The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 AM   #401
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
I went to cash before the market crapped in 2008. I was in ETF at the time and didn't like the sudden global trend downward. I pushed in heavy with blue chips and reversed my emerging market position for 2012.

Right now is good time to catch a blip upwards.

Does anybody have any understanding on why AAPL (Apple) is still a rocket to the moon? People were calling me out on Apple when it was $191. Apple is at $493 and still rising. I have it. I get it but I don't get it. When is this monster going to top out? Apple is like gold stock.
The Cult of Apple!
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #402
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
The Cult of Apple!
That has to be it!
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #403
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

http://www.streetinsider.com/Insider...t/7153493.html

Warren Buffett is against gold because it does not have an expanding pool of buyers.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #404
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

For the record, the fed announced QE-3 two weeks ago.

They plan to deal with the debt problem by ramping up the printing presses -

We will see untold billions of newly printed dollars in circulation.

The dollar will erode before our eyes -- as it has been doing since 2000.

Answer: put your dollars into things that have real lasting value -- before it's too late.

MHG
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #405
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Apple is about to fall from the tree. They will be out teched and their guru is dead....
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #406
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Welcome back baja.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #407
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Apple is about to fall from the tree. They will be out teched and their guru is dead....
The trick to Apple is applications and their software. Who do you think is going to out tech them? RIM is bleeding everywhere. HP isn't ready for that kind of fight. I don't disagree that Apple is ripe fo the picking but I don't know specifics as to who is threat to them.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #408
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

http://goldsilverprice.net/2011/03/2...r-coming-from/

Is anybody buying oil as a commodity right now? If we've reached peak oil why is Oil as a commodity not a buy?
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #409
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Gold ETF is one way to buy gold without buying gold.
http://etf.about.com/od/typesofetfs/..._Gold_ETFs.htm

Here is a review that believes investing in gold is better than oil.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2578...ty-gold-vs-oil

FYI:
If you really do not believe gold is rising there are Bear oriented stocks where you can bet against gold and get paid for considerig gold is going down. If you really think gold is going down put some money on that!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #410
mosca
grand pubah

honest optimism

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bubby Brister

Quote:
The trick to Apple is applications and their software. Who do you think is going to out tech them? RIM is bleeding everywhere. HP isn't ready for that kind of fight. I don't disagree that Apple is ripe fo the picking but I don't know specifics as to who is threat to them.
The only threat to them that I see is Google. They've had a similar success-story as Apple in recent years.
mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #411
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
How the hell are ya Quietiger

I have a good friend who is rech in the extreme and he kills the market. He has a fortune invested in short selling Apple. I don't know where he gets his info but he told me to load up on puts for Apple next month. He is rarely wrong when he bets this big and would not offer a tip to me if he were not pretty sure about this.

Personally I think with the loss of Jobs they lost their mojo. so I'm in. In fact he put me in for 5 Gs which I thought was a beautiful gester to a friend.

Take this for what it is worth, speculation.

PS typing this in the sun so excuse the bad typing...

Last edited by baja; 02-12-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #412
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca View Post
The only threat to them that I see is Google. They've had a similar success-story as Apple in recent years.
But there is major difference. Apple completely owns it supply chain and all the product (from design to it's sell point), Google is dependent on others and any and all risk in everyone supple chains. It is very interesting business case, can Google and "virtual" network partnership overcome network sole source provider.

Last edited by elsid13; 02-12-2012 at 08:49 AM..
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #413
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
http://goldsilverprice.net/2011/03/2...r-coming-from/

Is anybody buying oil as a commodity right now? If we've reached peak oil why is Oil as a commodity not a buy?
I don't believe the theory of peak oil.

Oil is not a fossil fuel -- it is being continually created deep within the earth. Supply is much greater than we have been led to believe. No danger of running out anytime soon.

That said- -the easy to get oil will run out. They say that in Iraq all you have to do is stick a straw in the ground.

BP was going after really deep oil in the Gulf when they blew the hole.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #414
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosca View Post
Google took an 8% dump. I threw some money at it. Google is a buy and hold. The market was being short sighted.

I don't see Android causing iFone any real problems for awhile.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #415
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:

I have a good friend who is rech in the extreme and he kills the market. He has a fortune invested in short selling Apple. I don't know where he gets his info but he told me to load up on puts for Apple next month. He is rarely wrong when he bets this big and would not offer a tip to me if he were not pretty sure about this.

Personally I think with the loss of Jobs they lost their mojo. so I'm in. In fact he put me in for 5 Gs which I thought was a beautiful gester to a friend.

Send me his info. You have my curiosity.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #416
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
But there is major difference. Apple completely owns it supply chain and all the product (from design to it's sell point), Google is dependent on others and any and all risk in everyone supple chains. It is very interesting business case, can Google and "virtual" network partnership overcome network sole source provider.
Apple gets a lot of it's best designs from it's open source community. Apple's lower development costs combined with it's deep pockets make it an intriguing business model.

No business model is perfect. A&P dominated grocery store business for many years and then suddenly disappeared like White Castle, Packard, and Studebaker.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #417
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:

Definition: Put Option
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Put_option
Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #418
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Apple has lost their best asset: the guy who knew what inventions to embrace.

Apple isn't a company that invents things, it's a company that takes the inventions of others and packages them nicely. Their OS, their hardware, their Phones -- everything -- was invented somewhere else.

The question is, can someone step up and do as good a job as Jobs at picking the winners?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #419
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

My take on equities is as follows.

(You may not want to hear this -- but here it comes anyway.)

Very risky time for stocks in general. I would not go there -- except in very special circumstances.

I have invested $12,000 in two rare earth mines -- in Australia. They are supposed to start producing rare earth elements this year. The only other production of these increasingly important elements is under Chinese control.

China had a corner on the market on rare earths for years. They priced the stuff so low -- that no one could complete. We had a mine in the Mojave that had to shut down.

Then, 14 months ago -- the Chinese announced a sharp decrease in their exports. They are obviously trying to protect their own high tech.

The rare earths are being used increasingly in cells phones, computers, LED lights, wind generator turbines etc etc/

The demand at present is virtually unlimited -- with very limited supply. Other nations are trying to gear up to produce. There's a rush on -- but it takes years to bring a mine into production. The US mine on the Mojave is hampered by red tape -- EPA regs -- and will not get back into production for years.

If the two mines down under start producing as expected -- the stock will have to go up. No where else to go.

It's risky -- but a reasonable gamble. The payoff could be huge.

MHG
Old 02-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #420
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
My take on equities is as follows.

(You may not want to hear this -- but here it comes anyway.)

Very risky time for stocks in general. I would not go there -- except in very special circumstances.

I have invested $12,000 in two rare earth mines -- in Australia. They are supposed to start producing rare earth elements this year. The only other production of these increasingly important elements is under Chinese control.

China had a corner on the market on rare earths for years. They priced the stuff so low -- that no one could complete. We had a mine in the Mojave that had to shut down.

Then, 14 months ago -- the Chinese announced a sharp decrease in their exports. They are obviously trying to protect their own high tech.

The rare earths are being used increasingly in cells phones, computers, LED lights, wind generator turbines etc etc/

The demand at present is virtually unlimited -- with very limited supply. Other nations are trying to gear up to produce. There's a rush on -- but it takes years to bring a mine into production. The US mine on the Mojave is hampered by red tape -- EPA regs -- and will not get back into production for years.

If the two mines down under start producing as expected -- the stock will have to go up. No where else to go.

It's risky -- but a reasonable gamble. The payoff could be huge.

MHG
The best time to invest in equities is when the market is scared. Fear makes millionaries just like it makes paupers. The trick is not being greedy, selfish, or short sighted. Get a reasonable profit and then walk away.

Does this have a stock ticker? How do you invest in this? Do they have a website? I don't do risky. I like to look. If I watch 100 stocks I might invest in 5 or 10 of them. I like watching sectors and taking a look at investment ideas. I am not a gambler. I don't run into burning buildings without having an exit strategy.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #421
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Send me his info. You have my curiosity.
Can't do that. He is a friend and a very private person.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #422
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

Quote:
Not sure why you are telling me this. I know less about the stock market than that grapefruit you ate for breakfast. I was offering the opinion of a very successful friend. Then you ask me to send you his info. Like that's gonna happen...
Old 02-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #423
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:
The best time to invest in equities is when the market is scared. Fear makes millionaries just like it makes paupers. The trick is not being greedy, selfish, or short sighted. Get a reasonable profit and then walk away.

Does this have a stock ticker? How do you invest in this? Do they have a website? I don't do risky. I like to look. If I watch 100 stocks I might invest in 5 or 10 of them. I like watching sectors and taking a look at investment ideas. I am not a gambler. I don't run into burning buildings without having an exit strategy.
Mining is almost by definition considered risky, i.e., speculation.

I'm OK with that because a friend -- a very successful businessman -- spent a lot of time researching the rare earths. He has invested a heck of a lot more money $ in rare earths than I did.

I am not giving away his hard won research on the OM. However, you can easily check it out yourself - -via google. There are only a very limited number of rare earth mines/dealers/sellers on the planet. Start googling -- and then check out the individual companies.

If you discover --as you may -- that Toyota and JP Morgan have invested heavily in a particular rare earth company -- your search is over.

Good luck.

MHG
Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 AM   #424
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Too funny!

Last edited by Odysseus; 02-13-2012 at 12:25 PM..
Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #425
Arkie
Ring of Famer

Say 'what' again, I dare you

Quote:

Keep track of the VIX (fear index) Fear had been low all year, but it shot up Friday. Stocks sell off when the fear goes up.

Arkie is online now   Reply With Quote