The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Default Buying a new car. Looking for advice.

Have a 2000 Ford Mustang and she's just about had it. Loved the car, and never had a problem, but don't want another mustang.

Looking for something 4 door but still sporty, manual, that sticks to the road and has instant acceleration.

Test drove a 2008 Audi A4 today and it was nice. 23.5K. Seemed like there was a delay between when I tried to speed up and when it actually kicked in, and I didn't like that. Other that that, I would be happy with it.

Going to drive some BMW 3's this week, and then try and decide. I'd like to stay under 40K, so that puts the A5's out of my reach unless I can find a steal. Don't want a convertible or a 2 door.

My friend has a Mazda Speed 3 hatchback that he really likes. I've ridden in it a bunch, but don't think a hatchback it my style.

Any suggestions?
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Jay3

I love the Subaru WRX. Turbocharged, and the STI model is over 300 hp. That boxer engine and AWD drive absolutely sticks to the road.

Pretty good bang for your buck. The car's got everything but large size.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza-wrx/index.html
Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Jay3

And Vin Diesel says I'm right.

http://youtu.be/YiePdLlDjqs
Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I love the Subaru WRX. Turbocharged, and the STI model is over 300 hp. That boxer engine and AWD drive absolutely sticks to the road.

Pretty good bang for your buck. The car's got everything but large size.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza-wrx/index.html
I love them Suby's too. Going to be the next car I buy.

Sporty, not over the top, priced well for everything you get.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
I love them Suby's too. Going to be the next car I buy.

Sporty, not over the top, priced well for everything you get.
WRX With the chip and a 6 speed, some BFG street racing tires will raise the hair on the back of your neck.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
91BRONCO
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Have a 2000 Ford Mustang and she's just about had it. Loved the car, and never had a problem, but don't want another mustang.

Looking for something 4 door but still sporty, manual, that sticks to the road and has instant acceleration.

Test drove a 2008 Audi A4 today and it was nice. 23.5K. Seemed like there was a delay between when I tried to speed up and when it actually kicked in, and I didn't like that. Other that that, I would be happy with it.

Going to drive some BMW 3's this week, and then try and decide. I'd like to stay under 40K, so that puts the A5's out of my reach unless I can find a steal. Don't want a convertible or a 2 door.

My friend has a Mazda Speed 3 hatchback that he really likes. I've ridden in it a bunch, but don't think a hatchback it my style.

Any suggestions?
I have a great car for you- Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport with 6mt (7 speed auto available as well). Just go drive one. While it may not be the most luxurious it will definitely put a smile on your face without having to pay through your teeth. I might recommend a Lexus IS but they are pretty small and a manual may not be available with the bigger engine that you will surely want.

My 03 G35 6mt sedan is still running strong and fast as hell for a 4 door. Seriously, just go test drive one...

Edit- STI or an EVO are always fun but can be pretty small for 4 doors- the cars you are looking at are bigger so I don't know if either would work for you...

Last edited by 91BRONCO; 07-09-2011 at 03:03 PM..
91BRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Willynowei
Some dude

Football is a wonderful thing.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:

Any suggestions?
You talking about the M3 or the 3 series?

Look, ultimately you're not going to be driving this thing on the track, am I right? An A4 or an M3 are both more than enough for "sticking to the road," a competent driver in those vehicles can beat a super car around the track anyday.

Remember, there's the chick factor. Any girl that knows a little bit about cars will be impressed with an EVO/STI. But even the ones who don't know anything about cars will be impressed with an A4/M3.

Stick with the name brand dude, it might help you get a chick or promotion, that's all I'm saying.
Willynowei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
91BRONCO
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Used CTS-V Big pimpin man- Corvette engine (LS6 or 7?) in a sedan- what's not to like? haha
Old 07-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
I have a great car for you- Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport with 6mt (7 speed auto available as well). Just go drive one. While it may not be the most luxurious it will definitely put a smile on your face without having to pay through your teeth. I might recommend a Lexus IS but they are pretty small and a manual may not be available with the bigger engine that you will surely want.

My 03 G35 6mt sedan is still running strong and fast as hell for a 4 door. Seriously, just go test drive one...

Edit- STI or an EVO are always fun but can be pretty small for 4 doors- the cars you are looking at are bigger so I don't know if either would work for you...
Totally agree, I have an 04 with the sports package. Love it. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
91BRONCO
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Totally agree, I have an 04 with the sports package. Love it. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.
Word up brother! That car took the driving torch away from the 3 series if you ask me. 6mt Sedan as well? That combo sure is hard to find.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #11
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BRONCO View Post
Word up brother! That car took the driving torch away from the 3 series if you ask me. 6mt Sedan as well? That combo sure is hard to find.
Na, auto. Swore off mt after dealing with LA traffic for 5 years. It still has plenty of kick. Great car.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

For the love of god don't get a WRX. Do you really want to be "that guy"...the douche who drives a black, 12" high spoiler, turbocharged WRX?
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #13
Bronco Yoda

Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
For the love of god don't get a WRX. Do you really want to be "that guy"...the douche who drives a black, 12" high spoiler, turbocharged WRX?
Unfortunately, under the rules here, you must now reveal what you drive.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I drink my own urine.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I have a G35 Coupe but test drove the Sedan as well, both have a lot of get up and go. While you won't have the clutch action like you would in a MT, the automatic does give you quite a bit of versatility. I would highly recommend a G35 or 37. You can definitely find one well under your price range too.

Another option is a Nissan Maxima. We had one about 5 years ago, plenty powerful and very smooth handling.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:

Any suggestions?
Hyundai Genesis OOops didnt see the manual tranny, i think its mostly a luxury sedan, prob no stick shift,
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
yep. under bylaw 13.2 section IIa addendum B.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #19
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

G35's are great cars, the VQ engine has been around for a good deal of time and Nissan has used it in everything from sports cars (the Z) to minivans and sports sedans. I'm of course biased to the Evo X (see avatar on left). Easy to mod (if your into that), great drivability, once tuned 27-28 mpg freeway, 4 doors, awd, and cheap and easy maintenance.

Other cars I looked at before I chose the Evo X were e46 M3, 1st gen CTS-V, and C5 Corvette Z06 (400hp, weighs almost nothing, faster than any C6 vette that isn't a Z06 or ZR1)
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Lot of subie misinformation here....

First off, the wrx's and sti's are extremely fast cars, but they have turbo lag. SO, if you want INSTANT low end torque, you're going to have to wait a second or two until the turbo kicks in. Obviously, if you have a manual, you can rev it up a bit before launch to remedy this problem, but that's what happens with a turbo. There are a ton of mods you can do (chipping isn't one of them), and some of them will reduce that lag, but unfortunately, they weren't built with a lot of low end torque. I will say, however, once the turbo spools you'll be flying by the competition.

As far as the wrx goes, that's not the one with the giant spoiler...you're thinking of the sti...so technically, you wouldn't be THAT guy. Even so, the newer models are a little more tasteful.

I just recently purchased a 2006 legacy 2.5 gt limited, and it's a really fun car. Basically the same 250 horse engine as the wrx, but it has a lot more creature comforts..kind of a "grown up" wrx.

Anywho, subaru's are an excellent choice in terms of reliability and resale, but test drive a couple to see if you can deal with the turbo lag. Remember, you'll be buying premium gas and getting >25 mpg if you can deal with that. Super fun cars.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #21
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Oh and if you liked that speed3, they also make a speed6 that's a pretty badass sedan.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #22
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

Test drive the CC. Its a nice car and the incentives, 3 years maintenance and 0% finance, are worth a look

Name:  O1VWGEB1_Large.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  24.2 KB
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #23
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

lincoln mkz hybrid gets 41 city 36 highway. (i don't have backwards)

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2011/03/07/...hybrid-review/

Quote:
We put close to six hundred miles on the odometer of our Ingot Silver Metallic review unit, scoring an average of 37.8 MPG on the Interstate highway and 38.3 MPG combined

Last edited by peacepipe; 07-09-2011 at 06:21 PM..
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #24
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Thanks for the advice guys!

Looked into the Infinity G7. Nice looking car, but it doesn't look like they make a manual sedan, and I couldn't stand to drive an automatic.

After thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure I want 6 cylinders, instead of a turbo charged 4. The one thing that I've love about my mustang over the years is that I've felt I've always been able to accelerate when I've wanted to, so that's just how I drive.

Pretty sure the other thing I'll have to have is AWD. The worst thing about my car has been a rear-wheel car with little weight is terrible for things like rain, ice, or turning.

Going to check out the BMW 328 and 335 stuff this week. The WRX sounds nice if I can get a spoiler free version =P
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #25
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
yep. under bylaw 13.2 section IIa addendum B.
Those goddamn bylaws always catching up with me...

I'm not sure which direction you're hoping I'll go: I have a douchier car than a WRX (SRT-4s maybe ) or something gay like a Prius?

Nothing exciting, a 2007 Carolla. My 2000 Grand Am died this Winter
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote