The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #26
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Man up grow a pair and buy a used Prius!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #27
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Have a 2000 Ford Mustang and she's just about had it. Loved the car, and never had a problem, but don't want another mustang.

Looking for something 4 door but still sporty, manual, that sticks to the road and has instant acceleration.

Test drove a 2008 Audi A4 today and it was nice. 23.5K. Seemed like there was a delay between when I tried to speed up and when it actually kicked in, and I didn't like that. Other that that, I would be happy with it.

Going to drive some BMW 3's this week, and then try and decide. I'd like to stay under 40K, so that puts the A5's out of my reach unless I can find a steal. Don't want a convertible or a 2 door.

My friend has a Mazda Speed 3 hatchback that he really likes. I've ridden in it a bunch, but don't think a hatchback it my style.

Any suggestions?
I have close to 110k on my 2002 3 series BMW, I love the car and I am hoping to get 250k and another 12 years out of it. I don't need all those in dash GPS and DVD players I get enough enjoyment out of driving the car.

I did recently have to do some suspension maint on it as the bushings were worn in the front and the rear springs were cracked, the year before I put new Bilstein (sp?) shocks all the way around. My friend turned me on to his mechanic who is keeping his (my Friends) A4 running. The A4 has over 150k miles on it, he may be closer to 170k I can't remember.

I like the no maint (other than tires and gas) you get from the BMW dealer, I think VW's are the same. Plus I got a 15% savings card in the mail from the dealer which I used on some of the suspension fixes. I never expected to get a discount card on service for a BMW dealer esp on a car that is 9 years old. I hope it is still valid when the 120k service comes around, some things I have the independent guy do but there are things I feel better about the dealer doing and it would be nice to save a couple bucks when that service rolls around.

I did get to drive a new 325CXI(?) as a loner and I prefer my car, the interior is lame and looks cheaper than mine and I prefer the way mine handled. Plus the throttle response was way different than mine, it seemed to lag just like you said about the A4. Plus everything seemed so dependent on the electrical system and computer, to start the car you had to insert the fob, press the break then hit the start button. I wasn't impressed, maybe it is more difficult to hot wire that way? dunno. Over all I would look at the 2012 3 series options and pull the trigger again in a heartbeat.

I did put ceramic aftermarket breaks on it because the break dust on the front wheels was a pain to clean. You don't get the bite of the OEM pads but you don't get the dust and the pads and the rotors were way cheaper. I joined a good BMW forum and get part deals through them which I take to my indepent mech to install. I do my own tuneups via a Chilton book I get from the library when I need it and I have done other small fixes, plus with joining a BMW forum you get an idea of the small issues that do pop up for example my year model had an issue with the back tail light assembly but I found a fix to wire a ground and sourced the parts and did it all my self for around $20 plus 30 minutes of my time.

People that say owning a German luxury car is too expensive to maintain either haven't shopped around for tips/a good certified BMW independent mech/parts. Sure they get expensive once the warranty wears out and you rely on the dealer to fix everything but that is the same with any car that you take to a dealer. If you research the car, and see what other people encounter they last much longer. Mine still feels like it did the day I pulled it off the lot and I have no regret nor do I lust after the new models I am content to drive this baby another 8 years until my daughter needs a car and then I might get an 80's 7 series for myself.

Good luck!
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys!

Looked into the Infinity G7. Nice looking car, but it doesn't look like they make a manual sedan, and I couldn't stand to drive an automatic.

After thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure I want 6 cylinders, instead of a turbo charged 4. The one thing that I've love about my mustang over the years is that I've felt I've always been able to accelerate when I've wanted to, so that's just how I drive.

Pretty sure the other thing I'll have to have is AWD. The worst thing about my car has been a rear-wheel car with little weight is terrible for things like rain, ice, or turning.

Going to check out the BMW 328 and 335 stuff this week. The WRX sounds nice if I can get a spoiler free version =P
Can't beat the realiabilty of a BMW inline 6, they have that engine down.

After watching Top Gear for a few years I might test drive an Evo if I were in the market for a car, they always seem to like them but they look more like a car for a single guy, not a guy with a growing family.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #29
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Yes. Buy a car that's 25k-35k and the moment you take it off the lot -- bam. You just got ****ed in the ass.

Do some major damage with that money in another fashion.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #30
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Yes. Buy a car that's 25k-35k and the moment you take it off the lot -- bam. You just got ****ed in the ass.

Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't mention, I'm only looking at used cars. I'd never buy a new one unless I no longer cared about money.

Finding a used stick shift is a pain in the ass though. How can soooo many people buy these nice cars and get automatics? I've lived in LA, San Fran, Austin and Dallas, so I've seen all kinds of traffic. Nothing beats the connection you have to your car with a manual.

I just don't see how people can push their accelerators and just pray the car does something.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #31
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Used is the way to go.

Good luck on your search.

I was looking at some older BMW 5 and 3 series, but decided to get up and move this next month than purchase a vehicle.

Everything will work out.

I'm a partial Beamer guy. Everyone I know who has ever had one, rode them to death and loved them. Well, they didn't even die -- they just got new ones.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 AM   #32
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

This thread just makes me excited to go back home and drive the Vette. VroooooooM.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #33
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Audi's are nice until they hit about 100K miles then they start falling apart.....
BMW's, unless you do the general maintenance yourself (oil changes, etc) you're going to get raped on the charges....

We had Mercedes and Audi's and traded them in for a Highlander and Prius....less hassle and good cars.

Well except the Prius, I hate that piece of crap.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:48 AM   #34
Vladimir
#1 Oregon Broncos fan

Go Ducks!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Dawkins!!

I own a 07 bmw 335i.. Inline 6 twin turbo motor with 300hp. Very, very fun car.

Below picture is not my car but a nice example of a 335i sedan. Can also be had as an 335XI which is all wheel drive. They are either auto or manual. Def at least worth a test drive IMO

Last edited by Vladimir; 07-10-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Vladimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #35
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't mention, I'm only looking at used cars. I'd never buy a new one unless I no longer cared about money.

One thing to keep in mind is the interest rates if you are going to finance the car. New cars always get better rates then used sometime 0%. Not saying it is the better way to go but it is worth the math exercise if you are spending that kind of money.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #36
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:

Finding a used stick shift is a pain in the ass though. How can soooo many people buy these nice cars and get automatics? I've lived in LA, San Fran, Austin and Dallas, so I've seen all kinds of traffic. Nothing beats the connection you have to your car with a manual.

I just don't see how people can push their accelerators and just pray the car does something.
I used to LOOOOOOOOVE manuals. Love them. Grew up learning on one, 4 of the six cars I've owned have been manual. My last car was a manual, and when I was looking around for my subie, I was looking manual. THEN, I test drove an automatic. Actually, I got to take the car for a weekend (my auto broker is extremely cool, and let me take a few cars for extended periods of time) to see how I liked it...and I realized that I really didn't miss the manual shifting all that much. Thanks to paddle shifters, and a sport shift mode on the shifter, I can still get some kind of resemblance...obviously it isn't the same but it gives me the ability to downshift easily in slow hilly traffic, drop the hammer when I want to pass, etc. It's weird, because that was one of two MAJOR requirements for me going into my purchase, and now I couldn't be happier not shifting.

When shopping used, remember: manuals can really limit your selection. Fewer and fewer are being made throughout the auto industry, and they're becoming a more expensive option. I'm not saying DON'T get one, just keep an open mind and make sure you test drive a whole bunch of both types before purchasing. You'd be surprised how trivial that option can become.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #37
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
When shopping used, remember: manuals can really limit your selection. Fewer and fewer are being made throughout the auto industry, and they're becoming a more expensive option. I'm not saying DON'T get one, just keep an open mind and make sure you test drive a whole bunch of both types before purchasing. You'd be surprised how trivial that option can become.
I agree -- my Buick Grand National (daily driver for 10 years) cured me of the manual-only bug. Today's cars have so much computer-logic involved in the operation of the engine, that an automatic in today's world can be a very rewarding and high performance thing. The main computer is able to really deliver performance when that variable is somewhat under its control.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #38
jutang
Pro Bowler

Once you pick the car, check out truecar.com for price comparison. Amex and Costco auto programs also giver you a gauge on the market.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

We bought ours new because we expected to get 10+ years out of it, if you plan on buying a car every 5 years or get bored with a car fast then your right, go used.

If you go used I would jump up a series, trick is finding a car only a few years old that was maintained properly.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #40
LRtagger
Ring of Famer

You know noothin

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

The reason the Audi felt like it did is because they (along with most newer cars) do not have a throttle cable. The throttle is electronically controlled and for some reason on Audi's and VWs, they lag quite a bit...plus add in it's a 4cyl turbo (more lag) and you get a car that's a manual but responds like an automatic.

If you like the speed3, but not the fact that it's a hatch, check out the speed6. I used to own one. Threw some wheels on it and it was a pretty slick little car. 6-speed, 250ish HP, got 30mpg highway. But if you are considering a BMW, it's probably going to be a nicer car.

LRtagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #41
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

Name:  2011-Volkswagen-CC-R-Line-1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  115.2 KB

best car I've ever owned... its a 50 thousand dollar car with a 30 thousand dollar price tag.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:18 PM   #42
Vegas_Bronco
Ring of Famer

Fear is a lack of preparation.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
1 Elam 1

Go with bmw...while infiniti is worried about cup holders, those germans have rear wheel slip differential down.
Vegas_Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #43
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

She is faster than you! 8.39 @ 156

Buy American.....the Job you save may be your own or someone close to you-
besides, they aint' got nothin' on the USA-
Attached Images

bronclvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #44
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronclvr View Post
Buy American.....the Job you save may be your own or someone close to you-
besides, they aint' got nothin' on the USA-
I'm confused. You say "buy American" and then your first pic is of a Mustang? It may be assembled in America, but the engine and about 65% of the "content" is from some combo of Mexico, Germany and/or France. Buying a freaking Camry is more "American" than buying a Mustang nowadays.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #45
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

The Wagon Queen Family Trucksters are sweet rides.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #46
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I'm confused. You say "buy American" and then your first pic is of a Mustang? It may be assembled in America, but the engine and about 65% of the "content" is from some combo of Mexico, Germany and/or France. Buying a freaking Camry is more "American" than buying a Mustang nowadays.

I disagree-just because it's assembled here doesn't mean it's "American"-

Is Toyota an American Company?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #47
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
You sure about the engine? I remember reading somewhere that for a car to be considered made in America the engine accounted for 51% of the validity of that claim. Having said that Mustangs are crap cars but I think Ford is doing more right then they used to.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #48
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I disagree-just because it's assembled here doesn't mean it's "American"-

Is Toyota an American Company?
Ummmm, to make this list, your content needs to include at least 75% American parts.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0710
Old 07-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #49
bronclvr
Ring of Famer

I'm not talking about "assembled" in America, I'm talking about made by an American Company-
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #50
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
I'm not talking about "assembled" in America, I'm talking about made by an American Company-
Read the link. So am I.