The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #976
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

i hear that My Sweet Saga by Brett Sills was damn good
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #977
Slightly Soiled
Angling for VP.

Mitt watch this!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gerald Willhite

HP Lovecraft is kind of my current obsession. I also enjoy historical fiction ie "Vlad"- about the rise and fall of The "real" Dracula.
Slightly Soiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #978
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I picked up "Just kids" from the library.

Not into Maplethorp's "art" but I am into French lit and so is Patty Smith. She is a pretty good writer and it is entertaining so far. I like how she compares her bohemian late 60's life to her favorite French authors.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #979
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
I am currently reading the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind.

Just started but pretty good so far.
My condolences.

Seriously though, those books get real repetitive. I barely managed to slog through them taking many long breaks between books and still only managed to make it through "Confessor" (the last book at the time). When I heard there were more on the way I cried a little. Never did get back into them.

Hopefully you'll enjoy them more than I did.

On another note, seeing as I am nearly done with the "Chanur" books, I headed to the library. No list, no expectations and found several new (or at least new to me) books. "Ghost" and "Firefly" by Piers Anthony who may not be the worlds bet writer, but he is entertaining. "Blindsight" (the one I'm starting next, sounds wayyyyyy too good), "Starfish" and "Maelstrom" by Peter Watts. I've never read anything by him before so I may be taking two of them back if the first one sucks, but they all sound good. I'll let you all know if his stuff's worth reading.
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #980
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Currently reading Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell. His first published book I believe. It could easily be depressing but it's not... it's fascinating, colourful and in a way comforting so far... it's even sometimes funny.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #981
No1BroncoFan
Old School

"Ghost" and "Firefly" sucked ass! Piers Anthony's characters had all the depth of spilled beer and the plots were tiresome. Ugh! Majorly disappointing from a guy who's usually so fun to read.

"Blindsight," "Starfish," "Maelstrom," "Behemoth: B-Max" and "Behemoth: Seppouku" by Peter Watts were amazing. "Blindsight" is a stand alone novel about in-system space travel with a vampire captain, the rest are 4 parts in a trilogy (the publisher required Mr. Watts to publish the third volume as two books or kill the story by hacking out a third) about an ancient viral life-form that has survived in the deep ocean trenches and what happens when it gets loose. These were easily some of the best new fiction I've read in the last decade.

I also picked up "Omnitopia Dawn" by Diane Duane and the Moonlight bay books by Dean Koontz ("Fear Nothing" and "Seize the Night"). The one by Diane Duane was pretty good. A story that's been done before, but dressed up in a fresh set of clothes it all worked well. The Moonlight Bay books are a third or fourth re-read for me.

Up next:
"The Final Judgement" by Richard North Patterson and "The Wheel of Darkness" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, both new to me purchases from the thrift store. I've also got a few others I picked up at the library that I can't remember the names of.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #982
Jay3

I think it was somebody here that recommended Ready Player One (a futuristic quest/mystery that depends on knowing a lot of 80's pop culture trivia). If it was, thanks. Reading it and enjoying now.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #983
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

A facsinating read about human origins.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #984
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

We dumped satellite TV almost 2 months ago, so I've been reading so much more than I used to. I read the Thrawn Trilogy (Star Wars books, but definitely have the feel of the original Trilogy), and I read a couple of Harlan Coben books (Long Lost and Caught) and am just starting Live Wire. Probably going to read Ender's Game next and picked up a few more Timothy Zahn books (more Star Wars) for after that.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #985
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
I am currently reading the Sword of Truth books by Terry Goodkind.

Just started but pretty good so far.
STOP after the first! I repeat STOP after the first!

The first is decent, if a bit derivative. An excellent self contained character driven story. Then Goodkind decided to expand the universe into an "epic" in which he introduces an entirely new plot. That's fine, it happens a lot.

The real problem is that along the way he stops writing a story and starts preaching. Several of the books are nothing more than a enormous rants about his political and philosophical positions in which he constructs a society that embodies a straw man for him to easily beat on. Faith of the Fallen is about 950 pages of rant and 50 pages of actual story. There is absolutely zero progression of the series plot despite the story lasting almost 2 years for the characters. I could summarize that book in less than 20 words. The next two books are similarly constructed. He seems to think this makes his books "literary".

They also become increasingly self repetitive. The same basic story happens:

1.) Richard and Kahlan start off happy after succeeding in the last book.
2.) Richard and Kahlan are separated by the forces of evil in the current book
2a.) Richard and Kahlan go all emo about being separated and question each other's love.
3.) Richard and Kahlan overcome the evil and are reunited learning that all along everything was OK between them!

I think Goodkind has some serious abandonment/relationship issues =P

Last edited by Fedaykin; 03-24-2012 at 06:04 PM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #986
uplink
Ring of Famer

just read "A Prayer for Own Meany". I define good art as things you never will forget, I think I'll always remember the characters in this book.
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:10 AM   #987
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
i hear that My Sweet Saga by Brett Sills was damn good
Actually I just started that book, it's pretty hilarious. I highly recommend it, even if the author is kind of a punk ass.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #988
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss I. View Post
Actually I just started that book, it's pretty hilarious. I highly recommend it, even if the author is kind of a punk ass.
Everything in this post=completely true!
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #989
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Just finished Cormac McCarthy's Child of God. I'm going back through his books, reading the ones I've missed. Weird little book.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #990
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

spy novels - (2 weeks worth here)

Boneman's Daughters - Ted Dekker
Edge - Jeff Deaver (this guy can spin a tale like few others)

Alex Cross books by James Patterson
(Along came a Spider and kiss the girls)

just saw "Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" - great casting, and followed the book almost verbatim (except for Harriet's location - they left out New Zealand)

3 weeks ago read Godfather - Mario Puzo. The screen plays were lifted directly from the book - fun read, since I've seen the movies about a dozen times.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #991
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

I finished a Robert Heinlein book I started 30 years ago, I thought it would be worth the effort, sadly it was not, I should have picked a different Heinlein book to start back in HS.

I am close to finishing a Bio on Bix Biderbecke by Ralph Berton which was very entertaining though it was a mix between Bix and Berton family bio but I didn't mind because I didn't know about Gene and Vic Berton before reading this book. I highly recommend it if you want to read a Jazz Bio.

I have a bunch of technical reading to catch up with that I am not looking forward to.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #992
HooptyHoops
We need a DE

C'mon D

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Just finished The Shack by WM. Paul Young - best book I've read in the past couple of years!
HooptyHoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #993
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1BroncoFan View Post
My condolences.

Seriously though, those books get real repetitive. I barely managed to slog through them taking many long breaks between books and still only managed to make it through "Confessor" (the last book at the time). When I heard there were more on the way I cried a little. Never did get back into them.

Hopefully you'll enjoy them more than I did.
You might want to finish the series. The middle ones are repetitive and preachy (though I still enjoyed them, I think I have more patience than most) but in the end it wraps up quite nicely and in a way I certainly wasn't expecting.

Last edited by snowspot66; 04-02-2012 at 09:35 PM..
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #994
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

I am currently reading "In The Fullness Of Time", by Vincent Nicolosi. It is a fictional book about the architect of the Warren G. Harding memorial. it is set at the time of the JFK assassination. The main character attempts to draw parallels between JFK and Harding...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #995
Shananahan

Since February:

This was awesome. I was disappointed in that it really does stop, almost abruptly, shortly after 9/11, but the amount of research and background that went into this book is pretty impressive.

Enjoyed this. At times her writing was a little too experimental for my taste, but at other times it's almost downright brilliant. It reminded me of some of those Wayside Stories books, only for messed up adults.

Definitely no Middlesex, but I like his style nonetheless. Romances aren't my normal genre of choice.

I've read a ton of books since last summer. Too many to list. The best book I read in that time was Mailer's The Naked and The Dead. Easily one of the most enjoyable reading experiences I've had and one of my favorite books in the past five years. It's long as hell, but worth it.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #996
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

I just finished The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perlotta. Pretty poor, imo, and reminded me why I rarely read novels. He hashed his way through a tired old story line; small town divided by a religious/secular rift, with characters who amount to nothing more than stick figures and straw men.

I read it because the author is going to be speaking at a literary festival in town and I wanted to be able to ask some questions about his work. The only question I have for him now is, "How do you find an agent who can get extremely mediocre work published"?

Reading A Comedy of Errors now. I always go to Shakespeare to wash off the taste of a bad literary experience.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #997
No1BroncoFan
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowspot66 View Post
You might want to finish the series. The middle ones are repetitive and preachy (though I still enjoyed them, I think I have more patience than most) but in the end it wraps up quite nicely and in a way I certainly wasn't expecting.
No thanks. Time is too precious for bad fiction. There are far too many better stories and better writers out there.

Glad you enjoyed them though.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #998
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

Just finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry which was good. If not for the character of Gus McCrae I wouldn't have liked it as much.

Currently reading Shogun by James Clavelle and loving it.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #999
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow

(thread hijack)
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #1000
ghwk