The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default OT: Game of Thrones Major Spoiler Thread

Has anyone read the books? I saw the teaser clip for the new HBO mini-series and haven't read a book in many months and wanted to get back to reading.

The link is here
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones?cmpid=ABC794

I've heard it's one of the most well-written fantasy series out there. I like Sean Bean too, even if he's looking chubby in this.

Last edited by Old Dude; 05-07-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Has anyone read the books? I saw the teaser clip for the new HBO mini-series and haven't read a book in many months and wanted to get back to reading.

The link is here

I've heard it's one of the most well-written fantasy series out there. I like Sean Bean too, even if he's looking chubby in this.
I watched the teaser looks pretty good. I think it starts next Sunday.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

My bro and I were wondering about this show. Looks interesting. Normally I'd pass this off as some Xena Warrior Princess C grade schlock... but it's HBO...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

I've read the book. Martin was one of the big three that ruled fantasy for a while - Jordan, Goodkind and Martin. Martin hit writers block, and there hasn't been a book in this series in five years or so. Goodkind retired from Fantasy, Jordan died.

Word of warning, the Martin books are not happy books. They make the Soprano's look like the Mickey Mouse club.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostknight View Post
I've read the book. Martin was one of the big three that ruled fantasy for a while - Jordan, Goodkind and Martin. Martin hit writers block, and there hasn't been a book in this series in five years or so. Goodkind retired from Fantasy, Jordan died.

Word of warning, the Martin books are not happy books. They make the Soprano's look like the Mickey Mouse club.
See this I like
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
GoHAM
Ring of Famer

36, now that's shabby!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Unrein

Easily one of my favorite book series.

So good in fact I am wary of watching the HBO series in case it ruins the books in some way.
GoHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #7
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I think I am going to switch back to HBO for this. Was going to wait until the summer for True Blood and Entourage but this has peaked my interest. I like the HBO / Showtime series so much more then the censored channels.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Obushma
Ring of Famer

Bring your lunch pail

Quote:

The link is here

I've read what he's completed in the series, they are some of the best fiction books i've read. They are very adult themed though Kaylore, rape, murder, explecit sex, throughout the books.
Obushma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Dendave
Ring of Famer

Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWYO View Post
Easily one of my favorite book series.

So good in fact I am wary of watching the HBO series in case it ruins the books in some way.
Agree, but added HBO today to watch
Dendave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #10
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obushma View Post
I've read what he's completed in the series, they are some of the best fiction books i've read. They are very adult themed though Kaylore, rape, murder, explecit sex, throughout the books.
*setting DVR*
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

The link is here

I've read 'em. If you are at all a fantasy fan, they are a must read. It is a little frustrating that he kinda stalled out for a while, but the next book is due in July, so that is the good news. The storyline and world he has created are very well fleshed out and detailed, and the character arcs intersect in clever and surprising ways.

The style of the books is interesting as well. Each chapter follows one character, so sometimes you get really into what's going on with one character, but you don't get back to their story for several chapters. Other times, you get to see the same event from several different perspectives, gaining a more complete picture. It is a pretty complex series, and remembering all of the characters can be challenging at times. Overall, they are engrossing books, and I'm excited to see what they do with the series.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

So.... what is this about?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So.... what is this about?
Think very adult mafia style power contest set in middle ages fantasy setting. The books were extremely interesting, but Martin lost his way toward the end and never complete the epic series he started.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
lostknight
In The Arena

ohwaitwtf

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Martin kind of wrote himself in a corner (by his own admission). I would guess that the HBO contract included some varient of "you must finish the books" which is why he is getting back to it by now.

He's a great writer - probably the most natural writer of the old big three. I do have to say that the new generation of fantasy writers - In particular Patrick Rothfuss's unbeliavably great series The Name of the Wind, and Brandon Sanderson (who took over the Wheel of Time books from Jordan) are better authors I think then any of the three.

(If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you need to. It's Tolkein and C.S. Lewis good).
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #15
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Martin kind of wrote himself in a corner (by his own admission). I would guess that the HBO contract included some varient of "you must finish the books" which is why he is getting back to it by now.

He's a great writer - probably the most natural writer of the old big three. I do have to say that the new generation of fantasy writers - In particular Patrick Rothfuss's unbeliavably great series The Name of the Wind, and Brandon Sanderson (who took over the Wheel of Time books from Jordan) are better authors I think then any of the three.

(If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you need to. It's Tolkein and C.S. Lewis good).
Rothfuss is outstanding writer, no matter what genre you favor. His new books is even better then The Name of Wind.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Natedog24
Ring of Famer

Win The Day

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'm more excited for the next the book in his series which finally has a solid release date. July 12 2011, I hope it was worth the wait.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html
Natedog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #17
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I own the first book of the same title. Made it 30 pages before passing unconscious, and that's coming from the guy who's read all roughly 15,000 pages of Jordan's Wheel of Time.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:57 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

The guy that's finishing the series for him, Brandon Sanderson, is pretty amazing (though I thought the ending of the last one was pretty Mickey Mouse and stupid -- disclaimer: that ending prob came from Jordan's pre death notes)
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #19
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Tied with the Dune saga for my favorite series of books.

Wheel of Time and Goodkind's stuff is very dry compared to A Song of Ice and Fire imo.
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
scorpio
Cubicle Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkporter View Post
It is a pretty complex series, and remembering all of the characters can be challenging at times.
The character list in A Feast for Crows is 70 pages long
scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #21
shaunroach
Rookie

It's an awesome series because no one is safe. Any character can die at anytime. I don't have HBO, but I'll probably plow through the DVD set like the Wire.

I have not read Brandon Sanderson, but did you know he was room mates with Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings?? TRUE FACT.

Also I agree about Rothfuss, he pretty good too.
shaunroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #22
Jay3

It's very well written, and I recommend it. I'm not much for all that epic fantasy stuff, but so many friends recommended this one as "the best," I thought I'd try it with the series coming up. It reads well and was enjoyable.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #23
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I own the first book of the same title. Made it 30 pages before passing unconscious, and that's coming from the guy who's read all roughly 15,000 pages of Jordan's Wheel of Time.
You've got it backwards. Wheel of Time is murder.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #24
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
You've got it backwards. Wheel of Time is murder.
Books 8-10 were rough.

I have my suspicions that his wife (an editor at Tor) made him drag it out since the series is such a cash cow. After all, it was intended to be 12 books long and we're finally hitting the end when they release #14 at the start of next year
Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

wow. After hearing about everyones positive reviews, I decided to check the books out. Every copy in the Denver area (except for the bookmobile, and I don't know if I can just show up at one of the elementary school locations to check one out there) is either checked out or on hold.

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a little while
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote