The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #101
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Assuming this speculation is true (and its a big IF), I think it would only be unreasonable if that tack kept up after the emotional impact of the traumatic event subsided. But it didnt. It's a simple fact of life (cue Ray Finkle posting the Facts of Life intro with Mindy Cohn...again) that when someone is faced with a very traumatic event out of the blue (esp a young person), they will react in an unusual way, but it will generally subside and that's what happened here even if you believe this happened, since he came in there on his OWN ACCORD and on his OWN TIME REPEATEDLY to work with these people. There's nothing unreasonable about this, IMO.
First off, I think it's unfair to generalize. Not everyone reacts in an unusual way when something doesn't go exactly how they'd planned. JAY did this. Others HAVE done this. But, it isn't the norm, and I don't give hall passes for reacting like a petulant child. Actually, I WOULD give a hall pass if the person reacted like he did, and then realized the err of his ways, eventually trying to make amends. But he never retracted his offer. By just showing up to work like you're obligated to, you're not making any divergence from your original flareup. You still harbor misgivings about your coach, and continually demand a trade. I don't recall ever hearing jay say "hey, you know what, I overreacted. I want to be Denver Bronco from here on out". What I saw, was a guy coming to mandatory work functions, whilst constantly looking for an out. The coach had to prepare for the possibility that an emotionally unstable player wouldn't give his all, and acted accordingly.

You had an employee (again, it's an IF, but three separate NFL sources hardly constitutes a BIG if) that showed blatant unwillingness to work towards your vision. You have to have a backup plan, even IF the guys comes around eventually.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #102
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I can only imagine how much Jay's emo ways must have pissed of the dictatorial McDaniels.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 AM   #103
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Assuming this speculation is true (and its a big IF), I think it would only be unreasonable if that tack kept up after the emotional impact of the traumatic event subsided. But it didnt. It's a simple fact of life (cue Ray Finkle posting the Facts of Life intro with Mindy Cohn...again) that when someone is faced with a very traumatic event out of the blue (esp a young person), they will react in an unusual way, but it will generally subside and that's what happened here even if you believe this happened, since he came in there on his OWN ACCORD and on his OWN TIME REPEATEDLY to work with these people. There's nothing unreasonable about this, IMO.

Traumatic event?
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #104
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
I'm curious Rev (you seem like a fairly level headed poster, and from what I recall were a staunch cutler supporter), assuming Klis has his facts straight, does the new information cast jay in a different light for you?
Nope. Jay did so on the advice of a very close to the situation confidant.

Point blank: Denver said no. And how did Jay react? He came in to Dove Valley and started working with Josh to learn the offense.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #105
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Cutler would've been in camp and ready that May and McClueless would probably still be head coach.

I don't see the reason Bowlen had to get involved unless he was trying to avoid a repeat of Elway-Reeves.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #106
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

All of you McDaniels fans just need to move on. The guy that is now running the team has already called you a bunch of dumbasses. You would think you would get the point.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #107
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
All of you McDaniels fans just need to move on. The guy that is now running the team has already called you a bunch of dumbasses. You would think you would get the point.
Missouribronc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 AM   #108
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconia View Post
Except he wasn't. That's the whole point. Go back and read the article again...he WAS NOT willing to work with the new regime, because he demanded a trade the day Josh was hired. BEFORE the cassel talks began.

That's my whole point in bringing this up...Jay pussed out before giving anything a chance to work.
And there's this from January 3rd...A week BEFORE McD was hired
~~~~~~~~

After Mike Shanahan was fired Tuesday, Cutler, the Broncos' 25-year-old quarterback, made it clear through an emotional phone call with Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer, that play-caller Jeremy Bates had BETTER stay.

Cutler reiterated his endorsement of Bates, in much calmer tones, during a phone call the following morning placed by Bowlen, the Broncos' owner.

"Obviously he's the man around here now, so I will be talking to Jay," Bowlen said.

Cutler has been kept abreast of the coaching search. He knew the five candidates, not including Bob Stoops, before anyone else knew.

Cutler's desire to retain Bates is tied for the top reason why the Broncos are leaning toward making a defensive coordinator their head coach. The other tied-for-first reason is this Broncos franchise desperately needs to fix its defense.

(LATER in the article....)

But firing Shanahan now had the feeling of abandoning a rebuilding project just as it was developing some promise. The only way to explain the timing is the owner had become fed up with owning a company that was run by somebody else.

"I'm here every day and I make the decisions," Bowlen said Wednesday. "I run the show."

Read more: Don't discount Cutler's role in coach search - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz1C4NqnEZj
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

So..................

Shanny fired

Jay goes Emo on Ellis and starts making demands

Pat mellows him out with a condescending, "Sure kid, we'll keep you in the loop"

Pat's decides he's not gonna let some Emo QB determine the fate of HIS franchise. Was maybe leaning defensive minded HC with Bates but ultimately went with who he thought best.

Ellis/Pat hire McD

FLASH FORWARD to the Klis article in the OP....

Quote:
On Jan. 12, 2009, the day that McDaniels was officially announced as the Broncos' head coach, Cutler called the front office and demanded a trade, according to three NFL sources."

And people still think McD ran Cutler out of town? GTFO

Last edited by HAT; 01-25-2011 at 10:05 AM..
HAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #109
vancejohnson82
Shabby

Adopt-a-Bronco:
All 8 Points

Quote:
once again....Elway said nothing of the sort
vancejohnson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #110
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Damn you must have but some time into that HAT.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #111
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Damn you must have but some time into that HAT.
Not really....I just searched threads with Cutler in the title for that January. Somebody had linked that Klis article from 1/3/09 and it reminded me of his article this week (In the OP here).

I don't understand why he sat on the "trade demanded on hiring day" for 2 years though. But it's pretty obvious that at least one of his "3 NFL sources" is somebody in Denver's own FO.

Yet, jhiz and others want to discredit the premise simply because he didn't actually name his sources (Journalism 101)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #112
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

I also think Bus had a hand in this. I don't doubt he was whispering in Jay's ear that he could get him the gig with the Bears, Jay's favorite team growing up. Bus Cook has a record of this kind of ****.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #113
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I also think Bus had a hand in this. I don't doubt he was whispering in Jay's ear that he could get him the gig with the Bears, Jay's favorite team growing up. Bus Cook has a record of this kind of ****.
Nah...never...

Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #114
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Yet, jhiz and others want to discredit the premise simply because he didn't actually name his sources (Journalism 101)
Or because everyone involved in the situation said it didn't happen. Your unnamed sources have nothing on my named ones...

Maybe because it doesn't even make sense. Cutler asked for a trade when McDaniels was hired only to come in and work with him during his off time right after? That makes sense to you? This is the Cutler you know? He hates something enough to want a trade and then just shrugs it off?

It isn't just that your source is bad. It's that what you are saying just doesn't make sense AND you don't have a good source...
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #115
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Cutler asked for a trade when McDaniels was hired only to come in and work with him during his off time right after? That makes sense to you? This is the Cutler you know? He hates something enough to want a trade and then just shrugs it off?
Actually, that sounds just like Cutler.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #116
JakeNbake

I demanded a trade when McDaniels got fired
Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #117
Missouribronc
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNbake View Post
I demanded a trade when they benched Orton.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #118
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
Actually, that sounds just like Cutler.

Beat me to it.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #119
JakeNbake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribronc View Post
I demanded a trade when they benched Orton.
Good man.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #120
HAT

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNbake View Post
FU spam-bot!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #121
JakeNbake

shake it baby
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #122
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

When Elway retired, I had my dad turn in my playbook.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote