The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay
Default Broncos, Ryan Clady begin to address contract extension

Quote:
The Broncos have opened contract-extension talks with Ryan Clady, according to several NFL sources.The left tackle is in the final year of his deal that will pay him $3.5 million in 2012. The franchise tag for left tackles this season was $9.4 million. New Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is almost the anti-Tebow in that the former Indianapolis Colt is one of the NFL's least-sacked passers even though he is also one of the least mobile. Tebow took 33 sacks last year even though he only started 11 games. Manning was sacked 16 times in 16 games in his previous playing season of 2010 and just 10 in 16 games in 2009.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...ract-extension

Last edited by Bronco Rob; 05-19-2012 at 05:16 PM..
Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

I'd tread carefully on this if I were the Broncos. PFT had a post about Clady today and his decline statistically, it wasn't pretty. I think he needs to really prove himself this year before he gets seriously paid. He isn't the same and needs to get alot better.

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I'd tread carefully on this if I were the Broncos. PFT had a post about Clady today and his decline statistically, it wasn't pretty. I think he needs to really prove himself this year before he gets seriously paid. He isn't the same and needs to get alot better.
Yep I've never been a huge fan of his..

came out of college that played ZBS and although he had great feet, he also had a very mobile QB to help him out..

Then he was injured and frankly I think those great feet are not so great anymore..

I also think that DE's and DC have a book on him and might not be as good as some think..

They have had a TE next to him since year one helping out.. IMO it is time to draft his replacement..

If they do sign him I hope they place some major incentives in it and have an escape clause.

I'm not convinced he will ever be the OLT that he was in his rookie year..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
R-Mac

I think Clady's quarterback needs to get better, or get rid of the ball faster. Clady will probably look really good with Manning reading the defense. Jay Cutler and Shanahan's scheme helped Clady a lot in 2008.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
I'm going to disagree with you somewhat here. In principle, I agree he isn't who he appeared to be. I do think a lot of his issues have to deal with playing with two of the easiest to sack QB's in the league (for ironically completely opposite reasons) the past two years, as well as going from Ben Hamilton to "just some guys" at RG. I think Cutler made the line look better than they were as he rarely took sacks (for both good and bad reasons.)

My point is, Clady is no longer considered "the best" LT in the league, but I do think he is still top ten, and with better interior players, and a QB that knows what he's doing behind center, I think Clady is worth an extension.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Stuck in Cali

Last year was probably pretty hard on him, cause the QB would get happy feet before the play developed. He has been a solid LT for us and I bet he will get even better. Don't think he wants Manning chewing his ass out.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I'm going to disagree with you somewhat here. In principle, I agree he isn't who he appeared to be. I do think a lot of his issues have to deal with playing with two of the easiest to sack QB's in the league (for ironically completely opposite reasons) the past two years, as well as going from Ben Hamilton to "just some guys" at RG. I think Cutler made the line look better than they were as he rarely took sacks (for both good and bad reasons.)

My point is, Clady is no longer considered "the best" LT in the league, but I do think he is still top ten, and with better interior players, and a QB that knows what he's doing behind center, I think Clady is worth an extension.
Good post..

Yep cutlet helped him alot with his feet and then again throwing picks or fumbles..

I'm not so worried about Manning getting sacked as I am him getting hit..

and then there is what happens in two years when his quick read and release are retired..

Again I will say hope they get incentives built in so we are not gassed on a huge salary.. UNLESS he earns it..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Lock 'em up.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
I think Clady's decline can be attributed to recovery from the knee injury two years ago and partly last year as well. But also because of Tim's style of play. Tim running all over and his linemen never knowing if he had tucked and run or thrown a pass at the feet, into the stands or 5 yards off the mark led to a lot of holding calls and poor play for the line, Clady especially
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I think Clady's decline can be attributed to recovery from the knee injury two years ago and partly last year as well. But also because of Tim's style of play. Tim running all over and his linemen never knowing if he had tucked and run or thrown a pass at the feet, into the stands or 5 yards off the mark led to a lot of holding calls and poor play for the line, Clady especially
Tim's lack of pocket awareness and having Pocket Sloth Orton certainly didn't help him. 9 sacks allowed last year and 13.5 combined the two years (BT -- Before Timothy). I really do not think it is a problem, nor is he as bad as the PFT article was trying to attribute him. This is simply a position we cannot afford to re-draft and invest high on.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Clady is coming off a few relatively mediocre seasons. If the Broncos think he's fully recovered from his knee reconstruction and they think he's a top 10 blue chip LT, nows the time to sign him to a long term contract because quite frankly, his value is way down.

If he has a great year with Manning, then the Broncos will have to pay him way more money because Manning made Clady look better.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Clady is definitely worth an extension, at the very least he is a very servicable starter quality LT, who is strong in the run game and can keep a pocket passer pretty upright.

He clearly has upside to be more than that, and given his age and injury history (only one major injury) I think he is a no brainer to get resigned.

I have not been a big fan of the Eagles M.O. when it comes to resigning promising young players to long deals with relatively little in terms of guaranteed money because you tend to end up with disgruntled players. I do think however that with Clady we are in a situation now that we can sign him at a reasonable deal, he is not going to get Joe Thomas like money. If we can get him at around the value of Donald Penn that would be a solid signing - if we let him get near free agency not only do we risk him having a great year with Manning (which is not impossible) we also risk alienating him with the franchise tag - I think we are better off as a team to get negotiations rolling and then try to sign him early in the season to a 5 year deal.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

He's also deadly on the tackle bubble screen.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

If a QB has time to do an epic 360 spin the line is doing its job. The worst QB in the NFL can get the ball out of his hand in the time it takes a human to spin.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #15
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Big co-sign on this. Clady hasn't been an "elite" left tackle since the injury. Part of it isn't his fault, in that he was blocking for fetal position Kyle and a very raw Tim Tebow who at times held the ball way too long.

He's very good, but I'd wait to see what happens this year before you give him elite top 3 paid at his position type coin, which I'm assuming he'll want.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Big co-sign on this. Clady hasn't been an "elite" left tackle since the injury. Part of it isn't his fault, in that he was blocking for fetal position Kyle and a very raw Tim Tebow who at times held the ball way too long.

He's very good, but I'd wait to see what happens this year before you give him elite top 3 paid at his position type coin, which I'm assuming he'll want.
he's had one great year and that was his rookie year. He's not elite. If the Broncos sign him now it shouldn't be for 'elite' money. More like "pretty ok, sometimes" money.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
he's had one great year and that was his rookie year. He's not elite. If the Broncos sign him now it shouldn't be for 'elite' money. More like "pretty ok, sometimes" money.
That's my entire point. Extend him now if the contract terms are reasonable. However, if he's demanding top 5 LT in the league type money as part of his extension, he hasn't proven he's worthy of that type of coin. If this year under Manning he has a similar season to his rookie year, than you break the bank.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Keep in mind he switched positions the moment Tebow came into the game. Sign him up long term he's worth it.
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Clady is a very good LT. he's not what we expected after his rookie year but he's still a top tier LT in this league.
he and Kuper are the keys to our OL and it's success. we need to extend him and continue to improve the OL.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 PM   #20
Rolandftw

I'm curious how many sacks that have been credited to Clady, that have been his fault and how many were the case of Tebow holding onto the ball so long/Orton being very incapable of extending plays
Old 05-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #21
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod-BR View Post
I think Clady's quarterback needs to get better, or get rid of the ball faster. Clady will probably look really good with Manning reading the defense. Jay Cutler and Shanahan's scheme helped Clady a lot in 2008.
I agree with this. Orton had terrible pocket awareness as did Tebow. Watch Clady make the Probowl this year now that he has a QB that is going to get rid of the ball on time everytime.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #22
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Clady is a very good LT. he's not what we expected after his rookie year but he's still a top tier LT in this league.
he and Kuper are the keys to our OL and it's success. we need to extend him and continue to improve the OL.
I also agree with this. If Denver wants to build a top OL they have to sign Clady so they can solidify the LT position and then address Guard or Center if they feel they must. I think Franklin will be OK. Beadles is still a work in progress.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Should have never cut his hair. Or played basketball.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #24
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Yep I've never been a huge fan of his..

came out of college that played ZBS and although he had great feet, he also had a very mobile QB to help him out..

Then he was injured and frankly I think those great feet are not so great anymore..

I also think that DE's and DC have a book on him and might not be as good as some think..

They have had a TE next to him since year one helping out.. IMO it is time to draft his replacement..

If they do sign him I hope they place some major incentives in it and have an escape clause.

I'm not convinced he will ever be the OLT that he was in his rookie year..
What?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #25
CEH
Ring of Famer

It's like the "lets draft a QB in round 4" because we need to find PFM replacement. Let's move on from Clady and draft his replacement

We need to upgrade Beadles so let's draft a Oline in round 2 because he will be better when Beadles was drafted in round two. Odd thinking if you ask me.

When you want to build a team all things equal you get the QB then LT.
LTs don't grow on trees. I'm sure they will come to an agreement that both sides can find beneficial

You have to be careful judging Clady on '11 when they were ask to switch up mid stream and none of the Olinemen knew where Tebow was and he held onto the ball way too long.

A 3 step drop has to be a 3 step drop in the NFL and then the QB needs to get the ball out to the right WR.

Ask Kupes dad if Olinemen are asked to block all day on any play. No they are asked to do their job and the QB is asked to do his.

Last edited by CEH; 05-20-2012 at 06:38 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote