The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #51
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
That's more like it. JJ Watt does not belong in the top 10 discussion at all.
or this discussion for that matter
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #52
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Three 2nd round picks? We can't trade Orton without a CBA.
He's referring to the scenario mentioned before of trading down on draft day from #2 to #4 overall and gaining an extra 2nd that way. Not from trading Orton.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #53
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
He's referring to the scenario mentioned before of trading down on draft day from #2 to #4 overall and gaining an extra 2nd that way. Not from trading Orton.
Gotcha. Sign me up.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #54
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
or this discussion for that matter
Putting Watt in a discussion with Peterson, Fairley, Dareus, and Miller is like putting Chevy Chase in a discussion with Tom Hanks, Jack Nicholson, and Marlon Brando.

Yeah, they're all actors, but of far different class.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #55
Shananahan

Well, I wouldn't go that far. I'd rather draft J.J. Watt at #2 than Von Miller.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #56
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I always love these threads where a specific draft prospect is what the Broncos need, and only that prospect is good and if we don't draft this specific prospect then the whole draft sucks.
Me too. Personaly, I prefer to wait until after the draft so I can really be sure which prospect to whine about us not drafting.

bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #57
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
Von Miller is gonna be awesome
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #58
bronco

Quote:
That's more like it. JJ Watt does not belong in the top 10 discussion at all.
Wow, that was clever. You edit my post as a jab at me, because I don't share your man love for Peterson. How about coming up with a cogent argument that Watt is not worth at top 10 pick? Or is that too much for your PP-obsessed brain to handle?

and so what if the combine made me like him even more? It showed his elite athleticism, which hints at his elite potential. I liked him a lot before the drills, maybe not at #2 (though I wouldn't have complained), but after that he showed he has it all and is worthy of the #2 pick. Nobody was talking about Chris Johnson in the 1st round, or Mario Williams at #1 overall, before they tore it up at the combine either. Should they have been ridiculed too?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #59
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Rahim Moore is looking nice in drills.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #60
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
and so what if the combine made me like him even more? It showed his elite athleticism, which hints at his elite potential. I liked him a lot before the drills, maybe not at #2 (though I wouldn't have complained), but after that he showed he has it all and is worthy of the #2 pick. Nobody was talking about Chris Johnson in the 1st round, or Mario Williams at #1 overall, before they tore it up at the combine either. Should they have been ridiculed too?
I wasn't ridiculing you. There is a lot to like about Watt, and maybe if we were still running a 3-4 I would be more open to the thought of considering him at #2. As it is, I am leery of over-drafting guys based on their combine workouts. That's all.

I hope we don't out-think ourselves, just take Dareus where we're at unless somebody starts throwing picks at us to trade up, and be done with it.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #61
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Von Miller is far superior to Watt. FAR.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #62
Shananahan

You're welcome to think that and I can't say you're wrong, but I don't get it. His forte is rushing the passer, he's only 235+/-lbs. and hasn't had extensive experience playing OLB in a 4-3. Unless you think we're going to be sending him after the QB half the time there's no way you can convince me he's worth the #2, and if we're blitzing him that often I have no idea how we're compensating in coverage.

Watt is a physical force who could play the strongside DE position as well as possibly DT and move around on the line in different looks. He's put up decent stats and theoretically only stands to improve as a player given the amount of time he's played the position. I still don't like him at #2, but he makes much more sense that high for our defense than Von Miller, in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #63
MABroncoFan
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Saw this on rotoworld.com. It'd be nice to trade back to pick up more picks, but #9 is too far back.

Citing sources, SI's Tony Pauline reports that the Cowboys have LSU CB Patrick Peterson ranked as the top player in the 2011 NFL draft.

Their high opinion was only reinforced by Peterson's 4.32 and 4.37 forty times Tuesday at the Combine. Per Pauline, Dallas "covets" the 2010 Thorpe Award winner. The Cowboys draft ninth overall, so they may strongly consider a move up for Peterson. Terence Newman is a candidate for offseason release. Related: CowboysSource: TFY Draft Insider Mar 1, 1:10 PM
MABroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #64
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Wow, that was clever. You edit my post as a jab at me, because I don't share your man love for Peterson. How about coming up with a cogent argument that Watt is not worth at top 10 pick? Or is that too much for your PP-obsessed brain to handle?
My take on Peterson has nothing to do with Watt not belonging in this discussion.

Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, Quinn, Smith, and Jordan are all DL who are superior to Watt. Watt isn't even a top 5 DL prospect let alone overall. Add in Peterson, Amukamara, Green, Von Miller, Tyron Smith, Julio Jones, Gabbert, Newton,etc.

It's a pretty easy argument. I'll put it this way, see if you can get one other maner to back a "Watt in the top 5 take."
Old 03-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #65
bronco

Quote:
My take on Peterson has nothing to do with Watt not belonging in this discussion.

Bowers, Fairley, Dareus, Quinn, Smith, and Jordan are all DL who are superior to Watt. Watt isn't even a top 5 DL prospect let alone overall. Add in Peterson, Amukamara, Green, Von Miller, Tyron Smith, Julio Jones, Gabbert, Newton,etc.

It's a pretty easy argument. I'll put it this way, see if you can get one other maner to back a "Watt in the top 5 take."
You still haven't offered any reasons as to why all those guys are better than Watt, and I don't think you can other than "Most sites have those guys ahead of Watt". To which I would reply, "Those sites are full of it".

I don't really care if anybody agrees with me or not. I'm not a sheep.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #66
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
You still haven't offered any reasons as to why all those guys are better than Watt, and I don't think you can other than "Most sites have those guys ahead of Watt". To which I would reply, "Those sites are full of it".

I'd like my defensive ends to have more than 7 sacks in college.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #67
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:

keep fighting the power man!
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #68
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:
Peterson 4.32
I happened to be near a TV set at work today, and that TV just happened to be tuned to the combine. Funny how that works, isn't it? Anyway...I saw that and went "Daaaaaay-um." I'm still thinking I would not be unhappy with Peterson at #2. Go after DT and ILB in the second, the talent seems to fit our picks.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #69
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
You're welcome to think that and I can't say you're wrong, but I don't get it. His forte is rushing the passer, he's only 235+/-lbs. and hasn't had extensive experience playing OLB in a 4-3. Unless you think we're going to be sending him after the QB half the time there's no way you can convince me he's worth the #2, and if we're blitzing him that often I have no idea how we're compensating in coverage.

Watt is a physical force who could play the strongside DE position as well as possibly DT and move around on the line in different looks. He's put up decent stats and theoretically only stands to improve as a player given the amount of time he's played the position. I still don't like him at #2, but he makes much more sense that high for our defense than Von Miller, in my opinion.
I never said I liked Miller at #2. I said he's far superior to Watt. Which he is.

I'd love Watt at #36.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #70
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

STOP
OVERRATING
VON
MILLER

Especially in the top 5 FFS.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #71
listopencil
[sarcasm]text[/sarcasm]

BOOM! Winner.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Broncos FO

Quote:

Is Watt the guy that went from the secondary to DE and is blazing fast? If so, no I would hate him at the #2 pick.
listopencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #72
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
STOP
OVERRATING
VON
MILLER

Especially in the top 5 FFS.
Why is he overrated exactly? Is it his awesome production, awesome measurables? Awesome athletic ability? Awesome leadership skills? Which is it?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #73
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Don't know why Fairley isn't on the "elite" list on this thread. Or Bowers. Especially ahead of Miller. To each his own, I guess.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #74
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Why is he overrated exactly? Is it his awesome production, awesome measurables? Awesome athletic ability? Awesome leadership skills? Which is it?
He excelled by his speed in the college.
He hardly had to cover people at A&M, so having him be an OLB could be a transition.

Heck, look at Aaron Curry. How awesome has he been for the Seahawks? AJ Hawk? I see Miller, not being a bust, but nowhere near the player some of you think he will be. You guys think he'll have 14 sacks seasons and cause all these disruptive plays, but he will never see those numbers IMO.

And what leadership skills are you talking of?

For being the #2 pick, I'd be pissed because to me in Denver he'll be DJ Williams 2.0 here IMO.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #75
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
He excelled by his speed in the college.
He hardly had to cover people at A&M, so having him be an OLB could be a transition.

Heck, look at Aaron Curry. How awesome has he been for the Seahawks? AJ Hawk? I see Miller, not being a bust, but nowhere near the player some of you think he will be. You guys think he'll have 14 sacks seasons and cause all these disruptive plays, but he will never see those numbers IMO.

And what leadership skills are you talking of?

For being the #2 pick, I'd be pissed because to me in Denver he'll be DJ Williams 2.0 here IMO.
He had 17 sacks two seasons ago/11 last season. Thats production. He has the speed to go sideline to sideline and, while OLB may be an adjustment in the pros, they said he picked it up fairly well at the senior bowl (where he was probably the best player.) Im obviously not in the huddle with him, but many claim his leadership of the D was apparent. He's got great size, great speed, great agility and great production.

I dont see why he's overrated and i dunno why you compare him to AJ hawk...they are two diff players.