The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #376
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

I think the 1-4 start and 1-4 finish is a closer reflection of where this team is at from a talent perspective than the 7-1 sandwiched in between. We had a lot of fortune in that 7-1 run. Some of it was the novelty Tebow brought to the running game, some of it was the defense getting hot against a string of mediocre-to-poor QBs. While it's fair to be skeptical of Tebow in the passing game, the success of the running game was largely the result of the unique threat Tebow presented to teams as a runner. That masked a lot of problems with our OL, specifically the interior. That element disappears with Manning, so if we sign him we better couple it with signing Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs at guard and Saturday at center, otherwise Manning will get killed. Then we need a veteran receiver like Reggie Wayne. And that doesn't even address our defense that got raped by pretty much any above average QB they faced. We have $50 million of cap space and the draft to address some of that, so I think we could piece together a good team, but there are too many holes to put a championship team together. At least not this season, and there's no point in pursuing Manning if you don't think you can win a championship right away.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #377
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
sorry, but we won't get a starting NFL caliber player from another team by giving them our 5th round picks. if we want an elite LB or S, we will pay through the nose.

i honestly can't believe i have to explain this to you. this is not a videogame. it takes time to rebuild a bad team. we were 4-12 in 2010 in case you don't remember. we're better now, but we're far from elite.
We can draft a starting caliber player in the draft. Believe it or not teams do do that. We got two starters just last year without trading draft picks!

I can't believe I have to explain this to you. This is real life. We went from 4-12 in 10 to 8-8 in one offseason by drafting well and bringing in the right FA without even spending a ton! See we improved 4 wins in one offseason without trading away the future!!!!
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #378
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The Broncos roster is "loaded with talent"? :say what:

Seriously, if EFX try to sign Manning it will prove they have absolutely no ****ing clue what they are doing. Period. Not than Manning will have any interest with our lack of offensive talent or good offensive coaching, but that's neither here nor there.
Maybe they feel Manning can do more with our offensive players...amazing there's no talk of improving WR corps by pursuing Moss .

Guess this tells us who Elway thinks who fault the passing game woes were....
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #379
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Probably the main reason I want him here is to rid us of these insufferable d-bag Teboners.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #380
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
whelp, pretty easy to tell the difference between broncos fans and tebow fans now
Yep.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #381
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
We don't have to trade picks cause of Manning. That is something you are just making up. Like I said if anything we get more draft picks because we will be trading Tebow since you guys don't think we can keep both QBs for some crazy ass reason.
I think if we do somehow sign Manning cutting bait with Tebow and going with similar style back-ups makes sense. I love the kid but being a backup to a guy like Manning wouldn't be fair to him.
Broncojef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #382
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
can't believe we have clowns on here that think signing Manning would be a good thing for a team that only recently accepted the fact that they needed to rebuild via the draft to fill positional holes all over the roster and to add much needed depth.
Oh...I forgot we have to surrender draft picks when we sign UFA's...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #383
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
Shannon weighs in:
Quote:
He prob think the Broncos might be little too far away to challenge for sb. RT @danmcleran @ShannonSharpe Sharpy, what are the odds we get #18 on the #Broncos?
Yeah, I think if it doesn't happen, it will be because Peyton killed it. I think the vaunted o-line and defense of the Broncos is not quite as good as the Tebow haters like to think.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #384
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Don't want to sign a QB who is coming off of 4 neck surgeries = Tebow fans, God this place is ****ing stupid sometimes.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #385
OrangeCrush2724
Bronco Pride!

My guess is he signs with Miami tomorrow. He is not going to let this thing run on.
OrangeCrush2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #386
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush2724 View Post
He flew into Miami right after the news conference. He already has a home in Miami. Miami has good weather, good defense, decent running game, and likely Wayne would follow him to come back home to Miami.
Only potential problem is Philbin is there and he loves Matt Flyn who has shown he knows his system inside and out.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #387
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
I think the 1-4 start and 1-4 finish is a closer reflection of where this team is at from a talent perspective than the 7-1 sandwiched in between. We had a lot of fortune in that 7-1 run. Some of it was the novelty Tebow brought to the running game, some of it was the defense getting hot against a string of mediocre-to-poor QBs. While it's fair to be skeptical of Tebow in the passing game, the success of the running game was largely the result of the unique threat Tebow presented to teams as a runner. That masked a lot of problems with our OL, specifically the interior. That element disappears with Manning, so if we sign him we better couple it with signing Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs at guard and Saturday at center, otherwise Manning will get killed. Then we need a veteran receiver like Reggie Wayne. And that doesn't even address our defense that got raped by pretty much any above average QB they faced. We have $50 million of cap space and the draft to address some of that, so I think we could piece together a good team, but there are too many holes to put a championship team together. At least not this season, and there's no point in pursuing Manning if you don't think you can win a championship right away.
Good post, largely agree. But ask yourself this: are we better off this coming season with Tebow or a healthy Peyton Manning starting? Are we in a better position to attract FA's with Tebow or Manning? I think the answer to both questions is fairly obvious. Remember, the passing threat that Manning brings to the table moves some defensive players away from the line of scrimmage, and Mannings ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly helps as well. Manning could probably help bring in a key skill position player or two in FA, and if we grab at least 1 O-lineman upgrade and maybe a few guys on defense between the draft and FA we'll be much improved. A guy can dream! My biggest reservation would be that if we have to move Tebow who is the QBOTF?
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #388
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Don't want to sign a QB who is coming off of 4 neck surgeries = Tebow fans, God this place is ****ing stupid sometimes.
it's the rhetoric, which is mostly "BUT TEBOW AND PLAYOFFS" or "all of our players suck only Tebow helped us win games this team blows." If Peyton is healthy, he's healthy. You're not a doctor. Presumably, the Broncos have a few.
extralife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #389
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Good post, largely agree. But ask yourself this: are we better off this coming season with Tebow or a healthy Peyton Manning starting? Are we in a better position to attract FA's with Tebow or Manning? I think the answer to both questions is fairly obvious. Remember, the passing threat that Manning brings to the table moves some defensive players away from the line of scrimmage, and Mannings ability to read defenses and get rid of the ball quickly helps as well. Manning could probably help bring in a key skill position player or two in FA, and if we grab at least 1 O-lineman upgrade and maybe a few guys on defense between the draft and FA we'll be much improved. A guy can dream! My biggest reservation would be that if we have to move Tebow who is the QBOTF?
I don't think even Tebow fans will disagree with this post.

The problem is the last sentence. If Lombardi is right and the Broncos traded Tebow, what happens if Manning does go down injured?

You're left with nothing.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #390
phisig150
Atwater Hit Squad

I love the idea of Manning throwing to Thomas, Wayne, Decker and possibly Garcon. Line's decent. D showed improvment. This team with Manning is probably in the 12 win territory with deep playoff run possibilities. Way I see it even if Manning gets hurt or if we decide to go with Tebow the whole season we probably end up with the same amount of wins and draft Barkley. Rather roll the dice with a real QB than stick with the gimmicky flash in the pan.

Last edited by phisig150; 03-07-2012 at 07:12 PM..
phisig150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #391
RaiderH8r
In The Bag

Don't worry. Nobody's listening.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MethWolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Yes.
RaiderH8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #392
OrangeCrush2724
Bronco Pride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Only potential problem is Philbin is there and he loves Matt Flyn who has shown he knows his system inside and out.
Yeah but the owner is star struck. And he has made it very clear that he wants Manning. The owner will get what he wants over the rookie coach if it comes to Manning Vs Flyn.
OrangeCrush2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #393
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
So how long to you think Manning would be here, and how long to do you think Tebow is signed for? The answers to those questions should be interesting...
4 or 5 years if Tebow is gone.

If Tebow isn't gone maybe its a 1 or 2 year thing and we sign Tebow to an extension.

I get what your saying though. Its a sticky situation, and Tebow may be moved but I doubt its this year if we did get Manning.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #394
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
If Peyton is healthy, he's healthy. You're not a doctor. Presumably, the Broncos have a few.
Not really.

The chances of him re injuring the neck will be a hell of a lot higher than if he had never had the problem.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 PM   #395
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

PFT makes a good point....if this doesn't work, its going to make it alot more awkward for the FO/Tebow relationship than it already is. Be careful, John. If Manning is what they really want, they sure as hell better get him, or else there are going to be issues. I'm not sure Manning is a great idea at this point anyway, since I don't think we are one player away and he has just a couple years left anyway.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #396
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Oh...I forgot we have to surrender draft picks when we sign UFA's...
show me where i ever wrote that. please.

i explained how we would lose draft picks. if you disagree, then argue honestly. don't be a douche and make snarky comments that aren't based on anything i wrote. m'kay?
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #397
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
You're right. I questioned that as soon as I posted it.

That Jets game just sticks out like a sore thumb.
Even the great ones have bad games...ovetall he's been a very good playoff QB....I mean he generally had to beat some elite teams to make it SB. Figure Steelers Ravens, Pats Titans,etc....point being is AFC conference titles weren't easy to win during his career....kind of like NFC in late 70'sand 80's
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #398
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
If Lombardi is right and the Broncos traded Tebow, what happens if Manning does go down injured?
Yup, if Tebow were to be moved we'd have to go after a quality #2 guy. The whole move would initially raise as many questions as it answered. But I'll leave that up to EFX to sort out. They wouldn't go into such a thing blindly, and neither would Manning from at least a short term perspective and to a certain extent.
TonyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM   #399
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
PFT makes a good point....if this doesn't work, its going to make it alot more awkward for the FO/Tebow relationship than it already is. Be careful, John. If Manning is what they really want, they sure as hell better get him, or else there are going to be issues. I'm not sure Manning is a great idea at this point anyway, since I don't think we are one player away and he has just a couple years left anyway.
I got a weird weird feeling their backup plan is to throw the farm at STL for RG3

just a weird feeling 0-10% of it happening but I am just use to crazy moves by our organization.

I'd rather have Manning.
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #400
Circle Orange
Frozen Assets.

I KNOW!!

We can pay Manning $50 million for three years. THROWING DOWNS ONLY. Then, Tebow is brought in for RUNNING DOWNS ONLY. He gets paid a bonus of $14 million a year. No controversy, no pain. FIXED!! So Peyton goes in to throw, Tim goes in to run. Back and forth! And to keep opposing teams confused, we can mix it up on downs! You know, run when you're supposed to pass, pass when you're supposed to run.

More billboards, more ads!! WEEEEE...
Circle Orange is offline   Reply With Quote