The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #2326
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
You don't sign Peyton Manning at this stage of his career to simply "give yourself a fighting chance" against the great teams.
As opposed to keeping Tebow and having "NO CHANCE"?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #2327
Drek
Ring of Famer
 
Drek's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,334
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojef View Post
I like him too but Manning on the team puts us in contention mode now, there will be no grooming. Tebow needs snaps at this point period, his clipboard days are done. Get what you can for him and drive on.
We made it to the second round of the playoffs this past year. We won a single game less on the regular season than the eventual Super Bowl champions.

We did that after a 1-4 start leading to a QB change. Our new QB was making his 4th to 17th starts this season (including the playoffs) without having any off-season work and having his pre-season/camp work relegated to the second string.

Our defense was a bottom half of the league unit statistically, and their complete failure is what ended the playoffs for us. We now have an off-season to address the gaping holes and lack of depth on that unit.

From the start of the 2011 season to the end of it we changed both of our starting WRs, our starting RB, and fielded a rookie RT, two second year interior linemen who have yet to spend a full off-season at the NFL level, and a LT who still hasn't had a full off-season of rehab from a serious knee injury two years ago.

Even the most pragmatic estimate on how much the 2011 club can improve for the 2012 season should have us viewed as a contending club. The division is not getting stronger. Oakland has no ammo to improve and was our closest threat. San Diego will lose additional key pieces this off-season and gets another year older with the holdovers from the Shotty era. KC still has no answers at corner and is betting on a HC who failed once already to make something out of a shallow roster with many key players needing to rebound from serious injuries.

Marginal improvement and we lock up the division for the next few years, giving us a few shots to make a run. Real significant improvement and we could be the class of the league with a stout defense, elite running game, and a powerful X factor at QB who will continue to improve as a passer.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM   #2328
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Prior to missing this past season Manning led his team to 9 straight play off seasons of which his team won 12 or more games in 7 of them....two SB's and one title.

That is clever....and about as good as you can get in the salary cap free agency era where it is hard to keep a team together

I'm looking for the Bronco equivalencies for Wayne, Harrison, Garcon and Clark, James, Glenn, Freeney, Sanders, Brackett and Saturday on the Broncos roster...crazy, but I'm not seeing them.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #2329
RaiderH8r
In The Bag
 
RaiderH8r's Avatar
 
Bring back the tapenade!

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Meth Alley
Posts: 11,224

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_BRONCO_FAN View Post
so if we get manning then what is our goal will fans be happy with just a playoff appearance ? a playoff win ? afc championship appearance or a Superbowl appearance or all or nothing ?
SB win or the move is failure.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #2330
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 33,749

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

I think Bud Adams fires some staff tomorrow. Just a gut feeling nothing to base off of.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #2331
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
SB win or the move is failure.

Exactly.

Amazingly though, if Denver signs Manning and they do not win a SB in the next three years, the excuse will be a lack of supporting cast.

Conveniently it will be forgotten that was the argument against Manning coming here in the first place...

Hillarity will ensue as we look for the next totally awesom-o QB5000.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #2332
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I'm looking for the Bronco equivalencies for Wayne, Harrison, Garcon and Clark, James, Glenn, Freeney, Sanders, Brackett and Saturday on the Broncos roster...crazy, but I'm not seeing them.

Did you also notice we don't have the eqivalent of Manning as well? Or are you contending that Tebow with those players could've done as good if not better?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #2333
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Exactly.

Amazingly though, if Denver signs Manning and they do not win a SB in the next three years, the excuse will be a lack of supporting cast.

Conveniently it will be forgotten that was the argument against Manning coming here in the first place...

Hillarity will ensue as we look for the next totally awesom-o QB5000.

As opposed to not signing Manning, keeping Tebow, and drafting "talent".....and if we don't win it all in next 3 years, what will the excuse be?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #2334
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Did you also notice we don't have the eqivalent of Manning as well? Or are you contending that Tebow with those players could've done as good if not better?

Pointing out something obvious.

Elway was great. Elway won titles when he had a great supporting cast around him.

Manning is great. He won a title with a great supporting cast around him. If you think the issues that plagued the Broncos for the last 2 seasons is suddenly going to disappear and we cruise to a title then I have a bridge to sell you.

Signing old Colts is not a path to a title. Its the Dan Snyder method for excellence.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #2335
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
As opposed to not signing Manning, keeping Tebow, and drafting "talent".....and if we don't win it all in next 3 years, what will the excuse be?
The QB. Neither you nor I can guarantee that Tebow will lead Denver to a title. And neither you nor I can say the same with Manning.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #2336
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Pointing out something obvious.

Elway was great. Elway won titles when he had a great supporting cast around him.

Manning is great. He won a title with a great supporting cast around him. If you think the issues that plagued the Broncos for the last 2 seasons is suddenly going to disappear and we cruise to a title then I have a bridge to sell you.

Signing old Colts is not a path to a title. Its the Dan Snyder method for excellence.

I never said that we should sign peyton's former team....Clark is the only one I think will help out greatly, because he's an elite TE.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #2337
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
The QB. Neither you nor I can guarantee that Tebow will lead Denver to a title. And neither you nor I can say the same with Manning.

Exactly....we can't guarantee anything. But I think our chances INCREASE with Manning playing QB vs. Tebow.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #2338
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 9,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Pointing out something obvious.

Elway was great. Elway won titles when he had a great supporting cast around him.

Manning is great. He won a title with a great supporting cast around him. If you think the issues that plagued the Broncos for the last 2 seasons is suddenly going to disappear and we cruise to a title then I have a bridge to sell you.

Signing old Colts is not a path to a title. Its the Dan Snyder method for excellence.

I agree with you

It would be awesome to have a great QB again. Do I expect SB rings no but, at least we could have a shot for 1-3 years. If Tebow starts in 12 my goal will be can he beat a healthy good team or not. We lucked out alot in 11 with timely opponent injuries that made the playoff run alot easier.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #2339
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
"Come with me if you want to live."

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SkyNet
Posts: 7,865

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I never said that we should sign peyton's former team....Clark is the only one I think will help out greatly, because he's an elite TE.
You mean not Saturday? Manning can manage the receivers. Saturday would manage the o-line.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #2340
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer
 
Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lafayette Colorado
Posts: 9,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
I never said that we should sign peyton's former team....Clark is the only one I think will help out greatly, because he's an elite TE.
Concussion thing worries me
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 AM   #2341
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 23,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I agree with you

It would be awesome to have a great QB again. Do I expect SB rings no but, at least we could have a shot for 1-3 years. If Tebow starts in 12 my goal will be can he beat a healthy good team or not. We lucked out alot in 11 with timely opponent injuries that made the playoff run alot easier.

At this point I am just done with this nonsense QB driven drama that is annually the Broncos offseason. Denver should have a plan for the guys they would need if Manning was not a FA. Signing Manning does not fix the defense. It does not bring in the #2 CB, a vet safety, a MLB with coverage skills or depth and talent along the defensive line.

The over the top enthusiasm about a 36 year old QB who had 4 surgeries on his neck and still has nerve damage is pure insanity. He is somehow going to get Denver back to a SB? Will the offense improve? Of course it will. So instead of losing 7-3 games we lose games 45-38.

It seems Bronco fans prefer pretty losses to ugly wins. It makes me want to punch a preemie.


Last edited by Archer81; 03-14-2012 at 01:33 AM..
Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 AM   #2342
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 29,172

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
You mean not Saturday? Manning can manage the receivers. Saturday would manage the o-line.
Both! Manning loves using the TE and having a total stud center in Saturday helps that line for 2012. McD screwed up the TE position and we need a stud at that position. I don't see it in the draft like I see it in FA. This also gives us more of an opportunity to stick with defense in the draft.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #2343
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
"No Fate"
 
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun's Avatar
 
"Come with me if you want to live."

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SkyNet
Posts: 7,865

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Both! Manning loves using the TE and having a total stud center in Saturday helps that line for 2012. McD screwed up the TE position and we need a stud at that position. I don't see it in the draft like I see it in FA. This also gives us more of an opportunity to stick with defense in the draft.
I think there are like 10-12 TE in this years draft. So I don't think that we're going after TE this year. Also just because Tebow didn't throw to the TE a lot this year doesn't mean they suck. I agree with you that this team has a lot of holes, but going through FA to fix all of them is a mistake also, look at the Eagles.
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #2344
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 32,305

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
At this point I am just done with this nonsense QB driven drama that is annually the Broncos offseason. Denver should have a plan for the guys they would need if Manning was not a FA. Signing Manning does not fix the defense. It does not bring in the #2 CB, a vet safety, a MLB with coverage skills or depth and talent along the defensive line.

The over the top enthusiasm about a 36 year old QB who had 4 surgeries on his neck and still has nerve damage is pure insanity. He is somehow going to get Denver back to a SB? Will the offense improve? Of course it will. So instead of losing 7-3 games we lose games 45-38.

It seems Bronco fans perfer pretty losses to ugly wins. It makes me want to punch a preemie.

45 to 38 would be an improvement over the four games teams scored over 40 points on us last year. Playoffs not included. I prefer not to lose but if we do I don't want to be butte ****ing raped like we have been.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 03-13-2012 at 12:57 AM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #2345
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 19,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
Fox ALWAYS plays that way.. he got to a superbowl playing that way!
I'm curious.....is getting to the SB a problem for you?
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #2346
DAN_BRONCO_FAN
Ring of Famer
 
DAN_BRONCO_FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: why so u can stalk me ?
Posts: 4,374

Adopt-a-Bronco:
alfred e numan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieopperude View Post
To me. We need to win the AFC West and be in a place to compete in the playoffs against all the teams. If we lose to Balt. or NE in a hard fought battle I am ok with that. I'm not OK with losing 45 to 14 in the 2nd round of the playoffs and looking like we shouldn't be there.

That would be a failure for the Manning experiment.
so you be ok with just losing by a few points knowing that the NFL don't award teams for losing by a few points most the time except to do tie breakers when all other tie breakers except coin toss fails . ok fair enough im bad at predicting the future btw .
DAN_BRONCO_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #2347
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default



TOTAL STUD
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #2348
go_broncos
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,940

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith
Default

I have seen this many times..Manning will not be a bronco.
go_broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #2349
ol#7
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_broncos View Post
I have seen this many times..Manning will not be a bronco.
Agreed.

Thats why you don't let guys your trying to sign leave town. But for some reason, people were arguing that 'Manning is different,' really he promised those other teams so he has to go, but he will be back.

Shanny used to have guys on the plane and at the facilities at 12:01 so they could be signed once FA started. I can only think of one time where a player we coveted left without a contract that we still landed.

So much pressure is brought to bear when they are getting the pitch that you expect someone who is interested to take the offer. If they pass the offer wasnt good enough or they were not interested.

FA don't just show up out of curiosity. These dog and pony shows the team puts on are not done for goodwill purposes either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #2350
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera
 
cutthemdown's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 37,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Agreed.

Thats why you don't let guys your trying to sign leave town. But for some reason, people were arguing that 'Manning is different,' really he promised those other teams so he has to go, but he will be back.

Shanny used to have guys on the plane and at the facilities at 12:01 so they could be signed once FA started. I can only think of one time where a player we coveted left without a contract that we still landed.

So much pressure is brought to bear when they are getting the pitch that you expect someone who is interested to take the offer. If they pass the offer wasnt good enough or they were not interested.

FA don't just show up out of curiosity. These dog and pony shows the team puts on are not done for goodwill purposes either.
Reggie white and many other big time FA did a tour then decided right? Manning an exception. Not many big time QBS ever hit the FA market. The usually get traded at end of the career etc etc. Or just are so washed up its not a big circus.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Denver Broncos