The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you be upset if the Broncos were INTERSTED in signing Peyton Manning?
Yes – Simply being interested would create a circus, this is Tebow’s job 9 6.00%
Yes - He’ll be expensive and his health is a major question mark 22 14.67%
Yes – This team has so many higher priorities, it’s a waste of time 15 10.00%
No – He’s a future Hall of Famer and there’s no harm in having interest, that’s just due diligence 44 29.33%
No – Tebow is still young and hasn’t solidified he deserves to be the unquestioned man yet 6 4.00%
No – He could upgrade the position immediately and allow Tebow to sit and learn 54 36.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #201
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
BDawk is already on the team and still has 2 years left on his contract. Slight difference.
Never mind, I see Brian restructured before the season started to take a pay cut and the last two years of his old deal were cancelled.

Apparently the Broncos decided $6mil was too much to risk though, so BDawk accepted $2m. That doesn't bode well for bringing in Manning.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #202
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
BDawk is already on the team and still has 2 years left on his contract. Slight difference.
True facts.

However, I have a feeling Dawkins has played his last down, unfortunately.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #203
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
put the 2010 version of Manning behind the 2011 Broncos OL and throwing to the 2011 Broncos WRs (minus Lloyd) and there is NO WAY he only gets sacked 16 times.

That's impossible to do...but we could possbly put the 2012 Manning behind the 2012 Broncos OL...which for all anyone knows might be better than before right?

our OL is ****ty at pass blocking. our current WRs can't get any separation and drop lots of balls.

Pass blocking for a young guy who can't see what the D is doing or open guys waving their hands vs. pass blocking for a HoF QB that can diagnose the D as he's coming to line from huddle and audibles with almost uncanny ability to the right guy 90% of the time...and our WR's don't need as much separation for Manning as they do for Tebow to be open.

we are not "merely" missing a pro-style QB on this offense.

No, we're greatly missing a pro-style QB

Manning brings nothing of real value to the table for the Broncos and we wouldn't be too much improved having him behind center instead of Tebow.

I'm not saying you're stupid, but wouldn't you have to be to think Manning doesn't bring any value to the team? And if not for thinking that idiotic thought, then surely for saying he wouldn't improve the team more than having Tebow under center would.

not saying that Manning isn't much better at QB than Tebow, just that it takes 11 guys on the field to execute an offensive gameplan and we are lacking just as much with the other 10 guys as we are at the QB position.

I agree we have more than one or two holes...but the most important position on ANY NFL team is the one that Manning plays at an elite Hall of Fame level

i think Tebow will get better. i think our WRs will get better. i do not know if our OL will ever be any good at pass blocking. we are not close to a serious superbowl run, with or without an elite QB.

Hopefully they will improve...thomas seems to have come out and was one of the NFL's best WR's the last several weeks of season (only Megatron outperformed him if i recall correctly) But again, you upgrade any position you can...and QB's a more important position than say RG is as far as how fast you contend for title....and sure it's possible to win it all without an elite QB, but it's a hell of alot easier with one.

in bold

in bold
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #204
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
True facts.

However, I have a feeling Dawkins has played his last down, unfortunately.
Sorry, I misled on it like I said. The guy took a 60% pay cut to stay with the Denver Broncos. Say what you want. I hope he can come back for one more.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #205
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Never mind, I see Brian restructured before the season started to take a pay cut and the last two years of his old deal were cancelled.

Apparently the Broncos decided $6mil was too much to risk though, so BDawk accepted $2m. That doesn't bode well for bringing in Manning.
Regardless of the money, Manning is past the point of helping the Broncos. His neck alone should be enough to scare most teams off. Hopefully the FO isn't dumb enough to believe Manning is a good pick up.
Mile High Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #206
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
NFL players are never 100%.
OMG!!! How many of them have neck problems and 2 neck surgeries?

Not worth debating anymore. You have no idea about the seriousness of neck injuries.
Heyneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #207
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
I agree we have more than one or two holes...but the most important position on ANY NFL team is the one that Manning plays played at an elite Hall of Fame level
fify
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #208
Gort
Ring of Famer

Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
The SAME Colt line allowed almost 3 times as much sacks per pass attempt without Manning. Like I said before this just points out that you guys think no QB besides Tebow improves this team.
the real world is not fantasy football and its not Madden. stop trying to equate the situation in Indy with the one here. you can't just pick up Manning and drop him into the Broncos and expect the Broncos to be the same as the Manning-led playoff teams from Indy.

let's say you are right and Manning is able to release the ball so quickly that he NEVER gets sacked here. how do you solve the problem of our receivers NOT getting open. Orton could release the ball quickly too. last year, he had 1 receiver that actually seemed to get open to catch his passes and that guy now plays in STL. of course, alot of Lloyd's catches were due to his athletic ability. maybe DT will be an elite receiver one day. maybe Decker will remember how to catch again. maybe Royal will grow 4"-5" and stop disappearing from the gameplan for weeks at a time. i'm sure some of the problems with the passing offense are due to Tebow, but it's not all him. Manning would be throwing the ball out of bounds alot here to avoid taking a sack. if you think that's a moral victory of some sort because his sack totals would be low, then more power to you. but i don't think Manning would make a huge difference here. we have too many holes. and he doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team, nor does he want to mentor any young QBs. if he did, he wouldn't be forcing the issue in Indy. he knows they are gonna draft Luck and he wants nothing to do with that.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #209
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
OMG!!! How many of them have neck problems and 2 neck surgeries?

Not worth debating anymore. You have no idea about the seriousness of neck injuries.
Manning knows the risk more then you or I. If he is CLEARED to play then he will, if not then he will retire. Same goes for Dawkins.

You are the one suggesting that after the two surgeries that Manning will be or ever could be 100% that to me means you are off on the seriousness of his neck injury.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #210
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyneck View Post
Are you serious Errand

Thats a 20 plus million salary vs a 1.5-2 million salary. It would be worth the risk paying Dawks no doubt!!! Heart an soul of this team!!!
Are you serious?

$20 mil for a QB of Manning's ability if healthy is peanuts for a potential Lombardi. the Colt's paid him that much and he didn't play a down at all...and everyone saw how much he means to the success of the Colt's by garnering MVP support despite missing the entire year

We got to AFC divisional round with a QB that throws a football worse than my daughter can....how far do you think we'd have gone had we a franchise type of QB like Manning?

Face it...you're not keen to signing Manning not because it's costly...but cuz it'd mean your hero wouldn't be starting.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #211
Gort
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
in bold

in bold
Manning can't perform miracles. why do you think that an NFL team need only have an elite QB to be an elite team? we had the sort of QBs you like when we had Cutler and Orton. guess what? neither of them did **** here. and they had more weapons at their disposal. our problems are not going to be solved with 1 player. this isn't Madden. get real. Tebow might not even be the QBOTF. all i know about him is that he deserves a shot in 2012. that's it. he's got to show improvement on the field for anything more than that. but Manning is not the answer here. neither is Brees. or Rodgers. at least not until we had more pieces in place. go look at the playoff game against NE. the NE D was in the backfield in milliseconds. our OL couldn't stop any of them. the only time our OL looked good this year was when we ran the ball on almost every down. Manning wouldn't cause a huge improvement, even if he is a much more polished and accomplished QB than Tebow. we have too many holes and too much inexperience.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #212
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
the real world is not fantasy football and its not Madden. stop trying to equate the situation in Indy with the one here. you can't just pick up Manning and drop him into the Broncos and expect the Broncos to be the same as the Manning-led playoff teams from Indy.

let's say you are right and Manning is able to release the ball so quickly that he NEVER gets sacked here. how do you solve the problem of our receivers NOT getting open. Orton could release the ball quickly too. last year, he had 1 receiver that actually seemed to get open to catch his passes and that guy now plays in STL. of course, alot of Lloyd's catches were due to his athletic ability. maybe DT will be an elite receiver one day. maybe Decker will remember how to catch again. maybe Royal will grow 4"-5" and stop disappearing from the gameplan for weeks at a time. i'm sure some of the problems with the passing offense are due to Tebow, but it's not all him. Manning would be throwing the ball out of bounds alot here to avoid taking a sack. if you think that's a moral victory of some sort because his sack totals would be low, then more power to you. but i don't think Manning would make a huge difference here. we have too many holes. and he doesn't want to be on a rebuilding team, nor does he want to mentor any young QBs. if he did, he wouldn't be forcing the issue in Indy. he knows they are gonna draft Luck and he wants nothing to do with that.
I'd be willing to guarantee, that if Peyton is healthy, he'll have success wherever he goes. And he'd have success here too.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #213
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Amen -

I remembered this post I made over 2 years ago about why we never throw downfield:

Quote:
I wonder if us not going with longer routes has anything to do with Orton having about 1.5 seconds to throw.

Probably not.
Our line has been a liability in pass blocking for awhile now. Having Manning behind center would not change that.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #214
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Are you serious?

$20 mil for a QB of Manning's ability if healthy is peanuts for a potential Lombardi. the Colt's paid him that much and he didn't play a down at all...and everyone saw how much he means to the success of the Colt's by garnering MVP support despite missing the entire year

We got to AFC divisional round with a QB that throws a football worse than my daughter can....how far do you think we'd have gone had we a franchise type of QB like Manning?

Face it...you're not keen to signing Manning not because it's costly...but cuz it'd mean your hero wouldn't be starting.
Signing Manning would be costly and his neck injury is a major problem, period. The Colts know this and this is why they are willing to cut Manning and rebuild with Luck which is way more of a gamble than Keeping Manning, trading the #1 pick for a boat load of picks and making one more run with Manning.

Think about it for a second.

The Colts will cut Manning and start over with Luck, rather than keeping a HOF QB who has a few good years left in him and making one more push for a Lombardi.

That tells me all I need to know about Manning's health.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #215
houghtam
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
Signing Manning would be costly and his neck injury is a major problem, period. The Colts know this and this is why they are willing to cut Manning and rebuild with Luck which is way more of a gamble than Keeping Manning, trading the #1 pick for a boat load of picks and making one more run with Manning.

The Colts will cut Manning and start over with Luck, rather than keeping a HOF QB who has a few good years left in him and making one more push for a Lombardi.

Shhhh, that's the elephant in the room. No one is supposed to talk about him.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #216
Agamemnon

Quote:
$20 mil for a QB of Manning's ability if healthy is peanuts for a potential Lombardi.
You are so delusional...
Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #217
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:

I'm thinking the Broncos would want Dawkins back there because he's better than the current crop of safeties we have, correct?

Same thing with Manning...he instantly upgrades the offense alot...his elite level of play warrants him making more (it's the market)...we can find another safety that can play as well as Dawkins alot easier than we could find a QB that could play as well or better than Manning...wouldn't you agree?
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #218
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'm thinking the Broncos would want Dawkins back there because he's better than the current crop of safeties we have, correct?

Same thing with Manning...he instantly upgrades the offense alot...his elite level of play warrants him making more (it's the market)...we can find another safety that can play as well as Dawkins alot easier than we could find a QB that could play as well or better than Manning...wouldn't you agree?
Dear ****-For-Brains,

If Manning can pass a physical and is ready to play, he'll either be a Colt, a Jet or a Redskin.

Sincerely,
Reality
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #219
bendog
Marginally Continent

David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens

Quote:

No, I think EFX is looking for stability. Manning on the Jets ... possible superbowl. Den just isn't that good. They ran the gimmick offense and got 8 wins to back into the playoffs after defenses started whacking the crap out of Tebow, and Pitt for some reason played cover 0 possibly because they didn't watch Tebow at Fla throwing deep where he put touch on 40 yard bombs, and got embarrased by NE. Manning doesn't solve the DT, Mike, corner, running back and possibly WR holes.

If tebow learns to pass, everyone's happy campers. If not, the tebowites finally GTFO and they bring in a qb.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #220
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Are you serious?

Colts had 13 years of Manning. Mostly in peak condition. 1 Lombardi.

Throwing to two possible HOF WR's (one being a lock) A pass catching monster TE. 1 Super Bowl.

Quote:
We got to AFC divisional round with a QB that throws a football worse than my daughter can..
I s'pose this is where we're supposed to think your critiques are rational. We won because Tebow helped the run game get established. We lack the depth at WR to play a Manning offense. We had to field a QB at WR at one point this year. That was with Brandon Lloyd still on the team.

Quote:
Rational people look at a rebuilding period and like to see how a young kid can grow in the NFL. Others are always looking for a quick n' easy shortcut to greatness.

Why not beg Favre to come in? Sure he's old, but his health at this point is probably less questionable than Manning's.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #221
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post

You're probably right...

However the debate is if he's healthy and given clearance to play should we pursue him? It's laughable that the only ones thinking he wouldn't help this team out is the usual suspects who think we're set at QB for the next decade and a half.

As for drafting Luck...the amount of money the Colts would have tied up in Luck and Manning would mean somethings gotta give...you wouldn't draft Luck if you had no intention of playing him by 2013 right?

Well, the colt's new powers that be probably figure that they'll draft the kid....and get rid of Manning regardless of his health.....because they too don't want a QB controversy. The difference is Luck can throw the ball as well as Manning can.....our QB can't.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #222
BroncoBeavis

Quote:

Dawkins wants to be here and actually restructured his contract to take a cut and stick around and work with our young safeties.

Manning has already resisted restructuring his huge deal to help make room for Luck and has sent signals that he's not looking to mentor anyone.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #223
Gort
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I'd be willing to guarantee, that if Peyton is healthy, he'll have success wherever he goes. And he'd have success here too.
not against good teams. we are not yet ready to consistently beat good teams.

one other thing every is overlooking. Manning would have no chemistry with our receivers. whatever he accomplished in Indy was done with a veteran receiving core who worked out with Manning constantly so everyone was on the same page.

it's wishful thinking to think that all we need is Manning behind center and all of the sudden we'd be a 11 or 12 win team. we got really lucky in 2011 and got to a point where we could have won 10 games.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #224
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
You're probably right...

However the debate is if he's healthy and given clearance to play should we pursue him? It's laughable that the only ones thinking he wouldn't help this team out is the usual suspects who think we're set at QB for the next decade and a half.

As for drafting Luck...the amount of money the Colts would have tied up in Luck and Manning would mean somethings gotta give...you wouldn't draft Luck if you had no intention of playing him by 2013 right?

Well, the colt's new powers that be probably figure that they'll draft the kid....and get rid of Manning regardless of his health.....because they too don't want a QB controversy. The difference is Luck can throw the ball as well as Manning can.....our QB can't.
The Colts absolutely Lucked out, pun very much intended. I think they are scared about Manning's neck and rightly so. Who want's to see Manning drop back, get sacked and then never walk again?

They'd rather get the next top QB prospect and start over. Yes, it's Luck, yes he looks to be the real deal, but the fact is no one knows for sure if a drafted QB will work out or not because there are so many factors that go into a successful NFL QB.

The Colts could cut Manning, draft Luck and then find out that Luck is one of those QBs who just can't stay healthy and he's always injured. Past injury experience in college is no indication of the ability of an NFL player to stay healthy. The Colts know this via their experience with Steve Entmen who was a hell of a player but could not stay healthy. It's a gamble to go with Luck, but a gamble they appear to be willing to take as opposed to continuing with a HOF QB in Manning.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #225
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
not against good teams. we are not yet ready to consistently beat good teams.

one other thing every is overlooking. Manning would have no chemistry with our receivers. whatever he accomplished in Indy was done with a veteran receiving core who worked out with Manning constantly so everyone was on the same page.

it's wishful thinking to think that all we need is Manning behind center and all of the sudden we'd be a 11 or 12 win team. we got really lucky in 2011 and got to a point where we could have won 10 games.
I sincerely disagree and i think you're forgetting how good Peyton Manning is. Have we forgotten what the 2011 Indy colts wound up being? Were they this dog**** in 2010? No...whats the major difference? Peyton Manning. Some guys are just superior football players and would fit in anywhere. He's elite, he's arguably the best ever. He'll be fine wherever he goes.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote