The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #101
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD more rings than Elway View Post
Queefs defense struggled against top offenses (DET-48, NE-34) and mediocre offenses like MIA (31) and NYJ (37).

Queefs also gave up 41 to Buffalo and 28 to a Curtis Painter-led Colts team
KC struggled in the first half, then came on in the 2nd half. I like how you left GB out of there.

KC had the 3rd best defense in the league in the 2nd half of the season....without Eric Berry.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #102
McD more rings than Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
KC struggled in the first half, then came on in the 2nd half. I like how you left GB out of there.

KC had the 3rd best defense in the league in the 2nd half of the season....without Eric Berry.
All the good the Queefs did in the second half was wiped out by giving up 37 points to Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets in week 14.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #103
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
All the good the Queefs did in the second half was wiped out by giving up 37 points to Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets in week 14.
Haha one game huh? Then what about GB? How about we judge one game solely on that one as well?
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #104
Arkie
Ring of Famer

The f--- y'all motherf-ckas want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Not Really. You only need to have either your offense or defense in the top ten. Both is unnecessary and (and frankly unrealistic). The other can unit can be as low as in the bottom third of the league and you can still win the whole shabang, including three of the last four champions.

Going back the last 13 years,

Year Team OFF DEF(points)

99 Ravens 14 - 1
00 Rams 1 - 4
01 Patriots 6 - 6
02 Buccaneers 18 - 1
03 Patriots 12 - 1
04 Patriots 4 - 2
05 Steelers 9 - 3
06 Colts 2 - 23
07 Giants 14 - 17
08 Steelers 20 - 1
09 Saints 1 - 20
10 Packers 10 - 2
11 Giants 9 - 25
You basically need a top 5 defense unless you have a Manning or Brees. It's interesting to see that the Giants are the only team to win it without a top 10 offense or defense. Then they barely had a top 10 offense when they won it again.
Arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #105
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Haha one game huh? Then what about GB? How about we judge one game solely on that one as well?
What possible leverage could you have to go to a rival forum and try to convince their posters... what exactly about the chiefs?

Do You guys have a good roster.. Yup. Who's your QB? I think anyone getting in a debate with you will be wasting their time, you like the chiefs, but this is a Bronco forum guy. Worry about who's going to magically make the offense click. If you think KC is stopping Manning from scoring you are a moron. KC can't match Peyton TD to TD PERIOD!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #106
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The linebacking would stink.

dj-not good enough at shedding blocks or playing in traffic to play inside. Miller stinks at pass coverage. Doom stinks at coverage. Mays same as DJ, just not that physical or big. Inside backers in a 3-4 often take on guards. at DJ taking on guards. He can barely make it at weakside in a 4-3. The DE would work and that is about it. Horrible idea. Switching back to 4-3 the best move they could have made.
Thanks for putting my thoughts down have not spent much time on here but You nailed it..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #107
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The linebacking would stink.

dj-not good enough at shedding blocks or playing in traffic to play inside. Miller stinks at pass coverage. Doom stinks at coverage. Mays same as DJ, just not that physical or big. Inside backers in a 3-4 often take on guards. at DJ taking on guards. He can barely make it at weakside in a 4-3. The DE would work and that is about it. Horrible idea. Switching back to 4-3 the best move they could have made.
The LB would not stink as bad as you make it sound. Miller is best suit for 3-4 OLB either side. He's more than competent enough to keep playing strong side and work on his coverage. Doom coming off the edge in the weak side. Thats a strength! Mays is better suited for 3-4 ILB and Irving will finally be on the field.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #108
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
The LB would not stink as bad as you make it sound. Miller is best suit for 3-4 OLB either side. He's more than competent enough to keep playing strong side and work on his coverage. Doom coming off the edge in the weak side. Thats a strength! Mays is better suited for 3-4 ILB and Irving will finally be on the field.
Miller is nothing but a hand in the dirt rushing LB or DE..

As far as his pass coverage ahahahahahahahaha.. Doom is a pass rushing DE and not good enough to play OLB as proved several years ago..

Plus for the most part you need MASSIVE NT that hold his ground and requires at least a double team..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #109
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
You basically need a top 5 defense unless you have a Manning or Brees. It's interesting to see that the Giants are the only team to win it without a top 10 offense or defense. Then they barely had a top 10 offense when they won it again.
Ok..well, we solved that problem...we've got a Manning.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #110
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
It's interesting to see that the Giants are the only team to win it without a top 10 offense or defense. Then they barely had a top 10 offense when they won it again.
Regular season statistics aren't that important once you're in the playoffs.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #111
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking.

Price, Porter upgrades Goodman substantially, and it's not even close..
I'll believe it when I see it. Porter had a 70% completion rate against him last year, and has never played a 16 game season. Goodman gave up 9 TD's deep...but the Safety play was terrible. I hope Porter is a lot better than Goodman...but I have my reservations.

Quote:
Mike Adams is a good all around Free Safety. One of the unknowns in the NFL, who quietly does his job well. While he's not the leader or hitter Dawkins is, he is good at tackling and good in coverage. I dare say he may be better as a ball hawk than Dawkins.
I'm sure Adams is better in coverage than Dawkins, that's why he plays FS. However, he has only started all 16 games one year (last year) in his 8 year career, and the Browns let him go without offering him a contract. We signed him for cheap. I think he's solid, and the Browns did finish with the #2 pass Defense last year...I hope he eliminates all the long bombs...but we'll see.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #112
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Miller is nothing but a hand in the dirt rushing LB or DE..

As far as his pass coverage ahahahahahahahaha.. Doom is a pass rushing DE and not good enough to play OLB as proved several years ago..

Plus for the most part you need MASSIVE NT that hold his ground and requires at least a double team..
Disagree on the evaluation of both Miller and Doom. Miller is more of a liability in coverage than Harrison or Woodley? Than Suggs or Jarret Johnson? 3-4 OLBs if they drop, are typically responsible for the flats and zone/man against a TE or RB. If your gonna Blitz Miller as u say he's a pass rusher only, then Denver is still committing 5 to Blitz. I just don't see how it's any different, at least in the 3-4 we utilize what Doom and Millers strengths are in the base scheme. Miller currently as the Sam in a 4-3 should have more coverage responsibilities than the 3-4.

I have said Denver would need a 3-4 NT, but they need a real 4-3 NT now anyway. Mays is best suited as a run defender in a 3-4 with Irving or Franklin with him inside. Trevathan and Woodyard could be in sub packages. I think the options are there. But I know they aren't going to do it but let's not act like they couldn't.

Bottom line is they aren't switching to a 3-4, they are staying 4-3, but I think they will throw some odd man 3-4 looks from time to time not just the 5 man front of the 4-3 Over/Under. I like the 4-3 but I would like the idea of being deceiving and throwing exotic looks. The 4-3 works for me, but the 3-4 could work.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #113
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Porter had a 70% completion rate against him last year, and has never played a 16 game season. Goodman gave up 9 TD's deep...but the Safety play was terrible. I hope Porter is a lot better than Goodman...but I have my reservations.
How many of those games were the Saints dominating? I'd like to see that stat with a "While ahead by 14+ in the second half %"
Doggcow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #114
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Doom is a pass rushing DE and not good enough to play OLB as proved several years ago..
Oh, you mean the year he had his best season as a pro? Do you understand what an OLB is asked to do in a 3-4?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #115
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
You can't put that all on Tebow anymore than you can give him all the credit for them going from 1-4 to the playoffs. Half the time they would run on third and long, and most of the other half of the time Tebow only got to throw once, also on third down. People around here act like Tebow threw two or three times on most of those three and outs, when the truth is he often threw once or not at all.
So Tebow gets all the credit for turning around a 1-4 team but he gets no blame for finishing 1-4 and backing into the playoffs?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #116
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
So Tebow gets all the credit for turning around a 1-4 team but he gets no blame for finishing 1-4 and backing into the playoffs?
Right. That's on Peyton Manning and Pat Bowlen.

Last edited by bowtown; 05-20-2012 at 09:38 PM..
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #117
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
How many of those games were the Saints dominating? I'd like to see that stat with a "While ahead by 14+ in the second half %"
He won't respond to this point. Porter gave up just two TDs last year which was much better the Goodman.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM   #118
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
JDR has his work cut out for him. With Dawkins gone and DJ Williams missing the first handful of games, it'll be tough.

Broncos struggled against top offenses. Detroit, NE 2X and GB went off on you guys.
Which defenses don't struggle against those offenses? Dawkins won't be missed much and DJ is average nothing special.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #119
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
tebow is the second coming of jesus christ,didn't you know. you can't say anything that may a negative,even if it's an honest observation,about tebow.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #120
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
tebow is the second coming of jesus christ,didn't you know. you can't say anything that may a negative,even if it's an honest observation,about tebow.
I knew he was very competitive, didn't know he was the 2nd coming of Jesus Christ though. My apologies to anyone I have offended.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #121
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Queefs defense struggled against top offenses (DET-48, NE-34) and mediocre offenses like MIA (31) and NYJ (37).

Queefs also gave up 41 to Buffalo and 28 to a Curtis Painter-led Colts team
This "McD more rings than Elway" guy is really growing on me...
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #122
Steve Sewell
Oh Tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Patrick and Ty's pimp

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Reggie Rivers

Quote:
Knowledgeable football fan/rational human being are not the first descriptions that come to mind when you think about Agamemnon.
Steve Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:22 AM   #123
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I don't know the answer to that, but the other Saints didn't have a problem...

Jabari Greer (LCB) had a 55% completion rate, and was the most targeted CB in the NFL.

Patrick Robinson (RCB) had a 59.3 opposing QB rating (#7th best in NFL).

Clearly, Porter's issues were not systematic. I would love for Porter to perform better than Goodman, but like I said, I think Goodman's issues were mostly due to terrible Safety play.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #124
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Did someone pick Goodman up?
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #125
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Quote:
oh no.. you didn't !! Yesh.. I thought that was the way it worked when talking about TT.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote