The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #376
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
It's gone up every year, like walking up a hill with a yo-yo. Long term investors have their eyes on the hill. The only time to look at the yo-yo is when buying on the dips.
looks like it may not go up this year...only $150 higher than what it started the year at. Its below its 200 moving day average. I still think we see sub $1K
ak1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 AM   #377
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak1971 View Post
looks like it may not go up this year...only $150 higher than what it started the year at. Its below its 200 moving day average. I still think we see sub $1K
The securities markets have been great for nice big swings for a long time now.
Just wait for the dips and take the moderate ups for nice profits. Follow them up with 10% stop losses and you'll rarely get hurt.

You can't eat, buy groceries or fill the truck up with gas using gold the last time I looked so I don't need any of it unless the price is really right or I strike it rich digging holes for new spruces on the property.

Last edited by Bronco_Beerslug; 12-16-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Bronco_Beerslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #378
ak1971
uhhhh

Stop losses are for pussies!

Ive actually had a couple ten baggers which would have been duds if I would have used a stop loss..but then again my portfolio should probably be viewed with a gallon of Pepto Bismol.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #379
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Stop losses are for pussies!

Ive actually had a couple ten baggers which would have been duds if I would have used a stop loss..but then again my portfolio should probably be viewed with a gallon of Pepto Bismol.
Nice! If I had reliable Internet here I'd get a little more aggressive.
Interest rates are hitting new record lows again so I'm looking at properties once more. I really don't want to get into too much land lording but there are great buys out there!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #380
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_Beerslug View Post
Nice! If I had reliable Internet here I'd get a little more aggressive.
Interest rates are hitting new record lows again so I'm looking at properties once more. I really don't want to get into too much land lording but there are great buys out there!
Try trading options on a 1st generation android phone on the light rail with spotty coverage...get to work and say ...'I ****ing bought what?'

Its getting tempting to buy RE with rates this low..I still don't think we have hit bottom with values in CO yet though.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #381
Bronco_Beerslug
Angling in the Deep

Quote:
Try trading options on a 1st generation android phone on the light rail with spotty coverage...get to work and say ...'I ****ing bought what?'
Got to have a set to trade these days anyway.
Quote:
Its getting tempting to buy RE with rates this low..I still don't think we have hit bottom with values in CO yet though.
I don't think there is bottom yet either but there are properties out there that are hard to pass up. I bought a another bank owned two years ago and am glad I did. The price on a lot these places are so low that they will pay off nicely someday.
You can always fix them up just enough to rent for now (to cover your expenses) and sell down the road.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #382
ak1971
uhhhh

Quote:
I don't think there is bottom yet either but there are properties out there that are hard to pass up. I bought a another bank owned two years ago and am glad I did. The price on a lot these places are so low that they will pay off nicely someday.
You can always fix them up just enough to rent for now (to cover your expenses) and sell down the road.
I hear you,...and I know you can. I just don't have the time or patience for illiquid assets.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #383
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3155...iversification

2012 Outlook For Gold: Positive Fundamentals Remain And Crucial Diversification
1 comment | December 22, 2011 | includes: AGOL, DGL, DGLD, DGP, DGZ, DZZ, GLD, GLL, IAU, PHYS, SGOL, UBG,

Introduction

With just a few trading days left in 2011, we can take stock of gold’s performance vis--vis other assets.

Gold is 13.7% higher in USD, 12% higher in GBP and 14.4% higher in EUR. Gains were seen in all fiat currencies and even stronger performing fiat currencies such as the CNY (yuan) and JPY (+9% and +8.75% respectively).

(Click to enlarge)

G10 and Gold in USD in 2011 (YTD)

Stock markets globally had a torrid year with the S&P500 down 1.3%, the FTSE down 8% and the CAC and DAX down 19% and 15% respectively. Asian stock markets also fell with the Nikkei down 17%, the Hang Seng 20% and the Shanghai SE down 22%.

The MSCI World Index fell 9%.

Thus, gold again acted as a safe haven and protected and preserved wealth over the long term.

While gold reached record nominal highs at $1,915/oz in August, it is important to continually emphasize that gold remains well below the real high, adjusted for inflation, in 1980 of $2,500/oz.

Gold today at $1,625/oz is 18% below the record nominal high of $1915/oz in August 2011. More importantly, gold remains 46% below its real high of $2,500/oz.

Since 2003, we have said that gold would likely reach the real high from 1980 for a variety of important fundamental reasons – such as global debt levels, global demographics and geopolitical, macroeconomic, monetary and systemic risk.

Money Creating Central Banks May Push Gold to New Nominal Record in 2012

(cont'd)
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #384
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blart View Post
Hah, I'm just getting out of precious metals now. It's been an awesome 6 year run!
I think it's got one or two more years left. Check out the Sharp's ratios.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #385
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Got to have a set to trade these days anyway.
I don't know. A chic I know is pulling $5,000-10,000 per month from trades while her husband baby sits around the house.

----

I am into real estate investing as well but I am extremely cautious.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3271...urther-to-fall

Why Home Prices Have Much Further To Fall
26 comments | January 31, 2012

There has been a deluge of articles recently about the upticks in the housing data. The consensus is that these data points are surely pointing, finally, to a bottom in the depressing decline of real estate. Let me acknowledge that I do not dispute the improvement in the data regarding home starts, permits, pending sales, etc., however, let's be clear that all of these data points are still mired at very depressed levels. So, while optimism is certainly always a welcome thing, for the average American, the world is quite different.

(Note: I suggest a review of recent posts on Housing Is Not Affordable and The Margin Effect for more background on why housing is going to be in the trenches much longer than expected)

The point I want to specifically address today is home prices. After the past few bloody years of price declines, and repeated calls of a housing bottom each year, 2012 proves to be no different with yet more calls for a bottom. However, why shouldn't there be? Home prices have declined, according to our NAR/Core Logic Composite Index (an average of the two), by a whopping 36%. Interest rates are at their lowest levels ever and you can still get low down payment mortgage if you can qualify. (That last part is a bit tricky though.) Therefore, the assumption is that if home building is stabilizing then it is only a function of time until home prices began to rise as well. Right? Not so fast.

People Buy Payments - Not Houses

When the average American family sits down to discuss buying a home they do not discuss buying a $125,000 house. What they do discuss is what type of house they need such as a three bedroom house with two baths, a two car garage and a yard. That is the dream part. The reality of it smacks them in the face, however, when they start reconciling their monthly budget.

Here is a statement I hae not heard discussed by the media. People do not buy houses - they buy a payment. The payment is ultimately what drives how much house they buy. Why is this important? Because it is all about interest rates.

(con'td)

Last edited by Odysseus; 02-01-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #386
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
It's gone up every year, like walking up a hill with a yo-yo. Long term investors have their eyes on the hill. The only time to look at the yo-yo is when buying on the dips.
Gold is tied to declining dollar and increasing oil prices but there are other currency factors where people are repositioning into Gold.

I think of Gold like Apple stock. It's a strong buy for a strong short run.

Anybody jumping on the Facebook IPO?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #387
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
Gold is tied to declining dollar and increasing oil prices but there are other currency factors where people are repositioning into Gold.

I am in cash right now. I am waiting for a 5 to 10 percent drop before I get back in.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #388
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://gizmodo.com/5881223/reminder-...-make-you-rich
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #389
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Long story short: hell no.

I just bought gold - and soon will buy stock in two rare earth mines.

Facebook is here today but it will be gone tomorrow.
mhgaffney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #390
Meck77

Quote:
*shakes head*

As I type this gold is up 28.37% from this very day last year.

You still have time to get on the "slow/boring" train before buying gold/silver really go mainstream.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/03/pf/s...source=cnn_bin

You called for $1,000 gold. lol I sold 6 damn goats in aurora for close to that recently. An ounce of gold for a grand. No way.

Last edited by Meck77; 02-03-2012 at 09:46 AM..
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #391
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I am in cash right now. I am waiting for a 5 to 10 percent drop before I get back in.
That sounds like a good move. I am not sure if it is going to spike, dive and then trend or trend upwards on a stable climb. It's worth watching.

Silver seems off on the Sharp's ratio compared to gold but there are some pretty interesting returns on precious metals ETF.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #392
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
Long story short: hell no.

I just bought gold - and soon will buy stock in two rare earth mines.

Facebook is here today but it will be gone tomorrow.
Any stock tips you care to share?

I think Haliburton is a buy. HAL has some interesting prospects as an alternative to XOM.

I think AAPL is almost peaked but worth a buy. It's an expensive stock.

REITS are still paying high dividends but you have to watch the news.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #393
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck77 View Post
*shakes head*

As I type this gold is up 28.37% from this very day last year.

You still have time to get on the "slow/boring" train before buying gold/silver really go mainstream.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/03/pf/s...source=cnn_bin

You called for $1,000 gold. lol I sold 6 damn goats in aurora for close to that recently. An ounce of gold for a grand. No way.
Gold going up seems to be attached to strength of dollar and price of oil. It depends on if the dollar is at risk of deflation or hyperinflation. I don't think that world interests would do well with either dollar scenario.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #394
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
This is a pretty good link. I am surprised that it did not mention Goldman Sachs. Goldman Sachs seems to be in bed with all the players right now. Since Goldman owns a healthy chunk of New York times I wonder how much influence they have over media.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #395
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonch...ities-of-gold/

Why Are the Chinese Buying Record Quantities of Gold?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #396
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
This is a pretty good link. I am surprised that it did not mention Goldman Sachs. Goldman Sachs seems to be in bed with all the players right now. Since Goldman owns a healthy chunk of New York times I wonder how much influence they have over media.
Kinda like how Monsanto keeps their names off of products. I'm not sure how much influence they weild, beyond - you know - being PM of italy.

This goes back to how much of the information is shaped to the reality that your corporate sponsors want you to see.

I maintain the position that I can read things, but with out experiencing them directly, the information i receive is always suspect.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #397
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Kinda like how Monsanto keeps their names off of products. I'm not sure how much influence they weild, beyond - you know - being PM of italy.

This goes back to how much of the information is shaped to the reality that your corporate sponsors want you to see.

I maintain the position that I can read things, but with out experiencing them directly, the information i receive is always suspect.
Agreed.

That is why it is always better to take a "naive" look at things and see if you can see something that you didn't see before.

The real world is a complicated place where everything is a shade of gray. You can read all you want but if you don't ask questions you will never uncover what you know or don't know.

Most people are more scared of being wrong than learning anything.

Right now oil is at an all time low. Oil, oddly enough, seems to go opposite of gold prices. American dollar gets weak and gold gets strong.

Gas prices are high because they are trying to shore up profits they lost and provide themselves better profit margins in case oil spikes.

China plans for their future. America just reacts. It's too be we are so short sighted and have such a weak memory of the past.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #398
Odysseus
Fan of the home team

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mark Schlereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I went to cash before the market crapped in 2008. I was in ETF at the time and didn't like the sudden global trend downward. I pushed in heavy with blue chips and reversed my emerging market position for 2012.

Right now is good time to catch a blip upwards.

Does anybody have any understanding on why AAPL (Apple) is still a rocket to the moon? People were calling me out on Apple when it was $191. Apple is at $493 and still rising. I have it. I get it but I don't get it. When is this monster going to top out? Apple is like gold stock.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:28 AM   #399
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I went to cash before the market crapped in 2008. I was in ETF at the time and didn't like the sudden global trend downward. I pushed in heavy with blue chips and reversed my emerging market position for 2012.

Right now is good time to catch a blip upwards.

Does anybody have any understanding on why AAPL (Apple) is still a rocket to the moon? People were calling me out on Apple when it was $191. Apple is at $493 and still rising. I have it. I get it but I don't get it. When is this monster going to top out? Apple is like gold stock.
I suspect that everyone is hoping they split the shares and want to get onboard before they do.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #400
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Agreed.

That is why it is always better to take a "naive" look at things and see if you can see something that you didn't see before.

The real world is a complicated place where everything is a shade of gray. You can read all you want but if you don't ask questions you will never uncover what you know or don't know.

Most people are more scared of being wrong than learning anything.

Right now oil is at an all time low. Oil, oddly enough, seems to go opposite of gold prices. American dollar gets weak and gold gets strong.

Gas prices are high because they are trying to shore up profits they lost and provide themselves better profit margins in case oil spikes.

China plans for their future. America just reacts. It's too be we are so short sighted and have such a weak memory of the past.

I have this friend who pretty much only listens to Alex Jones for his "news". Everything is always "the globalists this, or the Illuminati that". We both work for large "state" entities. I asked him, what Illuminati conspiracy is he being a part of? Obviously I know what part of the conspiracy i'm part of.

I've noticed that Oil & Gold react differently. I never understood how some of the speculation mechanisms worked...mostly due to the fact that it's not my "trade", and I don't have any influence to gain introspection into the "why's".

I'm trying to direct long term thinking to the culture directly around me.

I've been applying some new philosophies, and it appears that they are successful.

5GW is how i'm running part of the biz i'm invested in now.