The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #1951
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

Donnie Avery tore his ACL

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-tore-his-acl/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 27, 2010 5:38 PM ET

The worst fears surrounding Rams receiver Donnie Avery's knee injury on Thursday night have been realized.

Avery will miss the 2010 with a torn ACL, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo confirmed on Friday. The third-year receiver had some issues with route running and consistency, but he was the Rams' most talented and productive receiver on the roster. (Probably not a great sign for the Rams that's true when Avery has 100 career catches.)

Brandon Gibson figures to benefit with more playing time because he's a vertical receiver like Avery. Laurent Robinson is the new "No. 1" guy, while Danny Amendola and rookie Marty Gilyard will also get their share of catches.

The Rams don't have many "core" young players to build around, so it's especially disappointing when one of them is lost.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:58 PM   #1952
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Anybody see this Chris Ivory kid from the Saints? WOW!!! They aren't going to miss Mike Bell down in those parts, that Ivory kid is a stud. Sadly I would say he is better than all but maybe Knowshon and even with Buckhalter. Kid has crazy power and at 225 just showed some nice speed... And a pretty nasty stiff arm to boot!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #1953
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

We're not ready to crown Ivory because of 1 play now are we?
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #1954
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

LaDainian Tomlinson looks like he may have little more burst this year.

The Jets may be able to squeeze a couple of years out of him backing up/filling in for Shonn Greene.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #1955
kamakazi_kal

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mayhem Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post
LaDainian Tomlinson looks like he may have little more burst this year.

The Jets may be able to squeeze a couple of years out of him backing up/filling in for Shonn Greene.
I wouldn't be shocked if he pushed him for playing time with his power. That line is made for power blocking ..... monsters.
kamakazi_kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #1956
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi_kal View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if he pushed him for playing time with his power. That line is made for power blocking ..... monsters.
The Jets should run the ball....and then run the ball some more.

It's something to behold when you can run the ball like they did last year....imposing your will on a team is a beautiful thing.

They ran the ball for a league leading 172.3 yards per game last year.

Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 08-27-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #1957
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
We're not ready to crown Ivory because of 1 play now are we?
He had a few nice places and SP seems to be really high on him. Then he had "That one play, where he ran over a guy showing his power, sprinted down the sidelines, stopped/jukes to the open field, hit the speed, and finished it off with a nice little stiff arm".

I knew there would be somebody that said that... It's kind of like TDs big ST hit. Sure they noticed him before the hit, but that play is what got him a spot and ultimately the opportunity to be greAt.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #1958
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
He had a few nice places and SP seems to be really high on him. Then he had "That one play, where he ran over a guy showing his power, sprinted down the sidelines, stopped/jukes to the open field, hit the speed, and finished it off with a nice little stiff arm".

I knew there would be somebody that said that... It's kind of like TDs big ST hit. Sure they noticed him before the hit, but that play is what got him a spot and ultimately the opportunity to be greAt.
And to think if we didn't have 4 preseason games that run would have never happened.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #1959
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

What's the deal with this penalty being called because the "ball was snapped before the umpire was in position"?

I don't know much about it, but right now I'm thinking this is goofy. The way I understand it is the Field Judge (who used to set up behind the LB's) is now on the offensive side of the ball. He's the guy that spots the ball for the next play, but now he has to run twice as far to set up before the ball can be snapped.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #1960
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Donte' Stallworth breaks bone in his foot

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-in-his-foot/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 28, 2010 11:10 PM ET After missing last season to suspension, Ravens receiver Donte' Stallworth will likely miss half of this season to injury.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Saturday that Stallworth broke a bone in his foot against the Giants, but the injury isn't season ending. He will have surgery to have a screw inserted, and Harbaugh mentioned that he could return around Baltimore's Week Eight bye week.

Stallworth actually played behind Mark Clayton as the team's No. 3 receiver in the team's first two preseason games, but Stallworth was expected to have a key role in the offense as a vertical threat.

It sounds like the Ravens plan to keep a roster spot open for Stallworth in the meantime.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #1961
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

The Cincinnati Bengals released receiver Antonio Bryant, the team announced Sunday.

Bryant was a major disappointment after signing a four-year, $28 million contract this offseason with just under $8 million guaranteed.

He signed with Cincinnati despite offseason knee surgery that hadn't fully healed. He struggled in minicamp and training camp and didn't play a game in a Bengals uniform. The writing was on the wall for Bryant once Cincinnati signed veteran receiver Terrell Owens to replace Bryant in the starting lineup.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #1962
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

So does he get to keep all his 8mil guaranteed money
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #1963
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

BTW Toby Gerhart looks terrible. I've only seen him briefly but ya slow and smallish looking (idk how that is but ya).
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #1964
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
So does he get to keep all his 8mil guaranteed money
Bold, should be your first clue.

Actually, I think I heard it was $7m... but yeah, he got paid pretty well for being out the last 4 months! Great work if you can find it! On avg. he's doing better than guys like Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf did!
Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #1965
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABronco View Post
BTW Toby Gerhart looks terrible. I've only seen him briefly but ya slow and smallish looking (idk how that is but ya).
I only got to see him run three or four times, but I thought he looked pretty ordinary as well. Certainly not 2nd round worthy.

Most impressive back I've seen so far this preseason was Chris Ivory followed by Ryan Mathews and CJ Spiller.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #1966
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...Throw-him-down

^awesome! Unmitigated brutality, good stuff.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #1967
snowspot66
Ring of Famer

Quote:

It's too bad you have to suck as hard as the Lions to have a shot at a guy like that. What a monster.
snowspot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 AM   #1968
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:

Ummmm, no. There's really no place for that in the NFL. If he had tried that with Orton and caused him to miss significant time, I'd be less than pleased to say the least.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:20 AM   #1969
DivineBronco
Ring of Famer

if you like Cutler you are my enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Ummmm, no. There's really no place for that in the NFL. If he had tried that with Orton and caused him to miss significant time, I'd be less than pleased to say the least.
baseball is nice this time of year.....you might enjoy that
DivineBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #1970
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Cowboys cut Pat Watkins

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-pat-watkins/

Posted by Mike Florio on August 30, 2010 10:19 AM ET

As Tuesday's initial 80-to-75-man roster reduction deadline approaches, more and more names will be trickling out.

The Cowboys have added a quasi-recognizable name to the list by cutting safety Pat Watkins, according to Jason La Canfora of NFL Network. (Technically, the new was broken on Twitter by Cowboys tight end Martellus Bennett, who called Watkins his "best friend".)

A fifth-round draft pick in 2006, Watkins appeared in 13 games and started one in 2009. He contributed primarily on special teams.

The four-year veteran was blocked from becoming an unrestricted free agent in March, due to the rules of the uncapped year. The Cowboys offered him a non-guaranteed tender of $1.176 million.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #1971
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

That is good news for my boy Barry Church (UDFA rookie safety from Toledo)....that means he will probably make the Cowboys regular season roster.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:46 AM   #1972
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

UDFA rookie WR Stephen Williams from Toledo has been kicking ass for Arizona this preseason as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 AM   #1973
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Aww shucks the grown ups are here.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #1974
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Bold, should be your first clue.

Actually, I think I heard it was $7m... but yeah, he got paid pretty well for being out the last 4 months! Great work if you can find it! On avg. he's doing better than guys like Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf did!
Damn that's alot of jack for not even practicing am I right
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #1975
BMarsh615
Ring of Famer

21ís No Champ

Adopt-a-Bronco:
# 15

DeAngelo Hall will not be punked by tall female reporters

DeAngelo Hall is not about to let a female reporter make him look short. That's why he asks Comcast Sportsnet Washington's Kelli Johnson take off her high heels when she interviews him.

Confronted on the topic by Johnson's colleague, Chick Hernandez, Hall copped to the truth.

"She was too tall. If I was 6 feet like [Carlos Rogers], I wouldn't have to do that, but I'm 5-11, so she definitely had to take them heels off for me," Hall said.

"He demands I do this every time," Johnson added. (Visual evidence and quotes provided by Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog.)

I can identify with Hall. Unfortunately, Johnson would still be taller than me even if she was slightly crouching with her shoes off.

(I also once dated a girl in college that was three inches taller than me. When she wore heels to dinner, it looked like her 12-year-old brother was visiting for the weekend.)

My advice to Hall: own your height. It lacks confidence to cover it up. The Redskins only list you at 5-10, which means you are probably shorter than that.

I also recommend dating short women. That helps.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ale-reporters/
BMarsh615 is offline   Reply With Quote