The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
I disagree. Having Tebow as a backup means having to change the entire offense to fit your backup should Manning go down. You go from running a pass first-offense to a run-first offense where the quarterback isn't accurate enough to pass. That's a massive shift.
Yeah, because Caleb Hanie is going to step up and start running the no huddle like a pro if Manning goes down right?

No Manning = No Manning offense. We know that the Tebow Cat can be implemented in a week with positive results (we did it last year and immediately went on a win streak). No pass first offense in NFL history could ever do that, simply due to receiver timing.

Quote:
Yeah, Hanie's been terrible. I don't disagree. I just don't see that keeping Tebow was a legitimate option for the Broncos, in part because of what he is (and more importantly what he ISN'T) on the football field, in part because his fans are stark raving lunatics.
The second part (his fans) is irrelevant as it pertains to the Denver Broncos Football Club.

The first point is a strawman we've already resolved.

Quote:
Frankly, I'd be surprised if Hanie goes into the season at #2.
Replaced by who? Osweiler? That sounds like a great way to completely dick up Osweiler's development by making him use his new throwing motion too early when he still doesn't know the offense or how to read NFL level coverage.

Tebow was the ideal buffer here. The team could have shifted gears on the fly if they lost Manning and used the same strategy that got them into the playoffs last year until Manning was healthy, relying on our D. He's young enough to keep Osweiler off the field while Brock develops fully. You let Tebow play out his contract behind Manning as that buffer and then let him walk with Osweiler fully ready to step in if needed.

Instead if we lose Manning early we probably will start Osweiler before too long, and it will be to the detriment of both Osweiler himself and the long term return this team could have gotten out of him.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote