The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Ring of Fame Threads
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 PM   #1
Sir Mawn

Default "I'm the greatest QB in the game today" - Peyton Manning

Tough to argue against him... although he's not my pick.

McNair.
Sir Mawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

Where did this come from? 3rd on my list.

1)Favre
2)McNair
3)Manning

Hell, after this cocky remark (If proven true) he'll fall to the bottom, more than likely underneath Koy Detmer.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
Mile High Shack
Ring of Famer

Cock-a-doodle-do

Dan Patrick asked him on that hot seat thing they do on sportscenter.

Peyton said if I didn't say I was you'd say, oh c'mon Peyton, you can say yourself.

so he did say himself.

hard to argue, overall he is probably the best right now. He doesn't have the best team around him, but I'd take him over Jake.
Mile High Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I would say he is the best pure QB in the game today... you can't deny him statistically. The only thing lacking from him in the Super Bowl championships... but hell, we really can't knock him for that because it took Elway so long to get his championships and I still thought of him as the best QB during his time. As for the comparison to McNair, I don't think its even close. Manning blows away McNairs numbers and the Colts also swept the Titans last year in head to head matchups. That was the whole reason Indy won the South division and the Titans did not.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #5
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc
I would say he is the best pure QB in the game today... you can't deny him statistically. The only thing lacking from him in the Super Bowl championships... but hell, we really can't knock him for that because it took Elway so long to get his championships and I still thought of him as the best QB during his time. As for the comparison to McNair, I don't think its even close. Manning blows away McNairs numbers and the Colts also swept the Titans last year in head to head matchups. That was the whole reason Indy won the South division and the Titans did not.
I agree. Peyton is the best by far.
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #6
NaptownChief
Donkeys Nightmare

Football Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc

Would agree with you on all accounts. He has been saddled with very poor defenses most of his career so far. If Dungy can muster up a top 15 defense for the next couple years I would fully expect him to bring Indy a ring, maybe two.

If McNair were saddled with the Colts D and Manning had the Titans the past several years Manning would probably have a ring or two and McNair's teams would struggle to sniff the playoffs. Just my worthless opinion however.
NaptownChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:49 PM   #7
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse

1)Favre
2)McNair
3)Manning

Hell, after this cocky remark (If proven true) he'll fall to the bottom, more than likely underneath Koy Detmer.
haha favre. neone else would have been castrated for throwing away a playoff game like he did. but no, not favre.
yavoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:53 PM   #8
ozomulsion
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The ladies man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse

1)Favre
2)McNair
3)Manning

I just busted a rib
ozomulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

i'd say that payton's the best right now.
this season i think mike vick will really turn his game up a notch, like to see how he woulda done over the course of a full season last year if he hadn't gotten hurt.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I agree with Vavoon and Naptown... although Favre is a great QB, I'll never say the greatest. He just has always had a knack for making a big mistake in crucial times. That INT against Philly in the playoffs last year was the most recent. All one needs to do is look back to Super Bowl 32. Greg Robinson called a great game and Denver totally forced Favre into some bad plays but Favre took a lot of chances and his team got burned because of it. He is a live by the gun/die by the gun type of QB. I doubt Favre wins another championship before he retires... that is just my feelings. He has lost the edge that he had early in his career and his skills have eroded to a point. Injuries are also becoming a factor. I'll be the first to admit being wrong if I am but I doubt Favre walks away with more then one ring.

As for Manning, Naptown I totally agree. If Manning had half a defense in Indy he would be bringing some rings to Indianapolis... the problem is with all the money tied up in him and probably EJ or Harrison this next year its going to be hard to ever build a top notch defense to help Manning get those rings. If there was a year to do it, it would be this season if they are going to win... I can see Indy winning this year but after this season its going to be dicey with all the potential free agents they have.

As for McNair, when I think of him, I just think of a very good QB that survives on grit. I don't really think of a great QB or even an MVP. He's fun to watch and he is definately tough but not in the class of a Manning or even a Tom Brady.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #11
Mtbrncofn
Ring of Famer

Cripes, why does a seemingly gracious guy gotta go and proclaim something like that? Don't these guys know about pride going before a fall?

I lose respect for players that pull this kind of crap. Try some humility.
Mtbrncofn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

If I was a coach I would want Tom Brady running my team.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:14 PM   #13
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Peyton will always struggle in the post season for two reasons. First, he has no mobility and he's unable to evade a strong pass rush. You have to be pretty lucky to make it through an entire post season without facing a killer defense. Second, he becomes far less effective when you rough him up a bit (like most quarterbacks).

I wouldn't be totally surprised if he finished Ringless, just like Marino, who had the same weaknesses.
-Slap- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #14
Exile_In_SJ
Ring of Famer

If I'm starting a team, I take Peyton to build around, easily the best QB in the league now, but I'd not pass Tom Brady over because of his intangibles.

McNair and Favre don't have enough gas left in the tank to be good much longer.

McNabb and Vick are alot of show but not much go...
Exile_In_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:19 PM   #15
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Donovan McNabb will definitely win a Super Bowl before Peyton Manning.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:23 PM   #16
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Slap-
mcnabb isnt close the qb manning is. mcnabb might win first, but football is a team sport.

and plenty of immobile qb's have won the superbowl. infact its a near friggin tradition, lets see.

dilfer, warner, brady, johnson, brady. maybe u should argue the other way around, that if u can't really and truly pass the ball and u end up relying on things like scrambling, that defense is just too intense in the playoffs to win consistently.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:29 PM   #17
vnillathunda
Solid Starter

The shot heard around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca
i'd say that payton's the best right now.
this season i think Michael Vick will really turn his game up a notch, like to see how he woulda done over the course of a full season last year if he hadn't gotten hurt.

I would take Vick over Payton any day.. Payton is a little b!
vnillathunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:32 PM   #18
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavoon
mcnabb isnt close the qb manning is. mcnabb might win first, but football is a team sport.

and plenty of immobile qb's have won the superbowl. infact its a near friggin tradition, lets see.

dilfer, warner, brady, johnson, brady. maybe u should argue the other way around, that if u can't really and truly pass the ball and u end up relying on things like scrambling, that defense is just too intense in the playoffs to win consistently.
Those guys don't fold up when you bloody their noses.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:35 PM   #19
yavoon
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Those guys don't fold up when you bloody their noses.
yah, ok. if u say so.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:39 PM   #20
vnillathunda
Solid Starter

The shot heard around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by yavoon

Times are changing, its a new erra in football, why would you not want a mobile qb?
vnillathunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:41 PM   #21
-Slap-
Ring of Famer

Manning has Harrison and Edge, but his playoff record is deplorable. McNabb has had a collection of garbage at the skill positions on offense and he gets to the NFC Championship Game every year.

You probably thought Marino was better than Elway, too. Stats shake out about the same in both cases.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:42 PM   #22
Spider
Mr Diplomacy

I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Top QB's in the NFL right now .........
1. Tom Brady - Say what you want about this guy , he just seems to get the job done ... I like the way Brady reads a defense , and his decision making is outstanding ........ My knock on Brady is he makes Griese look fast running ......
2. Steve McNair - Dude is a warrior , Not the prettiest QB you will see throw the Ball , but Steve will find away to get it done even if he has to run you over to do it .......
3. David Carr - this Pick will have some scratching thier heads , but I like Carrs style , he has enough Arm , guts and determination , he just has to harness it ..........
4.Peyton Manning - Simply the best passer in the NFL , but Manning doesnt let the flow of the game happen , with all of his audibles and hand gestures . I think Manning out thinks himself and his offense on more then 1 occasion per game ......
Thats my take on the Qb's
QB worth mentioning is Brett Farve , he is old but I think he has another season in the tank ...........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:45 PM   #23
TheManeMan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Manning has Harrison and Edge, but his playoff record is deplorable. McNabb has had a collection of garbage at the skill positions on offense and he gets to the NFC Championship Game every year.

Because of his Defense...nothing more...nothing less...
TheManeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #24
Exile_In_SJ
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Who was that goober from fresno state that won a superbowl.. played for the ravens.

Heck Doug Williams won a superbowl before John Elway, but who was the better quarterback? So did phil simms... big deal....

Montana won 4 Elway 2, but Elway was the better QB..
Exile_In_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #25
Sassy
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

I'd take Jake's attitude over Peyton's anyday!
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote