The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #51
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Broncos will have three honky DTs in TC this year. Bannan, Wolfe and Ben Garland. Everyone honk your horns!!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #52
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
he's white, that's how.
I honestly believe this played a part...

Everything about this guy from his measurables to his production in college to his attitude scream 1st rd talent...

Teams will regret passing this dude up.... he is a beast...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #53
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #54
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

The last time we had a DT who could really rush the passer it was Trevor Pryce, who has the same 6'5", 295 pound kind of frame Wolfe has. Every time I see these teams getting pressure up the middle without a blitz I've longed for that again. Nine sacks and 21 TF last seasonL...not to mention 70 tackles is a lot of production from him. I hope Warren makes it back all the way and stays healthy...the D-line might be improved even without Bunkley.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #55
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Pass rushing DT... I take it
70 tackles and 21.5 for a loss? Seems he is a run stuffer.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #56
RMT
Rocky Mountain Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Broncos will have three honky DTs in TC this year. Bannan, Wolfe and Ben Garland. Everyone honk your horns!!
Interesting point ... how about calling them the Cracka Crew - or Wolfepack?

Last edited by RMT; 04-30-2012 at 11:41 PM..
RMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #57
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 View Post
The last time we had a DT who could really rush the passer it was Trevor Pryce, who has the same 6'5", 295 pound kind of frame Wolfe has. Every time I see these teams getting pressure up the middle without a blitz I've longed for that again. Nine sacks and 21 TF last seasonL...not to mention 70 tackles is a lot of production from him. I hope Warren makes it back all the way and stays healthy...the D-line might be improved even without Bunkley.
If we had signed Buckley we likely don't have Wolfe on the team.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #58
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If we had signed Buckley we likely don't have Bannon on the team.
Fixed it for you!
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #59
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Wolfe had the best 3 cone and 20s time of all of the top DT prospects. His 40 time, bench press reps, and vertical were all comparable. How does he lack the athleticism of other top targets?
A lot of guys get labelled one way or the other and then it gets dispelled at the combine.

Wolfe for example was frequently labelled "unathletic" because he wasn't a big school recruit coming out of high school, played in a relatively weak conference, and exhibited good technique and motor. At that point it is really easy to write someone off as "unathletic".

Then he showed up to the combine and proved it wrong. That is when he started climbing up boards. Teams knew the fundamentals and desire were there. The production was there. But was it a hard worker taking advantage of weak competition or is he athletic enough to keep doing it in the NFL? His combine performance assured teams that he was and so he began climbing up boards. Experts who didn't adjust to that still viewed him as a mid-rounder when he just shattered the number one fear real pro personnel guys had for him.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #60
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Wolfe had the best 3 cone and 20s time of all of the top DT prospects. His 40 time, bench press reps, and vertical were all comparable. How does he lack the athleticism of other top targets?
That's what baffles me. Drek has probably gotten close to the answer. He had the "unathletic" label on him pre-combine, then when he blew those notions away with combine results similar to or better than some of the top prospects, many analysts simply failed to adjust their rankings either from lack of attention to detail or stubborness.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #61
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
That's what baffles me. Drek has probably gotten close to the answer. He had the "unathletic" label on him pre-combine, then when he blew those notions away with combine results similar to or better than some of the top prospects, many analysts simply failed to adjust their rankings either from lack of attention to detail or stubborness.
PFT had one of their very rare good articles on this phenomenon, talking about how the draft "gurus" like Kiper, McShay, and even Mayock talk about "late risers" when they don't really exist.

Teams don't suddenly change their evaluation of a player in the final weeks before the draft. They review tape and get an idea who they want to target months in advance. The combine lets them then compare raw athleticism on a roughly equal footing. Pro days let them see the guys up close and personal going through drills. By the time the pro day for a player is done teams generally know exactly what their opinion is.

Meanwhile draft reporters get fragments of info at different stages in the process. So the "not athletic" label for Wolfe can stick because one or two scouts mention to a draft reporter that they were concerned about his athleticism pre-combine. Suddenly that label sticks when all the scout meant was that they wanted confirmation with what the tape showed and to prove it wasn't a weak conference mirage.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #62
lolcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
70 tackles and 21.5 for a loss? Seems he is a run stuffer.
Didn't he have like 9 sacks too? That's insane for a DT

Plus all the tackles for a loss are because he is constantly in the backfield. Helluva run stuffer, but you don't get sacks without that kinda penetration either
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #63
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Alfred Williams - "Do you like to stuff the run, or do you like to push guys back and rush the QB?"

Derek Wolfe - "I like to kick ass."
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #64
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Alfred Williams - "Do you like to stuff the run, or do you like to push guys back and rush the QB?"

Derek Wolfe - "I like to kick ass."
Sounds like he takes their lunch money too. AWESOME response to his question. I am beginning to think white guys are really cool.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote