The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #28
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

I still say the big sticking point is the players will have to concede to a "giveback", and that is very, very, very hard to concede from the player's perspective. So I see the players' position in this. It's that whole giveback thing that sticks in their craw.

The big deal right now is the league-wide "giveback" of apx. $300 million per contract year - from the players to the owners.

But, and it's an important point, that giveback is only apx. $9.375 million per team per contract year.

I look at those $$$$ numbers and it's pretty clear to me the players are shafting everybody in this dispute.

$9.375 million per team per contract year with a 53-man roster is $177k per player per contract year. That's not gonna impact the lower-level guys, there will still be a minimum guaranteed salary for each year of service.

The sole impact on players will be on the higher salary players, and even then it will be a low impact percentage-wise on their overall salary.

The players are being offered a very fair deal, and in the interest of continuity they should take it. The nature of contracts like these is there is always the next contract to try and make up some differences, and it's very important in contract negotiations to consider the continuity aspect.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote