, the younger Baratheons, etc.) were cast close to their "book" age.

It's a good change -- it's hard to realize that Dany is only 13 in the books when she's running around leading Dothraki and later SPOILER: ( conquering city states and ruling over them )
DAMMIT!!!!!! SO, for those who don't wish to unsuspectingly read a spoiler, a bit of advice. When you quote someone, they show up. Sadness.

Anywho, thanks for the info, that makes sense. I was wondering if a big time jump occurred that wasn't shown in the movies or something!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #757
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
Just you wait my friend. When you get to SoS grab a handle of your favorite hooch and enjoy.
First series in a while I can honestly say I'm VERY excited to read when I get home from work!!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #758
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

A word to the wise: it's impossible to be on the internet and not run across spoilers for Game of Thrones. They crop up in places you don't expect even - let alone in threads dedicated to the book. I have no less than 4 major spoilers and I tried hard to avoid them.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #759
Connecticut Bronco Fan
CTBF

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Dennison

Quote:

Hard to buy this one, considering she just started menstruating a few episodes ago.
Connecticut Bronco Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #760
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Damn that seven year old for not being a master assassin/strategist.
right?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myMind View Post
I'm a whole book past that one and it still SPOILER: ( irritates me, boils my blood, chaps my hide, etc, etc. everytime I think about it ) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Bronco Fan View Post
Hard to buy this one, considering she just started menstruating a few episodes ago.
Maybe she's just a late bloomer.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #761
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Lets go Broncos!

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C.J. Anderson

Quote:
I think the point of that scene was to show that Sensa was becoming a woman, not to indicate her age.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #762
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Yep, it's certainly still fuzzy, though I was speaking more to the age of the actors and the avoidance of any definitive mention of character's ages rather than anything. Our modern sensibilities couldn't accept 13-15 year olds as anything other than children despite Martin being "historically accurate" in portraying them in the books as being accepted as adults at a much earlier age.

The show makers would have trouble if they cast minors in roles like Sansa or Dany.

With Sansa, her menstruation is a key plot point -- she's now "fit" to marry -- and they decided to stick to the source on that. It's an escalation of her dire situation.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #763
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Looking forward to some action in the next episode. Some of the story lines dragging on pretty slowly IMO.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #764
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

Felt this thread could use a bump in light of this past week's incredible episode, Blackwater.

As a fan of the novels, I had been looking forward to this episode all season long. Praying that HBO would give them the needed budget to realize it and that they could stick the landing on the adaptation front. I have to say, I was not disappointed. It looks like they may have spent 1/3 of their season 2 budget on this episode alone.

Spoiler text follows:

I loved the pacing of this episode. The cuts from the frenetic action to the quiet moments were perfectly realized. Never causing you to loose momentum from the battle and allowing us to stay connected with the characters themselves. Its seems every actor and actress was bringing their A game tonight. Watching Cersei unravel in front of her ladies in waiting was a joy. Sandor Clegane in quite possibly the greatest job resignation speech of all time. Every ****ing scene with Bronn in it. Tyrion volunteering to lead the attack and not quite believing it himself.

As for the stuff, I didn't like, and these are mostly nitpicks. No chain. I know they had to scale down the battle from the books. And I know that rendering dozens of burning ships smashing themselves against the chain as they tried to escape a burning harbor probably just wasn't in the budget. So, I'm guessing in the series, Bronn's knight sigil of a burning chain will be replaced with a flaming arrow instead. I'm sorry we had to loose it, but I understand. Also, Tyrion still has his nose. I know that for the sanity of the actor and the make-up department, they were going to minimize his facial scaring. But, the scene in which Tyrion shouold have lost his nose just felt like the one mis-step in this otherwise superlative episode. It should have been a gory, ugly wound. Instead it ended up looking like a scene out of a JRPG cutscene where a main character receives strategically placed scars that magically avoid doing anything that would actually detract from his looks.

Like I said, small quibbles only. The final scene with the arrival of Tywin and Loras nailed the closing moments and running the credits to the tune of Rains of Castamere was flat out chilling. Perfect touch.

Interested to hear others thoughts.

Last edited by v2micca; 05-29-2012 at 06:41 AM..
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #765
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
Felt this thread could use a bump in light of this past week's incredible episode, Blackwater.

As a fan of the novels, I had been looking forward to this episode all season long. Praying that HBO would give them the needed budget to realize it and that they could stick the landing on the adaptation front. I have to say, I was not disappointed. It looks like they may have spent 1/3 of their season 2 budget on this episode alone.

Spoiler text follows:

I loved the pacing of this episode. The cuts from the frenetic action to the quiet moments were perfectly realized. Never causing you to loose momentum from the battle and allowing us to stay connected with the characters themselves. Its seems every actor and actress was bringing their A game tonight. Watching Cersei unravel in front of her ladies in waiting was a joy. Sandor Clegane in quite possibly the greatest job resignation speech of all time. Every ****ing scene with Bronn in it. Tyrion volunteering to lead the attack and not quite believing it himself.

As for the stuff, I didn't like, and these are mostly nitpicks. No chain. I know they had to scale down the battle from the books. And I know that rendering dozens of burning ships smashing themselves against the chain as they tried to escape a burning harbor probably just wasn't in the budget. So, I'm guessing in the series, Bronn's knight sigil of a burning chain will be replaced with a flaming arrow instead. I'm sorry we had to loose it, but I understand. Also, Tyrion still has his nose. I know that for the sanity of the actor and the make-up department, they were going to minimize his facial scaring. But, the scene in which Tyrion shouold have lost his nose just felt like the one mis-step in this otherwise superlative episode. It should have been a gory, ugly wound. Instead it ended up looking like a scene out of a JRPG cutscene where a main character receives strategically placed scars that magically avoid doing anything that would actually detract from his looks.

Like I said, small quibbles only. The final scene with the arrival of Tywin and Loras nailed the closing moments and running the credits to the tune of Rains of Castamere was flat out chilling. Perfect touch.

Interested to hear others thoughts.

Thanks for the bump! I really enjoyed the episode and appreciate your thoughts since I haven't read the books.

My post however is brief is on my own thoughts.

But, I was going to throw it out there that in my opinion at least, you need not use spoiler text for stuff that's happening in the TV show. I think/hope that it's only being used 1) to not spoil upcoming stuff/discussions about the books for people who haven't read the books and are watching the show, and 2) for people who are behind in the book plot because they've only recently started reading the books.

Of course, I'm no authority on what's right or wrong, but I figure if you're coming to the thread you've at least watched the most recent episode.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #766
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

I agree with the above as I don't enter this thread until I've caught up on the show (which I just did via DVR). Spoilers should be reserved for future spoilers from book readers. Either way, it's not a huge deal as it just involves highlighting the text.

Anyway, to the episode; it was indeed fantastic. Watching the wildfire do it's thing was awesome, but as the poster above said, losing the chain was a little depressing. The other thing a little different from the book is Clegane asking Sansa for a song before he left. SPOILER: ( I know this is referenced later when Clegane is travelling with Arya in book four I believe. )

SPOILER: ( Also, in regards to Tyrion, I too expected his nose to be chopped off and my first reaction was disappointment in that department as well. I put this part in spoiler tags because the show is leading the viewer to believe Tyrion is dead (just like the book did) when he is in fact not. If you're reading this, and you haven't read the books... well... shame on you. haha. )

Overall I was very happy with this entertaining episode especially the closing credits with the singing of the Rains of Castemere. It gave me goose flesh. haha
Old 05-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #767
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Great episode!
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #768
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Probably a stupid question, but why didn't Sansa go with Clegane?!?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #769
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I think in the show they used the premise that Stannis was the overwhelming favorite and he's an extremely fair man who would've let her go. In the books I believe she's already working on escape plans with someone else at this point.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #770
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Slightly spoilery: In the books, Sansa already has an escape plan. In the show? Not sure though the right pieces have been setup, we just haven't seen the details like in the books.

SPOILER: (
If you remember in the first episode the drunk knight that Sansa kept Joffrey from killing (getting him named the king's fool instead). In the books that fellow works to get Sansa out of King's landing. They meet several times to plot an escape (for both of them), and he eventually makes good after the Battle of the Blackwater.

Since they introduced him, I'm assuming he's worked back in for the last episode (or perhaps next season) instead of being a regular background character.
)

Also, Clegane is a psychopath and obviously suffering a mental break. If you were a young, frightened but not entirely stupid (and rapidily getting wiser) teen girl in Westeros, would you put your life in such a man's hands?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #771
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I was pleased with this episode. Easily the second best hour of television in a long while (the best being "Exodus, Pt. II from Battlestar Galactica, where they escape from new Caprica).

My only real gripe is the damn chain! But they mostly made up for it with some awesome CG wildfire =)

Also seeing Joffrey peeing his panties was hilarious. His armor is going to be terribly rusty. I have to give props to the actor for being able to pull off such a nasty character.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #772
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Also, Clegane is a psychopath and obviously suffering a mental break. If you were a young, frightened but not entirely stupid (and rapidily getting wiser) teen girl in Westeros, would you put your life in such a man's hands?
My thinking was after her comment about Joffrey returning from battle (paraphrasing, "the wost ones always do"), and Cersei's rather pointed comments about what happens to women when their towns get "sacked" (to the point that she was going to have them all killed if they lost the battle rather than suffer what was coming), her desperation would have met perfectly with the offer take her north. Not an ideal scenario for her, but better than the other options.

Last edited by TonyR; 05-29-2012 at 10:50 AM..
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #773
lolcopter

Waiting until season 3 is going to be brutal. This show is so good
Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #774
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
I was pleased with this episode. Easily the second best hour of television in a long while (the best being "Exodus, Pt. II from Battlestar Galactica, where they escape from new Caprica).

My only real gripe is the damn chain! But they mostly made up for it with some awesome CG wildfire =)

Also seeing Joffrey peeing his panties was hilarious. His armor is going to be terribly rusty. I have to give props to the actor for being able to pull off such a nasty character.
Ah, another BSG fan. Its hard to top BSG, period.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #775
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Slightly spoilery: In the books, Sansa already has an escape plan. In the show? Not sure though the right pieces have been setup, we just haven't seen the details like in the books.

SPOILER: (
If you remember in the first episode the drunk knight that Sansa kept Joffrey from killing (getting him named the king's fool instead). In the books that fellow works to get Sansa out of King's landing. They meet several times to plot an escape (for both of them), and he eventually makes good after the Battle of the Blackwater.

Since they introduced him, I'm assuming he's worked back in for the last episode (or perhaps next season) instead of being a regular background character.
)

SPOILER: ( He makes good LONG after Blackwater man. It isn't until after the Red Wedding. In fact, it's even later amid the confusion of Joffrey dying at HIS wedding to Margaery )
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote