The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #126
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'll admit to enjoying Black Knight.
huh, I passed on it.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #127
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Yeah, but I don't have people telling me I should listen to Tito because Janet and Mike had some talent.

Don't watch the Godfather 'trilogy'

Watch I and II. Pretend like III doesn't exist. It was a make-money tack-on anyway. Like that god-awful 'nuclear fallout shelter in a fridge' Indiana Jones reboot.

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #128
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
I didn't think part iii sucked. Casting Sophia wa .... a bad move. But it closed the deal. Michael couldn't give up power without doing one more deal, and it cost him his last chance to reconcile with Kate and his son, and got his daughter killed. And remember Kay had had an abortion that ended her pregnancy with what would have been Michael's second son.

It was slow. And the action almost got in the way of watching Pacino destroy his character.
The problem is the movie itself was a betrayal of Michael's character. It's like it was trying to meld the Godfather universe with the popularity of later movies like Wall Street... drawing political equivalences between Mobsters and Executives.

As far as the character goes, it's hard to visualize how Michael goes from the guy at the end of Godfather II to a hobnobbing high-society type, with no credible bridge built in between. It seems like they built it all up to tear it down in the name of teaching a moral lesson, ala Wall Street.

But Godfathers I and II were windows into a dark world. Part 3 was a condescending tack-on that tried to moralize the whole thing after the fact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:02 PM   #129
Punisher
® Styling And Profiling!
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
Running Wild in the AFC WOOOOOO! ®

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,491

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'll admit to enjoying Black Knight.
smh how many Advils you popped that day?
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #130
Miss I.
Dom Casual Groupie
 
Miss I.'s Avatar
 
You lookin at me?

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: with my sisterwives
Posts: 7,909

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dom Casual
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
The problem is the movie itself was a betrayal of Michael's character. It's like it was trying to meld the Godfather universe with the popularity of later movies like Wall Street... drawing political equivalences between Mobsters and Executives.

As far as the character goes, it's hard to visualize how Michael goes from the guy at the end of Godfather II to a hobnobbing high-society type, with no credible bridge built in between. It seems like they built it all up to tear it down in the name of teaching a moral lesson, ala Wall Street.

But Godfathers I and II were windows into a dark world. Part 3 was a condescending tack-on that tried to moralize the whole thing after the fact.
this I agree with. Plus honestly Al Pacino was at his overacting most annoying in it. He was so much better in the first two, very veiled violence ready to explode...Wasn't the abortion in part 2? I might be foggy on this.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #131
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
It seems like they built it all up to tear it down in the name of teaching a moral lesson, ala Wall Street.
And thus you answered your own question. Nothing to learn from this....no?
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #132
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream
 
BroncoLifer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder County
Posts: 1,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
The problem is the movie itself was a betrayal of Michael's character. It's like it was trying to meld the Godfather universe with the popularity of later movies like Wall Street... drawing political equivalences between Mobsters and Executives.

As far as the character goes, it's hard to visualize how Michael goes from the guy at the end of Godfather II to a hobnobbing high-society type, with no credible bridge built in between. It seems like they built it all up to tear it down in the name of teaching a moral lesson, ala Wall Street.

But Godfathers I and II were windows into a dark world. Part 3 was a condescending tack-on that tried to moralize the whole thing after the fact.
In the words of Tony Soprano, "What happened?..."
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #133
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,661

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

From the top of my head, here are some movies I feel is a must see:

Gone With the Wind - GOAT, the casting of the movie was perfect. Vivian Leigh was masterful.
Ben-Hur - 2nd GOAT, to produce a movie like this today would cost more than it can ever take in
Longest Day
Wizard of Oz
Spartacus
Godfather I, II
God, Bad and the Ugly
Conan the Barbarian - I know, but back then having a movie with this much gore and violence was unheard of.
Exorcist - I am still having nightmares about that movie today
Star Wars I-VI
LOTR Trilogy
Mad Max I & II
Rocky I-IV Adriaaaannnnnnnnnn
All 5 of Bruce Lee's movie - if you could only see one, check out Return of the Dragon. What can be better than Bruce vs Chuck Norris?
Snow White
Cinderella
Sword in the Stone
Airplane - "What kind of plane is it? Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol."
Top Secret
Naked Gun - Hey Look! It's Enrico Pallazzo!
Tombstone - I'll be your Huckleberry
Indiana Jones I-III

If you haven't watched any of these... it might be worth your time to check it out.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 AM   #134
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
In the words of Tony Soprano, "What happened?..."
I read this as Tony Sparano.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #135
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
The problem is the movie itself was a betrayal of Michael's character. It's like it was trying to meld the Godfather universe with the popularity of later movies like Wall Street... drawing political equivalences between Mobsters and Executives.

As far as the character goes, it's hard to visualize how Michael goes from the guy at the end of Godfather II to a hobnobbing high-society type, with no credible bridge built in between. It seems like they built it all up to tear it down in the name of teaching a moral lesson, ala Wall Street.

But Godfathers I and II were windows into a dark world. Part 3 was a condescending tack-on that tried to moralize the whole thing after the fact.
Coppola cashed in, no doubt. But I didn't see a betrayal of Pacino's character. The movie was probably unnecessary, since his wife was gone, and there is only one wife, his son hated him, his wife aborted what would have been his second son, which is a mortal sin in corleone terms, and he killed his only living brother for betrying him.

They took an entire third movie to tell us Michael ended badly.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #136
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

If you're listing war movies, imo you gotta include the Battle of Britain. The actors were elite and the aireal photography was amazing.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #137
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Coppola cashed in, no doubt. But I didn't see a betrayal of Pacino's character. The movie was probably unnecessary, since his wife was gone, and there is only one wife, his son hated him, his wife aborted what would have been his second son, which is a mortal sin in corleone terms, and he killed his only living brother for betrying him.

They took an entire third movie to tell us Michael ended badly.
Nah, just can't see it. At one point Michael talks about how he always just wanted to step the family above the crime and violence and become a legitimate business family, but he couldn't because the more he 'stepped up' or whatever, the more he realized things in business were even more crooked than where he came from.

One... the dude finished the 2nd movie murdering the brother he 'loved' in pretty cold-blooded fashion. Not sure how corporate-style corruption could get much crookeder than that.

And two, more importantly, Michael whining and b****ing about it considering the amount of blood on his hands completely changes the man's character from the first two films. Michael didn't b**** about problems. He dealt with them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #138
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,661

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
If you're listing war movies, imo you gotta include the Battle of Britain. The actors were elite and the aireal photography was amazing.
seen alot of WWII movies, but never Battle of Britain. AMC is pretty good at showing WWII movies during Veterans day.

Don't forget Tora, Tora, Tora, Battle of Midway, Patton and Battle of the Buldge. Or if you want to take it further, Dirty Dozen, Guns of Navarone, the Wild Geese and Where Eagles Dare.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM   #139
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck
 
Chris's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,579

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default

This was a very tough movie to watch but a very good one. It's on netflix. Saw it the other night. It's essentially China's "Schindler's List"

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #140
Rigs11
Ring of Famer
 
Rigs11's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
From the top of my head, here are some movies I feel is a must see:

Gone With the Wind - GOAT, the casting of the movie was perfect. Vivian Leigh was masterful.
Ben-Hur - 2nd GOAT, to produce a movie like this today would cost more than it can ever take in
Longest Day
Wizard of Oz
Spartacus
Godfather I, II
God, Bad and the Ugly
Conan the Barbarian - I know, but back then having a movie with this much gore and violence was unheard of.
Exorcist - I am still having nightmares about that movie today
Star Wars I-VI
LOTR Trilogy
Mad Max I & II
Rocky I-IV Adriaaaannnnnnnnnn
All 5 of Bruce Lee's movie - if you could only see one, check out Return of the Dragon. What can be better than Bruce vs Chuck Norris?
Snow White
Cinderella
Sword in the Stone
Airplane - "What kind of plane is it? Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it looks like a big Tylenol."
Top Secret
Naked Gun - Hey Look! It's Enrico Pallazzo!
Tombstone - I'll be your Huckleberry
Indiana Jones I-III

If you haven't watched any of these... it might be worth your time to check it out.
scarface!
Rigs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #141
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,661

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigs11 View Post
scarface!
Michelle Pfieffer was great. With Pacino, he kinda ruined the movie with his over acting. Good movie, but I don't think it was that great. Pacino in Godfather was awesome.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #142
Archer81
Optimum Homo
 
Archer81's Avatar
 
Tactical Neck.

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 22,711
Default

I do think the thread title is funny. If I have never seen a movie, how can I determine if it's good or not?

...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #143
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,279
Default

Michael Corleone: "Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment."
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #144
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler
 
edog24's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 810
Default

Beer fest
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #145
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Battle of Britain.

The film required a large number of period aircraft. In September 1965 producers Harry Saltzman and S. Benjamin Fisz contacted former RAF Bomber Command Group Captain Hamish Mahaddie to find the aircraft and arrange their use.[2] Eventually 100 aircraft were employed, called the "35th largest air force in the world".[3] With Mahaddie's help, the producers located 109 Spitfires in the UK, of which 27 were available although only 12 could be made flyable. Mahaddie negotiated use of six Hawker Hurricanes, of which three were flying.[4] The film helped preserve these aircraft, including a rare Spitfire Mk II which had been a gate guardian at RAF Colerne.[2]

During the actual aerial conflict, all RAF Spitfires were Spitfire Mk I and Mark II variants. However, only one Mk Ia and one Mk IIa (the latter with a Battle of Britain combat record) could be made airworthy, so the producers had to use seven other different marks, all of them built after the battle. To achieve commonality, the production made some modifications to "standardise" the Spitfires, including adding elliptical wingtips, period canopies and other changes. To classic aircraft fans, they became known as "Mark Haddies" (a play on Grp. Capt. Mahaddie's name).[2] A pair of two-seat trainer Spitfires were camera platforms to achieve realistic aerial footage inside the battle scenes.[5] A rare Hawker Hurricane XII had been restored by Canadian Bob Diemert, who flew the aircraft in the film. Eight non-flying Spitfires and two Hurricanes were set dressing, with one Hurricane able to taxi.[6]

....
For the German aircraft, the producers obtained 32 CASA 2.111 twin-engined bombers, a Spanish-built version of the German Heinkel He 111H-16. They also located 27 Hispano Aviación HA-1112 M1L 'Buchon' single-engined fighters, a Spanish version of the German Messerschmitt Bf 109. The Buchons were altered to look more like correct Bf 109Es, adding mock machine guns and cannon, redundant tailplane struts, and removing the rounded wingtips.[8] The Spanish aircraft were powered by British Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, and thus almost all the aircraft used, British and German alike, were Merlin-powered. [N 2] After the film, one HA-1112 was donated to the German Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr, and converted to a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 variant, depicting the insignias of German ace Gustav Rödel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain_(film)

It's not so much that it's a good movie. Off the top of my head I'm hard pressed to think of a "good" war movie. They're all political propaganda in one way or another, even MASH. But it was an amazing piece of filmmaking to go out in the late 1960s and find 75 flyable WWII planes. It's not like they had blue screens or computers.

it's avail on disk via netflix

Last edited by bendog; 02-01-2012 at 12:54 PM..
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #146
Bronco Yoda
.
 
Bronco Yoda's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 9,279
Default

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #147
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
an event, not a movie
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #148
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream
 
BroncoLifer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boulder County
Posts: 1,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingTiger View Post
Michelle Pfieffer was great. With Pacino, he kinda ruined the movie with his over acting. Good movie, but I don't think it was that great. Pacino in Godfather was awesome.
Make way for the bad guy!

His overacting is exactly why I like Scarface. Gives it a sort of an over the top, campy feeling to go along with the megaviolence. I don't know why it works, it just does.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #149
SleepingTiger
Ring of Famer
 
SleepingTiger's Avatar
 
Ole J

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Murphy TX
Posts: 1,661

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tony Carter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoLifer View Post
Make way for the bad guy!

His overacting is exactly why I like Scarface. Gives it a sort of an over the top, campy feeling to go along with the megaviolence. I don't know why it works, it just does.
then you must love him in Devils Advocate and Heat.
SleepingTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #150
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

I didn't mind him in Advocate, but I really dislike Canoe Reeves. He makes Kevin Costner seem dynamic.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Denver Broncos