The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default Marcell Dareus, Von Miller, Patrick Peterson

These are the guys I like for the Broncos. They are the true elite players in this draft along with A.J. Green. All 3 of these guys are elite in that I think they will be impact playmakers at all 3 levels of the defense respectively. Players that you can build your defense around. The Broncos NEED playmakers, particularly on defense. Let's start with my favorite guy:

Marcell Dareus is a monster. He's great against the run, he's good at rushing the QB, he can occupy blockers, he can do everything you want from a DT. One of the other great things about Dareus is because of his great versatility, we can run different schemes and change our look on defense throughout a game. He can NT or 3-tech DE in a 4-3 and he can also play 5-tech DE in a 3-4 and even NT in a 3-4. We can move him all over the line. He can make plays at every one of those roles. He is such a great football player.

Von Miller is a beast and would really bring playmaking and leadership to the 2nd level of this defense. His greatest strength is pass rushing ability. Even though I think he could be great at either OLB spots in a 4-3, if we draft him we would be smart to play a hybrid to give him more blitzing opportunities at 3-4 OLB. My favorite thing about Von Miller is he seems to make those around him better. We haven't had that in a linebacker since Al Wilson.

Patrick Peterson is a freak and I don't care if you play him at CB, FS, or SS he would be a playmaker and difference make on defense. To me he is a CB but could be just as great at safety. If we chose to make him a safety I really believe he has the talent to be as good as Ed Reed. If we play him at corner he has the athletic ability of a Cromartie but he has more discipline, better character and is much better at catching the football. Dennis Allen likes DB's that make plays on the ball. He has too much speed to be a safety. Maybe we can move him to that position at the end of his career when he starts to lose that speed, but to play him at safety now would be foolish. He doesn't fit Fox zone-heavy scheme? Even more foolish. This is John Fox people, not Josh McDaniels. He knows that players make plays, he's not going to try to pigeon-hole players to fit his scheme. He's a player's coach and gets the most out of them. To say that he can't play zone is dumb to me as well. He has great instincts and closes on the football with the best of them. When he gets to the football he catches it and takes it the other way. With Champ on the other side QBs will be throwing is at him frequently. Will he give up some big plays and make mistakes? Of course, he's a rookie! But he would make far more plays than he gives up. If you want to see takeaways, how could you not like a Champ/Peterson tandem? When Champ moves to safety he will be ready to be a shutdown corner in his own right.

I look at these three guys and I WISH we could have all three! Unfortunately we can't, but could we get two of them? Yes We Can. With how many teams are in need of a QB I think it is safe to assume at least 1 QB will go in the top 5.
1. Carolina - DaQuan Bowers - I think he is the favorite to go here. Ron Rivera will want his great pass rushing ability. Nick Fairley also makes a lot of sense. Gabbert is a darkhorse.
2. Trade to Cincinnatti - Blaine Gabbert. They need Palmer's replacement and will move up in front of Buffalo to get the #1 QB. Broncos gain the 35th pick and a 2012 3rd rd pick.
3. Buffalo - Cam Newton. I just don't see Chan Gailey passing on this guy. Dareus could really go here as well though.
4. Denver is on the clock. We can't decide which of these 3 guys to take. We call Cleveland, offer 3 2nds for #6 and they jump. Holmgren can rebuild his new 4-3 defense with 4 2nd round picks. The Broncos see Von Miller being taken at #5 so we take him here.
5. Cardinals - Richard Quinn. They really wanted Von Miller here but are more than happy to end up with Quinn.
6. Denver - Marcel Dareus - We end up with our top 2 guys in the draft. We gained an extra 2nd to move down to 4, then flip that with our original 2nds to jump all the way up to 6. So we basically only gave up 36 and 46 to get Dareus here.

This scenario could actually happen even if both neither QB go top 5. 1 will certainly go top 5 tho. Then if Fairley or one of these 3 guys go top 5 we could still end up with two of them at 4 and 6.

This is an unorthodox move but would transform the future of this defense and both of these guys could make an immediate impact. We still have #67 plus we gained an extra day 2 pick in 2012.
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

So basically our almost entire draft class would consist of 2 players. Huh. Sounds kind of 2007ish if you ask me.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
So basically our almost entire draft class would consist of 2 players. Huh. Sounds kind of 2007ish if you ask me.
So you're comparing Marcel Dareus/Von Miller/#67 to Jarvis Moss/Marcus Thomas/Ryan Harris? ok.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
schaaf

I liked your post up until you said to take all our seconds and trade them for the #6.

Not only would that be impossible to happen, it would be foolish.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

how does this make sense....how do we end up with 4 and 6?
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaaf View Post
I liked your post up until you said to take all our seconds and trade them for the #6.

Not only would that be impossible to happen, it would be foolish.
I don't know if I disagree with you, but I wanted to show that it is feasible. If the Broncos think there are two guys you can make the face of your franchise which I think these 3 guys are, then I don't know if it would be foolish.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancejohnson82 View Post
2 traded to Cincy for 4 and 35. Then we trade 35, 36 & 46 for 6.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
2 traded to Cincy for 4 and 35. Then we trade 35, 36 & 46 for 6.
oh wow....

not sure if i would like that....would sure make the draft interesting but i would not agree with it
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
oh wow....

not sure if i would like that....would sure make the draft interesting but i would not agree with it
Elway wouldn't do it. He's talking like he wants to stockpile picks. I just think these 3 guys are elite talents and getting 2 could transform the defense.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

It'll never happen but I can't fathom anybody here being upset if it did

Denver would still end up with 3 players in the first 3 rounds and two of them are Dareus & Miller....WTF wouldn't take that?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
It'll never happen but I can't fathom anybody here being upset if it did

Denver would still end up with 3 players in the first 3 rounds and two of them are Dareus & Miller....WTF wouldn't take that?
can I be the first to say me?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Like I said, we basically only had to give up 36 and 46. So would you rather have whoever you want at 36 and 46, or one of these 3 players?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

As long as we're going all madden.....Here's my dream draft.

Denver trades #2 to Tennessee for #7, #39 & #108(Rd 4).
Denver trades #39 & #46 to NE for #17 & #124(Rd. 4)

(First trade favors Tennessee on the chart, 2nd is spot on)

Denver gets one of the following at #7....Dareus, Peterson, Miller or Fairley.

#17 JJ Watt
#36 Kyle Rudolph TE
#67 Jurell Casey DT
#108 Casey Mathews MLB
#124 Kendall Hunter RB

Old 03-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #14
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Certainly. I just don't understand it.

In any given year, most teams get 3 picks in 3 rounds, yes? Denver happens to have an extra 2nd as 1/2 of B-Marsh compensation.

If you don't agree with the players he laid out, fine. But how could you not think that Denver's earned 1st & 2nd rounder plus 1/2 of B-Marsh is not worth TWO top 6 picks?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Isn't going to happen. No one will want to trade up, browns won't give up that high a pick for a few 2nd rounders.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 AM   #16
UboBronco
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Isn't going to happen. No one will want to trade up, browns won't give up that high a pick for a few 2nd rounders.
You may be surprised on what trades happen this year. If a team believes there will be no games this year, they may be trading into next years draft to get players that actually are playing for a year into their rookie seasons. Any down time is going to hurt a younger player more than a veteren that knows what to expect and how to get ready for the NFL.
UboBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #17
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

Did you think about how expensive that would be That is nearly $150 million in guaranteed money right there. Even if a rookie wage scale happens it would still be too much money to spend on three players.
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #18
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarsh615 View Post
Did you think about how expensive that would be That is nearly $150 million in guaranteed money right there. Even if a rookie wage scale happens it would still be too much money to spend on three players.
There WILL be a rookie scale. Both sides want that and it is an essential aspect of getting the new CBA done. These rookies can't be signed until the CBA and therefore the rookie wage scale, is agreed to. $150 million isn't even close man...
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 AM   #19
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UboBronco View Post
You may be surprised on what trades happen this year. If a team believes there will be no games this year, they may be trading into next years draft to get players that actually are playing for a year into their rookie seasons. Any down time is going to hurt a younger player more than a veteren that knows what to expect and how to get ready for the NFL.
I'm pretty sure there won't be any trades unless there is a cba already.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
Shananahan

Quote:
How does it makes sense that you were unable to figure this out by reading the first post?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
How does it makes sense that you were unable to figure this out by reading the first post?
Simple. Vance doesn't read.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #22
Shananahan

I'm wouldn't prefer this scenario to using all the available picks acquired, but I would have to be excited if it happened. If we were somehow able to get these picks, I'd like to see them walk away with Dareus and Peterson.

I don't like drafting Miller that high, though, and honestly don't understand the desire to draft a linebacker whose main strength would be somewhat handcuffed by our scheme within the top ten, much less the top 15. If I'm drafting a linebacker at #5 and above, I want to be sure that the guy is a monster against the run and can shut it down sideline to sideline while being able to play the pass and cover TEs. I'd prefer those skills along with a talent for blitzing to a fast fluid athlete who specializes in rushing the passer above all else.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #23
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelo15 View Post
So you're comparing Marcel Dareus/Von Miller/#67 to Jarvis Moss/Marcus Thomas/Ryan Harris? ok.
I'm comparing the philosophy of trading a lot of draft picks for a few tageted guys. If those guys don't work out, and you all of a sudden have less chances to hit on, if either of those guys bust out, the class is screwed.

You gonna sit there and guaruntee that Dareus and Miller will not be busts?
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM   #24
rugbythug
Church Eyes.

Salty Dog

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mr. Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I'm wouldn't prefer this scenario to using all the available picks acquired, but I would have to be excited if it happened. If we were somehow able to get these picks, I'd like to see them walk away with Dareus and Peterson.

I don't like drafting Miller that high, though, and honestly don't understand the desire to draft a linebacker whose main strength would be somewhat handcuffed by our scheme within the top ten, much less the top 15. If I'm drafting a linebacker at #5 and above, I want to be sure that the guy is a monster against the run and can shut it down sideline to sideline while being able to play the pass and cover TEs. I'd prefer those skills along with a talent for blitzing to a fast fluid athlete who specializes in rushing the passer above all else.
I could not disagree more rushing the passer and covering tight ends were our schooled heal last year. Miller would be my guy at 2. I think he can be derrick thomas.
rugbythug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #25
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Charlie Sheen posts here?
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote