The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #876
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
So the Broncos have as much talent as the Giants do? Miller and Dumervil did not exactly have much impact in games when they faced really good offenses.
I'm saying the gap between the Broncos and the Giants or the other top teams is not as large as you propose it is if this team adds Peyton Manning, some free agents, and another decent draft class.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #877
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unsettled, NC
Posts: 7,624

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Almost half the NFL GMs and FO don't agree with you at all.
So you're saying that over 50% of NFL GMs agree with me? Thanks....
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #878
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Manning would not sign with the Broncos with hopes they would then sign a bunch of free agents and hope they could be a very good team. People forget this team started out 1-4, coming off just going what 7-24 or whatever it was, and adding Manning is going to make this team a 11-12 win team? I just don't see this happening, at least for Manning's benefit.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #879
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
People assume they will spend all that money and do so on good players, so we will see just what they do. They need help at RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, and maybe safety. Good luck becoming a Super Bowl contender with that list in one offseason.
There's not a team in the league that doesn't have weak areas, including the Giants. Hell, they were a 9-7 team who just snuck into the playoffs the last week of the season. There's no such thing as a complete team anymore with the salary cap. We can't fix all our holes, but we can fix some of them, and the key to winning a SB in this era is a great QB who can mask a lot of weaknesses.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #880
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,367

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
I disagree. I don't think the Broncos or most teams are nearly as far away from a Super Bowl as you say. The 9-7 Giants won a Super Bowl this year. There are no great teams right now. Any team with a QB like Manning is a contender. Not to mention a team that can rush the passer like Dumervil and Miller.
Another that goes Full Retard. What the hell are you taking about? They have the best defensive line...and depth. They were stacked at WR. Manning played lights out. They get a running game going and that is a tough team to beat.

...they had Freeney and Mathis and a loaded offense and only managed to reach the Superbowl 2 times. Manning could very well be the best QB ever, but that doesn't take away that he has always been a choke artist in the playoffs.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #881
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
So you're saying that over 50% of NFL GMs agree with me? Thanks....
Yes because teams like the Giants, Pats, Packers, Saints, Pitt, Colts (just cut him), Panthers, Chargers should count.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #882
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
I'm saying the gap between the Broncos and the Giants or the other top teams is not as large as you propose it is if this team adds Peyton Manning, some free agents, and another decent draft class.
Actually it is when you consider the Broncos played in one of the worst divisions in the NFL and that was pretty much the case last year too. Add if they are drafting towards the bottom of every round and hard to see getting that many impact rookies ready to do great things right away. Sorry, but the Broncos are not that close to the Giants other than in record but the Giants didn't dominate when they won the Super Bowl a few years ago either.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #883
yerner
Ring of Famer
 
yerner's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Charlottesville VA
Posts: 3,936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Manning would not sign with the Broncos with hopes they would then sign a bunch of free agents and hope they could be a very good team. People forget this team started out 1-4, coming off just going what 7-24 or whatever it was, and adding Manning is going to make this team a 11-12 win team? I just don't see this happening, at least for Manning's benefit.
I don't think they have to win 12 games. 10 games could win the West. Then you get into the playoffs and see what happens. With Peyton Manning.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #884
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,367

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
So he hasn't signed with the Phins yet? Gotcha. WR is a huge need in Denver too so I bet he is a packaged deal here so I guess that means we have Thomas, Decker, and Wayne.
Would still take Wayne, Bmarsh, Bess and Fassano (our TEs suck). Plus the have a way better OL than ours. (At least pass blocking wise)
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #885
barryr
Ring of Famer
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,725

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
There's not a team in the league that doesn't have weak areas, including the Giants. Hell, they were a 9-7 team who just snuck into the playoffs the last week of the season. There's no such thing as a complete team anymore with the salary cap. We can't fix all our holes, but we can fix some of them, and the key to winning a SB in this era is a great QB who can mask a lot of weaknesses.
The Giants's main problem was sleepwalking much of the season, but have a penchant for turning it on when they need to. They did the same when they won their Super Bowl a few years ago. The Broncos are nothing like that right now.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #886
Drunken.Broncoholic
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
Manning would not sign with the Broncos with hopes they would then sign a bunch of free agents and hope they could be a very good team. People forget this team started out 1-4, coming off just going what 7-24 or whatever it was, and adding Manning is going to make this team a 11-12 win team? I just don't see this happening, at least for Manning's benefit.
People fail to realize the lockout affected teams more that had complete overhauls in the coaching staff. Teams that had stability in their coaching staff had the same playbook. This team had a bunch of new players with a bunch of new coaches holding new playbooks trying to jam an offseason in a month. That had something to do with going 1-4.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #887
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,352

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Wow, I didn't think for a minute the Broncs would really be serious players for Peyton, or Peyton would take it seriously. But a boatload of people think that is the case.

Have to wait and see how it pans out. If it does the implications are obviously enormous, both positive and negative.

I have to admit I'm getting a little excited about such a huge move actually happening.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #888
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Yes because teams like the Giants, Pats, Packers, Saints, Pitt, Colts (just cut him), Panthers, Chargers should count.
Lions, Tigers(Bengals), and Bears could be added to that list.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #889
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
People fail to realize the lockout affected teams more that had complete overhauls in the coaching staff. Teams that had stability in their coaching staff had the same playbill. This team had a bunch of new players with a bunch of new coaches. That had something to do with going 1-4.
New layers? what are you talking about? That is exactly why they should have been successful.

It was Fox that changed the offense under such a short time.. he didn't have to do that... He did it to make his defense look better than it is..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #890
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
It will.. you are forgetting that if Manning comes to the Broncos the style of play will change. They will play more like McD did opening up the passing game.

This will expose all the weaknesses the Broncos have that Tebow covered up.

You are going to have the same team McD had.. and Manning's neck may be even more vulnerable than Orton at this point.. and you aren't going to have McD running the offense.. so Manning is going to have to do everything himself. In such a short time I don't see how that is going to work.. Manning did this over his whole career building the team around him and breaking guys in. Inexperienced receivers and Oline..
You grossly underestimate Manning. His ability to read defenses, audible a new play, and throw an incredibly accurate and fast pass right on target is what destroys defenses. He doesn't need nearly the time that Tebow does. I think it's hilarious you are so hung up on Tebow's jock, that you think Manning would make the team WORSE.

You can't possibly comment on this situation in an unbiased manner, therefore, your opinion can pretty much be summarily dismissed as jibberish.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #891
Heyneck
Ring of Famer
 
Heyneck's Avatar
 
RIP Tripplets!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cali, Colombia
Posts: 2,367

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
People fail to realize the lockout affected teams more that had complete overhauls in the coaching staff. Teams that had stability in their coaching staff had the same playbook. This team had a bunch of new players with a bunch of new coaches holding new playbooks trying to jam an offseason in a month. That had something to do with going 1-4.
Nope....Orton fumbling against the Raiders and Titans made that happen. Deny it all you want.
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #892
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
It will.. you are forgetting that if Manning comes to the Broncos the style of play will change. They will play more like McD did opening up the passing game.

This will expose all the weaknesses the Broncos have that Tebow covered up.

You are going to have the same team McD had.. and Manning's neck may be even more vulnerable than Orton at this point.. and you aren't going to have McD running the offense.. so Manning is going to have to do everything himself. In such a short time I don't see how that is going to work.. Manning did this over his whole career building the team around him and breaking guys in. Inexperienced receivers and Oline..
It's already been reported that Denver has told Manning they will hand the reins to offense over to him and let him be the de facto OC. And while Tebow no doubt helped the running game, it's a joke to pretend he "masked the weaknesses" of the WRs. Decker was on a 70 catch 12 TD pace before Tebow took over. DeMaryius kept pace with Calvin Johnson at the end of the season with Tebow throwing hail marys up to him. Imagine what a precision passer like Manning could do for his game? Furthermore, a QB who can audible and get rid of the ball in a hurry mask a lot of protection problems, as Manning demonstrated in 2010 with a couple of below average tackles protecting him in Indy. Plus, you have the cap space to make additional improvements. You act like Tebow was some kind of beast. The best thing he did for the team was open up the running game and limit turnovers. Manning will open up the running game with the threat of the pass, and he's not exactly error prone either. If you have injury concerns, cool, that's warrented. But it's a total joke to compare the impact of a healthy Manning withe Tebow.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #893
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
People assume they will spend all that money and do so on good players, so we will see just what they do. They need help at RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, LB, CB, and maybe safety. Good luck becoming a Super Bowl contender with that list in one offseason.
good luck getting any traction with this argument...

the Shanny fans are having nerdgasms at the thought of going back to the days when all we had to do was sign a bunch of has-been FAs and we'd be back in the superbowl.

the Tebow haters are all lathered up because they think this is their chance to get rid of Tebow.

and the unicorns & rainbows crowd is happy because they think Manning will bring with him a bag of magic beans that will instantly cure all of the other problems this team has.

there will be a time for people to listen to sane arguments, but unfortunately it's not now. let them have their fun. instead of trying to educate them, i find gentle mocking is an enjoyable alternative.

Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #894
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cito Pelon View Post
Wow, I didn't think for a minute the Broncs would really be serious players for Peyton, or Peyton would take it seriously. But a boatload of people think that is the case.

Have to wait and see how it pans out. If it does the implications are obviously enormous, both positive and negative.

I have to admit I'm getting a little excited about such a huge move actually happening.
They think this because people give no credit to Tebow for saving the team.. no one wants to admit Tebow was better than they said he was... they still assume Tebow is even holding the team back.. simply because Tebow plays an unconventional style. They don't realize how incredibly effective his unconventional style is..

If Manning falls for it his legacy is going to go right down the toilet along with Elway's...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #895
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 20,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
New layers? what are you talking about? That is exactly why they should have been successful.

It was Fox that changed the offense under such a short time.. he didn't have to do that... He did it to make his defense look better than it is..
Please, he did it because Tebow couldn't run the offense that was in place so they put in a gimmick offense
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #896
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Would still take Wayne, Bmarsh, Bess and Fassano (our TEs suck). Plus the have a way better OL than ours. (At least pass blocking wise)
Anthony Fasano is far from all world man. Hell Jeremy Shockey is a FA and put up the same numbers as Fasano. I like Bess but he isn't any better then Decker. Marshall is better then Thomas as of now. Hopefully Thomas takes the next step. Point is we have more money then the Phins so we can add more fire power then them.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #897
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
They think this because people give no credit to Tebow for saving the team
No, Tebow gets credit for opening up the running game and limiting turnovers. You give no credit to the defense for stepping up during the 6 game winning streak and give all the credit to Tebow despite the paltry offense he produced.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #898
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,794

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
good luck getting any traction with this argument...

the Shanny fans are having nerdgasms at the thought of going back to the days when all we had to do was sign a bunch of has-been FAs and we'd be back in the superbowl.

the Tebow haters are all lathered up because they think this is their chance to get rid of Tebow.

and the unicorns & rainbows crowd is happy because they think Manning will bring with him a bag of magic beans that will instantly cure all of the other problems this team has.

there will be a time for people to listen to sane arguments, but unfortunately it's not now. let them have their fun. instead of trying to educate them, i find gentle mocking is an enjoyable alternative.

No signing the right FA's and drafting well will help us get there. We drafted well and was smart in FA's last year and we doubled our wins. I guess that's not possible this year?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #899
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Do you think once we sign Manning we're going to ignore the defense? I guarantee that will not happen.

Tebow under center or Manning under center, the same positions will be drafted.


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #900
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I'll go ahead and call this one for everybody -- the Broncos don't end up with Manning, and we end concluding in hindsight that this whole thing was botched from a PR standpoint.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Denver Broncos