The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 12:28 AM   #2726
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
4 years $90M.

Take it or leave it.
It would not surprise me at all for him to sign with Denver. However, I call BS on the notion that Elway's main motivation for chasing Manning is that it allows him to escape Tebow. No winning. Not getting to the SB. Not having a HOF QB. His main motivation for paying $90MM is that he can ship Tebow off.
bigbucks24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #2727
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbucks24 View Post
It would not surprise me at all for him to sign with Denver. However, I call BS on the notion that Elway's main motivation for chasing Manning is that it allows him to escape Tebow. No winning. Not getting to the SB. Not having a HOF QB. His main motivation for paying $90MM is that he can ship Tebow off.
No, thats not it.

John Elway was hired to win a Superbowl. Thats what he's aiming to do. It just so happens Peyton Manning is on the market, and the Broncos have a boatload of money.

Time to ride.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #2728
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
I think there may be 2 separate points in what Montrose was saying.

Point #1... whenever there's any possibility of acquiring a future first-ballot HOF QB, especially without the need to compensate his old team, then it's just business to pursue that option.

Point #2... if we don't win "the Manning Sweepstakes", I don't think it's a reach to presume that we're still going to be going a different direction than "with Tebow" in the near future. Tebow may one day develop into a fine young QB but right now his skill set doesn't fit the offensive scheme EFX wants to run. Everything they've said and done points this way.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #2729
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
I think there may be 2 separate points in what Montrose was saying.

Point #1... whenever there's any possibility of acquiring a future first-ballot HOF QB, especially without the need to compensate his old team, then it's just business to pursue that option.

Point #2... if we don't win "the Manning Sweepstakes", I don't think it's a reach to presume that we're still going to be going a different direction than "with Tebow" in the near future. Tebow may one day develop into a fine young QB but right now his skill set doesn't fit the offensive scheme EFX wants to run. Everything they've said and done points this way.
Here is what montrose said:
Quote:
But my understanding is the chief reason behing the motivation is it gives football operations an opportunity to make a move with the incumbent without needing to justify it to ownership and customers.
He isn't saying it is good business. He isn't saying that he is moving in another direction so Peyton makes sense. He is saying his chief motivation for chasing Manning is to help him get rid of Tebow. Am I reading this incorrectly?
Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #2730
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
No, thats not it.

John Elway was hired to win a Superbowl. Thats what he's aiming to do. It just so happens Peyton Manning is on the market, and the Broncos have a boatload of money.

Time to ride.
Please go back and read the posts by montrose. He is saying the exact opposite. I agree with your take on this, but that is contrary to montrose. It's that contention on which I call BS.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #2731
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Here is what montrose said:

He isn't saying it is good business. He isn't saying that he is moving in another direction so Peyton makes sense. He is saying his chief motivation for chasing Manning is to help him get rid of Tebow. Am I reading this incorrectly?
Montrose is correct in noting that "moving" a highly-popular player can carry risks of fan backlash unless the fan base perceives that it's for the greater good. Regardless of Tebow's popularity, most of the fanbase is going to view Manning as "an upgrade"... and there will be no QB controversy (due to the status of a proven QB like Manning) even if both QBs were kept. But signing Manning would make Broncos fans in general more accepting of the notion of the possibility of trading Tebow.

My personal opinion is that the opportunity to sign a player of the caliber of Manning... one that will instantly make the team better... is too tempting to pass up. But if doing it means that they also have the option of trading a player that they don't believe fits into their plans, then from their perspective, that would also be a benefit, I suppose.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:07 AM   #2732
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Montrose is correct in noting that "moving" a highly-popular player can carry risks of fan backlash unless the fan base perceives that it's for the greater good. Regardless of Tebow's popularity, most of the fanbase is going to view Manning as "an upgrade"... and there will be no QB controversy (due to the status of a proven QB like Manning) even if both QBs were kept. But signing Manning would make Broncos fans in general more accepting of the notion of the possibility of trading Tebow.

My personal opinion is that the opportunity to sign a player of the caliber of Manning... one that will instantly make the team better... is too tempting to pass up. But if doing it means that they also have the option of trading a player that they don't believe fits into their plans, then from their perspective, that would also be a benefit, I suppose.
I completely agree with you. If you get a chance to upgrade, you do it. If that upgrade gives you the chance to get out from underneath a very popular player that doesn't fit into your future plans, all the better. I just don't believe that the "chief" motivation in chasing Manning was to get rid of said popular player. I think the main motivation was Elway wanting to upgrade the most important position in sports with a HOF QB in an attempt to win a SB. Anyone claiming that they have inside information or a "hunch" to the contrary, is spewing BS, in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #2733
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
I completely agree with you. If you get a chance to upgrade, you do it. If that upgrade gives you the chance to get out from underneath a very popular player that doesn't fit into your future plans, all the better. I just don't believe that the "chief" motivation in chasing Manning was to get rid of said popular player. I think the main motivation was Elway wanting to upgrade the most important position in sports with a HOF QB in an attempt to win a SB. Anyone claiming that they have inside information or a "hunch" to the contrary, is spewing BS, in my opinion.
Montrose... as he noted... just might be doing some "venting". Major changes can mean frustration when a "given" poster doesn't necessarily agree with the direction the team's taking. While it's exciting to even imagine how good this team could be with Manning under center, some fans are going to feel disappointment that the side effect of signing him would be that another player they love (Tebow) will either be traded to another team or holding a clipboard.

And in reality... if Tebow isn't going to have a chance to play... it's a valid question if maybe the draft pick we'd get via trading him... might. And might even make a positive impact for the team now and in the future.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #2734
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Montrose... as he noted... just might be doing some "venting". Major changes can mean frustration when a "given" poster doesn't necessarily agree with the direction the team's taking. While it's exciting to even imagine how good this team could be with Manning under center, some fans are going to feel disappointment that the side effect of signing him would be that another player they love (Tebow) will either be traded to another team or holding a clipboard.

And in reality... if Tebow isn't going to have a chance to play... it's a valid question if maybe the draft pick we'd get via trading him... might. And might even make a positive impact for the team now and in the future.
If your job is to spin montrose's BS into something plausible and make it that he is a good old boy that was just frustrated, so be it. I called BS on his assertion of Elway's main motivation. I was told he had inside sources and he claimed it was a "hunch" though it was stated as fact. I will try to refrain from calling out regular posters in the future. A noob should know his place.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #2735
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
If your job is to spin montrose's BS into something plausible and make it that he is a good old boy that was just frustrated, so be it. I called BS on his assertion of Elway's main motivation. I was told he had inside sources and he claimed it was a "hunch" though it was stated as fact. I will try to refrain from calling out regular posters in the future. A noob should know his place.
My "job"? Uh... no. That's merely my take on the situation. Which might be right or might be... wildly inaccurate.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:39 AM   #2736
bigbucks24
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
My "job"? Uh... no. That's merely my take on the situation. Which might be right or might be... wildly inaccurate.
We seem to have the same take on the situation. That is what it makes is so perplexing. We agree, but you still defend montrose and his take, which conflicts with your take. Maybe you just try to being harmony to the board. If you do, you have a lot of work to do! I'll go back to lurking.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 AM   #2737
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
We seem to have the same take on the situation. That is what it makes is so perplexing. We agree, but you still defend montrose and his take, which conflicts with your take. Maybe you just try to being harmony to the board. If you do, you have a lot of work to do! I'll go back to lurking.
I do like Montrose... and like you too. It's all good.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #2738
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Elway was an elite QB. He see's how Superbowl winners usually have a top end QB. He doesn't think Tebow is. That is really all you have to know. He can't pass up Manning. He is prewired to want a QB like that.

Its a smart move. Its risky no doubt, but Elway never played it safe as a player.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #2739
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

By the way for all the dumbasses out there $90m over 4 years is actually $22.5m a season and not $25m.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #2740
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
By the way for all the dumbasses out there $90m over 4 years is actually $22.5m a season and not $25m.
Well at least we can narrow down who left this
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #2741
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Not to mention it probably has like a 10 million dollar roster bonus to start each offseason or something right? It wont be a base salary of that right? Most likely if he plays and stays healthy he will make tons of money. If not he makes a lot of money.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #2742
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:

If Bud Adams has his way, $22.5 mil will be a bargain...

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:52 AM   #2743
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Wait. So let me get this straight, it's Peyton not Cooper Manning we are trying to acquire? Well damn, then why did I sleep with Cooper? Oops
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:53 AM   #2744
ghostofjosh

read 4 for 90 45 mil guarenteed and peyton putting an injury clause in to let us off hook if neck flares up
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #2745
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

As of right now I can get 5/1 on the Titans signing Peyton over here in the UK.

Broncos are 10/11 odds on favourites.

Should I cover the impending disappointment of him not joining by making £100 in the process Considering if he joins Denver I'll still be happy despite losing £20.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 AM   #2746
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
As of right now I can get 5/1 on the Titans signing Peyton over here in the UK.

Broncos are 10/11 odds on favourites.

Should I cover the impending disappointment of him not joining by making £100 in the process Considering if he joins Denver I'll still be happy despite losing £20.
Always hedge.
bowtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #2747
Bronco Yoda

If Manning comes to Denver, the script will be already set for another full rebuild in 2-3 years on Offense. Interesting enough that will be about the time Shanny will be looking for work if RG3 doesn't produce huge. HMMMMMMMM....
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #2748
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Teams getting “worn out” by Peyton chase

A league source tells PFT that some of the suitors for his services are tiring of the process.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-peyton-chase/

Glad to see it's not just the fans!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 AM   #2749
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

I'm going to be so mad if the Titans get them. A few days ago Titans weren't even in the picture and now they are neck and neck. Bud Adams hate will be strong.
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #2750
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife View Post
I'm going to be so mad if the Titans get them. A few days ago Titans weren't even in the picture and now they are neck and neck.
It seems to work that way so often though, a team swoops in and gets the deal done. From Peyton's perspective if we made the assumption the money was equal both places- which we dont know for sure - here's the advantages I can think of...

Broncos
Strong leadership between Elway and Fox
Flexability to mold the offense how I want (although Tennessee could offer this too, but Denver is proven to be very flexible after last year)
Intriguing WR prospects in Thomas and Decker
Decent OL and running game (they wont be 1st in NFL w/out #15 and the zone-read)
Weak division for the taking
Defense already has good pass rushers since we'll be playing with a lead
Plenty of cap room to add other players
Good city to raise the kids

Titans
Familliarity with the division
Get to smash the Colts twice a year
I went to college there
My wife is from there
Chris Johnson and Kenny Britt
Really good pass-blocking OL
Not a "cold-weather" city (although Klis had facts that showed Denver wasn't one, but apparently that's one of his concerns about the Broncos)
No Tebow circus

What am I missing?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote