The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #151
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
White Sox' Humber is perfect through 8.
Its funney to see when they show him on the bench he is alone and no one is sitting near him.
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #152
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Go Humber...go Sox!

BRING BACK BUTCH
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #153
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

Congrats Philip! That is a lot of 0's...........
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #154
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Props on the perfect game....I'd never heard of Philip Humber before today....but it looks like he had some success last year.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #155
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Matt Kemp must be pissed still about the MVP thing. He hit another HR to set a Dodgers record 9 HRs in 15 games.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #156
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Matt Kemp must be pissed still about the MVP thing. He hit another HR to set a Dodgers record 9 HRs in 15 games.
That's impressive....I remember when his current manager, Don Mattingly, went on a similar HR binge with the Yankees in 1987.

I looked it up and Mattingly hit HRs in 8 consecutive games and had a total of 10 HRs in that 8 game stretch.

The 8 consecutive game streak is tied for the all time record with Dale Long and Ken Griffey Jr.

Donnie Baseball.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #157
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

I like Brandon Inge and really respect the fact that he is the most tenured Tiger and was with them when they absolutely stunk and was part of the rebuilding process.

I also love his versatility in the field....dude can basically play every position in the field, including catcher.

All that said, it's the same deal as last year....Inge has to start hitting the ball to stay with the team.

In previous years, you could put up with a .230 or .240 average with some pop in the bat and a little flair for the dramatic and a very good glove at 3rd base.

Last year they had to send him down to Toledo because he looked completely lost at the plate. They brought him up at the end of the season and he improved a little bit, but still ended up batting .197 on the year.

This year, he is getting the chance to fill the void at second base and has looked good with the glove....but he is hitting even worse this year.------.063 (albeit with a small sample size to start the season).

It would be sweet if he could be his old .240/17 HR/70 RBI season self at 2nd base, where that is good enough output.

That said....dude has been lost at the plate the last 2 years and needs to get it going pretty damn quick.

I would love to see him be able to stick around and be a part of a World Series winning team in Detroit.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #158
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
I like Brandon Inge and really respect the fact that he is the most tenured Tiger and was with them when they absolutely stunk and was part of the rebuilding process.

I also love his versatility in the field....dude can basically play every position in the field, including catcher.

All that said, it's the same deal as last year....Inge has to start hitting the ball to stay with the team.

In previous years, you could put up with a .230 or .240 average with some pop in the bat and a little flair for the dramatic and a very good glove at 3rd base.

Last year they had to send him down to Toledo because he looked completely lost at the plate. They brought him up at the end of the season and he improved a little bit, but still ended up batting .197 on the year.

This year, he is getting the chance to fill the void at second base and has looked good with the glove....but he is hitting even worse this year.------.063 (albeit with a small sample size to start the season).

It would be sweet if he could be his old .240/17 HR/70 RBI season self at 2nd base, where that is good enough output.

That said....dude has been lost at the plate the last 2 years and needs to get it going pretty damn quick.

I would love to see him be able to stick around and be a part of a World Series winning team in Detroit.
I felt this way last year. I'm done with him now.

Now that he's not playing third, the Tigers are hoping he can be good enough to play second in the field. Meantime, he hasn't hit better than .250 in over 5 years. During that time, his average yearly stats are as follows:

.227 AVG, 14 HR, 59 RBI, 124 K (1 K every 3.67 AB), 44 BB (1 BB every 9.8 AB)

That's barely MLB caliber there. Even if you give him his best stats in each of those categories over the past 5 years, you get:

.243 AVG, 27 HR, 84 RBI, 134 K (1 K every 4.33 AB), 43 BB (1 BB every 8.07 AB)

The only thing that was saving him is his glove. Now, we're hoping he is able to transition to a new position while improving his average 15 points, hitting 13 more HR, getting almost 1 more AB between K's and improving his walks by almost 2 AB per?

Not going to happen.

He's a waste of a roster space. Tigers need to move on, and move on now.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #159
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

I watched most of the Sox game today, haven't had a chance to watch the last couple innings but Humber was flying through the line up and you could just tell he was on today.

Another great baseball memory.

Go White Sox!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #160
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
I felt this way last year. I'm done with him now.

Now that he's not playing third, the Tigers are hoping he can be good enough to play second in the field. Meantime, he hasn't hit better than .250 in over 5 years. During that time, his average yearly stats are as follows:

.227 AVG, 14 HR, 59 RBI, 124 K (1 K every 3.67 AB), 44 BB (1 BB every 9.8 AB)

That's barely MLB caliber there. Even if you give him his best stats in each of those categories over the past 5 years, you get:

.243 AVG, 27 HR, 84 RBI, 134 K (1 K every 4.33 AB), 43 BB (1 BB every 8.07 AB)

The only thing that was saving him is his glove. Now, we're hoping he is able to transition to a new position while improving his average 15 points, hitting 13 more HR, getting almost 1 more AB between K's and improving his walks by almost 2 AB per?

Not going to happen.

He's a waste of a roster space. Tigers need to move on, and move on now.
You're right....I tend to think more emotionally than realistically with players like Brandon Inge, but the reality of it is that he is a weak spot and needs to be replaced.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #161
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Justin Verlander went 6 innings, giving up 0 earned runs, walking 3, and striking out 8 as Detroit was able to snap the 8 game winning streak of Texas.

3-2 Tigers....that Texas lineup is hard to slow down.

After 15 games, Detroit is 10-5 and in first place by 1.5 games....I'll take it.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #162
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Justin Verlander went 6 innings, giving up 0 earned runs, walking 3, and striking out 8 as Detroit was able to snap the 8 game winning streak of Texas.

3-2 Tigers....that Texas lineup is hard to slow down.

After 15 games, Detroit is 10-5 and in first place by 1.5 games....I'll take it.
Both us (WS) and Cleveland have played less games...
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #163
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
You're right....I tend to think more emotionally than realistically with players like Brandon Inge, but the reality of it is that he is a weak spot and needs to be replaced.
I try not to let my emotions get involved, but I was never a big fan of Inge anyway, and I never understood why he ever got as popular as he became.

IMO if you're striking out over 100 times in a season, you'd better be hitting 25+ home runs or batting over .300 to make up for it. If not, you're on the list of players to replace first.

Tigers would be better off starting Ramon Santiago (who also should be replaced, but is under contract until after next season), whose career BA is 14 points higher than Inge's, and who strikes out about half as often. He may not hit a ton of home runs, but with the Tigers lineup, there will be players on base all season long, and anyone who can hit .250 for the season is going to drive in 50 runs.

Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will be desperate enough to trade for him at the deadline...hopefully an NL team so just in case he does blow up, we'll never have to worry about it.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #164
bombay
Ring of Famer

Joe Strauss on the Cardinals' farm system. Complete with a picture of jackass Keith Law.

PITTSBURGH * The Cardinals' immediate goal is to contend, reach the postseason and ultimately emerge from the ensuing crapshoot as World Series champions.
Their long-term aim is to achieve organizational self-sufficiency by constructing a talent pipeline that can offset the game's escalating pay scale for elite, established talent.

Regarding self-sufficiency, general manager John Mozeliak suggests without little hesitation, "I think we're there."

Chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. and Mozeliak share a belief that the franchise's player development system never has been stronger under current ownership. It's an opinion supported by numerous trade publications as well as rival organizations that see legitimacy where once they perceived false hope.

"I believe we were very strong three years ago, whether media, other clubs or whoever disagreed," Mozeliak said. "I think we're in an even stronger position now, which does seem to be a commonly held opinion."

The Cardinals have three- and five-year projections that Mozeliak prefers not to divulge. Indeed, as far back as 2009, the club began to construct contingencies should Albert Pujols exit as a free agent. They now can project based on several deals already in place in addition to the expanded pipeline.

For example, the Cardinals approach to negotiations with Adam Wainwright, who will reach free agency after the 2013 season. To what degree does the presence of prospects Shelby Miller, Carlos Martinez and Trevor Rosenthal influence negotiations with a two-time Cy Young Award contender? Kyle Lohse, Jake Westbrook and Chris Carpenter also reach free agency in the next two years. Jaime Garcia is under club control through 2017.

The Cardinals acknowledge a need for more lefthanded pitching and development of another impact position player. Currently at Class AA Springfield, 19-year-old outfielder Oscar Taveras is the organization's top position prospect and could conceivably start the 2014 season in St. Louis.

"It's not perfect. I dare say no club believes its player development system perfect," Mozeliak said. "I do, however, believe we're in a very strong position."

That position allows the defending World Series champions to project players at almost every position while preparing to exercise five of the first 59 selections in the upcoming amateur draft.

Where once the Cardinals were considered rife with relief pitchers and complementary position players, they now possess several hurlers who could join the parent club's rotation in the next two seasons.

DeWitt long seethed over the system's low ranking and gradually consolidated responsibility for reversing the trend in former vice-president of scouting and player development Jeff Luhnow.

Perceptions have taken a decided upturn in the past two years - analysts for ESPN and Baseball Prospectus listed the Cardinals among their top five this spring.

ESPN's , a sparring partner of Luhnow's after ranking the system 29th in 2010, placed the Cardinals 14th before the 2011 season and fourth this year.

Baseball Prospectus analyst Kevin Goldstein placed the Cardinals No. 3 this spring and attached a five-star ranking to Miller, Taveras and Martinez while granting four-star status to two others.

A year ago, Baseball Prospectus classified only Miller as a five-star talent and no one as a four-star.

Baseball American accorded the Cardinals recognition as its organization of the year for 2011, partly because of its World Series success but also because of the depth of its minor-league system.

"We've had a strong sense of our direction the last number of years,"
Mozeliak said. "But I dare say when every respected industry publication sees the same thing it tends to support what we've said about our organizational strength."

In the last decade the Cardinals have projected Anthony Reyes as a fixture in their starting rotation and insisted that Brett Wallace fit as a major-league third baseman despite significant draft-room debate.
The front office also glossed over former manager Tony La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan's reluctance to play defensively challenged catcher Bryan Anderson.

The Cardinals ultimately dumped Reyes to the Cleveland Indians for long-forgotten reliever Luis Perdomo, a minor-league pitcher subsequently lost in the Rule 5 draft.
The club dealt Wallace in a July 2009 package for Matt Holliday barely a year after Wallace's first-round selection. Traded twice since, Wallace failed to make the Houston Astros' opening day roster under their first-year general manager, Jeff Luhnow. Anderson, now 25, enjoys significantly more support from manager Mike
Matheny but is in his fourth tour at Class AAA Memphis and out of options after this season.

The Cardinals can go around the diamond and see alternatives.

The organization believes Matt Adams to be a viable option at first base next season, while also contemplating Allen Craig as an everyday presence.

After skipping a grade to open this season at Class AA, second baseman Kolten Wong is considered a probable presence on the parent club by 2014. David Freese, arbitration-eligible after this season, could be available but also could merit consideration for a multiyear extension, delaying his free agency by at least one year.

Memphis shortstop Ryan Jackson enjoys support within the system because of a plus glove, though his bat elicits questions at the next level.

Shortstop remains a position the club may attempt to fortify at the upcoming prep-heavy draft.

With Matt Holliday signed through at least 2016, the outfield opens for
players such as Craig and Taveras, who also projects as a flank
defender. Center field remains an area of interest for greater depth.

Catcher Yadier Molina's contract extension, signed this spring, placed him under contract through 2017.

Then there's center fielder Colby Rasmus' standing as poster boy for player development under Luhnow. Rasmus flamed out amid a firestorm of clubhouse intrigue, parental involvement and back-channel communication.
But it's fair to say the Cardinals would not have reached the postseason, forget the World Series, without making the Rasmus trade.

The Cardinals believe it an accomplishment that they retain one lefthanded reliever, Marc Rzepczynski, and several resulting draft selections as a dividend from the three-team trade that sent Rasmus to the Toronto Blue Jays last summer. It is a strange metamorphosis regarding a player who moved numerous analysts to write highly of him before and during his first two major-league seasons.

The Cardinals projected Mitchell Boggs as a starting pitcher until La Russa and Duncan correctly diagnosed his hard assortment was more appropriate for a relief role.

Though they retained only two first-round draft picks - Tyler Greene and Class AAA infielder Pete Kozma - from before 2009, the Cardinals have also enjoyed high return from lower selections. Last season's club featured Jon Jay, Daniel Descalso and Craig in prominent roles.

Jay, a second-round selection in 2006, emerged from Rasmus' shadow. Descalso, a third-rounder in 2007, became a fixture after replacing injured utility man Nick Punto last spring and outperforming Greene during the season's first month.

Craig, selected in the eighth round in 2006, has yet to play 100 games in a major league season because of injuries but is seen as a force-in-waiting, especially after generating three game-winning RBIs during last October's World Series.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #165
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Bills got lit up today. Dodgers can't afford him to play like last year.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #166
houghtam
Ring of Famer

I ****ing hate the Rangers.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #167
Shananahan

Have they figured out what kind of chemicals Alfredo Aceves was huffing yesterday?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #168
bombay
Ring of Famer

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=16628

Baseball Prospectus copied me on the Albertross' chase rate.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #169
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

this isn't a bad read...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-...llection-.html

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #170
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Matt Kemp with a walkoff HR in the 10th inning....his 11th HR on the year.

Dodgers 4 Nationals 3

19 year old Bryce Harper made his big league debut tonight.

1 for 3 with a double and a sac fly.

Stephen Strasburg with another impressive outing.

7 innings 1 ER 0 BB 9 Ks....no decision, but a 1.13 ERA on the year.

Washington's future is bright.

Bryce Harper seems to be a little immature, but he is only 19 years old.

Hopefully, he will keep his head on straight, as he is an awesome talent.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #171
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
That was a good read....thanks for posting it.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #172
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

13-8 and still sitting atop the AL East. Go O's!

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #173
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Matt Kemp with a walkoff HR in the 10th inning....his 11th HR on the year.

Dodgers 4 Nationals 3
I'm beginning to think that Kemp met the Devil at the crossroads.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #174
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Kemp with number 12 on the year.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #175
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Another rare sighting....Angels won. CJ Wilson wins #3. Pujols with zero HRs...still.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote