The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > Off Topics Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #4101
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default



Hate to double post, just been into early BOC as of late
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #4102
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,789
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #4103
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,789
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #4104
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

I'm going way way back with Suicidal Tendencies - Join the Army

My favorite song off the album...

Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #4105
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,365

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

This is my jam cause I'm unemployed!

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #4106
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,568

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
I'm going way way back with Suicidal Tendencies - Join the Army

My favorite song off the album...

nice post. these guys will forever be underrated, this album in particular.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #4107
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,568

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Was cleaning out my storage unit and came across this vinyl beauty. Bought it for the teets on the cover but ended up backing into a stellar album. Naturally sounds dated today, but still has a bite to it.

Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:44 PM   #4108
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
This is my jam cause I'm unemployed!

Being unemployed sucks, too bad you couldn't find some crap job to get you through so this could be your song.

Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:59 AM   #4109
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!
 
L.A. BRONCOS FAN's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a bunker in an undisclosed location
Posts: 54,789
Default

L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #4110
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

You guys nailed it with these two ... the soundtrack of my teen years.


Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post

The early "spooky" themed stuff, Dominance and Submission, etc... that was okay, but I was a bit "out of step" with other BOC fans ... sure, I liked 'Don't Fear the Reaper,' but the rest of Agents of Fortune was where the action was, for me. Morning Final, Sinful Love, and Tattoo Vampire great examples:






Some good misfortune in my sophomore year caused me to mistakenly buy Frampton, a studio record, instead of Frampton Comes Alive. To this day Frampton is one of my Top 10 favorite albums. Even in a castle it's the kitchen. Just like BOC though, it wasn't Show me the Way or Baby I Love Your Way that did it for me ... it was Fanfare, Crying Clown, Nowhere's Too Far, and this gem here.

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #4111
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
You guys nailed it with these two ... the soundtrack of my teen years.

The early "spooky" themed stuff, Dominance and Submission, etc... that was okay, but I was a bit "out of step" with other BOC fans ... sure, I liked 'Don't Fear the Reaper,' but the rest of Agents of Fortune was where the action was, for me. Morning Final, Sinful Love, and Tattoo Vampire great examples:>
The first two BOC albums I really like a lot. No surprise really since I love the production of those two records and I'm basically a devotee/student of Richard Meltzer. I always found Agents (which is an undeniable classic) to be interesting because of the vague elements of Doo Wop (True Confessions), collaborations with Patti Smith and an overall lightening up of the sound. Not exactly the type of things mid-70's hard rock acts were doing at the time, then again, BOC was far more interesting than any of those bands right up to Fire Of Unknown Origin. After that album, they ran out of gas for good.

Last edited by Hogan11; 08-06-2010 at 09:28 AM..
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #4112
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
The first two BOC albums I really like a lot. No surprise really since I love the production of those two records and I'm basically a devotee/student of Richard Meltzer. I always found Agents (which is an undeniable classic) to be interesting because of the vague elements of Doo Wop (True Confessions), collaborations with Patti Smith and an overall lightening up of the sound. Not exactly the type of things mid-70's hard rock acts were doing at the time.
Exactly, not at all like other 70's arena-rockers ... and not like their spooky B&W period, either, not sure how that image-marketing plan got started.

Glad you like Agents, great points about Patty Smith narrating and singing on Vera Gemini, and the quirky True Confessions vocal style - that song written by Alan Lanier, Patti Smith's longtime husband or significant other.

Side Two though, wow. I just got blasted with it again here on YouTube, pretty powerful. Sinful Love ... Tattoo Vampire ... Morning Final ... Tenderloin ... amazing 4 in a row, then finish the album with Debbie Denise, a bitter-sweet lament for the R&R widow, much like Kiss's Beth.

Thanks for the Meltzer reference, this is a great article.

Incidentally, in another variation, this Top 40 pop number In Thee was written by Lanier for Smith:
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #4113
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,568

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
The first two BOC albums I really like a lot. No surprise really since I love the production of those two records and I'm basically a devotee/student of Richard Meltzer. I always found Agents (which is an undeniable classic) to be interesting because of the vague elements of Doo Wop (True Confessions), collaborations with Patti Smith and an overall lightening up of the sound. Not exactly the type of things mid-70's hard rock acts were doing at the time, then again, BOC was far more interesting than any of those bands right up to Fire Of Unknown Origin. After that album, they ran out of gas for good.

These guys are bound for stardom.


Sincerely,

Bruce Dickinson
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #4114
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan
You better catch him while you can by the sounds of what I've heard. He came through my area touring with Yes a couple of months ago and while I didn't go (I would've liked to have seen what was left of Yes), hearing from people who did said it was a subpar, lifeless show by both acts.
Frampton and Yes came through here a few weeks back. I was telling LABF how I missed getting the last couppla reserved seats by an hour or two.

Dunno what your friends saw, he's always great live. Yes does have Rick Wakeman's son on keyboards now, and they always were pretty much a snoozer live, soooo...
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #4115
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Frampton and Yes came through here a few weeks back. I was telling LABF how I missed getting the last couppla reserved seats by an hour or two.

Dunno what your friends saw, he's always great live. Yes does have Rick Wakeman's son on keyboards now, and they always were pretty much a snoozer live, soooo...
I deleted this because I didn't want to get into another flame war and/or detract from the makings of a good BOC discussion, but it's true. Maybe an off night for them both or something, but yeah, they came away pretty disappointed by both performances.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #4116
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Exactly, not at all like other 70's arena-rockers ... and not like their spooky B&W period, either, not sure how that image-marketing plan got started.

Glad you like Agents, great points about Patty Smith narrating and singing on Vera Gemini, and the quirky True Confessions vocal style - that song written by Alan Lanier, Patti Smith's longtime husband or significant other.

Side Two though, wow. I just got blasted with it again here on YouTube, pretty powerful. Sinful Love ... Tattoo Vampire ... Morning Final ... Tenderloin ... amazing 4 in a row, then finish the album with Debbie Denise, a bitter-sweet lament for the R&R widow, much like Kiss's Beth.

Thanks for the Meltzer reference, this is a great article.

Incidentally, in another variation, this Top 40 pop number In Thee was written by Lanier for Smith:
I didn't mind Mirrors, but for some reason, never picked it up. Same thing goes for Secret Treaties & Spectres...I may have to do something about that soon as the entire catalog is cheap enough to pick up a lot of it for very little.

Meltzer is the Man to me, one of the guiding lights. I own almost all his books and reread them often. A Whore Just Like the Rest: The Music Writings of Richard Meltzer is the one I'd highly recommended. A great overview of his titles and every bit as insightful (and maybe moreso) than anything Bangs ever wrote.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:31 AM   #4117
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

"I still consider Agents of Fortune to be perhaps the greatest Heavy Metal album of all time, mainly for its intelligence."
- Xavier Russell, Kerrang


I bet you know who Xavier is. You're gonna love this: http://www.blueoystercult.com/Studio/5Agents.html

"More Cowbell" indeed, sir.


I think I will pick up that book, thanks. Hard to bag on Bangs, though
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:23 AM   #4118
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Agents and Frampton ... two of my Top Ten albums, nice

Hogan, I don't get how PF's live performance could be panned like that. Everybody has off-nights of course, but Frampton's energy and charisma live - even today - are hard to question. Plus there's that whole thing caled Frampton Comes A-LIVE?

Here's another live classic ... on the Midnight Special, just four months before 'Comes Alive!' was released.

Of the Frampton album ... dunno how they kept this one off the live record.

LABF shot me the tuning and tabs for this song awhile back ... dunno where they are now?
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #4119
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian
 
Hogan11's Avatar
 
Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: W.NY.B.C.
Posts: 21,000

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
"I still consider Agents of Fortune to be perhaps the greatest Heavy Metal album of all time, mainly for its intelligence."
- Xavier Russell, Kerrang


I bet you know who Xavier is. You're gonna love this: http://www.blueoystercult.com/Studio/5Agents.html

"More Cowbell" indeed, sir.


I think I will pick up that book, thanks. Hard to bag on Bangs, though
Yeah, I know who Xavier is and I respect what he's done. In retrospect however, it's kinda difficult to call Agents a heavy metal album. Sure it has elements of it, but it also has elements of prog rock and new wave in it as well and one style doesn't seem to dominate the other.

Who's bagging on Bangs? What I ment was where Bangs would sometimes wander off into the abstract in his writing, Meltzer does not and that's more in tune with my sensibilities.

Quote:
Hogan, I don't get how PF's live performance could be panned like that. Everybody has off-nights of course, but Frampton's energy and charisma live - even today - are hard to question. Plus there's that whole thing caled Frampton Comes A-LIVE?
Again Buff, I wasn't there, just reporting from people who were. It was probably an off night or it could've been the venue itself if Frampton & Yes were bummed playing in basically a bar's backyard. I dunno. (incidently, they've had a bunch of now B-list bands play there the last couple of years and several gave bad performances...Heart, Molly Hatchet & Foreigner come to mind as ones people were particularly upset about).

And let's be honest here, Frampton Comes Alive may be a 70's signpost live album (and responsible for a mega ton of double live albums being released in the mid 70's...whether or not that's a good thing is entirely up to the individual), but to expect the same type of performance some 30+ years later night after night is an impossible task for anyone.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #4120
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
Agents and Frampton ... two of my Top Ten albums, nice

Hogan, I don't get how PF's live performance could be panned like that. Everybody has off-nights of course, but Frampton's energy and charisma live - even today - are hard to question. Plus there's that whole thing caled Frampton Comes A-LIVE?

Here's another live classic ... on the Midnight Special, just four months before 'Comes Alive!' was released.

Of the Frampton album ... dunno how they kept this one off the live record.

LABF shot me the tuning and tabs for this song awhile back ... dunno where they are now?
Speaking of Frampton, I love "lines on my face" that song drips pain.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #4121
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Speaking of Frampton, I love "lines on my face" that song drips pain.
You're right ... the live version especially. The lyric never moved me by itself, but you really feel it in the performance, it drips pain.


And speaking of "dripping pain" .... guys, try to broaden your thinking here a minute, . . . B r o a d e n . . . for another top-notch pain-dripper, the Brooks and Dunn classic Neon Moon.

Layered over a calypso-like backbeat, sittin' in the proverbial bar cross the railroad tracks, this poor bastard seethes sadness and desperation. "Don't know how many lies that I've lied, tellin' my poor heart she'll come back someday."

Dunno about you, but I know that bar, I've been there.

Ronnie Dunn wrote it, Ronnie Dunn sings it. His finest hour.


Last edited by BroncoBuff; 08-07-2010 at 10:30 AM..
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #4122
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Though I suppose if you REALLY want to talk about dripping the pain of lost love ...

you can always look to the undefeated and still heavyweight retire-the-belt-forever champion.

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 AM   #4123
Los Broncos
Broncos Country
 
Los Broncos's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Eastern Utah
Posts: 18,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBuff View Post
You're right ... the live version especially. The lyric never moved me by itself, but you really feel it in the performance, it drips pain.


And speaking of "dripping pain" .... guys, try to broaden your thinking here a minute, . . . B r o a d e n . . . for another top-notch pain-dripper, the Brooks and Dunn classic Neon Moon.

Layered over a calypso-like backbeat, sittin' in the proverbial bar cross the railroad tracks, this poor bastard seethes sadness and desperation. "Don't know how many lies that I've lied, tellin' my poor heart she'll come back someday."

Dunno about you, but I know that bar, I've been there.

Ronnie Dunn wrote it, Ronnie Dunn sings it. His finest hour.

Love that song.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #4124
BroncoBuff
***************
 
BroncoBuff's Avatar
 
Playing for January

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 26,127

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Clady View Post
Love that song.
Now THAT'S the broad-minded approach of a 21st Century man!

The kind of man for whom life is a rich tapestry ...

A tapestry broad enough to welcome alongside a life partner ... a soul mate.

(I do like country music, but that I've never done).


In honor of your pending nuptials to the lovely Fanny, allow me:

BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM   #4125
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,365

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

WOOT.

Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Denver Broncos