The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2007, 05:37 AM   #176
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I agree..it's quick, nothing to clean up and cuts as close as my M3 Turbo which i like more than the original M3 because it seems like the original created more irritation for me...my electric razor is a Remminton and works great...i used it pretty much for 2 months straight without charging it once..only part that it doesn't shave as close as my M3 turbo is on my neck.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #177
Borks147
the dude abides...

bump.

kaylore are you still using that Merkur Futur? I remembered this thread and I'm in the market for one - still recommend it after 3 years?
Borks147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #178
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aborquez147 View Post
bump.

kaylore are you still using that Merkur Futur? I remembered this thread and I'm in the market for one - still recommend it after 3 years?
Yes! It's excellent. I have had some issues with soap scum build up but it's fairly easy to clean. The thing you can't beat the is the razors give you a closer shave than standard multiple blade razors and they are dirt cheap. You can remove the blades and clean and rotate them as well to get more use out of them which is a boon in these tough times.

I do keep an old mach 3 for under my lip and parts of my chin when I'm in a hurry, but the Merkur is one of the best investments you'll make. It's made of a solid stainless steel and will probably last you the rest of your life.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #179
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I am currently rocking the Billy Mays beard in memorium, but the Merkur intrigues me for when I get sick of it.

Until then, let's give the Epilady some love.

Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #180
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

This is what I uses to shave with. My skin is to sensitive so I can't use razors. This gives me a close shave without messing up my face. It's not as close as a razor, but it's close enough. Also use it on my Gotee and to give myself an edge-up

HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #181
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I've rarely used an electric and I have a sweet one I got a few years ago at Christmas. I just get a nice old school razor and use it till I need another. Smoother shave, closer shave, and it doubles as a suicide device.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #182
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I've rarely used an electric and I have a sweet one I got a few years ago at Christmas. I just get a nice old school razor and use it till I need another. Smoother shave, closer shave, and it doubles as a suicide device.
Always need one of those
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #183
Captain 'Dre
Along For The Ride

For THIS I Went To Grad School?!?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
no mention of which aftershaves to use?
Specifically, which aftershaves don't do a 'napalm' job on your face after you've scraped the **** out of it with that straight razor.
Captain 'Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #184
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Bump, I made the change to an "old school razor" a year ago and still love it. I think I have recouped the larger up front cost by now with the cheaper razors. $1.77 at Wal Mart for a 10 pk. Look into it for a better cheaper shave.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #185
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

http://www.biggreensmile.com/product...uctid=razorpit

That thing will make your gillette blades last between 2 and 4 times longer, the problem with modern blades is they make them such that the crap builds up and the edges chip very easily, so after a few uses they will the **** out of you.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #186
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borks147 View Post
bump.

Is that a type of merkin
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #187
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Right around the time Kahn posted this thread I went out and bought an old fashioned soap brush and starter shaving soap bar and put it in an old Bronco coffee mug I had collecting dust.

I got tired of applying cold foam that took forever to wash off my hands. Plus I wasn't getting very good shaves.

I stayed with the Mach 3 razor but just by lathering up with real hot water I found that I could raise the hairs so that I was getting much closer shaves. With the plus that I don't have to spend forever getting soap or foam off my hands.

I will never go back to cold shaves out of a can again.

Plus I save the small bits of hand soap that we used to throw out and put them in the mug and I have not had to buy any shaving soap/cream since.

Talk about saving the environment!
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #188
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have used a razor to shave like three times in my life. Electric is so much faster and easier.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #189
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

That's good to hear. I am rocking a beard right now, so I mostly just shave my neck, cheeks and corners of my lips. Needless to say I am really stretching my razor usage now as I shave less beard and do so less often. I usually shave the beard in late spring/Summer though. I have tried a few different glycerine soap brands. Currently I am using Col. Conk's and it is pretty nice.

Good to hear that some of you have benefited from this old thread.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #190
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's good to hear. I am rocking a beard right now, so I mostly just shave my neck, cheeks, taint, and corners of my lips. Needless to say I am really stretching my razor usage now as I shave less beard and do so less often. I usually shave the beard in late spring/Summer though. I have tried a few different glycerine soap brands. Currently I am using Col. Conk's and it is pretty nice.

Good to hear that some of you have benefited from this old thread.
Fixed it for you

broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #191
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Here's an off-season mode topic if there ever was one.

After getting tired of dumping $25 into Mach 3 razors over and over I started getting pissed at throwing expensive razors away and suspicious at why something that lasts maybe two weeks costs so much.

I started to develop conspiracy theories about shaving. I noticed that all the multple blades just created little spaces for crap to collect and that the saving cream left a residue that got more and more difficult to remove. I also noticed that when I used shaving cream the razors dulled faster than when I used soap. I then realized that razor companies probably did this intentionally to sell more razors.

Fed up, I decided to look at other options. That's when I found this arcticle on one of the "internets."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

The article explains the history of shaving and why the current trend and technology is designed to use up razors and not necessarily create the best shave. So I used some of my Christmas money to buy the following items.

I started with a real badger haired shaving brush.
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...30/2184118.htm

Then I purchased some glycerine based shaving soap and an old school mug. (I got a blue one since that was the only one offered in Bronco Colors. )
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...960/198657.htm
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...952/203624.htm

The new razor I had pruchased was still on it's way when I got these things so I decided to start using them with my Mach 3 in the mean time. Just using those three items was a different experience entirely. I found that the soap felt great and left nice smell on my skin. The blade would glide easily across my face and didn't leave the residue that the normal shaving foams and gels did. The brush and mug, when used correctly, creates a hot lather that warms and softens the bristles. This makes them easier to cut and allows them a little bit of give. The result is a smoother, closer shave.

Finally my razor arrived. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...941/190429.htm
I immediately liked it. It's made of a high grade German steel that I can tell will last 100 years. It's surprisingly simple. Just a double edged single razor. No pivoting head, no fancy screens, no aloe strip.

Using it was a little weird. You have to use short quick strokes either with the grain or directly against it. Getting around the tough areas (chin, upper lip) can be difficult, but by the second try I had a handle on it. It was actually fun to use, and the shave is much closer than I would have thought. The experience is much better too. The smooth soaps and, the nice smell, and the slick feel of the razor is awesome. I actually enjoy shaving now. The number of in-grown hairs is reduced and my face is much silkier than I ever achieved with a muli-blade razor.

So gentlemen, there are some alternatives out there for you. I thought I would share some of the things I had found recently that make the experience better overall.

Here is a site that offers some things.
http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html

I didn't get everything from this site, though. I had to shop around for some of the things, but they give you a good set of what options are out there. I ended up buy a stand for my brush a little later as well because they are supposed to be stored bristles down if you want 10+ years out of them. I think if anything, you guys trying out the brush and a nice soap will make your overall experience better.
Real men don't whine about expensive shaving equipment.

Real men grow beards.

Just kidding, nice post. I've been using a similar "old school" razor for a long time as quite literally my overly abundant and coarse facial hair (yay!) will destroy a modern razor exactly as you describe in 1-2 uses.

Last edited by Fedaykin; 05-12-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #192
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Fixed it for you

A taint reference! A popular synonym was "chode" when I was in middle school.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #193
Smilin Assassin
Tradition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
I have used a razor to shave like three times in my life. Electric is so much faster and easier.
Puberty is gonna hit you like a brick wall.
Smilin Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #194
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Right around the time Kahn posted this thread I went out and bought an old fashioned soap brush and starter shaving soap bar and put it in an old Bronco coffee mug I had collecting dust.

I got tired of applying cold foam that took forever to wash off my hands. Plus I wasn't getting very good shaves.

I stayed with the Mach 3 razor but just by lathering up with real hot water I found that I could raise the hairs so that I was getting much closer shaves. With the plus that I don't have to spend forever getting soap or foam off my hands.

I will never go back to cold shaves out of a can again.

Plus I save the small bits of hand soap that we used to throw out and put them in the mug and I have not had to buy any shaving soap/cream since.

Talk about saving the environment!
Same with your junk. Always warm it up first...

I always shave in the shower for this reason. I don't use shaving cream and I can usually get away with a month of mach 3, and then a painful month of mach 3.... I'm broke.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #195
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Here's an off-season mode topic if there ever was one.

After getting tired of dumping $25 into Mach 3 razors over and over I started getting pissed at throwing expensive razors away and suspicious at why something that lasts maybe two weeks costs so much.

I started to develop conspiracy theories about shaving. I noticed that all the multple blades just created little spaces for crap to collect and that the saving cream left a residue that got more and more difficult to remove. I also noticed that when I used shaving cream the razors dulled faster than when I used soap. I then realized that razor companies probably did this intentionally to sell more razors.

Fed up, I decided to look at other options. That's when I found this arcticle on one of the "internets."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

The article explains the history of shaving and why the current trend and technology is designed to use up razors and not necessarily create the best shave. So I used some of my Christmas money to buy the following items.

I started with a real badger haired shaving brush.
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...30/2184118.htm

Then I purchased some glycerine based shaving soap and an old school mug. (I got a blue one since that was the only one offered in Bronco Colors. )
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...960/198657.htm
http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...952/203624.htm

The new razor I had pruchased was still on it's way when I got these things so I decided to start using them with my Mach 3 in the mean time. Just using those three items was a different experience entirely. I found that the soap felt great and left nice smell on my skin. The blade would glide easily across my face and didn't leave the residue that the normal shaving foams and gels did. The brush and mug, when used correctly, creates a hot lather that warms and softens the bristles. This makes them easier to cut and allows them a little bit of give. The result is a smoother, closer shave.

Finally my razor arrived. http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...941/190429.htm
I immediately liked it. It's made of a high grade German steel that I can tell will last 100 years. It's surprisingly simple. Just a double edged single razor. No pivoting head, no fancy screens, no aloe strip.

Using it was a little weird. You have to use short quick strokes either with the grain or directly against it. Getting around the tough areas (chin, upper lip) can be difficult, but by the second try I had a handle on it. It was actually fun to use, and the shave is much closer than I would have thought. The experience is much better too. The smooth soaps and, the nice smell, and the slick feel of the razor is awesome. I actually enjoy shaving now. The number of in-grown hairs is reduced and my face is much silkier than I ever achieved with a muli-blade razor.

So gentlemen, there are some alternatives out there for you. I thought I would share some of the things I had found recently that make the experience better overall.

Here is a site that offers some things.
http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html

I didn't get everything from this site, though. I had to shop around for some of the things, but they give you a good set of what options are out there. I ended up buy a stand for my brush a little later as well because they are supposed to be stored bristles down if you want 10+ years out of them. I think if anything, you guys trying out the brush and a nice soap will make your overall experience better.
You and me both... finding a decent stone for a straight razor is difficult though.... a safety razor looks like it could work, but I like to go all Sweeney Todd and ****.

BTW, I absolutely love this stuff: http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bath-...ave-cream.aspx
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #196
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
I use a Mach 3, but I'm considering getting a Norelco.

After I get out of the Military, I'm DONE with shaving. I'll just get a beard & Mustache trimmer.
Hahaha, this was in 2006... turns out I'm not the best looking guy with a beard, lol.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #197
Inkana7
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Shaving ****ing sucks, so I may be investing in a brush, soap and old school razor soon.
Inkana7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #198
Al Wilson 4 Mayor
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I bought the same razor mentioned in the OP, probably about 10 years ago. I bought it from a knife\razor shop in the mall in Boise. I was really disappointed because the shaft broke off right where it connects to the blade container.

The salesman (I think he was the owner operator) would not guarantee the razor or repair it. I had a funny feeling he had repaired before and soldered. I wish to this day I would have asked for it back so I could inspect it a little closer. My gut told me he just tried to resell it. Looking back I would imagine the manufacturer would have wanted to know about my experience, but that's too far in the past now.

I actually persuaded my dad to give me his 5 or 6 years ago because he doesn't use it anymore. I don't even use soap. I just shave in the shower with a fogless mirror. It's hard to beat a good sharp razor.
Al Wilson 4 Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:27 PM   #199
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
It's also a lot rougher on my face. I get bad razor burn from electrics. The last time I tried I gave it 1 month and my skin never adapted. This is by far the best option I have found.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #200
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
It's also a lot rougher on my face. I get bad razor burn from electrics. The last time I tried I gave it 1 month and my skin never adapted. This is by far the best option I have found.
Yeah, I have that problem if I don't shave every day. My face doesn't get the razor burn but I will walk around with a bright red neck all day if I shave after skipping a day or two.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote