The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #2226
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The NFL Players Association has sent a memo to all certified agents disputing the league's contention that the franchise tag will be available for use as normal over the next few weeks.

"The current CBA provides that 'each club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent [or RFA] as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement,'" said the memo. "The 2011 season is not a 'season during the term of this Agreement' so the NFL has no valid basis for claiming the right to franchise players in 2011." The NFLPA seems to have a legit complaint here, but the league is sure to have a rejoinder. Feb. 3 - 3:36 pm et
Source: Pro Football Talk on NBCSports.com
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #2227
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Art Schlichter accused of Super Bowl ticket scam

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-ticket-scam/

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 5, 2011, 11:13 AM EST

Whenever we talk about Art Schlichter, the quarterback whom the Baltimore Colts selected with the fourth overall pick in the 1982 draft, you can assume it’s a story that’s only related to football in the sense that Schlichter is using his football connections to aid him in swindling people out of their money and then losing that money gambling.

So as soon as you saw “Art Schlichter” in the headline above, you should have expected something like this: The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that Schlichter is the target of an investigation by local and federal authorities centering on a sports-ticket scheme that has swindled people out of several million dollars.

Some of those people gave money to Schlichter because he promised he could get them tickets to the Super Bowl, and those people are currently stuck in Dallas without any way of getting into the Super Bowl, because Schlichter, of course, isn’t coming through with the tickets.

At this point you might be wondering what kind of people would trust Schlichter with their money. It’s a reasonable question: Schlichter has spent much of his life in prison for various crimes related to his gambling addiction and illegal activities that helped him fuel that addiction.

But Schlichter has a knack for finding wealthy people and convincing them to give him their money. That’s his gift. In this case, he seems to have pulled off the scam through his involvement with a wealthy woman whom he befriended while he was still Ohio State’s star quarterback, 30 years ago.

Schlichter confirmed to the Dispatch that he plans to speak with authorities soon, and he tried to portray himself as a suffering gambling addict who wants to assist other gambling addicts.

“It will help a lot of people,” Schlichter said in a text message. “This addiction is a [expletive].”

After he was released from prison in 2006, Schlichter told the Dispatch he was “more sorry than people will ever know.”

But apparently not sorry enough to stop.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #2228
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Some of those people gave money to Schlichter because he promised he could get them tickets to the Super Bowl, and those people are currently stuck in Dallas without any way of getting into the Super Bowl, because Schlichter, of course, isn’t coming through with the tickets.

Art Schlichter may be the shadiest man on the planet.

I wouldn't give him a thatch of my ball hairs for a 50 yard line ticket to the Super Bowl.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 02-05-2011 at 08:48 AM..
Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #2229
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Phil Simms threatens to punch Desmond Howard

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...esmond-howard/

Posted by Evan Silva on February 5, 2011, 3:48 PM EST

This might fall more under the category of college football because Desmond Howard is a college “analyst” for ESPN, but the situation does involve former NFL quarterback Phil Simms, now a CBS analyst, and Howard, a former Super Bowl M.V.P. So we’ll post it.

On Saturday afternoon, Howard posted a series of tweets detailing a recent encounter with Simms which allegedly ended with Simms threatening to punch Howard.

“At NFL Xperience and Phil Simms just threatened 2 hit me b/c I said his son was 1 of the worse QBs in the SEC,” Howard tweeted. “I told (Phil) ‘LET’S GO.’”

Simms’ son, Matt, lost his starting job in 2010 to true freshman Tyler Bray at Tennessee. So apparently Desmond’s analysis was spot-on.

“I am DEAD serious about the Phil Simms thing,” added Howard. “We all thought he was joking, but he kept going and said he wanted 2 take a swing at me!!

“During the season we talked about the Tenn v LSU game and I said ‘u will see 3 of the worse QBs in the SEC’ That’s what Phil did not like.

“It ended w/police stepping in between so I could continue my appearance w/fans.”

Phil Simms is about 6-foot-3 and 230 pounds, while Howard is around 5-foot-10 and 185. Simms might not have been right to threaten Howard physically, but if the two do come to blows our money is on Howard getting the “worse” of it.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #2230
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The truth hurts doesn't Phil both his sons suck
Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #2231
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Hey SSJ did you ever do that draft thing you were wanting to do?
Old 02-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #2232
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Hey SSJ did you ever do that draft thing you were wanting to do?
I wrote up a MAC Draft Report last year, but didn't do anything with it besides send it out to 15-20 people that wanted it.

Not sure if I'll have time to do anything major this year, 21 month old daughter keeps me busy in my spare time.

I'm sure I'll write up a few things and can send them to you if I do.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #2233
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

If I get time I may do another MAC Draft Report or maybe a Big Ten Draft Report.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #2234
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Cool SSJ

Cardinals | Larry Fitzgerald has eyes on Kevin Kolb, Marc Bulger
Sun, 06 Feb 2011 09:22:06 -0800
Arizona Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald was asked by the team's brass for his opinion on which quarterback the team should try to trade for or sign as a free agent during the offseason, reports ESPN's Adam Schefter. Fitzgerald's first recommendation was Philadelphia Eagles QB Kevin Kolb, whom the Eagles are believed to be listening to trade offers for. Fitzgerald also brought up Baltimore Ravens QB Marc Bulger, who will be a free agent this offseason. Fitzgerald is entering the final year of his contract with the team, and they want to keep him happy to better their chances of re-signing him to a long-term deal.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1DCml49oI

In the wake of a report that the Cardinals have consulted with Larry Fitzgerald on their quarterback situation, coach Ken Whisenhunt emphasized that it was simply a routine discussion as part of his "open door policy."
"Larry and I talked about a number of things," said Whisenhunt. "I've talked to other players as well ... Larry is obviously not making the decisions." Fitz is walking a fine line here. He's made it clear that he's not qualified to play a major role in personnel decisions. On the other hand, the Cardinals understand that the 2011 QB situation will go a long way toward deciding Fitz's future in Arizona.
Source: Arizona Republic

Last edited by oubronco; 02-06-2011 at 10:38 AM..
Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 AM   #2235
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Titans have hired Mike Munchak as the team's second head coach since moving to Tennessee, deciding to promote from within to replace Jeff Fisher.

Owner Bud Adams Monday called the move a special day for the franchise; Munchak becomes the first former player to coach the team. He becomes the 16th head coach in Titans/Oilers franchise history.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #2236
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Falcons S Erik Coleman will reportedly be released on Tuesday.

As we reported earlier in the day, Coleman's 2011 base salary was set to jump from $2.5 million to $3 million after hitting escalators. Having lost his starting job to William Moore, Coleman is no longer in the team's plans. He may have to take a backup job elsewhere after starting all 32 games for Atlanta in 2008-2009.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #2237
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The Texans have joined the Vikings in showing interest in CFL pass rusher Phillip Hunt.

The window to sign CFL players ends on February 15. Hunt, 23, looks the part of a 3-4 OLB like the Texans need at 6'2/260. He also is a Houston native, having played college ball for the Cougars. As a member of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers this past season, Hunt led the Canadian League with 16 sacks.
Related: Texans, Vikings

Source: FOX Sports NFL Buzz
Feb 8, 11:01:00 AM

Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #2238
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The Bears will cut Chester Taylor this offseason, a source tells CSNChicago.com.

Taylor is heading into the second season of a four-year, $12.5 million contract. The Bears already wasted over $6 million in bonuses on Taylor, but he averaged 2.4 yards per carry in 2010. Severely lacking in explosiveness going on age 32, Taylor is an easily-replaced player. The Bears could look to the draft for his replacement behind Matt Forte.
Source: CSNChicago.com
2/7/2011 8:28:00 AM
Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #2239
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

What is wrong with Simms? I can't believe he would do that. He has the same job as Desmond so you'd think he would get it. It wasn't even a mean-spirited comment.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #2240
BroncoBuff

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #2241
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Wow didn't see this one coming

Titans | Mike Munchak has control over staff
Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:43:13 -0800

Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak can overhaul the team's coaching staff if he so chooses, according to John Glennon, of The Tennessean.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1DPzy6iUm

Titans | Mike Heimerdinger fired
Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:35:09 -0800

The Tennessee Titans fired offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger Tuesday, Feb. 8, according to ESPN.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1DPzCleYw

Last edited by oubronco; 02-08-2011 at 04:49 PM..
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #2242
Kaylore
Genetically Superior

Because I am better.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

That's gotta be weird. Your line coach is promoted ahead of you then he cans you. No love lost in Tennessee.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #2243
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Ryan Mallett expected to take huge draft day fall. Could drop to 2nd, possibly3rd round
http://twitter.com/#!/caplannfl/stat...64943364001792
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 PM   #2244
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
Wow didn't see this one coming

Titans | Mike Munchak has control over staff
Tue, 08 Feb 2011 07:43:13 -0800

Tennessee Titans head coach Mike Munchak can overhaul the team's coaching staff if he so chooses, according to John Glennon, of The Tennessean.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1DPzy6iUm

Titans | Mike Heimerdinger fired
Tue, 08 Feb 2011 11:35:09 -0800

The Tennessee Titans fired offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger Tuesday, Feb. 8, according to ESPN.com.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1DPzCleYw
There is something dirty about firing a guy who has cancer, maybe its just me.
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #2245
ICON
|^|Punter of Gnomes|^|

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Snap!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Union, agents considering boycott of combine, draft activities

Quote:
Top union officials and player agents are discussing the possibility of withholding prospects from the NFL Scouting Combine and 2011 NFL Draft activities, sources said Friday, with the league's collective bargaining agreement expiring March 3

Quote:
The AP confirmed the talks though a source and reported the union hopes such a boycott would disrupt teams' scouting of college players. Although it's unlikely to receive widespread support from agents, whose first duty is helping their clients be selected high in the draft, one prominent representative said he would instruct his clients to skip the combine if there was a consensus about doing so.

Quote:
Teams will hold workouts for prospects throughout March and April leading up to the draft, and the NFLPA also is urging agents to consider boycotting those, according to The AP.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story/0...e=HP_headlines
ICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #2246
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Mark Sanchez: not a pedophile…..but only barely:

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/t...p1=Upbox_links

Here's some footage caught by someone's cameraphone:

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 AM   #2247
ZachKC
For The Glory Of The City

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Kennison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That's gotta be weird. Your line coach is promoted ahead of you then he cans you. No love lost in Tennessee.
I have no idea if this is the case or what the inner workings of the Titans staff are.

But it would suck so hard if you were an OC and had a staff that mostly was on the same page and every body got a long with you and worked well together except for one guy that was a dick and hated you.

....then that guy gets promoted to HC.

ZachKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #2248
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Browns released RT John St. Clair.

St. Clair was due nearly $3.3 million and turns 34 this summer. Credit the Browns for shedding a ton of washed-up weight Wednesday. A 24-game starter for Cleveland over the past two seasons, St. Clair was a liability as a pass protector and below average in run blocking. He may catch on as a swing tackle elsewhere, but his days as a viable starter are long gone.

Feb 9, 6:35:00 PM

Robert Royal - TE - Browns

Browns released TE Robert Royal.

The Browns' six Wednesday cuts combined to save nearly $17 million in 2011 salary, and nearly $19 million including bonuses. Royal was due over $2M after catching just five balls for 56 yards in 15 games (four starts) last season. He turns 33 in May and won't attract much interest in free agency.

Feb 9, 6:29:00 PM

Eric Barton - LB - Browns

Browns released LB Eric Barton.

Browns started 12 games at inside linebacker in 2010, but that was never the plan. He was forced into action after D'Qwell Jackson's year-ending injury. Turning 34 next September, Barton is no more than a two-down thumper in the twilight of his career. He may have played his last down in the NFL.

Feb 9, 6:26:00 PM

David Bowens - LB - Browns

Browns released LB David Bowens.

Bowens didn't fit Cleveland's new 4-3, and the old Eric Mangini favorite turns 34 before next season. He was never going to see his $1.65 million scheduled salary. We'd have a lot more confidence in Bowens finding a new home if Mangini was still in the league. He's a coaching free agent.

Feb 9, 6:23:00 PM

Kenyon Coleman - DL - Browns

Browns released DE Kenyon Coleman.

The most surprising of Cleveland's first round of offseason cuts, Coleman was a 16-game starter at left end in 2010, racking up 68 tackles to rank sixth on the team, and chipping in 2.5 sacks. A quality run defender, the 32-year-old (in April) was deemed a misfit for the Browns' new 4-3 scheme. Coleman probably has a year or two left as at least a rotational 3-4 end.

Feb 9, 6:17
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #2249
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Falcons LE Jamaal Anderson is due a $3,558,750 salary in 2011.

The eighth overall pick in the 2007 draft has "developed" into a run-stopping defensive end, which isn't going to cut it at Anderson's salary. The 25-year-old had two sacks in 2010, playing under 50 percent of the defensive snaps. The Falcons may ask him to restructure, and cut ties if he doesn't.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Feb 9, 3:17:00 PM
Old 02-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #2250
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers considers OLB Joey Porter "doubtful" to be back with the Cardinals in 2011.

Porter only had five sacks in 2010, including zero in the final eight games. He turns 34 in March and is due a $5.75M salary, of which Porter is worth maybe half on his best day. He's likely to be released in the coming weeks. While the Cards are high on O'Brien Schofield, outside linebacker remains a major need. Von Miller is going to appeal to them with the fifth pick.
Source: Arizona Republic
2/9/2011 2:15:00 PM