The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #301
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Why would it be required? What are the benefits?
In CO, where the air is dry, my sinuses just slam shut and retain the pollutants and irritants.

Using a nasal rinse is the only way that works for me, cleans out the sinuses and gets rid of the irritants and allows me to breathe freely.

If there were a better way, I'd be doing it......rinsing isn't a lot of fun.

This is what I use, it is very effective, but again.....no fun.

Sinus Rinse™ helps alleviate …
• Nasal Allergies & Dryness
• Sinusitis, Rhinitis
• Allergic Asthma
• Post Nasal Drip
• Sinus Pressure & Nasal Stuffiness
• Nasal Symptoms from Flu & Cold
• Nasal Irritation from Occupational Dust, Fumes, Animal Dander, Grass, Pollen, Smoke & House Dust
• Nasal Congestion

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/sinur...l-flushing.htm
DenverBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #302
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

The Benefits of Using a Neti Pot: Oprah and Dr. Oz Love it

Patty Oh, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Jan 8, 2008 "Share your voice on Yahoo! websites. Start Here."
MORE:OprahBidetDr. OzNose BidetDr Oz
tweet
Print
Flag
Washing your nose is every bit as normal as brushing your teeth or taking a shower, according to Dr. Oz and Oprah. So what's with this nose bidet, or neti pot Actually, the nose bidet has been in use for years.
Dr. Oz is not the first physician to recommend them. A regular on Oprah's TV show, you can read more about Dr. Oz by clicking HERE.

I have sinus problems. My own physician recommended that I wash my nose and said that it would help my sinuses. I didn't believe him and thought that the whole procedure looked really weird. It did look weird. It still looks weird. But I brush my teeth, and I wash my nose.

The concept behind the neti pot, or nose bidet, is simple. Every day substances and pollutants enter our sinus cavities through our noses. Centuries ago the kinds of materials that entered our bodies through our nose were probably a lot less harmful that the substances that enter our body through our nose today.

So what can be done about it? Simple. Rinse your nose! Enter the neti pot, or nose bidet. People rinsed their noses years ago, long before they were dealing with the pollutants of today.

Sometimes using a neti pot or nose bidet is called irrigating your sinuses. That's another fancy way to say rinsing out the inside of your nose.

Here's how to rinse your nose

Put a saline substance in your neti pot, nose bidet or other device. Personally, I use the Neil Med Sinus Rinse. You can read my review about the Neil Med product by clicking HERE.

Use warm water, not hot, not cold - remember this will be going in your nose. If it's too hot, it will burn. If it's too cold, you'll get the worst brain freeze you can ever imagine. Only use warm water.

Then add a mix of non-iodized salt and baking soda to the water mixture. Lean over your sink, lower your head sideways, and pour the water-salt-soda solution in one side of your nose.

The water will run out of the other side of your nose! No, you won't swallow it, not if your leaning your head over and have it twisted sideways. But you will feel weird, I guarantee it.

Here's how to make the saline solution

According to National Jewish Hospital in Denver, Colorado, the best solution to use when rinsing your nose is:

* Mix one-half teaspoon uniodized salt in an 8-ounce glass of warm water. Uniodized salt is used because iodized salt may be irritating when used over a long period of time.

* Add a pinch of baking soda. A pinch is a small amount you can pick up between two fingers.

* If you are congested, use the entire 8 ounces of saltwater during the nasal wash; otherwise, 4 ounces should be enough.

Get a neti pot, nose bidet, or Neil Med Sinus Rinse. Rinse your nose and let me know what you think of it. Other than feeling weird, that is.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_bidet
http://www.unimedprod.com/
http://www.njc.org/disease-info/trea...asal-wash.aspx
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #303
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

A dry heave would probably be the appropriate reaction from a person witnessing for the first time the ancient practice of nasal cleaning. While it’s not a particularly pleasant event for a bystander, a good nasal cleansing session can lead to sighs of relief (out of both nostrils!) for the doer of the deed. Though nasal cleansing has been a technique used by yogis and Ayurvedic practitioners for ages, today it is an often recommended remedy by doctors for treating environmentally induced sinus and allergy problems and other respiratory ailments.
Since mouth breathers are a bit discriminated against in yoga class, the benefit of nasal cleansing for stuffy yogis is clear. With allergy season just around the corner, if you haven’t ever felt the relief that comes from sticking a neti pot in your nose and feeling the salty water drain out the other nostril, you should seriously consider it to the alternative of popping more pills.

So, if you’re interested, you may be wondering what you need to do to get started. There’s really not much. It’s pretty simple actually. You may want to buy a neti pot, but that’s not even necessary. Many ear, nose and throat doctors suggest using a baby bulb syringe for getting the water into the nose. You can’t get much cheaper. If you decide to go the bulb syringe route, the only other thing you will need is a glass jar to put a homemade saline solution in. While you can buy individual pre-measured packets of saline, here’s a homemade recipe that my sister got from her doctor.
The saline recipe:
Carefully clean and rinse a 1-quart jar. Fill the clean jar with tap water or bottled water. You do not need to boil the water.
Add one level teaspoon of non-iodized (“pickling”) salt. DO NOT use table salt. Table salt has unwanted additives. You can ask for pickling salt at the grocery store.
Add one level teaspoon of baking soda (pure bicarbonate).
Stir or shake before each use. Store at room temperature. After one week pour out any mixture that is left over and make a new recipe.
Once you have your mixture ready, all you have to do is squirt one to two syringes of solution per nostril and let it drain into the sink or tub. Check out this clip for a demonstration on how to properly perform a nasal cleanse using a neti pot. The same technique can be applied if you use a bulb syringe.

The Benefits of using this solution:
Rinsing your nose with the salt water and baking soda solution washes crusts (gross) and other debris from your nose.
Salty water pulls fluid out of swollen membranes. Washing the inside of the nose decongests it and improves airflow. Not only does it make breathing easier, but it helps open the sinus passages.
Studies show that this mixture of concentrated salt water and baking soda helps the nose membrane to work better and move mucus out of the nose faster.
While the above recommendations have worked for me, there are a lot of websites with even more information on nasal cleansing that you may find useful. I particularly recommend the Himalayan Institute.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #304
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Ducks do not use them because they "Quack Quack"
Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #305
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

This thread has officially been 'Nose-Jacked'!!

Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #306
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBrit View Post
In CO, where the air is dry, my sinuses just slam shut and retain the pollutants and irritants.

Using a nasal rinse is the only way that works for me, cleans out the sinuses and gets rid of the irritants and allows me to breathe freely.

If there were a better way, I'd be doing it......rinsing isn't a lot of fun.

This is what I use, it is very effective, but again.....no fun.

Sinus Rinse™ helps alleviate …
• Nasal Allergies & Dryness
• Sinusitis, Rhinitis
• Allergic Asthma
• Post Nasal Drip
• Sinus Pressure & Nasal Stuffiness
• Nasal Symptoms from Flu & Cold
• Nasal Irritation from Occupational Dust, Fumes, Animal Dander, Grass, Pollen, Smoke & House Dust
• Nasal Congestion

http://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/sinur...l-flushing.htm
Try a nette pot. once you get accustomed to it it's enjoyable. Honest! Just make sure you get the right mixture of salt and water. Too much salt and it burns same for too little salt. There are recipes all over the internet.

Oh and it's way cheaper
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #307
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
This thread has officially been 'Nose-Jacked'!!

Infinitely better than gloating about a neighboring country's tragedy of drug gangs beheading each other's members vying for market share of the US drug business in a feel good attempt to win bragging rights as to which country is safer.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #308
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Try a nette pot. once you get accustomed to it it's enjoyable. Honest! Just make sure you get the right mixture of salt and water. Too much salt and it burns same for too little salt. There are recipes all over the internet.

Oh and it's way cheaper
Whatever the packets contain, they work well.

I've tried the route you suggest and find the 'irrigation bottle' quicker and easier. Results about the same.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #309
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Infinitely better than gloating about a neighboring country's tragedy of drug gangs beheading each other's members vying for market share of the US drug business in a feel good attempt to win bragging rights as to which country is safer.
That's not my motive. My motive is that the U.S. government should have strict traveling warnings and alerts for the American people and stop pretending that it is still safe for Spring Break college students and the rest of our citizens, to travel to a country as out of control and savage as Mexico has become. Instead, the travel industry is allowed to continue selling it as a travel destination. Truth in advertising. That's what I want.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #310
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
That's not my motive. My motive is that the U.S. government should have strict traveling warnings and alerts for the American people and stop pretending that it is still safe for Spring Break college students and the rest of our citizens, to travel to a country as out of control and savage as Mexico has become. Instead, the travel industry is allowed to continue selling it as a travel destination. Truth in advertising. That's what I want.
If you will go back and read the articles I posted you will see most of the problems are in three border towns and most tourist destinations are safe ( I would avoid Acapolco) so a travel warning would not be honest.

What you are suggesting is like saying avoiding the USA because there are problems in Detroit.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #311
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

As someone who suffers from allergies, I do this twice daily. In the morning and before bed-time. The results are actually amazing.

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #312
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
As someone who suffers from allergies, I do this twice daily. In the morning and before bed-time. The results are actually amazing.

I have nonspecific rhinitis. I wonder if this would help?

BTW, did the MD visit go okay?
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #313
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
If you will go back and read the articles I posted you will see most of the problems are in three border towns and most tourist destinations are safe ( I would avoid Acapolco) so a travel warning would not be honest.

What you are suggesting is like saying avoiding the USA because there are problems in Detroit.
That's where we disagree. Getting mugged in Detroit is not the same thing as being decapitated, hung from a bridge, or burned alive in an oil drum. What is going on in Mexico is waaaaaaaaay beyond the pale. But you seem unable to acknowledge that.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #314
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
I have nonspecific rhinitis. I wonder if this would help?

BTW, did the MD visit go okay?
I think it will do you wonders. It is worth a shot.

Ah, visits were meh. A lot of drama happened. I'm down 20 pounds in three days because my kidney's are functioning again. Stress, infection and some other bad habits probably caused a sharp relapse. Was thrilled to see that in just 10 days of treatment my levels are getting back to normal. Will do a check-up after tapering of medication in about 1.5 months or so. ****'s falling into place for me, IMHO.

LinkedIN profile done, bomb resume, I went through all my life accomplishments last night and I'm actually prepared to do great things. This situation I'm in -- being home and getting closure is helping. Going to make sure all my references are good for me and then start applying in mass for good jobs. Considering pursuing my Master's / PhD as well. Just have to do a cost-benefit analysis of more school debt. I feel good that I have less than 30k school and 5k of bad debt. Most people I know these days are way over that.

I'm blessed.

Thanks for the wishes and vibes guys.

Now I'm gonna relax for a nap then go to the lake.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:37 AM   #315
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
That's where we disagree. Getting mugged in Detroit is not the same thing as being decapitated, hung from a bridge, or burned alive in an oil drum. What is going on in Mexico is waaaaaaaaay beyond the pale. But you seem unable to acknowledge that.
Once again the problem is in specific cities NOT country wide. A horrendous problem in Ciudad Juarez is not a problem in Los Cabos no matter how horrendous the problem may be.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #316
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Let's say for arguments sake they were beheading gang members in Phoenix would you be reluctant to travel to Yellowstone Park.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #317
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

Did they change the formula and make it tolerable?

I tried it a few years ago and it tasted awful so I gave it up.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #318
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
It is not tourists being killed. Those murders are meant to shock the rival gang members unfortunately the whole country suffers from the heinous nature of the crime.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #319
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Mexico Travel Warning in Perspective

Looking at the Facts...
Updated February 26, 2011 This is one of the most widely read pages on our site and has ranked highly in Google searches for "Mexico Travel Warning" since I first authored the article in 2007.
It is without fear of equivocation that I say, despite being raised from a travel advisory to travel warning in 2010, things have become safer in Baja. I have updated this page with every new release from the Department of Homeland Security, yet our message remains the same... Come visit us in Baja.
There are some points I would like to make right out of the gate:
1) I have lived in Mexico for more than a decade. I feel safer here from serious crime than I did in MOST of the US cities in which I lived. If there has been a change, it has been for the better. Local crime is most usually limited to petty theft. Even police 'harassment' for 'mordida' is down significantly
2) Nearly 3 million people live in Baja, most of them in 5 major cities scattered across the peninsula. Look at the statistics - crime happens everywhere.
3) The US State Department author of the travel warning is not even aware that the peninsula is divided into two separate states, much like North and South Dakota. How accurate can he be?
4) Mexico is a large country, and much like the US has locations that are NOT for tourists, Even Mexicans avoid travel to Culidad Juarez, Monterrey and Veracruz.. CD Juarez, a border town, has been a 'rough and tumble' town since the early 1800's. Painting Mexico travel with such a broad brush is like saying "I'm not going to Disney World in Orlando because of the violence in New Orleans."
5) Baja California Sur is notably absent from any warnings.
6) Despite more than 150 years of abuse by the US, the Mexican people as a whole still welcome their visitors from the north with open arms and big smiles.
Mexico travel is on the rebound, from the low point in 2008 when the drug war reached a fever pitch and there was spin-off violence that affected tourists, particularly in the border region of Baja California between Tijuana and Mexicali. Some of this was even thought to be the work of vengeful X-cops, fired wholesale in Tijuana for corruption.
Getting Real with Crime Statistics
Most importantly in interpreting the news is this:
According to 2010 travel statistics compiled by the US Department of State, twice as many Americans will visit Mexico today than visit London in a year!
There will undoubtedly going to be incidents involving tourists with that many visitors, but it seems the American press just loves to bring every incident in Mexico to light. Today the headline in the British press is about 2 vacationing college students from Briton killed in Florida by a black man in his teens. I could not find one reference to that in state-side press.
There have in fact, been car jacking's in Baja California of foreign tourists. Most of which occurred in Tijuana, remember, a city of 1.4 million people. There were more than 38,000 successful car jacking's in the US last year, more than 35% of them were in the so called 'safe-suburbs'. (less than 24% of the vehicles were ever recovered)
There have in fact, been homicides of North Americans in Tijuana. Some were suspected drug involvement. One in 2010 and another in 2011 that I followed were most likely innocents, both were of Mexican decent in Tijuana. One of these young men was in a 'bad' part of TJ with cousins and wandered into something they shouldn't have. The other was a killed in the line up for the US border crossing. He had just come from a family party in TJ, one theory was he flirted with the wrong cousin.
There have in fact, even been incidents of violence in Baja California Sur this year including a shoot out with police and four beheaded bodies found in Cabo San Lucas. No foreigners were involved, although some got a front row seat at the shopping center shootout.
More below...
Share with:
Share on google Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email More Sharing Services
If you enjoy Baja or Mexico travel we hope that you will share this fact laden story with your social network friends. Use the buttons above to post a link to this story on your Facebook or other network site.
Making a Fair Comparison
Tijuana and Philadelphia are about the same population (about 1.4 million) and strangely enough about the same physical size.
In 2011 Philadelphia had a slightly higher murder rate than Tijuana. Both were right around 7.2 per 100K people.
In 2011 Philadelphia had more car jacking's than Tijuana
In 2011 Philadelphia had more than 3 times as many police officers as did Tijuana.
Yet there is a Travel Warning for the border areas of Mexico and not one for Philadelphia?
The 2011 Crime stats are not yet available from the Justice Department or the PJE in Mexico. So we will have to look at the crime stats for both Mexico and the US from 2010.
In 2010 the Murder Rate in the US was 5.6 per 100K people.
In 2010 the Murder Rate in Mexico was 13.2 per 100K people – BUT if you deduct the direct combatants in the drug war (cartel members or police) it slashes Mexico's Murder Rate to 5.8 per 100K, just fractions above that of the US.
In comparison the most dangerous country in this hemisphere and most dangerous non-warring country in the world is Honduras, with 72.3 murders per 100K, followed closely by El Salvador, Nicaragua and Guatemala, all over 60 murders per 100K,
In 2010 more than TWO THIRDS of US cities were more deadly than Tijuana in murders per 100K.
Tijuana, the most dangerous place in Baja if you will, had a murder rate of 7.2 per 100K. New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit and Washington DC was all in excess of 15 murders per 100K. Where is their Travel Warning?
There are bad parts of town in every city... stay out of them.
The problems in Mexico are part of the war against drugs initiated in 2006. In 2010 the drug was spread from border areas to Acapulco and Cancun. These unfortunate headlines further dampened Mexico tourism although they did not involve tourists.
Today the headlines decry out for 22 tourists robbed in Puerto Vallarta from a Carnaval Cruises excursion. All 22 were on one excursion, and apparently robbed away from the boat while on a private tour. Carnaval has suspended that operator from their services. The point is, more than 2978 OTHER Carnaval Cruise guests that day had a wonderful time in P.V.
We encourage you to come visit us in Baja
Baja California - Working hard to regain your trust
In areas close to the border travel has been devastated by the violence in the headlines and passport requirements. Folks without passports can no longer make a day of shopping in TJ or other border towns. With the lack of business, these areas have become more crime ridden. It may be some time before these border areas regain the trust and traffic of North Americans.
Tijuana is one of the cities affected by the cartel wars, but the crime rate has dropped significantly since 2007 with the revamping of the police and policing tactics.
However, investment minded civic officials have worked hard to repair the problems and combat the anti-Mexico propaganda in their regions. Leaders like former Rosarito Beach mayor Hugo Torres improved safety and beat the drum loudly in the media to repair the region's image. Tourism and real estate investment in the region have begun to improve.
Baja California Sur - A Safe Destination
Baja California Sur was specifically omitted from the latest Mexico Travel Warning. One of the safest states in Mexico there were 10 murders in the state last year, making Baja Sur safer per capita than almost all US states.
A recent study determined the La Paz was the third safest city of its size (300,000) in the Western Hemisphere!
Why is the Press Bashing Mexico?
First off, it is pure Machiavellian and every leader has used it since Julius Caesar - point the finger of woe outside your country. Immigration and drug issues are really US internal problems, but it is far easier and politically reassuring to point at Mexico.
Secondly, as a long time international traveler with somewhere around 50 different stamps in my passport it is very clear to me the US is trying to stymie international travel. It is a political security risk. The fewer people that cross the border the more thoroughly they will be able to 'inspect' each traveler.
On a recent passage through Bush Airport in Houston I was subject to ICE. (Immigration 7 Customs Enforcement)
Now we all know that ICE knows well in advance what planes are arriving and when and how many passengers. As the line at immigration grew to the longest I have ever seen in MANY trips through Houston a supervisor arrived, eyed the crowd and closed 2 more of the only 6 interrogation booths open. Four lanes to service thousands of arrivals. One for a few hundred foreigners and one for the airline crews. That guy sat idle while thousands of US citizens waited to be readmitted to the US.
I was carry-on only baggage and it still required more than 45 minutes just to clear customs, another 15 minutes for TSA inspections. A significant number of passengers missed connecting flights were for decades have been scheduled a minimum of 50 minutes apart.
Defeating "Mexiphobia"
Remember, as the travel warning itself states, hundreds of thousands of US Citizens travel to Mexico every year, and only a handful ever experience a violent or negative incident on their visit. Come Enjoy the Baja peninsula, it is STILL the same great place of your dreams!
Tomas
February 26, 2012 The US Department of State has renewed the Travel Warning for Mexico. The travel warning is very carefully worded and we recommend you read the document with equal care.
To view the full document click here.
It is important to note that despite with glaring headlines in the US decry, the travel statement has not changed significantly since being upgraded to a travel warning in April of 2010.
Below is the official DHS statement with the parts particularly pertaining to Baja California and Baja California Sur.
Travel Warning for Mexico
February 08, 2012 - The Department of State has issued this Travel Warning to inform U.S. citizens about the security situation in Mexico. General information on the overall security situation is provided immediately below. For information on security conditions in specific regions of Mexico, which can vary, travelers should reference the state-by-state assessments further below.
This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning for Mexico dated April 22, 2011 to consolidate and update information about the security situation and to advise the public of additional restrictions on the travel of U.S. government (USG) personnel.
General Conditions:
Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. The Mexican government makes a considerable effort to protect U.S. citizens and other visitors to major tourist destinations, and there is no evidence that Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs) have targeted U.S. visitors and residents based on their nationality. Resort areas and tourist destinations in Mexico generally do not see the levels of drug-related violence and crime reported in the border region and in areas along major trafficking routes.
Nevertheless, U.S. travelers should be aware that the Mexican government has been engaged in an extensive effort to counter TCOs which engage in narcotics trafficking and other unlawful activities throughout Mexico. The TCOs themselves are engaged in a violent struggle to control drug trafficking routes and other criminal activity. As a result, crime and violence are serious problems throughout the country and can occur anywhere. U.S. citizens have fallen victim to TCO activity, including homicide, gun battles, kidnapping, carjacking and highway robbery.
According to the most recent homicide figures published by the Mexican government, 47,515 people were killed in narcotics-related violence in Mexico between December 1, 2006 and September 30, 2011, with 12,903 narcotics-related homicides in the first nine months of 2011 alone. While most of those killed in narcotics-related violence have been members of TCOs, innocent persons have also been killed. The number of U.S. citizens reported to the Department of State as murdered in Mexico increased from 35 in 2007 to 120 in 2011.
Gun battles between rival TCOs or with Mexican authorities have taken place in towns and cities in many parts of Mexico, especially in the border region. Gun battles have occurred in broad daylight on streets and in other public venues, such as restaurants and clubs. During some of these incidents, U.S. citizens have been trapped and temporarily prevented from leaving the area. TCOs use stolen cars and trucks to create roadblocks on major thoroughfares, preventing the military and police from responding to criminal activity. The location and timing of future armed engagements is unpredictable. We recommend that you defer travel to the areas indicated in this Travel Warning and to exercise extreme caution when traveling throughout the northern border region.
The rising number of kidnappings and disappearances throughout Mexico is of particular concern. Both local and expatriate communities have been victimized. In addition, local police have been implicated in some of these incidents. We strongly advise you to lower your profile and avoid displaying any evidence of wealth that might draw attention.
Carjacking and highway robbery are serious problems in many parts of the border region and U.S. citizens have been murdered in such incidents. Most victims who complied with carjackers at these checkpoints have reported that they were not physically harmed. Incidents have occurred during the day and at night, and carjackers have used a variety of techniques, including bumping/moving vehicles to force them to stop and running vehicles off the road at high speeds. There are some indications that criminals have particularly targeted newer and larger vehicles, especially dark-colored SUVs. However, victims driving a variety of vehicles, from late model SUVs to old sedans have also been targeted. While violent incidents have occurred at all hours of the day and night on both modern toll ("cuotas") highways and on secondary roads, they have occurred most frequently at night and on isolated roads. To reduce risk, we strongly urge you to travel between cities throughout Mexico only during daylight hours, to avoid isolated roads, and to use toll roads whenever possible. The Mexican government has deployed federal police and military personnel throughout the country as part of its efforts to combat the TCOs. U.S. citizens traveling on Mexican roads and highways may encounter government checkpoints, which are often staffed by military personnel or law enforcement personnel. TCOs have erected their own unauthorized checkpoints, and killed or abducted motorists who have failed to stop at them. You should cooperate at all checkpoints.
Effective July 15, 2010, the U.S. Mission in Mexico imposed restrictions on U.S. government employees' travel. U.S. government employees and their families are not permitted to drive for personal reasons from the U.S.-Mexico border to or from the interior of Mexico or Central America. Personal travel by vehicle is permitted between Hermosillo and Nogales but is restricted to daylight hours and the Highway 15 toll road (cuota).
U.S. government personnel and their families are prohibited from personal travel to all areas described as “defer non-essential travel” and when travel for official purposes is essential it is conducted with extensive security precautions. USG personnel and their families are allowed to travel for personal reasons to the areas where no advisory is in effect or where the advisory is to exercise caution.
Advisories for the Baja peninsula
Baja California (north): Tijuana is a major city/travel destination in the Northern portion of Baja California -see attached map to identify its exact location: You should exercise caution in the northern state of Baja California, particularly at night. Targeted TCO assassinations continue to take place in Baja California. Turf battles between criminal groups proliferated and resulted in numerous assassinations in areas of Tijuana frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured, have occurred during daylight hours throughout the city. In one such incident, an U.S. citizen was shot and seriously wounded. According to the Government of Mexico, as of August 2011, the city’s murder rate was approximately 20 per 100,000. During 2011, 34 U.S. citizens were the victims of homicide in the state. In the majority of these cases, the killings appeared to be related to narcotics trafficking.
Baja California Sur: Cabo San Lucas is a major city/travel destination in the Southern portion of Baja California Sur: No advisory is in effect.
For any emergencies involving U.S. citizens in Mexico, please contact the U.S. Embassy or the closest U.S. Consulate. The U.S. Embassy is located in Mexico City at Paseo de la Reforma 305, Colonia Cuauhtemoc, telephone from the United States: 011-52-55-5080-2000; telephone within Mexico City: 5080-2000; telephone long distance within Mexico 01-55-5080-2000. You may also contact the Embassy by e-mail at: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov The Embassy's internet address is http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #320
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

The Embassy's Internet address is http://www.usembassy-mexico.gov/.
Tijuana (Baja California): Tapachula 96, telephone (011)(52)(664) 622-7400.
Cabo San Lucas: (Baja California Sur) Blvd. Marina local c-4, Plaza Nautica, col. Centro, telephone (011)(52)(624) 143-3566.
What You Can Do
I have traveled all over the world and there are two things I have observed: (and a survey of Concierges world wide by a travel magazine confirms)
1) Americans are the worst dressed of all international tourists
2) Americans are the most oblivious to the dangers of there surroundings of all international tourists.
PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS HAPPENING AROUND YOU. Americans are use to an overwhelming police presence in a relatively safe country. You know there are parts of your own home town home town you would avoid at night. Do the same when traveling.
Don't be ostentatious. Flashy jewelry, loud drunken conversation and rude behaviour are all invites to becoming a crime victim.
Reply from Mexican Businessmen
The San Diego Union-Tribune reported Sunday that Baja California officials have protested the warnings, saying the broad condemnation of the region doesn't take into account inroads made against the cartels in recent months.
"U.S. government officials have walked a fine line in recent years, issuing alerts and warnings to protect citizens while simultaneously praising Mexican government efforts to fight the drug cartels. The cartels make their money shipping narcotics to users in the United States and many of the weapons used in the violence are procured legally and illegally from the United States.
The latest warning points out that hundreds of thousands of Americans visit popular tourist destinations in Mexico each year without problems. The language was an attempt to differentiate between resorts such as Cancun and Cabo San Lucas and the violent border regions. However Mexican officials have complained that the travel warnings damage tourism to all parts of the country."
One of our Insider Readers writes:
Thank you so much for your article "Looking at the Facts" regarding the recent panic about travel to Mexico. I will be returning to Merida, Mexico for the third time next week and am frankly sick of fielding questions about safety.
Yes, of course safety is of concern, regardless of where you travel, but being from Chicago, I can say with certainty that I have always felt nothing but absolutely safe in Mexico. I only hope more people are of clear-enough mind to make the trip to Mexico and find that out for themselves
Partial Bibliography
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #321
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I agree with one thing: The best way to end this is to legalize drugs. Game over. Of course, then the cartels (like our own Mafia) will just go into other businesses.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #322
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
I agree with one thing: The best way to end this is to legalize drugs. Game over. Of course, then the cartels (like our own Mafia) will just go into other businesses.
maybe we can sell the drug dealers guns!
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #323
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Did they change the formula and make it tolerable?

I tried it a few years ago and it tasted awful so I gave it up.
Doesn't "taste" good at all, but it does wonders for me -- so that's what matters!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #324
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
maybe we can sell the drug dealers guns!
We tried that. Didn't seem to work.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #325
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Aw naw!