The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
ghwk
Ring of Famer

DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin
Default American Desperado - America's Cocaine Kingpin

Anyone read this book by Evan Wright? I'm halfway through and as appalled as I am by what this guy was involved with I can't put it down. Jon Roberts was the Cocaine king of our day serving as the mover in the US for the Medellin cartel. He grew up in the mafia following in his fathers footsteps after watching him blow a guys head off because he wouldn't back his car off a bridge and let them go first. Here are a couple of excerpts:

"The main thing for the Outcasts when I started with them was fighting. They liked to fight the football players or go to popular kids’ parties and beat them up. Dominic* was the Outcast who taught me to fight. His belief was: To give a beating, you got to take a beating. You learn to take pain so it doesn’t make you curl up or run. We’d go in his basement, and all the Outcasts would beat the **** out of me. They beat me with their hands, with pool cues, belts, chair legs. Then they taught me how to use those tools properly.

Bat fighting was the big one. Once you get your guy on the ground, the first thing you need to do is reverse your grip. Point the bat down like you’re grinding herbs in a mortar and pestle. Pump it up and down on the person. Focus on taking out the knees, elbows, and hands. After that, they ain’t running. Now you can take your time cracking their ribs, busting their balls — anything you want. When you got a bat, you’re king."

"When we had parties at the clubs, Andy and me started spiking the punch with LSD. We’d have these old mustached wiseguys show up, and we thought it was hilarious to get them high on acid. At one of these parties, we dumped handfuls of LSD blotter paper into the punch. “This is going to be the funniest **** ever,” Andy said. No old wiseguys came, but Ed Sullivan showed up. First thing he did was take a cup of LSD punch. He walked around chatting like normal. Then his face got a wild look. He grabbed at something in the air that didn’t exist and held the walls with his hands. We sent a whore over to ask what he was feeling. He went paranoid on her. He yelled, “Who are you?” He stepped closer and put his hand on her tit. He started twisting it like a doorknob. Andy and me got a brainstorm: If we could get Ed Sullivan ****ing the whore on film, we could blackmail him. I told her to take him into the back room. Me and Andy peeked in. The whore took her boobies out of her shirt so Sullivan could play with them, but when she tried to get him undressed, he freaked. He went into the corner and started crying."

Here is where it is football related

" And through his friendship with Dolphins running back Mercury Morris, Roberts became the unofficial supplier of choice to the NFL, hosting cocaine- and whore-packed blowouts at his home for the likes of O.J. Simpson and, on the eve of their 1979 Super Bowl win, a significant portion of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ starting lineup"

This guy knew everyone and describes the judges lawers politicians etc that were and probably still are on the take. Bebe Rebozo would get access to have military fighetrs fly fresh crab and lobster from Miami to Calif because of his power and access to Nixon.

One of the most memorable quotes is where he says we are all just commoners and we have no idea what goes on in the world. After reading the book I think he is right.

Last edited by ghwk; 04-03-2012 at 04:20 PM..
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

this shiz is crazy, i dont enjoy reading books like this probably because id rather be naive to it.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

The excerpts don't even come close to covering it....
Old 04-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Documentary on it:

El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

wow
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Cocaine cowboys was an awesome doc. Very well done.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Anyone read this book by Evan Wright? I'm halfway through and as appalled as I am by what this guy was involved with I can't put it down. Jon Roberts was the Cocaine king of our day serving as the mover in the US for the Medellin cartel. He grew up in the mafia following in his fathers footsteps after watching him blow a guys head off because he wouldn't back his car off a bridge and let them go first. Here are a couple of excerpts:

"The main thing for the Outcasts when I started with them was fighting. They liked to fight the football players or go to popular kids’ parties and beat them up. Dominic* was the Outcast who taught me to fight. His belief was: To give a beating, you got to take a beating. You learn to take pain so it doesn’t make you curl up or run. We’d go in his basement, and all the Outcasts would beat the **** out of me. They beat me with their hands, with pool cues, belts, chair legs. Then they taught me how to use those tools properly.

Bat fighting was the big one. Once you get your guy on the ground, the first thing you need to do is reverse your grip. Point the bat down like you’re grinding herbs in a mortar and pestle. Pump it up and down on the person. Focus on taking out the knees, elbows, and hands. After that, they ain’t running. Now you can take your time cracking their ribs, busting their balls — anything you want. When you got a bat, you’re king."

"When we had parties at the clubs, Andy and me started spiking the punch with LSD. We’d have these old mustached wiseguys show up, and we thought it was hilarious to get them high on acid. At one of these parties, we dumped handfuls of LSD blotter paper into the punch. “This is going to be the funniest **** ever,” Andy said. No old wiseguys came, but Ed Sullivan showed up. First thing he did was take a cup of LSD punch. He walked around chatting like normal. Then his face got a wild look. He grabbed at something in the air that didn’t exist and held the walls with his hands. We sent a whore over to ask what he was feeling. He went paranoid on her. He yelled, “Who are you?” He stepped closer and put his hand on her tit. He started twisting it like a doorknob. Andy and me got a brainstorm: If we could get Ed Sullivan ****ing the whore on film, we could blackmail him. I told her to take him into the back room. Me and Andy peeked in. The whore took her boobies out of her shirt so Sullivan could play with them, but when she tried to get him undressed, he freaked. He went into the corner and started crying."

Here is where it is football related

" And through his friendship with Dolphins running back Mercury Morris, Roberts became the unofficial supplier of choice to the NFL, hosting cocaine- and whore-packed blowouts at his home for the likes of O.J. Simpson and, on the eve of their 1979 Super Bowl win, a significant portion of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ starting lineup"

This guy knew everyone and describes the judges lawers politicians etc that were and probably still are on the take. Bebe Rebozo would get access to have military fighetrs fly fresh crab and lobster from Miami to Calif because of his power and access to Nixon.

One of the most memorable quotes is where he says we are all just commoners and we have no idea what goes on in the world. After reading the book I think he is right.
I watched the NFLN America's Game on the '77 Cowboys, only in the last couple years have I been able to rewatch SB XXII so when this came on I thought I would check it out.

Hollywood Henderson admitted to being a coke head while he was playing and a couple other guys hinted to being involved in the "lifestyle" of the time and going to parties at clubs.

Coke was everywhere in the late 70's and most of the 80's.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

GANGNAM STYLE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

I bought the book and couldn't put it down. Was fascinating.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #9
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

He tells one story where he put OJ on a plane on a Sunday morning absolutely catatonic on coke and tells the stewardess to feed him coffee on the flight back to Buffalo. I wonder if OJ played in that game or not.

On the less humorous side he also tells of skinning the Vietcong alive while hanging from their ankles from a tree. I guess after your skin peels off your eyes still move.

That was a tough story to read.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
Documentary on it:

I just noticed I got "Limelight - The rise and fall of the NY's greatest nightclub empire" from the library today. It was made by the dudes who did the Cocaine Cowboys Doc.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Thanks for the heads about this book.

If half of those stories are true, he lived one crazy life.

Very good read.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #12
Jason in LA
Gimmie that rep fool!

Speaking of Butts & Boob Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Minion View Post
Documentary on it:

That is worth seeing. Really good.
Jason in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #13
DenverBound
Perennial Pro-bowler

CotY

Anyone know where I can find a digital copy that would be compatie with my iPhone or iPad?
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
Anyone know where I can find a digital copy that would be compatie with my iPhone or iPad?
Kindle App?
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

nothing in those excerpts really shocks me. i've been told stories by people who used to be in that life. not the higher ups but the middling types, it's not for the faint of heart and not something i'd ever want to do.

you live your life with a lot of regrets and demons once you get that far gone.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote