The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

I dont care about having a top 10 defense. I want turnovers and stops on 3rd down. Especially turnovers, considering who our QB is.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #27
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I dont care about having a top 10 defense. I want turnovers and stops on 3rd down. Especially turnovers, considering who our QB is.

I want a defense that pushes Phyllis Rivers **** in - really hard. I hate that douchetard.

If we only get 20 sacks and 5 turnovers all season I hope they all come agains the piss chuggers.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #28
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I want a defense that pushes Phyllis Rivers **** in - really hard. I hate that douchetard.

If we only get 20 sacks and 5 turnovers all season I hope they all come agains the piss chuggers.
Wow! Did you get the same computer virus that Old Dude did last week.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #29
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

I want a D that can stop the run, create turnovers and get off the field on 3rd down! Tired of watching DMC run up and down the field on us...or any team with a decent rushing attack. Big plays from Goodman or safeties being out of position can go to..we know one is gone, can we count on our safeties??
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #30
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I think getting Del Rio was the second best thing to happen this off season by a large margin.
This^
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #31
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

it's gonna be tough to be top 10. Wolfe will have to be a near all pro,Warren as well and Moore has to be the starter as well as exceptionally good.
even then MLB still scares me.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #32
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Not Really. You only need to have either your offense or defense in the top ten. Both is unnecessary and (and frankly unrealistic). The other can unit can be as low as in the bottom third of the league and you can still win the whole shabang, including three of the last four champions.

Going back the last 13 years,

Year Team OFF DEF(points)

99 Ravens 14 - 1
00 Rams 1 - 4
01 Patriots 6 - 6
02 Buccaneers 18 - 1
03 Patriots 12 - 1
04 Patriots 4 - 2
05 Steelers 9 - 3
06 Colts 2 - 23
07 Giants 14 - 17
08 Steelers 20 - 1
09 Saints 1 - 20
10 Packers 10 - 2
11 Giants 9 - 25
Good research but IMO they go hand it hand. a great O begets a much better D and vice versa..

Give me two top fifteens and I suspect that we will be in the hunt..

two top tens and really good things happen..

It has been almost forever that we have had a DC that knew his ass from his hat..

I do not remember that last one, maybe the leader of the orange crush?

That is going back a long time..

Lets hope that JDR is around for a few years..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #33
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
it's gonna be tough to be top 10. Wolfe will have to be a near all pro,Warren as well and Moore has to be the starter as well as exceptionally good. even then MLB still scares me.
Lots of folks in the know like our MLB

AS for Wolfe he just needs to be consistent and everyone around him gets better..
When he comes off for a breather his replacement has to do the same..

Manning should make the D better by giving them longer bench time and forcing the other team to score more.. Playing from behind tends to make for loads of turnovers, sacks..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #34
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Not Really. You only need to have either your offense or defense in the top ten. Both is unnecessary and (and frankly unrealistic). The other can unit can be as low as in the bottom third of the league and you can still win the whole shabang, including three of the last four champions.

Going back the last 13 years,

Year Team OFF DEF(points)

99 Ravens 14 - 1
00 Rams 1 - 4
01 Patriots 6 - 6
02 Buccaneers 18 - 1
03 Patriots 12 - 1
04 Patriots 4 - 2
05 Steelers 9 - 3
06 Colts 2 - 23
07 Giants 14 - 17
08 Steelers 20 - 1
09 Saints 1 - 20
10 Packers 10 - 2
11 Giants 9 - 25
The problem is that I don't really see us having a top ten offense this year either. That's why I'm saying we need a top 10 defense to win a Super Bowl with Manning.

This applies strictly to his first year as a Bronco and all the transitional issues I expect to come along with it. Assuming Manning ultimately returns to his previous form (something I'll believe when I see it), I would think the offense will be much better offensively in his second year and beyond.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #35
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

AS for Wolfe he just needs to be consistent and everyone around him gets better..

Manning should make the D better by giving them longer bench time and forcing the other team to score more.. Playing from behind tends to make for loads of turnovers, sacks..
Who exactly in the "know" likes Joe Mays as a starting MLB in the NFL? I'd like some actual references and links please.

Oh and Manning's no huddle offense isn't exactly known for giving defenses long breathers. Not sure where you got that.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #36
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Of course you don't see anything positive about the Broncos.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #37
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post

folks in the know liked Orton as the starter to give us the best chance to win,Goodman as the starter opposite Champ,our DT situation.

just because a coach doesn't have a major issue with it doesn't mean it's not a key concern. any coach worth his salt is gonna use what he has to the best of his abilities, he's never going to say we need better players at X or Y position.

we need better LB corp help at MLB. it's not a question, you can look at the film since Wilson got hurt and see that it's been a huge hole and a exploited one by opposing offenses. they've fixed CB, working on S but MLB and DT are still holes on the D and while i love this coaching staff and think Elway is doing a great job. but that is the next key thing that needs to be fixed.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 AM   #38
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Anyone else hear Warren Sapp talk about his arrogance on the top 100 player reactions this past Wednesday? When the show was doing his ranking, they were talking about how many +20 yd passes he threw. We all know who was on the receiving end of all those highlight passes.... Not too worried about Phyllis and his deep game this time around.....
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #39
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4Life View Post
When the show was doing his ranking, they were talking about how many +20 yd passes he threw. We all know who was on the receiving end of all those highlight passes.... Not too worried about Phyllis and his deep game this time around.....
Less than a third of Rivers' completions over 20 yards were to Jackson. He had 69 total, with Jackson catching 21, followed by Floyd with 16, Brown with nine and Gates with eight.

His deep ball isn't some product of a receiver, and if anything Jackson was the one benefiting in that relationship.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #40
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think this defense can be a top 10 but so much depends on how fast this offense can gel. If the offense can stay on the field for sustained drives and keep the defense rested, that will certainly help them.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #41
Broncos4Life
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Less than a third of Rivers' completions over 20 yards were to Jackson. He had 69 total, with Jackson catching 21, followed by Floyd with 16, Brown with nine and Gates with eight.

His deep ball isn't some product of a receiver, and if anything Jackson was the one benefiting in that relationship.
Wow Shanny! Look, I watch football. A lot of it. I know Rivers spreads the ball around. Never once did I say his deep ball was a product of Jackson. We all know that good qbs make average WRs better. See Manning....VJ is no scrub WR though. And like I said, he was making most of the highlight catches. Any WR would benefit from a good QB throwing them the ball. Thanks for pointing out the obvious though...
Broncos4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Teams with good offenses can use a more aggressive style defense and take chances knowing or feeling their offense can get the points back if they give up a big play here and there. We'll see if the Broncos plan to do that or not, at least at times.

The Bronco defense over the last few years it seems has not been good at causing turnovers, pass rush has been spotty, giving up huge runs, and the inability to cover TE's or RB's in the passing game. Getting off the field on 3rd downs is another area of improvement, though as bad as some defenses the Broncos have had in recent years, teams didn't seem to get into many 3rd down situations since could get such large chunks of yards on 1st and 2nd down.

If the Broncos want to be a serious Super Bowl contender, then a top 10 defense is needed and really, has to happen. Manning is 36, coming off not playing a season and having multiple surgeries on his neck. Elway at 36 needed a complete team to win a Super Bowl. I would expect the same for Manning.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #43
Punisher
® Punisher Vs Judge Dredd

Who ya Got? ®

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7

That's what i'm talking about! Lets go Defense
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #44
Stuck in Cali

Del Rio, will get the most out of the players we have. He has a knack for it. Now that he can just focus on defense(not worrying about running a team). I expect good things for us this year, even making some players play better than they ever did before.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #45
Ironlung
Terminator

Snake Bitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Oh and Manning's no huddle offense isn't exactly known for giving defenses long breathers. Not sure where you got that.
Yep. Should be exactly like Tebow's 8-10 3 and outs per game, right?
Ironlung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #46
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
it'll be as fast as that,except with touchdowns at the end.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #47
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlung View Post
Never happened.

If you can even find one game where he had that many 3 and outs, I'll give you a shiny nickel. Go on! Go look, boy!

Fun Fact: Well over 50% of Denver's 3 and outs this season came in the second half and when the team was already down.

Man that defense was good.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #48
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Never happened.

If you can even find one game where he had that many 3 and outs, I'll give you a shiny nickel. Go on! Go look, boy!

Fun Fact: Well over 50% of Denver's 3 and outs this season came in the second half and when the team was already down.

There were 7 3 and outs in Chicago game that is probably as close as it gets but Tebow led Bronco's led league in them.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #49
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Never happened.

If you can even find one game where he had that many 3 and outs, I'll give you a shiny nickel. Go on! Go look, boy!Fun Fact: Well over 50% of Denver's 3 and outs this season came in the second half and when the team was already down.

TT had 8 3 and outs in a row against the jets finishing 3-13 on 3rd down... just saying. it only took a whopping 30 secs to a minute to find.

Last edited by peacepipe; 05-19-2012 at 10:42 AM..
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #50
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

we ranked 6th in the league last yr on 3rd down.
peacepipe is online now   Reply With Quote