The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
txtebow
WARRIOR

Crash the plane HOGAN!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Requiem
Default Video of the Greg william's coordinated Redskins defense that initially hurt Manning's neck

Dirty as He*&........
txtebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

supposedly this is the hit that started the neck thing...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Wow...they tried to yoke it off. :-)

Here's my take on the bounty scandle. I think it's BS. These guys are professionals. Do they really need a couple hundred bucks more to play hard? Please.

Now, playing cheap...is just that, playing cheap. That's why the NFL has 10,000 rules to protect the QB's. Defenses pay the price as in penalties, suspensions, and fines if they break the rules.

I think this whole bounty fiasco, is hugely blown out of proportion. And if it wasn't for the class action concussion lawsuit...I think the NFL would kindly turn the other cheek!

This is tackle football...not powder puff! Now, I'm reading that they want to eliminate kickoffs all together. Simply, so nobody gets a boo-boo. Pretty soon they'll all be wearing flags!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Pretty sure the highly paid individuals who were paid to investigate the scandal and spend months doing so would disagree with your extremely informed and well thought out 'it's BS' argument. I'm surprised they just didn't come to you in the first place.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post

Now, playing cheap...is just that, playing cheap. That's why the NFL has 10,000 rules to protect the QB's. Defenses pay the price as in penalties, suspensions, and fines if they break the rules.
I think it's less about money than it is about status among their peers and approval from the coaches. Forcing an opponent from the game with an injury earned a Gregg Williams defender respect and honor. You'd be amazed what some people will do for respect and honor.

The money angle is totally against NFL rules, btw...
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
DENVERDUI55

My highschool coaches talked like Williams. All teams doing same stuff I bet.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Ah yes, gotta love the "these guys are getting paid millions to play a violent game, so they should be ok with being subjected to cheap shots - what a bunch of pansies" argument.

I love how quickly people who have never played a down in their life are ready to dismiss encouraging injuries as "part of the game".
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
Drunken.Broncoholic

Theres a difference between tackling someone with all your power, and flat out blasting someone in certain vulnerable spots on the body on purpose to destroy their health.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Yet, without Greg Williams there is no Peyton Manning in Denver.

*Slow Clap* Cheers, Gregory. Have fun on the couch this year. And... forever.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #10
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportinOne View Post
Yet, without Greg Williams there is no Peyton Manning in Denver.

*Slow Clap* Cheers, Gregory. Have fun on the couch this year. And... forever.
wow... nice linkage... I love you Greg!
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Thanks Greg!
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Wow...they tried to yoke it off. :-)

Here's my take on the bounty scandle. I think it's BS. These guys are professionals. Do they really need a couple hundred bucks more to play hard? Please.

I think this whole bounty fiasco, is hugely blown out of proportion. And if it wasn't for the class action concussion lawsuit...I think the NFL would kindly turn the other cheek!

This is tackle football...not powder puff! Now, I'm reading that they want to eliminate kickoffs all together. Simply, so nobody gets a boo-boo. Pretty soon they'll all be wearing flags!
While i agree with you...you don't try to intentionally hurt another player. Taking out a guys knee or neck in this case. It has no place in the sport or any other. What happened to the Saints and Greg Williams is what needed to be done!
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Yep that was a high low, lets try and hurt the guy tackle. But that is football.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Dear Broncos Oline,
If you see this happen to Manning again you chop block the DT's knee on the next play.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Pretty sure the highly paid individuals who were paid to investigate the scandal and spend months doing so would disagree with your extremely informed and well thought out 'it's BS' argument. I'm surprised they just didn't come to you in the first place.
I bet your a soccer player? This is football....try to knock that guy into tomorrow!!! Yes, I want to hurt him...I want to knock him the FK out! If you don't think that's how Romo played, and Butkus played, and Tatum played....you don't know sht about football!!

Sure, all of these players are saying the right things...so, that they're wallets are protected.

This commissioner is trying to make the NFL into a non-contact sport!

"I just wanted to knock his head off...I mean, I didn't want to hurt him" What?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #16
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Theres a difference between tackling someone with all your power, and flat out blasting someone in certain vulnerable spots on the body on purpose to destroy their health.
That's why there are rules! If they cheap shot...they get flagged, or kicked out of the game, or suspended and fined.

That's good enough!!!

But, not all football players are Tim Tebow folks!!! Thank goodness!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Are there any Broncos historians around here. I remember when we played the steelers in 77-78 and Mean Joe Green was poking his fingers in guys eyes. There was all kinds of crazy stuff going on. Nobody ran home to mommy back then!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #18
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post
Dear Broncos Oline,
If you see this happen to Manning again you chop block the DT's knee on the next play.
and the next play, and the play after that and the play after that and keep going until he leaves the game.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Are there any Broncos historians around here. I remember when we played the steelers in 77-78 and Mean Joe Green was poking his fingers in guys eyes. There was all kinds of crazy stuff going on. Nobody ran home to mommy back then!
You're ignorant.

I'm not sure Darryl Stingley would have called outlawing hits like Tatum doled out "running home crying to mommy".

Your earlier reference to the concussion lawsuit falls flat, because since football has anti-trust protection, if they don't self-govern, the US government will step in. It's the same reason the government got involved in steroids in baseball and labor disputes.

Speaking of the concussion lawsuit, I doubt you'll find many of the former players in the class who would take kindly to being called sissies. I guess Captain Internet doesn't need to worry what a living breathing person thinks as long as he's got that big bad screen to hide behind and show everyone how macho he is by spouting off about it on a message board.

Tell Dave Duerson's family that he's a sissy to their face. I'm sure they'd have a few choice words for you.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
It doesn't matter what happened in 77-78. The game has evolved since then, and so has our consciousness about the health of these guys. There is no need to see a quarterback ripped in two like that, any more than there is a need for someone to have their eyes poked by Mean Joe Green. Being cheap isn't what makes this game a beautiful sport. Skill and cunning mixed with power is what does that.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #21
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
Being cheap isn't what makes this game a beautiful sport.
If cheap were beautiful, Cortland Finnegan would be sexy as all hell.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:44 PM   #22
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
If cheap were beautiful, Cortland Finnegan would be sexy as all hell.

I'm sure Rams fans will keep that in mind, but it has nothing to do with this thread - or anything really.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/78...mitted-suicide

Yet another player with documented mental issues caused by his playing days who took his own life.

Very sad.

And still there will be idiots who tow the "it's part of the game" line.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
And still there will be idiots who tow the "it's part of the game" line.
Thing is, it's the truth.

The game was brutal back then and we didn't know the things we do know.

So them suing on account of stuff happening now for an era of inferior medicine is laughable.

It's not fair, but that's reality.

We had Child Labor in the 1900's. Those people are all dead.

Had it been a few decades later, they'd be suing right now for the health hazards, etc. We're a sue happy society.

I find the entire situation pathetic.

That said, in the NFL's shoes I would in fact try to get some money allocated to help some of the ex players. I'd expect the NFLPA to do the same (if not more) though, including all current players. The players this era make hand over fist more money than their predecessors after all. That's not very fair!

Wonder what they'd think about that though.

Messy situation.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #25
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
The game was brutal back then and we didn't know the things we do know.
My understanding is that the players are not suing because they got injured, they're suing because they're claiming that the NFL knew the long-term side effects of these sorts of things (especially concussions), and not only kept that info from the players, but encouraged them to get back on the field before they were healthy.