The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default General Baseball Thread 2012

Fire up the grill and turn on the radio/tv....it's almost time for some Deeeetroit Tigers baseball!
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #2
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/76...s-two-teams-10

MLB, union agree to expand playoffs
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #3
Punisher
Punisher Vs Judge Dredd
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Who ya Got?

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
i4jelway7
Default

Go Phillies
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Fire up the grill and turn on the radio/tv....it's almost time for some Deeeetroit Tigers baseball!
The Tigers could do big things, especially after signing Prince. Prince and Cabrera has to be the best 3-4 in the majors.

It would have been more fun to watch this Tigers team in the old stadium. The new one's OK but they should have modeled the new one after the old one. I liked how it was enclosed, how it's CF was 430 something feet, but what I probably enjoyed most was the upper deck being over the field and seeing a RF waiting for the ball to come down to him only to have it land in the upper deck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
The Tigers could do big things, especially after signing Prince. Prince and Cabrera has to be the best 3-4 in the majors.

It would have been more fun to watch this Tigers team in the old stadium. The new one's OK but they should have modeled the new one after the old one. I liked how it was enclosed, how it's CF was 430 something feet, but what I probably enjoyed most was the upper deck being over the field and seeing a RF waiting for the ball to come down to him only to have it land in the upper deck.
Yeah but what they don't tell you is that a lot of the playeres hated Tiger Stadium for those very reasons. The outfield was uneven and there were dips, patches and sprinkler heads all over. The flagpole to straightaway center was in play. Pitchers loved it, sure. But from what I've heard from the Tiger great fielders, it was a very frustrating place to play.

There were also tons (TONS) of sightline issues for the fans. Dozens of places in the park where a pillar stood in between you and home plate.

I love the new stadium. It's beautiful, and makes Detroit actually look like a safe, enjoyable place to live. Tigers Stadium I remember being frightened walking in that neighborhood when I was a kid.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
OrangeSe7en
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Yeah but what they don't tell you is that a lot of the playeres hated Tiger Stadium for those very reasons. The outfield was uneven and there were dips, patches and sprinkler heads all over. The flagpole to straightaway center was in play. Pitchers loved it, sure. But from what I've heard from the Tiger great fielders, it was a very frustrating place to play.

There were also tons (TONS) of sightline issues for the fans. Dozens of places in the park where a pillar stood in between you and home plate.

I love the new stadium. It's beautiful, and makes Detroit actually look like a safe, enjoyable place to live. Tigers Stadium I remember being frightened walking in that neighborhood when I was a kid.
I can see why someone would feel this way but I think the old Tiger Stadium was a unique venue. I'm not saying it they should have carried over it's flaws (like with the dips, patches, and sprinklerheads). It also seems like every ballpark is now trying to showcase their city's skyline, which is OK, but I just think that remodeling after the old Tiger Stadium would have been better and it was one of the more unique ballparks. Now, though it's nice, it's similar to a lot of others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Gene helping John figure out FA

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 34,279

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Fire up the grill and turn on the radio/tv....it's almost time for some Deeeetroit Tigers baseball!
Robin Ventura and the WS are going to make Detroit wish they were in the NL, Ok maybe not.

Go WS!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Dukes
Ring of Famer
 
Dukes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,151
Default

First year in a while the Rockies don't have any real expectations, that's a good thing. The offense should score plenty of runs, the obvious worry is the pitching staff.
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 22,977

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Go Mariners.

Team Goal: Score 100 runs by the All Star game.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Go Mariners.

Team Goal: Score 100 runs by the All Star game.
The Mariners still planning on batting Ichiro 3rd in the lineup this year?

Hopefully putting Chone Figgins in the leadoff spot will trigger some of Chone's old production.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Robin Ventura and the WS are going to make Detroit wish they were in the NL, Ok maybe not.

Go WS!
I'm not worried about Ventura....Nolan Ryan will put him in a headlock and take care of it himself.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Yeah but what they don't tell you is that a lot of the playeres hated Tiger Stadium for those very reasons. The outfield was uneven and there were dips, patches and sprinkler heads all over. The flagpole to straightaway center was in play. Pitchers loved it, sure. But from what I've heard from the Tiger great fielders, it was a very frustrating place to play.

There were also tons (TONS) of sightline issues for the fans. Dozens of places in the park where a pillar stood in between you and home plate.

I love the new stadium. It's beautiful, and makes Detroit actually look like a safe, enjoyable place to live. Tigers Stadium I remember being frightened walking in that neighborhood when I was a kid.
I loved old Tigers Stadium and it's uniqueness, but when they built Comerica, they had to leave some of the past behind.

I do miss the old stadium, but Comerica is a nice ball park...and they've won enough big games there to create some good memories in it.

I was lucky enough to get a ticket to the last game at old Tigers Stadium, which was special. I was at one of the first games at Comerica when it opened up.

I saw the Tigers close out the American League Division Series against Oakland in 2006.

I also had a ticket for Game 6 of the World Series that year....but St. Louis closed the series out in 5 games.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 35,350

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Robin Ventura and the WS are going to make Detroit wish they were in the NL, Ok maybe not.

Go WS!
We're going to have a very rough year, unfortunately.
__________________


Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #14
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

It's going to be weird not seeing Ozzie Guillen managing the White Sox this year.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #15
extralife
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4,878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en View Post
Prince and Cabrera has to be the best 3-4 in the majors.
Well, if nothing else they're definitely the fattest.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #16
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Well, if nothing else they're definitely the fattest.
Miggy shed a bunch of weight to play 3rd base this year.

As for Prince....he's definitely Cecil's kid....no paternity test needed.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Miggy shed a bunch of weight to play 3rd base this year.

As for Prince....he's definitely Cecil's kid....no paternity test needed.
Dude's 6'4" 240. He's just a huge guy, not fat.

Fielder, OTOH, is like 280, and only 6'0". Yeah, he fat.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Go Broncos!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,410
Default

MLB has become a joke. until they have a salary cap and a salary floor and force international players to enter the league through the draft, it's a league of "haves" and "have nots". sure, any team can catch lightning in a bottle and enjoy a 2-4 year window of success until their best players reach free agency and go to the Yankees or Red Sox or Cardinals or Mets or whomever. however, at that point it's time to start all over again with the rebuild which will take 8-10 years if everything goes ok.

i can already tell you which teams are highly probable to make the playoffs year in and year out.

Yankees
Red Sox
Mets
Braves
White Sox
Cubs
Cardinals
Angels
Dodgers

that's the NY, Chicago, and LA TV markets, plus 3 other teams willing to outspend everyone else on free agents.

there will be 10 playoff spots starting this year. most years, 7 or 8 of those spots will be filled by the teams i've listed above.

the other teams in their "windows" right now would be the Phillies, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Texas, and maybe Arizona. Milwaukee is done (back to rebuilding for them). everyone else is a 2nd division team. this is the way MLB wants it because it gives them the best chance of a WS with teams from the top 3 or 4 markets in the country.

anyone who thinks the Red Sox missing the playoffs on the last day in 2011 didn't have something to do with Selig and the owners adding another WC team to the AL and NL is not living in reality.

baseball is a great sport. greater than football. there's an elegance to it that no other sport has. but the NFL is a much more fair and competitive league now and that's why the NFL has overtaken MLB in popularity. the current MLB system is great for Yankees and Red Sox and Mets (et. al.) fans, but not so much for anyone else.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #19
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator
 
tesnyde's Avatar
 
Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Robin Ventura and the WS are going to make Detroit wish they were in the NL, Ok maybe not.

Go WS!
I bet Ventura would love nothing better than to knock of Nolan's Rangers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zwDkrGKlCg

One of my favorite Drew Litton cartoons was Nolan taking Ventura out to the woodshed.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #20
strafen
Karma
 
strafen's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,248

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
We're going to have a very rough year, unfortunately.
Tell me about it!
My Red Sox ended the season in turmoil, going into this season with a new manager and our pitching staff still in limbo.
It's going to be rough year for us...
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
JCMElway
Moderate-erator
 
JCMElway's Avatar
 
Dominate!

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 7,217

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Oleg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Robin Ventura and the WS are going to make Detroit wish they were in the NL, Ok maybe not.

Go WS!
Ha, for a minute I thought you meant Washington Senators.
JCMElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #22
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
MLB has become a joke. until they have a salary cap and a salary floor and force international players to enter the league through the draft, it's a league of "haves" and "have nots". sure, any team can catch lightning in a bottle and enjoy a 2-4 year window of success until their best players reach free agency and go to the Yankees or Red Sox or Cardinals or Mets or whomever. however, at that point it's time to start all over again with the rebuild which will take 8-10 years if everything goes ok.

i can already tell you which teams are highly probable to make the playoffs year in and year out.

Yankees
Red Sox
Mets
Braves
White Sox
Cubs
Cardinals
Angels
Dodgers

that's the NY, Chicago, and LA TV markets, plus 3 other teams willing to outspend everyone else on free agents.

there will be 10 playoff spots starting this year. most years, 7 or 8 of those spots will be filled by the teams i've listed above.

the other teams in their "windows" right now would be the Phillies, Tampa Bay, Detroit, Texas, and maybe Arizona. Milwaukee is done (back to rebuilding for them). everyone else is a 2nd division team. this is the way MLB wants it because it gives them the best chance of a WS with teams from the top 3 or 4 markets in the country.

anyone who thinks the Red Sox missing the playoffs on the last day in 2011 didn't have something to do with Selig and the owners adding another WC team to the AL and NL is not living in reality.

baseball is a great sport. greater than football. there's an elegance to it that no other sport has. but the NFL is a much more fair and competitive league now and that's why the NFL has overtaken MLB in popularity. the current MLB system is great for Yankees and Red Sox and Mets (et. al.) fans, but not so much for anyone else.
You can add Detroit to the list of the haves as long as they've got their FO in power. They've been top 5 in spending the past several years.

I agree baseball could benefit from a salary cap, but if you look at the labor history of the sport, it's going to be later rather than sooner. The pendulum has swung back in the players' favor, and there's no way in hell they'll allow for a salary cap. Add to that the fact that half the owners wouldn't be in favor of it either, and it's doubtful if it will ever happen.

I'll always enjoy baseball more than football, regardless of how much the Tigers spend. In addition, there will always be minor league baseball in just about any city I ever live, so you're right, the sport in general to me is just so much better.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #23
houghtam
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
Fire up the grill and turn on the radio/tv....it's almost time for some Deeeetroit Tigers baseball!
Just curious. How do you feel about Rod and Mario? Tigers fans I talk to always seem torn on this.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Dude's 6'4" 240. He's just a huge guy, not fat.

Fielder, OTOH, is like 280, and only 6'0". Yeah, he fat.
I love watching Miggy rake the ball.

I'd take his bat over any other player's right now.

If he stays healthy and controls his alcohol issues, he will put up some all time great numbers.

Dude will only turn 29 this season and already has almost 1,600 hits and almost 1,000 RBIs.

.317 career average (.322 since becoming a Tiger).

The Tigers have Miggy signed through 2015.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #25
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer
 
SouthStndJunkie's Avatar
 
Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 16,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
Just curious. How do you feel about Rod and Mario? Tigers fans I talk to always seem torn on this.
I like Rod and Mario....they aren't all time great announcers by any means, but they are good guys, root for the home team, and Rod cracks me up with some of the **** he comes up with.

They work well together and genuinely seem to get along.

I'm a creature of comfort at times, so hearing the same voices and personalities every night during the broadcasts is somewhat soothing and relaxing.

There are a lot of fans that don't like them, but they are likeable and I never find myself getting tired of listening to them during the season.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:16 PM.


Denver Broncos