The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #276
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,519

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighJC View Post
Huh. I hadnt thought of it that way. They ARE good at something. Sucking.

Dead last in the pathetic NL west, and a thin game ahead of the cubbies for the worst in the NL. Wasnt this the team that so many pundits thought would win the World Series last year? Didnt Tracy say this was one of the best teams (the best?) he had ever seen this spring?

Errors. Walks. Wild Pitches. Sloppy, uninspired, boring baseball.

Wow. Just wow.
I don't know what Tracy is expected to do when his pitchers regularly can't even get into the 6th inning. The offense is fine, the pitching is as bad, if not worse, than what it was before the humidor.

If that bull**** team had owners that care O'Dowd and Apodaca would've been gone a long time ago and Tracy wouldve been put on notice.

Since 2000 they've had total misses on 70% of their first round picks, including the awful pick in 2006 where had the 2nd overall pick and they passed on Kershaw, Lincecum, and Longoria for Greg Reynolds. But it is what it is. Ownership refuses to hold management accountable and the best years of Cargo and Tulo are getting wasted.

Rockies aren't even worth getting pissed off about. I just wish they couldve held my interest until training camp started.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #277
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I don't know what Tracy is expected to do when his pitchers regularly can't even get into the 6th inning. The offense is fine, the pitching is as bad, if not worse, than what it was before the humidor.

If that bull**** team had owners that care O'Dowd and Apodaca would've been gone a long time ago and Tracy wouldve been put on notice.

Since 2000 they've had total misses on 70% of their first round picks, including the awful pick in 2006 where had the 2nd overall pick and they passed on Kershaw, Lincecum, and Longoria for Greg Reynolds. But it is what it is. Ownership refuses to hold management accountable and the best years of Cargo and Tulo are getting wasted.

Rockies aren't even worth getting pissed off about. I just wish they couldve held my interest until training camp started.
I don't pay a whole lot of attention to minor league baseball, but the Rockies are 3rd in the NL in scoring.

But you're right, that pitching is awful.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM   #278
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I don't know what Tracy is expected to do when his pitchers regularly can't even get into the 6th inning. The offense is fine, the pitching is as bad, if not worse, than what it was before the humidor.

If that bull**** team had owners that care O'Dowd and Apodaca would've been gone a long time ago and Tracy wouldve been put on notice.

Since 2000 they've had total misses on 70% of their first round picks, including the awful pick in 2006 where had the 2nd overall pick and they passed on Kershaw, Lincecum, and Longoria for Greg Reynolds. But it is what it is. Ownership refuses to hold management accountable and the best years of Cargo and Tulo are getting wasted.

Rockies aren't even worth getting pissed off about. I just wish they couldve held my interest until training camp started.
I think there is promise with some of the young pitching, but...yeah, its awful.
I like Nicasio, Chacin and Pomeranz going forward, that is if they get their control under, well, control. Friedrich was looking pretty studly to start out too.
The Rockies have seemed to always be terrible drafting. Not sure if its poor scouting, or poor "raising" the talent.
I mean, they have really BOMBED the draft. Its horrible.
Keep on taking pitchers, and keep on missing on those picks.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #279
milehighJC
Solid Starter
 
milehighJC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Posts: 209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I don't know what Tracy is expected to do when his pitchers regularly can't even get into the 6th inning. The offense is fine, the pitching is as bad, if not worse, than what it was before the humidor.
QFT.

One of the problems I sturggle with is that I cant see any way to improve this team in the short term. I agree... not sure what Tracy can do when the pitching is as bad as it is right now, but as the manager, he has to do better than postgame interviews repeating his mantra about having to be "patient". When he says that (and he says it often), the translation I hear "I havent a clue what to do except wait it out". Unfortunately, insanity is defined as doing the same things over and over and expecting the results to change. I dont get paid to manage an MLB club, he does, and he has to do better.

I believe this team is underperforming, especially on defense. The pitching is bad, but for crying out loud, when they are near the bottom of the league in errors (31 so far), its kinda hard to get out of an inning even when the pitcher DOES induce a ground ball. Tulo with 7 errors is mind bending to me.

I think the real root cause of the problem lies higher in the management chain than Tracy, but Tracy should be able to do better than dead last in the West even with the team he has.

my $.02...

jc
milehighJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #280
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,519

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighJC View Post
QFT.

One of the problems I sturggle with is that I cant see any way to improve this team in the short term. I agree... not sure what Tracy can do when the pitching is as bad as it is right now, but as the manager, he has to do better than postgame interviews repeating his mantra about having to be "patient". When he says that (and he says it often), the translation I hear "I havent a clue what to do except wait it out". Unfortunately, insanity is defined as doing the same things over and over and expecting the results to change. I dont get paid to manage an MLB club, he does, and he has to do better.

I believe this team is underperforming, especially on defense. The pitching is bad, but for crying out loud, when they are near the bottom of the league in errors (31 so far), its kinda hard to get out of an inning even when the pitcher DOES induce a ground ball. Tulo with 7 errors is mind bending to me.

I think the real root cause of the problem lies higher in the management chain than Tracy, but Tracy should be able to do better than dead last in the West even with the team he has.

my $.02...

jc
Don't you think its really time for Apodaca to go? Guillermo Moscoso perfect example. Last year in Oakland he has 21 starts and posts a 3.38 ERA. Come to Colorado, can't get anyone out, posts an 11.57 ERA. WTF??

Tonight, here we go again, 4 runs in the first, you'd think they could win with that kind of start. Hell no, not these Rockies. Training Camp needs to move its ass and get here. I'm bored.
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #281
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,136
Default

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?hpt=hp_t3

Prep star Byron Buxton the most talented, intriguing draft prospect
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #282
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,226
Default

Lance Berkman is very likely finnished. A near HOF career.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #283
eff1ngham
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Don't you think its really time for Apodaca to go?
For as much respect as I had for him for what he did earlier, I think it's time for him to go. Dead last in ERA, only 15 quality starts, most ER, worst average against, most wild pitches, etc. Granted our staff as a whole sucks, but even the promising guys like Brothers, Pomeranz, etc have struggled lately. I just don't think he's getting the job done. And I don't trust that our pitching coaches in general can help develop guys like Metzak, Chatwood, White, Friedrich into legit starters.

Another big problem IMO is that Cuddyer, Scutero and Hernandez have been lackluster so far. I'm glad Hernandez is here to help Rosario, but those three were not only brought in to help on offense (and our offense is pretty decent so far in counting stats) but to provide a veteran presence. I don't have the stats, but it seems like our batting average with runners in scoring position is terrible, and we are near the bottom in terms of getting runners in scoring position. Yeah we're not striking out, but I don't see that many "professional" at bats where we're moving runners, not getting empty at bats, etc.

It's been a disappointing year for the Rockies, can't wait for football to get here so I have something to look forward to....
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #284
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,519

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

Kiszla actually wrote a good column for once. Nails the Monforts here.

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...accountability
spdirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #285
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
For as much respect as I had for him for what he did earlier, I think it's time for him to go. Dead last in ERA, only 15 quality starts, most ER, worst average against, most wild pitches, etc. Granted our staff as a whole sucks, but even the promising guys like Brothers, Pomeranz, etc have struggled lately. I just don't think he's getting the job done. And I don't trust that our pitching coaches in general can help develop guys like Metzak, Chatwood, White, Friedrich into legit starters.

Another big problem IMO is that Cuddyer, Scutero and Hernandez have been lackluster so far. I'm glad Hernandez is here to help Rosario, but those three were not only brought in to help on offense (and our offense is pretty decent so far in counting stats) but to provide a veteran presence. I don't have the stats, but it seems like our batting average with runners in scoring position is terrible, and we are near the bottom in terms of getting runners in scoring position. Yeah we're not striking out, but I don't see that many "professional" at bats where we're moving runners, not getting empty at bats, etc.

It's been a disappointing year for the Rockies, can't wait for football to get here so I have something to look forward to....
While Cuddyer probably was paid a little too much, I do like the signing of him and think he is a solid addition to the lineup.
Hernandez was an option until Rosario was ready to take over. Scutaro is just depth really who happens to be starting now.
The team is just so weird offensively. They produce decent outings, but have bouts of barely scoring, and then score 13 in a game to make the overall stats look good.

What this team needs is a good leadoff man who gets on base, and can steal bases. I thought Fowler would be that guy, but he is horrible at it.
The pitching is just dreadful, but spending money on a pitcher is a tough call for the Rockies to be honest. Don't waste the money on heavy offspeed pitchers or guys who have trouble with control.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #286
eff1ngham
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I like the signing of all three, I've just been disappointed in the production (and not just stats). Last night was a great example of the team not getting good "professional" at bats. 8th and 9th they had a guy on second and couldn't move them over and get the run home. It's like no one wants to play small ball to get a run home. Sure it's nice to see Tulo and Cargo hit bombs, but we need to know how to get guys in other ways. Some of that is Tracy's fault, and some of it is the veteran guys who need to take charge and do the little things right. And I believe there are guys that want to do that, they don't seem the team from a few years ago that just gave up. I believe they want to win, I think they just need some more motivation
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #287
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,226
Default

I wonder if the Cardinals would trade Kolton Wong and his little brother to the Mets for David Wright?
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #288
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,650

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
I wonder if the Cardinals would trade Kolton Wong and his little brother to the Mets for David Wright?
I'm hoping the Dodgers get Wright some how.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #289
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,486
Default

I think a team would be wise to back away from Wright and not overpay for him. Guy has been on a decline when he should be peaking. The start to this year IMO is an outlier.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #290
eff1ngham
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

David Wright is probably my favorite non-Rocky, so I may be a little bias. But I think it would do him a world of good to get out of NY. I don't think he's on the decline, but the lineup around him has drastically changed. When he was tearing it up he had Reyes, Beltran and Delgado hitting around him. In his down years Reyes was hurt, and he didn't have protection behind him so he got less pitches to hit (as a result he lit more line drives and singles as opposed to homers). I think he's still in the same boat now, hence the higher average and doubles and less homers. I he went somewhere with a good leadoff man and a power cleanup or #5 hitter I think he could get back to at least his 2010 numbers, with possibly a higher average
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #291
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,226
Default

I was going for two Wongs don't make a Wight. I mean Wright.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #292
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff1ngham View Post
David Wright is probably my favorite non-Rocky, so I may be a little bias. But I think it would do him a world of good to get out of NY. I don't think he's on the decline, but the lineup around him has drastically changed. When he was tearing it up he had Reyes, Beltran and Delgado hitting around him. In his down years Reyes was hurt, and he didn't have protection behind him so he got less pitches to hit (as a result he lit more line drives and singles as opposed to homers). I think he's still in the same boat now, hence the higher average and doubles and less homers. I he went somewhere with a good leadoff man and a power cleanup or #5 hitter I think he could get back to at least his 2010 numbers, with possibly a higher average
2008, he posted a .302 average, played 160 games, 115 runs, 33 homeruns, 124 RBI's, .390 OBP, .534 slug%, OPS .924

2009, he played in 144 games, 88 runs, 10 homeruns, 72 RBI's, .307 avg, .390 OBP, .447 slug%, OPS .837

2010, played in 157 games, 87 runs, 29 homeruns, 103 RBI's, .283 avg, .354 OBP, .503 slug%, .856 OPS

2011, played in 102 games, 60 runs, 14 homeruns, 61 RBI's, .254 avg, .345 OBP, .427 SLUG%, .771 OPS

My saying on someone overpaying is someone will give him a $20 mil per year contract, and he will completely fail on that contract.
He's a solid player, IF healthy, but too many questions and inconsistencies to give a phat contract to.
Now, say $12 mil a year, and he produces numbers somewhere between 2009/2010 years, then maybe.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #293
eff1ngham
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
2
My saying on someone overpaying is someone will give him a $20 mil per year contract, and he will completely fail on that contract.
Gotcha. That I agree with
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #294
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,136
Default

Justin Verlander has pitched at least six innings in 52 straight starts. It's the longest streak in the majors since Steve Carlton did it for 69 consecutive starts from Sept. 13, 1979 to April 13, 1982.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #295
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Dude I'm just about fed up with Leyland. He better get these guys where they should be, in first place by 5 games, and soon or he may be getting the axe.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #296
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,136
Default

They need to start clicking in the very near future.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #297
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Justin Verlander...
I have to give you credit for finding something of a silver lining in this loss. You're clearly a glass half full guy!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #298
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I have to give you credit for finding something of a silver lining in this loss. You're clearly a glass half full guy!
It's not JV's fault this team can't score any runs....he's picked up right where he left off last year.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #299
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
It's not JV's fault...
Oh no doubt. Offense was a no-show. Particularly tough loss since Cleveland is the team you can't afford to lose to, and Detroit really needs to win when JV pitches.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #300
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,532

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Even though he is no longer on our team, I am still very happy to see Mark Buehrle doing well.
__________________


Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Denver Broncos