The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #176
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Is it possible that he doesn't know Cam went to Jr College AFTER leaving/being told to get out of Fla?
You guys are really clueless... it's incredible the fantasy world that has grown aground Cam... it's really inexplicable.. WTF has Cam ever done? He had one completely fluke overblown season on a loaded team ideally built for a run first QB,... then he had another completely overblown season that was a virtual carbon copy of Orton's season last year.. and people are still deluding their self..

It reminds me of this Matt Flynn madness based on selective memory..


http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ive-qb-ca.html

Quote:
The former five-star recruit entered the 2008 season battling for the backup job with redshirt freshman John Brantley, who now appears to be the future of Florida once Tim Tebow leaves. Newton, an undeniably talented athlete, will end his Gators career with 113 rushing yards along with 6-of-12 passing for 54 yards.

Cecil said he never found closure from Florida Coach Urban Meyer about his sonís future as a Gator once Mullen left, though he understands the Gators have priorities while fighting for a national title.

"Was he No. 2 or No. 3? We never really did define that," Cecil said about Camís status in the lineup. "And the verdict is out on whether Tim will stay or go this season."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #177
StugotsIII
O-H
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,535

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
You guys are really clueless... it's incredible the fantasy world that has grown aground Cam... it's really inexplicable.. WTF has Cam ever done? He had one completely fluke overblown season on a loaded team ideally built for a run first QB,... then he had another completely overblown season that was a virtual carbon copy of Orton's season last year.. and people are still deluding their self..

It reminds me of this Matt Flynn madness based on selective memory..


http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...ive-qb-ca.html
University of Florida


Newton, far left, with Dan Mullen, Tim Tebow, John Brantley, and Bryan Waggener during his freshman season at UF.
In 2007, as a freshman, Newton earned the spot over fellow freshman quarterback John Brantley as the back-up for star quarterback and eventual Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow. He played in five games and threw for 40 yards on 5-of-10 passing and ran the ball 16 times for 103 yards and three touchdowns.[12] In 2008, during his sophomore season, Newton played in the season opener against Hawaii, but then suffered an ankle injury and decided to take a medical redshirt season.[13]
On November 21, 2008, Newton was arrested for alleged theft of a laptop computer from a student at the University of Florida. He was subsequently suspended from the team after the laptop was found to be in his possession.[14] Campus police "tracked the stolen laptop to the athlete...Newton tossed the computer out his dorm window in a humorously ill-advised attempt to hide it from cops."[15] All charges against Newton were dropped after he completed a court-approved pre-trial diversion program. "I believe that a person should not be thought of as a bad person because of some senseless mistake that they made," said Newton in 2010. "I think every person should have a second chance. If they blow that second chance, so be it for them."[16] Newton announced his intention to transfer from Florida three days before the Gators' national championship win over Oklahoma.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cam_Newton
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #178
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,155

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
You said he just had his best year in the NFL. Well it was his only year in the NFL to date so that would be correct of all ROOKIES.
Wow. If this threads shown anything, it's that you have serious issues follow the flow of a conversation. I think it was clear that I was saying he's peaked and just had the best year he's ever going to have in the NFL.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #179
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Cam was the starter the entire time at Auburn.
Not going into the season he wasn't... keep deluding yourself...

Quote:
You aren't getting it...FLORIDA WASN'T ALLOWING NEWTON TO CONTINUE AT FLORIDA....So he went elsewhere..
Prove it. You claim that is a fact so prove it... they didn't even use cam when he wasn't in trouble.. only in garbage time. Hardly shows he was some dominant athlete as you claim..

Quote:
he didn't want to sit out a year so he played for a small school, then the next year was the #1 recruit in the nation.

Cam went to Auburn because his daddy told him to go there because Auburn paid for him to go.

These are FACTS.

It is ALSO a fact that Newton WAS Tebow's direct backup before leaving school...
No.. those are delusions.. Cam's dad states the facts in the article...

Last edited by MacGruder; 01-30-2012 at 04:42 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #180
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
(Talk about competing for the starting job)
"One thing about me: I don't want nothing given to me. Because first off, if something's given to you, 'Here, you're the starter', then the respect level with your teammates, you're not going to have the same respect as if you earn everything that you get. So I want to earn, from earning Gatorade to earning the towel to earning anything. I want to earn all of my whatever. Because people are entitled to their own opinion about you. And if they see, oh, coach gave Cam the starting spot. No. They're going to say Cam earned the starting spot, and if I'm not the starter, it's because the person worked harder than me."

(Talk about your departure from Florida)
"While I was at Florida, of course a lot of people think I got kicked out of Florida. I did not get kicked out of Florida.
I transferred from Florida. I had a legal issue, a slip-up with the computer issue that I had bought from a person, which was stolen. That issue was taken care of way before I even left Florida. The charges were dropped and what-not. But I left Florida because I felt like the type of player I was, I didn't want to sit behind no one, because I have dreams, I have aspirations to be a starter for a Division I NCAA team, and I think while I was at Florida, I probably wasn't going to get that, with Tim Tebow at the reigns and John Brantley, me and him at the same classification, something was going to have to give...
From the horse faces own mouth.. bwahahahhaha

I am sure you will keep deluding yourself though...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #181
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StugotsIII View Post
Newton left because he was not welcome back...after cheating on numerous tests and stealing an expensive laptop and lying about it to police.
Sounds like the guy I want leading my team. Along with his "I'm like a caged lion that can't be caged" parable brilliance- I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a Vince Young-like flameout.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #182
Popps
TEAM FIRST.
 
Popps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 29,799
Default

All caps ban.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #183
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer
 
Boltjolt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Absolutely, I think the sky's the limit for Cam in the NFL. I think I'd rather him than Andrew Luck.

But I don't understand why it's so hard to conclude he had a lousy game yesterday.

Maybe it's because, if you allow for a minute that a quarterback with a bright future can have horrible stats in a losing game, then maybe Tebow's last postseason game doesn't mean he can't play at this level, either.

Maybe, just maybe, Cam stepped into a good situation offensively, one that was geared to help him succeed, and he made the most of it. Because in an environment yesterday where it was more vanilla NFL, he crapped the bed.
I understand that. Im not the one saying Tebow is better or Newton sux because of how he played in the probowl.
Now Tebow on the other hand hasnt had good passing stats in but one game. I reiterate...he was a 46.5% passer during the season in which the rules are so lax , how can you not be 50% at least?
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #184
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
I understand that. Im not the one saying Tebow is better or Newton sux because of how he played in the probowl.
Now Tebow on the other hand hasnt had good passing stats in but one game. I reiterate...he was a 46.5% passer during the season in which the rules are so lax , how can you not be 50% at least?
You are only looking at one stat.. completion percentage.. and ignoring yard per attempt and turnovers...

As well as talent on the offenses...

Not to mention that Fox is trying to play a complementary style that focus es on the run game.. complete opposite of what the Panthers were doing.

Why is it so hard for people to understand completion percentage is only one small part of stats?

If Tebow was as bad as his completion percentage appears then his passer rating would be much lower..

Last edited by MacGruder; 01-30-2012 at 05:12 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #185
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU
 
DBroncos4life's Avatar
 
Bacon bits

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The wrong side of right.
Posts: 28,565

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Wow. If this threads shown anything, it's that you have serious issues follow the flow of a conversation. I think it was clear that I was saying he's peaked and just had the best year he's ever going to have in the NFL.
He's peaked that's rich.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #186
BroncoBeavis
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
Well, in 97 4 starters completed 60% and one was on the worst team in the league.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...97/passing.htm

But in 2011, all playoff starters completed over 60% but for Flacco, Dalton and Tebow, and alex smith who competed 56%. If a'R qb can't complete 60% in today's NFL he's a liability
See, you're following the 'Favre is better than Elway' argument I had pretty much verbatim. Look at that page you posted and compare Favre to Elway. I said looking at completion percentage and not Y/A is bull****. Completion percentage is worthless if you're comparing QB's in fundamentally different systems. Traditional West Coast offenses will yield high completion percentages.


Run first then heave when you get desperate will give you low completion percentages. There's a reason that when Tim breaks 300 yards, he's setting yards per completion records. He's routinely throwing much deeper than most QB's

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 01-30-2012 at 05:11 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #187
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer
 
Boltjolt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
Tebow beat Phillys in your house, and Rivers has a far better supporting cast.

Our defense was handicapped by Orton's 9 TOs in 4.5 games. Not that difficult to figure out genius.
He does when half the OL isnt all on IR. I keep seeing here how your OL isnt very good according to many posters in here yet you led the league in rushing and it is certainly better than ours. Our defense had a QB who threw INT's and fumbled too and fumbled a snap to loose a game for us. We still went 8-8 and only Marion Barber not going out of bounds kept us out of the playoffs.
The genius is how some of you think Tebow is actually a good QB. Elway just said in an interview that he si bringing in competition for Tebow in TC and he may not even win the job...lol
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #188
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I'm a Florida fan, and there's no question Brantley had moved ahead of Cam Newton on the depth chart. He was not going to get to play.

But I will say this - Cam couldn't hit the ocean from the beach at Florida. Throwing the ball, he looked like a totally different player. It wasn't surprising at all that Brantley was #2.

The real mystery is how Cam got so good in that one year at the junior college (I forget the name, Blumpkin or something).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #189
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer
 
Boltjolt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
You are a complete half wit. I think at least half of the GMs in the league would take Tebow over Newton. How does that not support my argument.

You'll now make a completely subjective statement and hold it as evidence that my opinion doesn't make sense because your completely subjective opinion is different.

That's why your question doesn't deserve answering, because it's a stupid circular argument.





The value is that playoff success is a pretty good measure of progress, and Alex Smith was better on the only day that mattered.
Id bet NONE would...including your own. Only a Bronco fan would say something like this. Why on earth would any GM take Tebow of Newton who is a good runner himself, can throw the ball 10 times better, ha a better arm and is bigger and faster?

Why? Please explain. Im guessing all you got is "he has a winning record" while Newtons defense was 28th in the league.
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #190
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Now Tebow on the other hand hasnt had good passing stats in but one game.
I don't get that -- he had over a 100 passer rating four times this season ( out of 12 games). Over passer rating of 90 7 times (out of 12 games).

I thought the Minnesota game really stood out as one where he put it all together, and presumably Pittsburgh was the "one" you had in mind.

I mean, really -- I've been watching NFL for 30+ years, and I've never seen a guy come out of the gate without looking bad in a lot of games at first. I was following Matt Stafford his first year starting, and he hit a passer rating of 100 only once. Completed 53.3% of his passes, which is higher than Tebow's, but that offense generated more easy completions.

Tebow's completion percentage is a little bit deceptively low because this offense generates very few "cheapies" and he had an above average number of drops. I think it was more like a 52% type of season, which is not all that bad considering.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #191
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I'm a Florida fan, and there's no question Brantley had moved ahead of Cam Newton on the depth chart. He was not going to get to play.

But I will say this - Cam couldn't hit the ocean from the beach at Florida. Throwing the ball, he looked like a totally different player. It wasn't surprising at all that Brantley was #2.

The real mystery is how Cam got so good in that one year at the junior college (I forget the name, Blumpkin or something).
No mystery Jay.. he wasn't that good at Auburn.. their run game opened everything...

And this year he had all the pieces to make him look good. His mechanics improved at JC though.. but that may have hurt him as a passer like Tebow..
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #192
StugotsIII
O-H
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,535

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Your Mom
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
From the horse faces own mouth.. bwahahahhaha

I am sure you will keep deluding yourself though...
He must be telling the truth...
StugotsIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #193
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
No mystery Jay.. he wasn't that good at Auburn.. their run game opened everything...

And this year he had all the pieces to make him look good. His mechanics improved at JC though.. but that may have hurt him as a passer like Tebow..
I disagree. I think he's an incredible player.

He may turned out to be damage goods upstairs, but he's as God-gifted as they come at playing quarterback.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #194
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer
 
Boltjolt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
You are only looking at one stat.. completion percentage.. and ignoring yard per attempt and turnovers...

As well as talent on the offenses...

Not to mention that Fox is trying to play a complementary style that focus es on the run game.. complete opposite of what the Panthers were doing.

Why is it so hard for people to understand completion percentage is only one small part of stats?

If Tebow was as bad as his completion percentage appears then his passer rating would be much lower..
Fox threw plenty with Orton...because he could. You led the league in rushing.....stop saying your offense isnt any good and if it isnt, it is because of the QB!!!!
Orton had 9 turnovers with you and Tebow had 12. Tebow fumbled 13 times total (6 lost) with his 6 INT's. Orton threw 155 times in his 4 games...Tebow only threw 271 in 11 games.

As for his paser rating...part of it only being only 72 is because of his completion%
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #195
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer
 
Boltjolt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,034
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I don't get that -- he had over a 100 passer rating four times this season ( out of 12 games). Over passer rating of 90 7 times (out of 12 games).

I thought the Minnesota game really stood out as one where he put it all together, and presumably Pittsburgh was the "one" you had in mind.

I mean, really -- I've been watching NFL for 30+ years, and I've never seen a guy come out of the gate without looking bad in a lot of games at first. I was following Matt Stafford his first year starting, and he hit a passer rating of 100 only once. Completed 53.3% of his passes, which is higher than Tebow's, but that offense generated more easy completions.

Tebow's completion percentage is a little bit deceptively low because this offense generates very few "cheapies" and he had an above average number of drops. I think it was more like a 52% type of season, which is not all that bad considering.


Im talking this year. He had over 100 three times and one of them he was 2-8 with a TD pass for a 102 rating.
His last two games he had a 37 and a 20 rating.
Tebow would hit those cheapies if he wouldnt under throw an easy swing pass and he throws behind his recievers often. Its his own fault, he isnt very accurate isd all. Every QB has those cheapie completions, he just is missing them.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-30-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #196
Jay3
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Fox threw plenty with Orton...because he could.
Was this before or after he benched him?

Wait, it would have to be before. My bad.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #197
MacGruder
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Fox threw plenty with Orton...because he could.
Then why did Fox switch Qbs and won far more withy Tebow"

It's because when Orton was QB the run game was terrible.. Orton is a dink and dunk passer.. that kills the run game. Tebow made the run game great which opened the deep passing game. Hence the low completion percentage with better results.

Tebow's deep passing ability opened the riun game more than Orton.. just the THREAT of Tebow's superior deep passing is more valuable than completion percentage.

Quote:
You led the league in rushing.....stop saying your offense isnt any good and if it isnt, it is because of the QB!!!!
You are looking just at surface numbers... you don't understand football. Tebow made the riun game so good.. running is what wins football games..


Quote:
Orton had 9 turnovers with you and Tebow had 12.
WTF? Tebow played far more games..

Quote:
Tebow fumbled 13 times total (6 lost) with his 6 INT's. Orton threw 155 times in his 4 games...Tebow only threw 271 in 11 games.
Tebow made the Broncos the best running team in the NFL overnight.. not just because of his running ability but because of his deep passing ability as well. The simplistic offesne the Broncos ran caused him those turnovers later.. and the fact he had to carry the offense so much. This offense was designed to complement the D too.. Orton's was not.. Orton would have been killed playing the way Tebow did..

Quote:
As for his paser rating...part of it only being only 72 is because of his completion%
Tebow's passer rating was better than Sam Bradford's.. also doesn't factor in style of play or Tebow's dominant running.. and impact on run game and D...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #198
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I think at least half of the GMs in the league would take Tebow over Newton.
Laughably stupid. Again, I can't prove it but you just need to apply a little bit of common sense. Cam Newton was the first pick of the draft and he easily exceeded expectations this season. There might be a few GM's who would favor Tebow because of his intangibles, and perhaps his character superiority compared to Newton, but even that's questionable. This is a passing league and Newton proved he can sling it. Tebow hasn't remotely proven that. The fact that you're having this argument with me, and that you're actually serious, cements the fact that you should recuse yourself from Tebow discussions because you're far too biased to be rational. Ridiculous.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #199
crazyhorse
All Motor!!
 
crazyhorse's Avatar
 
You can only hope to contain me

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 7,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruder View Post
Then why did Fox switch Qbs and won far more withy Tebow"

It's because when Orton was QB the run game was terrible.. Orton is a dink and dunk passer.. that kills the run game. Tebow made the run game great which opened the deep passing game. Hence the low completion percentage with better results.

Tebow's deep passing ability opened the riun game more than Orton.. just the THREAT of Tebow's superior deep passing is more valuable than completion percentage.



You are looking just at surface numbers... you don't understand football. Tebow made the riun game so good.. running is what wins football games..




WTF? Tebow played far more games..



Tebow made the Broncos the best running team in the NFL overnight.. not just because of his running ability but because of his deep passing ability as well. The simplistic offesne the Broncos ran caused him those turnovers later.. and the fact he had to carry the offense so much. This offense was designed to complement the D too.. Orton's was not.. Orton would have been killed playing the way Tebow did..



Tebow's passer rating was better than Sam Bradford's.. also doesn't factor in style of play or Tebow's dominant running.. and impact on run game and D...
Damn son. When Tebow flunks out of the NFL, the impact is gonna kill you, aint it?

Wow. Its gonna be brutal.
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #200
oubronco
John Foneco !!
 
oubronco's Avatar
 
Mile High Magic

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sooner Country
Posts: 19,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Damn son. When Tebow flunks out of the NFL, the impact is gonna kill you, aint it?

Wow. Its gonna be brutal.
It's gonna be brutal for alot of them

How you been haven't seen you around lately
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.


Denver Broncos