The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #1876
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Wouldn't dropping more into coverage open up the running game? And if that's the way to beat Manning, why is so hard to do despite knowing this? He's led his team to an average of what? 11 wins per season for over a decade now? If they haven't stopped him by now, i doubt they will again.
That's not the Peyton we kicked the tires on. The Peyton we saw is close to empty and just had 4 neck surgeries and is going to cost $20/yr that is sorely needed in other positions of need.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #1877
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
Yes, why go to a place where the head coach has five Super Bowl rings, vs a place where the GM is a n00b and the head coach has never won a Super Bowl, and coaches a team lacking talent.
Maybe because one head coach has made it to the SB as a head coach, and the other has basically sucked when he got above his terminal position as a DC.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #1878
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/

7:40 PM Fox31 in Denver: A source told FOX31 Sports that Manning’s visit went “very well” and Broncos management “feel(s) strongly they are the frontrunners at this point. The source indicated that Manning feels there are “no negatives with the Broncos.” Peyton would like to make a decision by Monday, but by Tuesday at the latest.

Sounds like Arizona has a small window here to blow Manning away. It better be all that and a bag of chips if they are going to beat John Elway.

6:47: PM Dmac retweets: is PM just going on the rest of the stops on the tour to do the classy, right thing and in all actuality he's already a Bronco?

This is why I love me some DMac. He says he can't reveal more that his sources have told him, but then does his best to stick a flashing sign in your face. Obviously, this is speculation, but the Broncos must feel confident.

6:23 PM Klis' version of what Dmac tweeted: Manning off to Ariz. Bronco source characterizes Peyton Manning visit as productive. Team is hopeful and encouraged by time spent with him.

I almost feel worse for Klis than I do for Tebow. Tebow's book sold a hundred-billion copies; Klis' book may have a shelf life that expires next Tuesday.

6:06 PM DMac believes Manning will be a Bronco from sources inside Dove Valley. He also tweets: Hearing news that manning is headed to zona tnite. The denver visit was very positive. Wish I could reveal more but will have to leave it at that...
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #1879
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:

1. Not sure how a better QB isn't a better option, but if you wanna stick to that, ok....

2. so would you have a problem if we traded a draft pick for another team's players if Tebow was our QB? And if you wouldn't, then why would it bother you if we did likewise for Manning?

3. Regardless of whether we sign Manning or not, the goal of this team is to win a SB. so by the same token, how many years of "well, hopefully Tebow will get better" are you willing to go thru? If the answer is one, then maybe you'd have a point...but if the answer is 3, what difference does it make if we go the next 3 seasons without a title? Whether we go 0-3 with or without Manning, we're still 0-3 correct? Champ Bailey isn't getting any younger, and neither is Dawkins (who amazingly half the nuthuggers want back despite being two years older with a neck injury himself), or McGahee....i mean by the time Tebow finally does improve enough (if at all) we'd have to start all over anyways by replacing the older vets like them. I'd rather go down swinging with a very good at worst, elite at best QB....than watch great veterans like Bailey and Dawkins suffer through Tebow's growing pains

4. Well if Tebow won't win a SB in that same 3 year window, then why risk having him as our QB either? and wouldn't that make having him as our QB an abject failure as well?and then what, we move on with no replacement...because if Manning isn't good enough at 36, then I doubt you'd want him at 39, correct? Manning is a free agent right now....this season.

We should do whatever we can to upgrade any position. You act as if we shouldn't gamble on Ed Reed (who has had injuries himself) if he were available because Carter showed some promise.
Response to each:

1. A better QB is a better option.

Alas, I don't think a 36 yeard old one coming off major neck injury and multiple surgeries, to a team that is nowhere near a QB away from threatening to win a SB, is a better option. Especially when he's looking for 20 mil a year, and then you have to scramble to fill the roster with aging, expensive vets, because you don't have time to have your younger guys develop since said option is about 3 years or a significant setback away from not playing another down.

2. It wouldn't bother me if we traded for someone younger and significantly better, with a much higher chance of not being a stopgap player for us, who won't alter the plan we've heard so much about - buidling through the draft. That said, I don't mean throwing 1st round picks around like the Redskins did. You have to be smart, not desperate.

As for the second part, we're not even trading for Manning, and it still bothers me because with this team and Peyton Manning, we're going all in with a pair of 10's. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't. If I felt we had a great chance of winning within this timeframe, I'd be all for it. But I don't believe we are, so it makes little sense to me to pay this QB 20 mil a season to play on a team that isn't even good, to be honest with you, let alone elite or great. Waste of time and resources IMO. And when 3 years goes by and you have nothing to show for it, will it all be worth it? This is hardly a low risk move.

3. Tebow may or may not be the answer, but I do know the kid has a division title and playoff win already under his belt. I would like to see what he can do being the top guy for an entire offseason and season. Until then, we don't know what he's capable or not capable of, really. And if he's not the guy, we move on without any cap hits or ridiculous veteran contracts weighing us down, because we aren't throwing money around like the world will end in 3 years.

4. Whoa, don't put words in my mouth my friend. I never said Manning wasn't good enough. For the umpteenth time, I said he's not the guy to put us over the top, because we aren't close to the top. Once again, I don't think this team, that picked 2nd overall 11 months ago, is suddenly a 2012 Peyton Manning away from becoming SB favorites. And since I feel the chances of us winning one in 3 years is slim, it makes very little sense to me to throw the 1 year old blueprint out the window of building through the draft. The Eagles put together a "dream team" last offseason, with lots of sexy names coming in. The Redskins annually throw money at big name free agents. Hell, our own Denver Broncos signed guys like Dale Carter and Daryl Gardener trying to win now. It hardly ever works, and all you have left is the rubble and ash of big contracts.

Oh, and as for Ed Reed, I'd love to have him. He wouldn't be touted as the guy to lead us to Super Bowls, he wouldn't want 20 million a year, and we wouldn't go on a spending spree of throwing free agent players into our shopping cart. Upgrading positions is one thing. Going for broker doing so is entirely another.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #1880
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderH8r View Post
I understand it very well. I watched the FA chase with Shanny. It got us debt and disappointment. We finally clean up our cap, put some pieces in place to build upon and we're going to jeopardize this progress and the future by gambling on a 36 yr old with a bad neck.
Ok, fair enough...

but can you also admit that decisions Mike made have nothing to do with the decisions John makes?

Mike's ego had him believing McNabb, Beck, and Grossman were capable of lifting his team outta the doldrums. that a virtual rookie in Griese was a far better option than a vet in Brister who ran the offense very well and handed the keys of a two time champion to the peach fuzz kid

John's ego hasn't made a bad decision like that....at least not yet. If this comes back to bite him in the ass, then have at it dude....you can come in here and say "I told you so"
Old 03-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #1881
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

no news is good news. but this is killing me. ive never refreshed so many pages so many times.
ChampBailey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #1882
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

ManningToDenver ‏ @ManningToDenver
Manning flight out @ 6:50 Denver time @dmac1043 pic.twitter.com/EDHZaM2j

damn so he is leaving.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #1883
pricejj
jungle

Yeah dude, we been knowing this. It's all good.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #1884
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

he left at 5:47
Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #1885
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N15C
Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #1886
ghostofjosh

Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1887
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Ok, fair enough...

but can you also admit that decisions Mike made have nothing to do with the decisions John makes?

Mike's ego had him believing McNabb, Beck, and Grossman were capable of lifting his team outta the doldrums. that a virtual rookie in Griese was a far better option than a vet in Brister who ran the offense very well and handed the keys of a two time champion to the peach fuzz kid

John's ego hasn't made a bad decision like that....at least not yet. If this comes back to bite him in the ass, then have at it dude....you can come in here and say "I told you so"
John should learn from history like the rest of us and Bowlen should damn sure know better.

I would rather John not make the mistake in the first place. I don't want to have to be pissed at his stupidity but if he gives me no other choice what can I do?
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #1888
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Wait, you guys expected Manning to sign with the Donks without even going somewhere else?

Oh, you silly Donks.

Peyton would like to visit actual franchises who have defenses and legit offensive threats.

Last edited by Bob's your Information Minister; 03-10-2012 at 06:08 PM..
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #1889
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampBailey24 View Post
no news is good news. but this is killing me. ive never refreshed so many pages so many times.
You seriously think we are going to get him?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #1890
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Hi i'm fat, have a mullet, am still a virgin, and drink warm miller lights for breakfast.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #1891
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Seriously, Denver, Miami, Arizona, whatever.

Kansas City has more talent than all of those teams, and more cash to blow.

The Chiefs are a QB away from being an elite team. Manning isn't dumb. He sees this.
Manning doesn't want to go rot in a sh@t town like KC.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #1892
MacGruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Manning doesn't want to go rot in a sh@t town like KC.
Then it's obvious why he only has one championship... Tebow would chew his own arm off to win a preseason game.. and you want to replace Tebow with Manning?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #1893
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Wait, you guys expected Manning to sign with the Donks without even going somewhere else?

Oh, you silly Donks.

Peyton would like to visit actual franchises who have defenses and legit offensive threats.
When is he flying into kc again.. Wasnt it a.done deal... Boob you cursed em again
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #1894
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Manning was always going to do his due diligence and visit a variety of cities. Why did any of you realistically expect him to sign immediately with us?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1895
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
Then it's obvious why he only has one championship... Tebow would chew his own arm off to win a preseason game.. and you want to replace Tebow with Manning?
Why chew off his right arm.....it's his left arm that doesn't function properly.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #1896
pricejj
jungle

Arizona is $10.8M over the cap, a number that would rise by $8M should they decide to cut Kevin Kolb after one season.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/03/10/432...-moves-to.html
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #1897
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Manning was always going to do his due diligence and visit a variety of cities. Why did any of you realistically expect him to sign immediately with us?
Yup, it was widely reported prior to his visit that he wouldn't be signing a contract during the visit. Unfortunately that only makes me feel a little bit better about it...

And then there's this... http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...up-as-he-goes/
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #1898
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Cardinals | No visits scheduled for Peyton Manning after Arizona
Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:01:12 -0800

Free-agent QB Peyton Manning (Colts) has no more scheduled visits beyond his trip to the Phoenix area to meet with the Arizona Cardinals brass.

My bet is after Arizona he comes back to Denver and signs before the Free Agency deadline and the Broncos agree to trade Tebow for a 3rd round pick.
If they get Peyton under contract by Monday they can start focusing on all his friends leaving Indy before free agency begins in earnest.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #1899
ChampBailey24
Ring of Famer

SALUTE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Kent Somers ‏ @kentsomers
Watched a plane land at Sky Harbor and another in Glendale , Manning not on either
Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #1900
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post

Last edited by oubronco; 10-19-2013 at 08:02 PM..
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote