The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Default The Broncos No-Huddle

I went back and watched SuperBowl XLI and XLIV, studying Manning's Offense, the formations, and the statistical production of the Colts players throughout their SuperBowl seasons. Some things became immediately clear:

1. Manning runs a no-huddle offense with NO substitutions (the RB's will rotate every other drive).
2. The Colts primarily operate out of 1 formation (only moving the TE's).
3. Manning never throws a bad ball...EVER.
4. The dude is freaking nails in the redzone.
5. When they call Manning, "one of the best ever"...that's 'cause he is.

Let me answer a couple questions that have been asked on this board:
1. "What about our crappy O-Line?"
Answer: Don't worry about it. In both 2006 and 2009, the Colts line consisted of primarily low-draft picks and UDFA's...undersized and not particularly accomplished. Even Jeff Saturday was undrafted and undersized. If J.D. Walton can get his sh*t together, we won't have to worry about anybody else. They are all quite a bit better than what the Colts had...and Manning made them look like All-Stars.

2. "Who's going to be the 3rd WR?"
Answer: Probably no one. Caldwell, Hill, Stokley, Dell, etc....yeah those guys? They probably won't even get on the field. Below, are all the significant stats for Colts Offensive players in 2006. Notice only 6 guys got the ball ALL YEAR LONG. Only the RB's rotated (every other drive).

Code:
2006 Season:
Colts 12-4, won in SuperBowl XLI                

rec.	speed	height
1  Harrison(WR)	95	4.38	6'0"
2  Wayne(WR)	86	4.45	6'0"
3  Clark*(TE)	48	4.65	6'3"
4  Utecht(TE)	37	4.8	6'6"
5  Addai(RB)	40	4.4	5'11"
6  Rhodes(RB)	36	4.52	5'09"

Manning	4,397 yards, 31 TD's (led the NFL)            
Addai	226 rushing attempts, 1,081 yards            
Rhodes	187 rushing attempts, 641 yards
Only 2 WR's (Harrison and Wayne), 2 TE's (Clark and Utecht), and 1 RB (Addai or Rhodes), we're ever on the field, all season long. The Colts generated 1,700 rushing yards, while using the 2 TE set (18th in the NFL), they didn't use a Fullback. Notice both RB's had ~ 40 catches each.

Code:
2009 Season:
Colts 14-2, lost in SuperBowl XLIV                

rec.	speed	height
1  Wayne(WR)	100	4.45	6'0"
2  Clark(TE)	100	4.65	6'3"
3  Collie(WR)	60	4.56	6'0"
4  Garcon(WR)	47	4.42	5'11"
5  Addai(RB)	51	4.4	5'11"
6  Brown(RB)	11	4.46	5'10"

Manning	4,500 yards, 33 TD's                    
Addai	219 rushing attempts, 828 yards                
Brown	78 rushing attempts,  281 yards
Only 3 WR's (Wayne, Garcon, and Collie), 1 TE (Clark), and 1 RB (Addai or Brown), were ever on the field, all season long. The Colts only generated about 1,200 yards rushing, which was worst in the NFL (500 yards less than in 2006). The did not use a Fullback, and only had 1 TE in the entire time...while generating a similar amount of passing yards, receptions and TD's to 2006. The problem with the 2006 Colts, is that they did not have a blocking TE (like in 2006), and they were not well balanced.

What does this mean? You can come to your own conclusions, but since the Broncos have Dreessen (who is better than Utecht), and want to establish a balanced pass/rush Offense, I think the Broncos will run a no-huddle Offense very similar to the Colts 2006. The 6 primary players are shown below:

Code:
2012 Season:
Broncos

rec.	speed	height
1  Thomas(WR)	80	4.45	6'3"
2  Decker(WR)	80	4.54	6'3"
3  Tamme(TE)	80	4.58	6'3"
4  Dreessen(TE)	30	4.72	6'4"
5  Hillman(RB)	40	4.45	5'9"
6  McGahee(RB)	40	4.45	6'0"

Manning	4,400 yards, 31 TD's                    
McGahee	225 rushing attempts, 1,125 yards                
Hillman	150 rushing attempts, 750 yards
The 2012 Broncos have personnel very similar to the 2006 Colts (and 2011/2012 Patriots). We have 6 Offensive weapons who are touchdown scoring machines. I put in some very obtainable passing, receiving, and rushing goals for the Offense. I believe the primary formation will have:

1. DT split-wide to the left
2. Tamme lined up in the slot (on either side)
3. Dreessen lined up covering the OT (on either side)
4. A single RB (either McGahee or Hillman)
5. Decker split-wide to the right

Tell me what you think.
Attached Images

Last edited by pricejj; 05-11-2012 at 02:49 AM..
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

I agree with the conclusion on the bas formation, but I do think we'll use some 3WR sets.

I believe (not sure though) that the Colts were the only team to ever have three WRs with 100 catches in the same season.
Mogulseeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
I agree with the conclusion on the bas formation, but I do think we'll use some 3WR sets.

I believe (not sure though) that the Colts were the only team to ever have three WRs with 100 catches in the same season.
If they did, the 3rd guy would have been Clark (a TE).

It was amazing how many different formations the Saints ran in SuperBowl XLIV, as opposed to the Colts vanilla base formation. Both were very effective. I just don't see a reliable 3rd WR option. One thing the 2009 Colts did was split Addai wide (rarely)...which I could see the Broncos doing with Hillman. I see nothing wrong with past Manning Offense's, and I hope Manning takes over the primary design of the offense and play-calling. I am tired of McCoy's gimmicks (Tebow) and bubble-screens (Orton). McCoy really needs to leave it to the expert (Manning).

Neither Manning, nor Brady have consistently used a 3rd WR, if a viable 2nd TE option is present on the roster. The Broncos No-Huddle has an ability to be just as unstoppable as New England's Offense if DT and Decker can consistently get open and catch the ball. Demaryius Thomas is the deep-threat that the Patriots don't have.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

The thing that stands out for me is that Manning will have huge targets all above 6'3" from WRs to TEs so I expect a LOT of yards after the catch from Decker/Thomas/Tamme because Manning is accurate enough to get the ball right in between their numbers and throw them open.

We already saw last year that if you get Decker/Thomas in space on one on one situations they are very difficult to bring down.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley all had over 1,000 yards in 2004.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:23 AM   #6
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley all had over 1,000 yards in 2004.
Yea I don't think there was a 3 100 catch season, but I'm sure there was a 3 1000 yards season.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

McCoy's recent comments about wanting to establish a "2 back system", because the Broncos have "had so much success with it over the last 2 years", made me laugh.

Although having a 2-back look, at times could be helpful. The Broncos don't have a dependable fullback. The Colts had little success out of the 2-back look with Mike Hart in 2009. It would be helpful to have a pass-catching, dependable FB on the roster, for some short-yardage/goal line situations (2-3 times per game). Nothing more.

The beauty of the Manning Offense is the simplistic formations, and ability of any skill player to catch the ball, on any play. Adding a non-pass catching FB to the base-formation would severely limit Manning's options. McCoy's failure to see this is unbelievable.

Keep your g*ddamn hands off this offense, McCoy.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-14-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Bmore Manning

Price this is solid stuff.

Indy ran something like 80% of their plays from either 2TE or 3WR sets. So I agree I 100% expect to see that most of the time in Denver. Peyton doesn't even need an intricate play book to make a Super Bowl caliber offense, his audibles at the line put players in the right positions to make plays.

He does not make bad throws, his picks are from great plays by defenders, many dropped or tipped passes from his receivers, a WR missing his route.

He has typically had dreadful OLines, Denver's is better except at Center..
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

Nice stuff Pricejj ... good read.
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

holy analysis, that is great stuff. I like the idea of a no huddle, especially when it kicks in when the defensive subs out the first time.

What are chances Manning will have creative control on the offensive?
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Price this is solid stuff.

Indy ran something like 80% of their plays from either 2TE or 3WR sets. So I agree I 100% expect to see that most of the time in Denver. Peyton doesn't even need an intricate play book to make a Super Bowl caliber offense, his audibles at the line put players in the right positions to make plays.

He does not make bad throws, his picks are from great plays by defenders, many dropped or tipped passes from his receivers, a WR missing his route.

He has typically had dreadful OLines, Denver's is better except at Center..
Right. But here is my main point. I do not think there should be a 3rd WR on this team to make more than 30 catches this year. It will be supremely more beneficial to operate with both Tamme (Big mismatch in the passing game against DB's and LB's) AND Dreessen (versatile weapon as a run-blocker and pass catcher), than by taking out a TE or the RB for an additional WR. Both the Colts (2006) and Patriots (2011) have had great success utilizing 2 TE sets in a pass-first Offense. It would be better if Caldwell/Hill/Stokley/etc. only saw the field to rarely spell DT or Decker.

Having both Tamme and Dreessen in the game at the same time, creates a myriad of mismatches that adding a FB or 3rd WR could never hope to do. 2 big, fast TE's are almost unguardable, and significantly open up the running game.

Last edited by pricejj; 05-14-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmac821 View Post
holy analysis, that is great stuff. I like the idea of a no huddle, especially when it kicks in when the defensive subs out the first time.

He will have final control when he audibles!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Drunken.Broncoholic

McCoy who?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
Cmac821
Harden by loss

Can't wait for next year

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Fox Mulder

Quote:
He will have final control when he audibles!
I see it now, Manning in the huddle rolling his eyes as he relays the call to the team
Cmac821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Right. But here is my main point. I do not think there should be a 3rd WR on this team to make more than 30 catches this year. It will be supremely more beneficial to operate with both Tamme (Big mismatch in the passing game against DB's and LB's) AND Dreessen (versatile weapon as a run-blocker and pass catcher), than by taking out a TE or the RB for an additional WR. Both the Colts (2006) and Patriots (2011) have had great success utilizing 2 TE sets.

It would be better if Caldwell/Hill/Stokley/etc. only saw the field to rarely spell DT or Decker.
Yeah, I haved witnessed this for years. They will sub in and use Caldwell. Manning spreads the ball around, so 30 for Caldwell could be very accurate! Not to mention they didn't target a big play receiver in the draft or in FA, so yes I see majority of 2TE sets, with Caldwell/Stokely if he makes the team, getting involved as well.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post

i thought it was 1st team to have 3 - 1000 yard receivers in 1 season
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Yeah, I haved witnessed this for years. They will sub in and use Caldwell. Manning spreads the ball around, so 30 for Caldwell could be very accurate! Not to mention they didn't target a big play receiver in the draft or in FA, so yes I see majority of 2TE sets, with Caldwell/Stokely if he makes the team, getting involved as well.
I see a very minimal involvement of Caldwell/Stokley (< 30 catches), if they do this correctly.

A nickel CB or LB could never guard Tamme. Dreessen is the secret weapon of this Offense, who if used correctly, could have a Shannon Sharpe effect on 3rd downs.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
4. A single RB (either McGahee or Hillman)
Seems reasonable to expect Hillman to be the primary back since he probably fits the offense better than McGahee. Agree? Disagee?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
Bmore Manning

Quote:
I see it now, Manning in the huddle rolling his eyes as he relays the call to the team
Somebody should post the Manning skit he did with Kenny Mayne, from Mayne event.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #20
canadianbroncosfan

nice work price!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I think at home the No Huddle could be exceptionally devastating. Just exponentially increases our home field advantage with the thin air.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #22
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Seems reasonable to expect Hillman to be the primary back since he probably fits the offense better than McGahee. Agree? Disagee?
Definitely agree. I'm not sure that McGahee is spry enough to handle the primary RB duties like Addai did with the Colts, we will see.

Addai was deadly out of the backfield in both the passing and running game. The Colts used RB extensively, either carrying the rock, or running pass patterns on every play, sometimes splitting out wide. In this Offense, RB is the job of a young speedster.

The thing I like about Hillman/McGahee is, that they should be able to pick up good yardage without a FB, which is absolutely imperative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I think at home the No Huddle could be exceptionally devastating. Just exponentially increases our home field advantage with the thin air.
Freaking this.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #23
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Great write up price.
I think Hilman will thrive in this offense.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #24
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

Hillman will be huge...defenses better strap it on when they come to Denver, because Peyton and the no huddle are gonna suck the life out of them....OXYGEN...STAT!!
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:

And dont forget the added CRUSH of the no huddle on opposing Defenses at Mile High :-) ... Usually we have been on the receiving end of such a no huddle in our stadium but our guys are at least acclimated to the altitude.

In contrast, now it will be our offense all dialed in at a mile high and running full bore all day long and the opposing D will be crying for Mama and puking on their shoes by the second series of the second half in each of those home games!

Ryan Clark, make DAMN sure you sit out that first game again in September at Mile High or it could well be the morgue for you after a game of Manning's no huddle brutality at altitude instead of just a typical flight back in defeat to Pittsburg.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote