The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #301
BroncoBeavis

Love these arguments. Harvin was a runningback because he had some rushing yards (guess Royal and Decker are RBs now). But Hernandez wasn't a receiver because he was a tight end, even though he's lined up wide at times. Or wait, he's a runningback because the Pats had him in the backfield.

What's the point again?

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 01-31-2012 at 06:09 AM..
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM   #302
StugotsIII
O-H

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I wondered why you kept posting as if Harvin was a running back. You thought he was a running back.

Harvin was a receiver for the Gators. And he was drafted high.
He wasn't a running back in college…

He wasn't a wide receiver in college…

He was a Harvin in college…

Anytime someone rushes the ball nearly 200 times in their college career and averages nearly 10 yards a carry….I'd say that classifies them as a running back.

He was definitely a hybrid...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #303
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
He wasn't a running back in college…

He wasn't a wide receiver in college…

He was a Harvin in college…

Anytime someone rushes the ball nearly 200 times in their college career and averages nearly 10 yards a carry….I'd say that classifies them as a running back.

He was definitely a hybrid...
What is your point again? That Tebow broke SEC PASSING RECORDS throwing to a bunch of scrubs?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM   #304
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
Love these arguments. Harvin was a runningback because he had some rushing yards (guess Royal and Decker are RBs now). But Hernandez wasn't a receiver because he was a tight end, even though he's lined up wide at times. Or wait, he's a runningback because the Pats had him in the backfield.

What's the point again?
No one said he is just a RB but 50 plus carries for a WR is more then most teams number three RBs. Can you name another WR with 50 plus carries in a season?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #305
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
No one said he is just a RB but 50 plus carries for a WR is more then most teams number three RBs. Can you name another WR with 50 plus carries in a season?
Why would I bother? What difference does it make? I'm missing a point here somewhere I guess.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #306
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Harvin had 83 carries one season in college in 12 games. Darren Sproles had 87 carries this year in the NFL in 16 games.

If Harvin didnt have migrane issues the guy would be a big impact player with bigger stats. He had 52 carries this year as well.
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #307
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Harvin had 83 carries one season in college in 12 games. Darren Sproles had 87 carries this year in the NFL in 16 games.
Sproles also had 86 catches this year, and had more receiving yards than rushing. So I guess Sproles is a WR now.

Anyway WTF is the point?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #308
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Sproles also had 86 catches this year, and had more receiving yards than rushing. So I guess Sproles is a WR now.

Anyway WTF is the point?
There isn't one. They're just trying to desperately deflect from their losing "argument"
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #309
Jay3

Quote:

Anyway WTF is the point?
I think it started as an attempt to say Tebow was surrounded by very strong rushing backs at Florida, and it was not because of Tebow that Florida had success.

And so I guess one of the examples of that was that Florida had a WR running the ball a lot. Somehow that was supposed to illustrate that Tebow was surrounded by great running backs.

But Harvin was not a "running back" in any conventional sense. He was listed as WR, lined up as a starting WR. They had him run the ball just like Royal sometimes does, and now Aaron Hernandez often does for the Patriots.

But he was never a workhorse, and his high yards per carry shows he was used on a lot of "big play" opportunities and jet sweeps.

I agree he's a special player, and one of the most gifted running back-type receivers. But for the original point? Whiff.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #310
Jay3

One time the started running Percy between the tackles like Tebow does, and Harvin came out and said he wasn't going to do it anymore. The pounding is too much, he said.

It gets pretty vicious in there, up the middle.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #311
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I think it started as an attempt to say Tebow was surrounded by very strong rushing backs at Florida, and it was not because of Tebow that Florida had success
Ok, so Tebow's success at QB and highest passer rating in SEC history was aided by the fact that his top wideout was really a running back and the rest of his receivers weren't really talented enough for the NFL.

Got it. Moving on.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #312
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

33Kestahn MooreRB5' 10"212SR4LArlington, Texas/Mansfield Summit
44Ean McQuayRB5' 8"168RFRSQHavana/Florida High
3Chris RaineyRB5' 9"185RFR1LLakeland/Lakeland
21Emmanuel MoodyRB6' 0"210RSO1LCoppell, Texas/Southern Cal
20Christopher ScottRB6' 0"205RJRTREnglewood/Lemon Bay/Santa Fe C.C.
1Percy HarvinRB/WR5' 11"195JR3LVirginia Beach, Va./Landstown
22Cade HollidayS5' 11"195RJR3LGainesville/Green Hope (N.C.)
24John CurtisS6' 2"215RSR1LRockledge/Cocoa Beach
10Will HillS6' 1"203FR1LWest Orange, N.J./St. Peter's Preparatory
35Ahmad BlackS5' 9"190SO1LLakeland/Lakeland
46Cody WortonS6' 2"205RSOSQHomestead, Fla./South Dade
7Justin WilliamsS6' 1"205RSO2LFolkston, Ga./Charlton County
31Bryan ThomasS6' 1"205RSO1LZephyrhills, Fla./Zephyrhills
21Major WrightS6' 0"200SO2LMiramar/St. Thomas Aquinas
20Dorian MunroeS5' 11"205RJR2LMiami/Coral Reef
84Tate CaseyTE6' 6"251RSR4LLongview, Texas/Longview
81Aaron HernandezTE6' 3"255SO2LBristol, Conn./Bristol Central
7Cornelius IngramTE6' 4"245RSR3LHawthorne/Hawthorne
82Christopher ColemanTE6' 3"245RSOSQLake City/Lake City/Santa Fe CC
88Paul WilsonWR6' 0"190RFRSQLakeland/Lakeland
3Brandon FrazierWR6' 3"200RSOSQJacksonville/Samuel W. Wolfson
6Deonte ThompsonWR6' 0"195RFR1LBelle Glade/Glades Central
82Omarius HinesWR6' 1"205FRHSCorsicana, Texas/Corsicana
9Louis MurphyWR6' 3"205SR4LSt. Petersburg/Lakewood
16Carl MooreWR6' 3"220JR1LRancho Cordova, Calif./Cordova (Sierra C.C.)
11Riley CooperWR6' 3"215JR3LClearwater, Fla./Central Catholic
83David NelsonWR6' 5"215RJR2LWichita Falls, Texas/Rider
18T.J. LawrenceWR6' 1"185FRHSLakeland/Kathleen
85Frankie Hammond, Jr.WR6' 0"170FRHSHollywood/Hallandale

Percy, Murphy and Hernandez are the only ones I'm aware of that made the jump to the NFL level (and Andre Caldwell the year prior).

Not too bad, but hardly carrying him.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #313
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

[QUOTE=BroncoBeavis;3480788]Sproles also had 86 catches this year, and had more receiving yards than rushing. So I guess Sproles is a WR now.

Anyway WTF is the point?[/QUOTE]

Perfect! "Beavis" is lost!!

If you dont know why or what we are talking about, which is the third time you have said that then why are you even replying? Go back and find the point and the statenent that MacGoober made that started this.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #314
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think it started as an attempt to say Tebow was surrounded by very strong rushing backs at Florida, and it was not because of Tebow that Florida had success.

And so I guess one of the examples of that was that Florida had a WR running the ball a lot. Somehow that was supposed to illustrate that Tebow was surrounded by great running backs.

But Harvin was not a "running back" in any conventional sense. He was listed as WR, lined up as a starting WR. They had him run the ball just like Royal sometimes does, and now Aaron Hernandez often does for the Patriots.

But he was never a workhorse, and his high yards per carry shows he was used on a lot of "big play" opportunities and jet sweeps.

I agree he's a special player, and one of the most gifted running back-type receivers. But for the original point? Whiff.

Kinda sorta but not really. It was stated that Harvin played a lot of RB and MacGoober said he never was a RB so a video was posted plus some stats showing he played a lot of RB and now a roster saying he was a RB/WR.

Ill give you everytime that Tebow was an outstanding college QB and he was accurate there. But this isnt college anymore and the players are much beter and now he isnt accurate trying to play a more conventional type of offense. Sure they can keep using him as they are which is a lot like college but he isnt going to last very long being used that way and only being a 46% passer isnt going to cut it either.

As a Charger fan i hope they start him next year.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-31-2012 at 11:26 AM..
Old 01-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #315
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

wow, this thread's like being drunk. And not in the good way.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #316
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 PM   #317
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

At the very least , we should all be able to agree that, regardless of their relative value as college QBs, Cam Newton was ranked far higher than Tim Tebow on draft boards and unanimously believed the better pro prospect.

That's reality.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #318
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
At the very least , we should all be able to agree that, regardless of their relative value as college QBs, Cam Newton was ranked far higher than Tim Tebow on draft boards and unanimously believed the better pro prospect.

That's reality.
You know what else is reality. Newton watched Tebow in the playoffs.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #319
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

That's reality.
And performed much better as well, last year...
Missouribronc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #320
underrated29
10-6 baby.

Cutler doesnt suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All those are true, but cam was also more polished as well. That is why I never understand people arguments here.

Cam was better, was ranked higher, etc etc etc. Yeah, so what. He was polished and expected to do that. That is why he was an unquestioned top 10 pick...

Tebow- NO ONE- repeat NO ONE on EARTH thought tebow was polished and ready to be a top 10 pick. NO ONE expected tebow to come in right away and be good. TIM TEBOW IS THE BIGGEST PROJECT PLAYER IN THE HISTORY OF THE NFL!

Yet for some reason, people seem to forget that, I do not know why, and just move straight on to the Cam was ranked higher, and played better.

Well, DUH!

Its like saying my F14 Tomcat is going to out fly and maneuver your prototype plane. Of course it is. One is ready for action right away, there was never questions about it. The other not so much, but nonetheless was thrown into action anyway. It is such a dumb and silly argument.
underrated29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #321
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Kinda sorta but not really. It was stated that Harvin played a lot of RB and MacGoober said he never was a RB so a video was posted plus some stats showing he played a lot of RB and now a roster saying he was a RB/WR.

Ill give you everytime that Tebow was an outstanding college QB and he was accurate there. But this isnt college anymore and the players are much beter and now he isnt accurate trying to play a more conventional type of offense. Sure they can keep using him as they are which is a lot like college but he isnt going to last very long being used that way and only being a 46% passer isnt going to cut it either.

As a Charger fan i hope they start him next year.
Only a Powder Blue fan could look at this offense and use the word 'conventional'
Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #322
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You know what else is reality. Newton watched Tebow in the playoffs.
Some teams have to play in a division that takes more then 8 games to win it. The team played great and much better under Tebow but lets not act like this team is a world beater or Tebow is right now.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:20 AM   #323
Jay3

Quote:
Some teams have to play in a division that takes more then 8 games to win it. The team played great and much better under Tebow but lets not act like this team is a world beater or Tebow is right now.
There ain't no division you can win with 6 wins, though.

Cam played on a bad team, but he himself showed an amazing ability to not win games. There were many times where I thought for sure they'd win, and he would disappear and finish out with a whimper.

He'll get better. But that's on him. Stats aren't everything.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #324
Jay3

Quote:
Yeah, really. Go back and look at why Harvin was being discussed in a Cam Newton thread to begin with. In an effort to detract from Tebow, it was stated he was surrounded by great running backs in college.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #325
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

That's reality.
Who cares what people though as they were coming out of college? Brady went in the 6th...

Tebow took the second worst team in the league to a playoff win. He did this after being spotted a 1-4 record. Cam started from day one and lost a ton with the worst team in the league. Tebow easily outperformed Newton. Both have a lot of growing to do though. It really isn't about right now. What really matters is what each develops into after a few years of experience.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote