The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #26
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I think this is the best advice you could possibly get.

Step 1: Make a clean break now (or just trick her into it by telling her you'll move to SC with her, have her go first while your "2 weeks notice" goes through, and just change your phone number)

Step 2: Have some fun. Texas has an assload of pretty girls and you're only 25. Relax, go out, and play, BUT...

Step 3: Save as much money as humanly possible. Go out, but don't be stupid. Have a girlfriend or three, but don't be stupid. Save as much money as humanly possible.

Step 4: Hit up ak about helping you put together a solid investment portfolio and pour every penny you can manage into it over the next year or two.

Step 5: You're 27, with good memories, and flatout ballin, with the financial freedom and more life experience to decide what and where you want to do with the rest of your life.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
FantomForce
Long live the Mane!

The Incredible BULK!

Happy Wife = Happy Life , you don't have to give everything up. But if you explain to her that you are more than willing to look for a job and when one is found you wouldn't mind moving I think she will be fine, but make sure and live up to your part
FantomForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #28
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoneco1331 View Post
The issues are not solely on her. There were bad things said by my mom to my brother's wife, and my family likes to think themselves up and be elitist. My fiance' comes from a poor upbringing, that barely scraps by and basically, my family thinks she isn't good enough for me. I love her, and hate the attitude of my family. Heck, my brother flat out told me not to put my fiance's daughter in the daycare he uses for his kids, with the hint that it would "corrupt" them.

This is the reason why I posted this, because I wanted thoughts on people who I know would give different opinions based on the ones I've heard already.

She was adopted by the way, and her "mom" was 50 years old when she got her and died when she was 15, and her mom left her with basically everything. Well, she had step-siblings who were twice her age, and hated her. Needless to say, a 15 year old can't get inheritance until 18 I believe, and her siblings took her in, got what they wanted from her, and kicked her to the curb and forced her to drop out. That is what happened.

Also, we have no means of taking a week off, and flying there to spend a week, we simply don't have the money to do so. We would have enough to get there, and get set up with a roommate friend(female) and get to work.
Knew the bad blood with the family was related back to her.

You're on a one-way ticket to self-loathing. Don't be stupid.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #29
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

dropped out of high school, dead set on getting a GED (why isnt it already done if its that important) 4 yo kid. cant keep a job because she doesn't like it.

now, she says no problem i know someone who will get you hired and you trust that?

and your leaving your accounting job?

2 things,

1. this is not a girl i would keep if you value your long term prospects just based on behavior.

2. if you are dead set on being with her, it's easier to get a job when your employed, keep your job and apply, do not quit, especially with her as the backup plan.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #30
Grumps
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
The issues are not solely on her. There were bad things said by my mom to my brother's wife, and my family likes to think themselves up and be elitist. My fiance' comes from a poor upbringing, that barely scraps by and basically, my family thinks she isn't good enough for me. I love her, and hate the attitude of my family. Heck, my brother flat out told me not to put my fiance's daughter in the daycare he uses for his kids, with the hint that it would "corrupt" them.

This is the reason why I posted this, because I wanted thoughts on people who I know would give different opinions based on the ones I've heard already.

She was adopted by the way, and her "mom" was 50 years old when she got her and died when she was 15, and her mom left her with basically everything. Well, she had step-siblings who were twice her age, and hated her. Needless to say, a 15 year old can't get inheritance until 18 I believe, and her siblings took her in, got what they wanted from her, and kicked her to the curb and forced her to drop out. That is what happened.

Also, we have no means of taking a week off, and flying there to spend a week, we simply don't have the money to do so. We would have enough to get there, and get set up with a roommate friend(female) and get to work.
If/when you get married, my advice on the family part is to let them deal with it. Your wife needs to come first and foremost. If they can't handle that, then it is on them. Putting anything before your wife will result in an unhappy, and most likely, failed marriage.
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #31
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
"She hasn't had a job because she continues to get hired at a place and either not like it"
People don't typically work because it's 'fun' - they work because they have bills to pay. Now you shouldn't stay working somewhere you are miserable - but the whole 'I didn't like it' at multiple places is a red flag. Have your girl get a job and KEEP IT for six months - THEN start making 'us' plans. Moving across country with nothing lined up is asking for disaster (you begging to move into your parent's basement, or the like)

Also - 'she's going to get her GED' is the equivalent of 'she hasn't gotten her GED'. She's certainly had the time, considering her age. A lot of people are 'thinking of going back' or 'really committed to getting a degree' or whatever.

Last edited by DrFate; 04-27-2010 at 12:06 PM..
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #32
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Unfortunately, love does not conquer all. Except in the movies.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #33
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

I will say, that my current job is not an Accounting job, it is a Bookkepper job that pays $30,000 a year, which is why I said its okay, but I can do better. I mainly had to get it because of the economy, nobody would hire an inexperienced, recent grad.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #34
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
I will say, that my current job is not an Accounting job, it is a Bookkepper job that pays $30,000 a year, which is why I said its okay, but I can do better. I mainly had to get it because of the economy, nobody would hire an inexperienced, recent grad.
Nothing is wrong with that job - fresh out of school, you have to start building your resume. That's normally how it works. The mistake is thinking you can support 3 mouths on that income and start making a life for yourself.
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #35
Bronco Yoda

Do it.

You're young and have little to tie you down. You have an education that will allow you to work anywhere.

You only live once. If she's the most important thing to you... then there is little to lose and everything to gain. Your relationship will either cement from this or shatter from such stresses. Know this now and keep a plan B in your pocket.

She can take community college classes until she's up to speed to transfer to a university.

Don't let fear rule your life. You can do this. Two years from now you'll be looking back at this and wondering why you even thought twice about it.

Good luck my friend.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #36
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
So do better.

And I'm not just talking your job

Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #37
Mr.Meanie
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Step 1: Make a clean break now (or just trick her into it by telling her you'll move to SC with her, have her go first while your "2 weeks notice" goes through, and just change your phone number)

Step 2: Have some fun. Texas has an assload of pretty girls and you're only 25. Relax, go out, and play, BUT...

Step 3: Save as much money as humanly possible. Go out, but don't be stupid. Have a girlfriend or three, but don't be stupid. Save as much money as humanly possible.

Step 4: Hit up ak about helping you put together a solid investment portfolio and pour every penny you can manage into it over the next year or two.

Step 5: You're 27, with good memories, and flatout ballin, with the financial freedom and more life experience to decide what and where you want to do with the rest of your life.
Step 3-5 are very good advice. Live below your means and pile up every dollar you can into an investment account. Don't invest it in a retirement account... use it as active capital to find good deals you can buy below market value. That's the true way, IMO, to financial freedom.

Anyways, ditching your fiance solely because of baggage is bad advice unless you don't really care for her. Bailing out on something or someone just because it's hard is the loser's way out. If she's "The One" then help her through her baggage and make it work. If not, then yes follow the above advice.
Mr.Meanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #38
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I get the sense that you're looking more for affirmation than real advice. That's okay - we all do that. But I'll tell you what - even though a guy like Rev doesn't get much right, I think there's some truth to what he says.

I will counsel my son when he's ready to get married (he's 12, so it will hopefully be awhile). I'll counsel him on a lot of things - all of which I've learned through experience. If he was in your situation, I would gently try and steer him in a different direction. Marriage (or a long-term relationship) is hard under the best of circumstances. It's completely worthwhile, IMO - but it's a lot of work. The obstacles you've described create an environment that will make it even more difficult - I would argue it's close to impossible.

I realize you're not talking about marriage, necessarily. But the thought process is a lot the same, in your situation.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #39
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meanie View Post
Step 3-5 are very good advice. Live below your means and pile up every dollar you can into an investment account. Don't invest it in a retirement account... use it as active capital to find good deals you can buy below market value. That's the true way, IMO, to financial freedom.

Anyways, ditching your fiance solely because of baggage is bad advice unless you don't really care for her. Bailing out on something or someone just because it's hard is the loser's way out. If she's "The One" then help her through her baggage and make it work. If not, then yes follow the above advice.
I don't believe there is any such thing as "The One." I think there's a fairly large percentage of people with whom you can make it work, assuming both people are willing to put their full effort into it. But I digress.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #40
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
I get the sense that you're looking more for affirmation than real advice. That's okay - we all do that. But I'll tell you what - even though a guy like Rev doesn't get much right, I think there's some truth to what he says.

I will counsel my son when he's ready to get married (he's 12, so it will hopefully be awhile). I'll counsel him on a lot of things - all of which I've learned through experience. If he was in your situation, I would gently try and steer him in a different direction. Marriage (or a long-term relationship) is hard under the best of circumstances. It's completely worthwhile, IMO - but it's a lot of work. The obstacles you've described create an environment that will make it even more difficult - I would argue it's close to impossible.

I realize you're not talking about marriage, necessarily. But the thought process is a lot the same, in your situation.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #41
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

And when I was in the military, I saw a lot of people jump into marriages. Nothing makes you more dedicated to that other person than having absolutely noone else to turn to. It often times is deceiving and a mistake but they'll become your world as you have nothing else as an outlet to gauge. If your intent isn't already marriage, DEFINITELY run the other way.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #42
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

The Rev has a brash of of writing things but a lot of them are spot on.

You really need to evaluate your future with her. Are you settling for her or is she someone you can see yourself with 50 years down the road? If you don't know, your answer is already made.

The only issue I have is you are moving to an area that isolates you from your family (no matter how bad they are right now). Do you live together? if so, I would suggest you spend a little free time soul searching.

If you do move to SC (it's fun for about a week) then do not marry, promise to marry her, hint that you will marry her. Explain this is a trail process and you reserve the right (as she does) to walk away at any time.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #43
Bronco Yoda

Don't let these guys scare you. Trust your heart.

What do you have to lose? Your business...ummm no. Your house...umm no. If you're ever going to take a leap of faith, nows the time. It won't always be this easy to try something like this. Sooner than you think life will tie you down.

So what if you have to crawl home to the parents and start over. At least you would have tried. Is this your 'dream job'...doubtful.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #44
robbieopperude
Perennial Pro-bowler

Shannon to Canton!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

Something to think about but hasn't been mentioned yet is the situation the four year old will be put in. Is he/she in school? If so you really shouldn't move with only about a month or so of pre-school left. Also I would never move without having enough money in the bank to support a couple months of rent in case things happen. You should follow your heart but also be prepared financially. You are both young so I would take the risks now. I also like the advice about investigating communities to live in and also jobs before you leave. That stuff is very important. Also it concerns me that your gf can't hold down a job in Texas. If serving is the option she should be able to do that anywhere. I think some of the best economies right now are in Wyoming, North Dakota, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana. The downside is you won't see much sand up here.
robbieopperude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #45
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:

This!

And what Dom said.

Mend things up with your family, when you get in a pinch you will need your family, you are young yet. Save you dough and enjoy your life.

If you ever need to make a decision and you think it could be the wrong one, then it is make the right one no matter how painfull and move on.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #46
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
Don't let these guys scare you. Trust your heart.

What do you have to lose? Your business...ummm no. Your house...umm no. If you're ever going to take a leap of faith, nows the time. It won't always be this easy to try something like this. Sooner than you think life will tie you down.

So what if you have to crawl home to the parents and start over. At least you would have tried. Is this your 'dream job'...doubtful.
His future.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #47
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Imagine different scenarios when you get to the one than makes your heart sing choose that one and don't look back. Do that all your life and you will be a free man.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #48
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Who gives a **** what internet peeps think, do what you want.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #49
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I agree with what many others have said so far. Being the educated, stable, breadwinner in this relationship, you owe it to everyone involved (you, the girl and her kid) to find a job out there first before making the move. This economy may seem like it's getting better, but the job market is still very sluggish and only improving in certain areas. Your resume will be in competition with hundreds, if not thousands, of desperate job seekers. It's very hard to stand out. Therefore, you will be a number to any company looking to hire.

Waitress jobs are a dime a dozen and do not serve as any stabilizing factor in the household. And while you are 25 years old, I have seen many job-seeking people get caught in a vicious cycle of career instability because they take a job just to draw a paycheck, then they jump instantly for something they perceive to be better, only to get laid off due to downsizing, then start the whole process over again.

Don't do this on a whim. Being smart about this move doesn't mean you love her any less....it just proves you have learned some things about life over the years and you are a man who strategically seeks out the best option for the people he supports.

BTW, for credibility's sake, I am a corporate recruiter (11 years of experience) who works on a nationwide basis. I constantly study market trends and assist people make life-changing decisions involving their careers, their families, their homes and their future.

Trust me...take it slow. Seek solid, objective advice. Investigate. Ask questions. Talk to realtors in the area about the real estate and economic climate. You may love this gal and her daughter, but you may end up resenting her if things don't work out the way she portrayed.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #50
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

What these pussies are beating around the bush instead of coming out and saying:

Sack up. Gain some self worth. Find precisely what you want in life. Go take it.

Watch this till you feel it: