The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Anyone here own a Vitamix?

I bought a Vitamix blender recently as part of my training and nutrition regiment for my 200 mile ride this summer, and thought I'd check to see if anyone out there has any favorite recipes or advice. It's not rocket science, really. I just buy a bunch of vegetables and blend them and hope they taste good. I've had to choke down a couple of gross ones (word to the wise, pineapple and sweet peppers don't mix too well).

Any here either juice or blend?
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Baja's big on this - My sister has one and it's pretty awesome. You can even get the grain mill attachment to do your own nut-butters (uhh, you said nut butters) & flours.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
Cosmo
Perennial Pro-bowler

I own a blendtec and a vitamix.

Its not about mixing different things tbh, its about portion amount of vegetables.

You can't put tons of kale or spinach in and expect it to be good no matter what you mix with it.

I personally love spicy smoothies. I spice them up with bell peppers, fresh ginger and jalepenos.

So, again, its not about what you put in it, its how much of something you put in.
Cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I've had an old Champion for years. One thing I discovered - juicing is expensive. I also began to wonder if it was the best thing in the world for my body to drink down the equivalent of a pound of carrots, a pound of celery, two pounds of apples, etc. every day. Now I just use it for health maintenance, detoxes, etc. Not daily.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Falconer
Perennial Pro-bowler

This day is for you

We have one. I do a lot of smoothies. 1 cup oj, 1/2 cup raspberries, 1/2 cup wild blueberries, 1/2 cup blackberries, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 banana.
Falconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I bought a Vitamix blender recently as part of my training and nutrition regiment for my 200 mile ride this summer, and thought I'd check to see if anyone out there has any favorite recipes or advice. It's not rocket science, really. I just buy a bunch of vegetables and blend them and hope they taste good. I've had to choke down a couple of gross ones (word to the wise, pineapple and sweet peppers don't mix too well).

Any here either juice or blend?
I have had my VitaMix for 20 years and it is still running strong I did buy new blades a few years ago. I recently bought a Blend Tec because it is as good as a Vita Mix but lighter and smaller. I got it for travelings.

TJ the best thing you can do is buy "Green for Life" and "The Green Juice Bible"
, you can find both on Amazon. Not only are there hundreds of recipes but both books explain about food combining and the value of adding leafy greens to your smoothies. They are delicious and your kids will love them too.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

I have one, it has been a great purchase. I make a lot of smoothies, soups and use it to make my own flour. I love it.
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #8
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

You might check out this site for tons of free recipes and advice.

http://www.juicefeasting.com/
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Best investment anyone can make for their health period. Well as long as they use it.

Currently I use mine mostly just for datorade (dates and lots of water) or banana smoothies (both highly recommended to get your carbs and energy for training). I'm experimenting with adding just a little bit of hemp seeds with datorade after working out for the extra amino acids. Taste real good actually.

It's great for making your own salad dressings, salsas, sauces, dips and whatever as well.

Not sure if you know this but you can use your Vitamix to juice too and it actually makes top notch juice, better then most juicers. And way easier to clean up. I have owned three juicers and while each one seemed to excell in certain areas the Vitamix is the best overall juicer I've used. While this guy doesn't use a Vitamix, this is the process.

I don't really juice a whole lot anymore but when I did I would try to always have a dark green such as spinach or kale, some celery, then change up a few different veggies such as beets, radish, cabbage, cucumber, etc. Then I would always try to add either a bunch of cilantro or parsley and some lemon or lime, these would help make it more palatable. Still very much so an acquired taste.

A couple of really good juices are
1. 2 apples and a lemon
2. celery and carrot
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Heres acouple more helpful sites;

http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes

http://www.kristinemiles.com/green-smoothies.html
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Baja's big on this - My sister has one and it's pretty awesome. You can even get the grain mill attachment to do your own nut-butters (uhh, you said nut butters) & flours.
I used to have one a long time ago - and i guess I just made the unhealthy stuff. The afore mentioned nut butters and bread (from raw wheat kernels). The bread was pretty cool, because you just start with the whole grains, crush them up, add the yeast and water, then the machine actually kneads the dough and gets it ready to put in the oven. Healthy for "whole grain sake," but still it's bread.

I tried all the natural vegetable juice stuff and just can't stomach it after a while. Probably much better for crating your own healthy (low sodium) soups.

I probably need to dig it out of the pantry and see if it still works after all these years.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Go juice a tree, hippy.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Go juice a tree, hippy.
Keep treating the symtom and not the dis ease doctor and die young with the people you (Mis) treat.

There's nothing quite like a closed mind to facilite remaning ignorent.

Look at the % ages, your group is not curing anything.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Meck77

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post

Ok that's just funny.

I've been juicing on and off since I've been a kid. I grow what I can grow and mulch it.

I've recently been seeing a Chinese Acupuncturist for an old skiing kink in my shoulder who's trying to convince me that cooked vegis are much better for you than raw or juiced. That's going to take some work on his part.

Chinese Diet. See #7 http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...is-873651.html

Last edited by Meck77; 02-22-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Keep treating the symtom and not the dis ease doctor and die young with the people you (Mis) treat.

Look at the % ages, your group is not curing anything.
It's called a joke. You should look into it.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
It's called a joke. You should look into it.
When you have to say "It was a joke" it's not a joke.

Excuse me while i run some salt water through my Nettie Pot. ;-)
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
Bronco Yoda

Anyone try any of the cheaper blenders out there like the Ninja?

We juiced years ago but the cleanup was just such a pain in the butt. I'd like to get something that just grinds everything up without having to cut too much and without the pulpy mess. Fast & easy would be nice if I'm going to use it.

I was just shopping around the other day for one. I was amazed at how many different models there are and how many different options. The prices and options vary so much it's crazy.

I really don't want to spend over $250 for a stupid blender. They were selling some at the stores for over $600 which to me is just stupid.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Anyone try any of the cheaper blenders out there like the Ninja?

We juiced years ago but the cleanup was just such a pain in the butt. I'd like to get something that just grinds everything up without having to cut too much and without the pulpy mess. Fast & easy would be nice if I'm going to use it.

I was just shopping around the other day for one. I was amazed at how many different models there are and how many different options. The prices and options vary so much it's crazy.

I really don't want to spend over $250 for a stupid blender. They were selling some at the stores for over $600 which to me is just stupid.
Juicing and blending are two different things.

Juicing removes the fiber.

Blending blends the contents of the container together.

The best Juicer on the market everything considered is the Green Star 2000

The best blender on the market is the VitaMix with the Blend Tec coming at a close second.

If you only can buy one appliance you should get the Vita Mix which can be used as a juicier as well by straining the blended mixture through cheese cloth that will remove the fiber. You can make "cookies" with the fiber by dehydrating the fiber in a food dehydrator

Last edited by baja; 02-22-2012 at 11:06 AM..
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #19
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

PS when buying a VitaMix be sure to get the 5200 with the variable speed control. They cost about 500 dollars but worth every penny
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
yerner
Ring of Famer

Just got one. It's fantastic. I don't use recipes either. I can pretty much choke down any combo at this point. I think that you just need to go heavy on the greens and veggies and use fruit to make it tolerable. Besides, it's really not supposed to be about the taste is it? Ginger and beets are two of the best things to use and they taste horrible. What's odd is that you start craving them eventually.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #21
Bronco Yoda

$500 for a blender? No thank you.

There's got to be a more reasonably priced solution out there.

This isn't going to be a 'life style' choice for me... just an occasional healthy option. I'm not going into training for anything.

btw. That Vitamix 5200 is $650 @ Costco online.

Last edited by Bronco Yoda; 02-22-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #22
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/2687.spi

here on some shakes on this cleasne I'm just finishing. you can substitue the "sp cleanse" with whey of any flavor.

I use the Ninja Blender and it was 80 bucks.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #23
Bronco Yoda

They have the Ninja at Costco as well. I was looking it over two days ago for a little over $100. Then a couple isles over there's this guy doing a demo on a machine that does the same thing for nearly $500 dollars with less accessories.

I wonder how the Ninja will hold up under veggie drinks and soups.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

I bought a Breville juicer a year ago at Bed Bath and Beyond with the 20% off coupon. Cost about $150 and was the best purchase I have ever made. I did a ten day juice cleanse and rid myself of hives I had from severe allergies. I also lost 17 pounds of unwanted belly and found a new energy to stay focused on healthy eating and exercise.

Now I do a 5 day juice cleanse once every two to three months and a ten day cleanse once a year. Each time I feel better and more energized moving forward. I think its a great way to clear out your system and get your mind and body back on track for a more fit lifestyle.

Great juicing (not blending) recipes here:
http://www.jointhereboot.com/index.p...id=695&lang=en

I like the Great Green Fruity Mix and the Mexican Jugo.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
IHaveALight
the sun is gone

Quote:
When you have to say "It was a joke" it's not a joke.

Excuse me while i run some salt water through my Nettie Pot. ;-)
The Dr. needs his patients so he can pay his bills.
IHaveALight is offline   Reply With Quote